PDA

View Full Version : Why I left the shackles of religion.

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
I was never religious to begin with, and neither were my parents. But once I saw the contradictions, the bullshit, the hate for specific people, the amount of damage it caused the world, and how oppressed it kept me, I finally said (excuse my french) fuck religion. And here I am before you. I came to the realization at age 13 so I was quite surprised at how early I freed myself of the chains.

What about you other atheists?

Skerdilaid
08-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Good job brother!

I grew up in a Atheist family, so I don't get the religious freaks:D

Pjeter Pan
08-27-2013, 04:10 PM
I became atheist like last year but my still a catholic i still celebrate the Christian holidays :laugh:

Krampus
08-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Enver Hoxha got to you guys didn't he.

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Good job brother!

I grew up in a Atheist family, so I don't get the religious freaks:D

My parents weren't religious freaks either. Religion wasn't mentioned too many times. But it was clear my mother believed in god. My father cared about religion even less, but even he would not admit that there was no god. I don't think he believed in Jesus, or Mohammed, rather a creator of the universe but not those invented by humans.

Pjeter Pan
08-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Im 16 i cant imagine how he got me :laugh:

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 04:19 PM

Lol I wasn't even born in his time, let alone the fact that I lived in Montenegro. So that Enver Hoxha argument is illegitimate.

Kazimiera
08-27-2013, 04:19 PM
I am not a religious person. I've tried to be but it somehow doesn't make intellectual sense (religion doesn't). I suppose you could call me a secular humanist. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself an Atheist but I could say I'm pretty close.

Religion enforces behaviour by the threat of a punishment or the promise of a reward after death, depending on how you behave yourself while you are still alive. I believe that what you do on this earth you do out of the goodness of your heart, because you are a genuine person, not because a book tells you act a certain way.

I don't need a book or a prophet to tell me not to lie, not murder, not to steal. I let my conscience guide me. We are all born with a conscience which will determine how we act. You don't need to belong to a religion or even believe in a God to be a good person.

What is of greater importance to me is what we do on this planet while we are alive, and the differences we can make while we are alive. I am not concerned with death. I believe it to be like falling asleep and never waking up again. Power off, lights off, gone.

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 04:22 PM
I became atheist like last year but my still a catholic i still celebrate the Christian holidays :laugh:

You can be an atheist and still celebrate "Christian" holidays. As long as you regard it as not true.
For instance sometimes I listen to Gregorian church chants, It's not because I believe in that mumbo jumbo rather because they sing beautifully.

I also say oh my god sometimes too, but that's just out of habit.

Krampus
Lol I wasn't even born in his time, let alone the fact that I lived in Montenegro. So that Enver Hoxha argument is illegitimate.

He got to your parents then. Enver Hoxha and Tito had connections LOL

arcticwolf
Well, you are not alone, at age 14 I started having serious doubts about the religious "manna" I was being fed. No one could ever rationally explain to me why would perfection all of a sudden get creative urge? Why would absolute equanimity have wants. desires or needs of any kind. The usual BS out of love, because it works in mysterious ways, etc did not ring real or true. That's when I first got interested in Buddhism because it's all about reality, and no miracles, it's you and your perception of reality.

Blind faith is for weak minded. They can't handle reality, they are afraid of it, they need some magic to make order out of the seeming chaos of it all. Their silly minds can't handle reality as it is, they have to warp it to make sense of it all.

Pjeter Pan
08-27-2013, 04:26 PM
You can be an atheist and still celebrate "Christian" holidays. As long as you regard it as not true.
For instance sometimes I listen to Gregorian church chants, It's not because I believe in that mumbo jumbo rather because they sing beautifully.

I also say oh my god sometimes too, but that's just out of habit.
My mom and dad believe in god but we haven't been to church since sept, not even on Christmas or Easter lol. Are you still a catholic or Muslim? Or did you leave it.

Kazimiera
08-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Religion doesn't bother me much. I'm not going to sit with a religious person and tell them 100 reasons why what they believe is crap. And I expect the same in return.

I might not follow a religion, but I respect people's rights to believe what they want.

I also think that people who openly show contempt of religions are just as bound by them as those who follow them. If not even more, because they make a huge issue of pointing out how they believe in nothing, which can be equally as tiring as someone trying to convert you to be a Jehova's Witness.

Loki
Subscribed. I'll tell my story later. Atheism is the best, congrats alb0zfinest :thumb001:

Neanderthal
I was raised catholic, my mother was very religious but I never had faith on Jesus preachings.

Skerdilaid
08-27-2013, 04:30 PM
My parents weren't religious freaks either. Religion wasn't mentioned too many times. But it was clear my mother believed in god. My father cared about religion even less, but even he would not admit that there was no god. I don't think he believed in Jesus, or Mohammed, rather a creator of the universe but not those invented by humans.

I would say that's your typical Gheg family. Zoti and Perendia are first, and I never heard any traditional Albanian mention Jesus or Mohamed.

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 04:49 PM
He got to your parents then. Enver Hoxha and Tito had connections LOL

:rolleyes: Whatever connection they had it didn't have to do with religion. And even if it did you actually think my parents would buy into Titos propaganda? the enemy of the Albanians?

And how could he have gotten my parents when I just told you both my parents believe in some kind of creator?

Krampus
08-27-2013, 04:52 PM
:rolleyes: Whatever connection they had it didn't have to do with religion. And even if it did you actually think my parents would buy into Titos propaganda? the enemy of the Albanians?

And how could he have gotten my parents when I just told you both my parents believe in some kind of creator?

I hope you know I was joking...

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Well, you are not alone, at age 14 I started having serious doubts about the religious "manna" I was being fed. No one could ever rationally explain to me why would perfection all of a sudden get creative urge? Why would absolute equanimity have wants. desires or needs of any kind. The usual BS out of love, because it works in mysterious ways, etc did not ring real or true. That's when I first got interested in Buddhism because it's all about reality, and no miracles, it's you and your perception of reality.

Blind faith is for weak minded. They can't handle reality, they are afraid of it, they need some magic to make order out of the seeming chaos of it all. Their silly minds can't handle reality as it is, they have to warp it to make sense of it all.

I know many people who follow a religion not because it makes so much sense, (alot of them even admit the flaws within the bible or whatever other holy book), rather because they're afraid of death. Thinking that one day, not too long from now you will cease to exist is quite a horrifying feeling. And than this great lie is invented (religion) that after you die "you don't really die" so you have something to look forward to. And many people convince themselves of this lie till in their mind, it becomes truth.

I also agree about the argument about "being weak minded." It honestly takes quite big brain capabilities to question, rather than to just follow what your parents followed, and their parents before that and so on and so forth.

Another great thing about realizing what mumbo jumbo religion is, is this feeling of freedom. Not the kind of freedom o I can do whatever I want like, kill murder rape, rather a different kind of freedom, one that can't really be described. You feel as if though you had been mentally imprisoned all your life, and when you get out thousands of possibilities appear before you. You get a sense of clear thinking, and a sense of who you are.

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 05:00 PM
I hope you know I was joking...

I was hoping you were........

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 05:01 PM
My mom and dad believe in god but we haven't been to church since sept, not even on Christmas or Easter lol. Are you still a catholic or Muslim? Or did you leave it.

Lol read the title.

Aredhel
08-27-2013, 05:03 PM
I was born and raised in a catholic family, my mother has always encouraged me to believe in Jesus and that kind of stuff but I was never really convinced. When I was 14 years old and I became more conscious I realized I didn't want to be catholic just because all in my family belong to this religion.

Arbėrori
08-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Well, my family is quite mixed regarding religious affiliations, but I for one was never forced to be religious. My parents never enforced any kind of religion, way of thinking or anything on either me or my brother.

I personally believe in God as an Universal energy, but that's it. I don't buy the books, they're cheap. :P

Kazimiera
08-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Another great thing about realizing what mumbo jumbo religion is, is this feeling of freedom. Not o I can do whatever I want to freedom, kill murder rape, rather a feeling that can't really be described. You feel as if though you had been mentally imprisoned all your life, and when you get out thousands of possibilities appear before you. You get a sense of clear thinking, and a sense of who you are.

You still have a conscience which has absolutely nothing to do with religion. You will have to live with yourself for the rest of your life. Good luck having that on your mind. I wouldn't want to.

Pjeter Pan
08-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Lol read the title. oh okay i though you were like me. An atheist but a Christian or muslim on paper.

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Well, my family is quite mixed regarding religious affiliations, but I for one was never forced to be religious. My parents never enforced any kind of religion, way of thinking or anything on either me or my brother.

I personally believe in God as an Universal energy, but that's it. I don't buy the books, they're cheap. :P

What? BURN HIM! Crucify and than burn him! :D just kidding. But as an atheist when the head was the catholic church that was what happened.You're lucky atheists aren't like that :P

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 05:10 PM
You still have a conscience which has absolutely nothing to do with religion. You will have to live with yourself for the rest of your life. Good luck having that on your mind. I wouldn't want to.

I know I was just saying, not the kind of freedom, o now that I'm not following a religion I can murder, rape and steal. Rather a different kind of freedom.

I have found alot of times infact, alot of atheists are even more moral than theists.

Pjeter Pan
08-27-2013, 05:14 PM
I know I was just saying, not the kind of freedom, o now that I'm not following a religion I can murder, rape and steal. Rather a different kind of freedom.

I have found alot of times infact, alot of atheists are even more moral than theists.
People still did murder, rape and steal even if they were religious they didn't give a fuck. In Christianity it was ok to steal, murder and rape as long as you asked god for forgiveness :laugh:

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 05:39 PM
People still did murder, rape and steal even if they were religious they didn't give a fuck. In Christianity it was ok to steal, murder and rape as long as you asked god for forgiveness :laugh:

lol true.

Blackout
08-27-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't need a book or a prophet to tell me not to lie, not murder, not to steal. I let my conscience guide me.

What i found in the past was when i was revising for certain exams, i often already knew things that were written but i read over them anyway. Sometimes its great to read over something that which you already know but just to warm your heart and refresh your spirit. With all the wars that are going on and crimes around us, its very easy to become desensitised and alter ones state of thinking over long periods of time. You can also be sure that the same message will be preserved for future generations and for those who are astray.

We are all born with a conscience which will determine how we act. You don't need to belong to a religion or even believe in a God to be a good person.

Its important for a child to receive the correct type of discipline aswell. This can be delivered by either religious or non religious parents. After this, much care is needed so that they do not fall into the wrong crowd.

What is of greater importance to me is what we do on this planet while we are alive, and the differences we can make while we are alive.

I agree to some extent. There is alot a person can do to improve the situation here on earth and explore the unknown. There is a cure for everything, except death. The way a person lives can also potentially shape their afterlife aswell. And for those who abuse this freedom, the infamous scale of justice where all accounts will be reconciled.

That's when I first got interested in Buddhism because it's all about reality, and no miracles, it's you and your perception of reality.

What makes you so certain Buddhism is the correct faith? According to what i have read, they believe in reincarnation. How can it be explained when the population has drastically changed since medieval times?

Also, what becomes of all those fishes which have existed throughout time? There was a shortage of Cod a few years ago, i guess they are now humans. To think, at this moment those people are probably eating other Cod's at their local Fish and Chip shops!

Tell this to the people who visit Buddhist monks and get their palms read. Apparently they can tell you what 'animal' you will become when you die!

rather because they're afraid of death.

:rofl:

I can assure you mate, this is not the case! For the right cause, i would gladly give my life. http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/images/smilies/msn_sunglasses.gif

Herbalist
08-27-2013, 06:38 PM
I was brought up Roman Catholic, however, my parents ONLY did that so I wouldn't be bullied in school. My mother is very atheist, and after mass she would take me home and tell me how much bullshit it was.

alb0zfinest
08-27-2013, 06:46 PM
What i found in the past was when i was revising for certain exams, i often already knew things that were written but i read over them anyway. Sometimes its great to read over something that which you already know but just to warm your heart and refresh your spirit. With all the wars that are going on and crimes around us, its very easy to become desensitised and alter ones state of thinking over long periods of time. You can also be sure that the same message will be preserved for future generations and for those who are astray.

Its important for a child to receive the correct type of discipline aswell. This can be delivered by either religious or non religious parents. After this, much care is needed so that they do not fall into the wrong crowd.

I agree to some extent. There is alot a person can do to improve the situation here on earth and explore the unknown. There is a cure for everything, except death. The way a person lives can also potentially shape their afterlife aswell. And for those who abuse this freedom, the infamous scale of justice where all accounts will be reconciled.

What makes you so certain Buddhism is the correct faith? According to what i have read, they believe in reincarnation. How can it be explained when the population has drastically changed since medieval times?

Also, what becomes of all those fishes which have existed throughout time? There was a shortage of Cod a few years ago, i guess they are now humans. To think, at this moment those people are probably eating other Cod's at their local Fish and Chip shops!

Tell this to the people who visit Buddhist monks and get their palms read. Apparently they can tell you what 'animal' you will become when you die!

:rofl:

I can assure you mate, this is not the case! For the right cause, i would gladly give my life. http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/images/smilies/msn_sunglasses.gif

Ok buddy before you come to conclusions it's good to read or re read if you need to. I never said majority. I said alot of people that I knew follow religion because they don't want to die. OR are afraid of dying. And the idea of Heaven comforts them and gives them a reason to believe.

Anyways this isin't a atheist vs theist topic. It's just for people to share how they became atheists and their background before that.

alb0zfinest
08-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Edit..

alb0zfinest
08-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Bump

Sblast
09-01-2013, 08:31 AM
I grow up in quite a religion environment (even learned some Aramaic).
At age 15 I understood Rabbis are using cheap (and ironic) arguments from analogy, later I have learn't they take courses on how to "convince" (Kiruv style, named "Values" (Arahim). Actually how to deceive) people, while they think they must put into children faith by using the more intuitive arguments (like analogies) while reserving the ontological argument for more challenging occasions.
In short their ethnocentric culture and shortcut reasoning that they use to justify their religion over any other religion or none.