PDA

View Full Version : Best GEDmatch Autosomal Calculator For West Eurasians

Black Wolf
08-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Recently I asked Polako which of his calculators on GEDmatch is the very best for sorting out the different types of autosomal ancestry for West Eurasians. Here is what I asked below.

''Which test of your's on GEDmatch would you say is probably the very best for separating out different types of autosomal ancestry for West Eurasians? Would it be the Eurogenes K9 calculator?''

And his reply.

''Yeah, I'd say the K9 or the hunter-gatherer test.''

I then asked him about the origins of the North European or Baltic hunter-gatherer (essentially just North European) component in these calculators as it is the component that makes up the majority of my own results.

''Okay thanks. My last question for this one here then. How did the North European component from the K9 or the Baltic hunter-gatherer component from the hunter-gatherer vs. farmer which is essentially just a North European ancestral component become so widespread and become the dominant ancestral component from Ireland in the west to Russia in the East?''

And his reply.

''Basically because these populations share similar ancestry and genetic drift. But I don't think anyone really knows the details yet of why that is so. The answer probably lies in what happened in Central Europe during the late Neolithic/early Bronze Age, when the modern European gene pool formed.''

Kadu
08-27-2013, 01:06 AM
How did the North European component from the K9 or the Baltic hunter-gatherer component from the hunter-gatherer vs. farmer which is essentially just a North European ancestral component become so widespread and become the dominant ancestral component from Ireland in the west to Russia in the East?'

The North European components are basically an hybrid between Danubian farmers who have entered Europe through Anatolia via the Danube river basin and pockets of hunter-gatherers sprinkled from the shores of the Atlantic to the Volga river basin. I believe there was also some genetic substructure among hunter-gatherers, Western European HGs must have been somewhat different from Volga HGs, usually Northwest and Baltic components are sister components with very little Fst distance between them, followed of course by West Asian and Anatolian components, I suppose therefore that the west/east substructure must have been the differentiating element.

I guess we will know more as soon as remains of LBK individuals or others belonging to subsequent Central European cultures get tested.

Black Wolf
08-27-2013, 01:49 AM
The North European components are basically an hybrid between Danubian farmers who have entered Europe through Anatolia via the Danube river basin and pockets of hunter-gatherers sprinkled from the shores of the Atlantic to the Volga river basin. I believe there was also some genetic substructure among hunter-gatherers, Western European HGs must have been somewhat different from Volga HGs, usually Northwest and Baltic components are sister components with very little Fst distance between them, followed of course by West Asian and Anatolian components, I suppose therefore that the west/east substructure must have been the differentiating element.

I guess we will know more as soon as remains of LBK individuals or others belonging to subsequent Central European cultures get tested.

So the North European component from the Eurogenes K9 and Hunter-gatherer vs. Farmer calculators is the combination of both the Northwest European and Baltic components from the other more detailed analysis?

Kadu
08-27-2013, 02:18 AM
So the North European component from the Eurogenes K9 and Hunter-gatherer vs. Farmer calculators is the combination of both the Northwest European and Baltic components from the other more detailed analysis?

Yes, if you notice at K=10 the North European component splits up into East European and North Atlantic.

Black Wolf
08-27-2013, 03:32 AM
Yes, if you notice at K=10 the North European component splits up into East European and North Atlantic.

Yes this actually makes sense as on the K9 I score around 60% North European and if I add my North Atlantic and East European components together on the K10 I get a score that is around 67% which is not much higher really.

Would this below make sense then do you think?

Eurogenes K10:

North Atlantic=West European Mesolithic hunter-gatherers + Danubian Neolithic farmers

East European=East European Mesolithic hunter-gatherers + Danubian Neolithic farmers

Kadu
08-27-2013, 04:13 AM
Would this below make sense then do you think?

Eurogenes K10:

North Atlantic=West European Mesolithic hunter-gatherers + Danubian Neolithic farmers

East European=East European Mesolithic hunter-gatherers + Danubian Neolithic farmers

Perhaps this specific North Atlantic component is also slightly Sardinian-like, Mediterranean-influenced and not strictly Anatolian, I would have to check an Fst table to be sure.
I'm not a big fan of calculators and neither of the supervised mode, it's like trying to profile a contemporary population using a 1980's census or using New Yorkers as the benchmark of Americanness, I would rather go with gathering every sample that I could - especially from monoethnic people like myself or ancient DNA - the bigger the dataset the more accurate a run will be. Eurogenes has very good unsupervised ADMIXTURE runs though, namely the following...

WE.13 (http://bga101.blogspot.pt/2012/03/admixture-analysis-of-west-eurasia-k13.html)
Euro_Test_K8 (http://bga101.blogspot.pt/2012/04/so-whos-most-european-of-us-all.html)

A1234567
08-27-2013, 08:23 PM
^My Finno-Ugric cousin!

Philo
08-27-2013, 08:30 PM
What does "West Eurasian" mean here exactly?

Equilibrium
08-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Basically Caucasian.

Kouros
03-08-2018, 02:17 AM
I like MDLP World