PDA

View Full Version : Feds move to control internet

Sol Invictus
10-09-2009, 04:18 AM
By Victor Thorn
American Free Press
http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/control_internet_183.html

“Barack Obama wants to shut down the Internet. He’s becoming Big Brother.”

These types of accusations are plaguing the highly criticized Cybersecurity Act of 2009 (S. 773). However, at this time, the government cannot terminate the Internet for any extended duration as there is not a “switch” that can be flipped to shut it down.

The reason is that U.S. Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are independent entities and not state-owned as they are in China or North Korea. Anyone who says the government can shut it down either doesn’t understand how the Internet works, or is pushing a fear-based agenda.

The real cause for concern revolves around how the government wants to deal with privately owned ISPs. As it stands now, the Net is reminiscent of an unregulated Wild West. But, if President Obama were to declare a “cybersecurity emergency” under this newly updated legislation, our country’s communications networks would become more vulnerable to external control.

In the Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) and Olympia Snowe (R-Me.) bill, federal authorities would create a single, standardized set of regulations for all designated private networks.

Greg Nojeim of the Center for Democracy & Technology warned in April, “if everyone builds to the same standard and the bad guys know these standards, it makes it easier for the bad guys.” Thus, rather than trying to cripple a complex, autonomous World Wide Web (a virtually impossible task), Huliq News points out, “those attacking the U.S. could break through the single standard rather than the various ones that exist now.”

If a national emergency arises, Roy Marks wrote on August 31 in “Revised Bill Still Gives Obama Unprecedented Cyber-security Powers,” “the Secretary of Commerce would have the authority to access ‘all relevant data concerning [ISPs] without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule or policy restricting such access.’”

This agency, in league with the National Security Agency (NSA), will then decide when the Internet is to be restored following any given crisis situation.

Wayne Crews, technology director at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, states, “Virtually anything networked to some other computer is potentially fair game if President Obama exercises ‘emergency powers.’”

In the meantime, researcher and activist Tom Burghardt surmised on Aug. 29 that the government and mainstream media will “become the sole conduit for critical news and information during a ‘national emergency.’”

The ominous nature of this standardization (including “cybersecurity blacklists”) is reflected in a commentary by techno-journalist Declan McCullagh. “If your company is deemed ‘critical,’ a new set of regulations kicks in involving who you can hire, what information you must disclose, and when the government would exercise control over your computers or network.”

In their zeal to freeze private online service providers, Dwight Schwab Jr., in “Still Think ‘Big Brother’ is a Silly Concept?,” notes that the heavy-handed actions mentioned earlier will ensue at the government’s sole discretion via licensed “cybersecurity professionals.”

Considering the recent spate of cyber attacks against our country, lawmakers should instead focus on strengthening the safety of their own networks. In addition, many Americans feel more threatened by the intrusiveness of their own government rather than the perpetual bogeyman used to keep us in a state of continual fear.

To augment this point, Burghardt examined the Cybersecurity Act’s sponsors. It was drafted by Rockefeller and Snowe. Both are staunch allies of the National Security Agency and the telecommunications industry. And both were “key enablers of Bush-era warrantless wiretapping and privacy-killing data mining programs that continue apace under Obama,” Burghardt points out.

“The New York Times revealed in June how a former NSA analyst described a secret database code-named Pinwale that archived foreign and domestic e-mail messages. . . . two intelligence officers confirmed that the program was still in operation,” says Burghardt.

In a June 16 NewYork Times article by James Risen and Eric Lichtblau, government officials testified before Congress that “intercepts of the private telephone calls and e-mail messages of Americans are broader than previously acknowledged.”

Where the subject of computers is concerned, right now the government is limited in their ability to shut down the Internet.

But if draconian new legislation is passed, they will greatly increase their potential to make themselves the sole providers of information in times of widespread upheaval and panic. If such an apparatus is established, Americans may find themselves in a “virtual information void” when information and technology is most needed.

mvbeleg
07-03-2010, 06:24 AM
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) just announced a major takedown of nine movie piracy sites that illegally offered first-run movies, some within just hours of their theatrical release.
Federal officials began a crackdown of alleged movie piracy sites

This action is part of an anti-piracy initiative targeting Internet counterfeiting and piracy "Operation In Our Sites" that ICE and the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York announced Wednesday.

ICE, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security, seized nine domain names: Movies-links.TV, nowmovies.com, thepiratecity.org, filespump.com, planetmoviez.com, zml.org, tvshack.net, ninjavideo.net and thisninja.net.

These sites generate revenue from ads and some also solicit donations. Federal authorities shut the illegal businesses down by seizing assets from 15 bank, PayPal, investment and advertising accounts. They also executed residential search warrants in several states.

The head of ICE, John Morton, says that the number of illegal movie sites is dramatically rising both in the U.S. and abroad, and organized crime is behind some of them. ICE is putting movie piracy front and center in this new initiative, by making its first actions to protect the movie studios' intellectual property.

The announcement was made at Disney, and the head of ICE, Assistant Secretary Morton, was joined on stage with representatives of the Motion Picture Association Member studios. The studios aided the Southern District of New York and ICE in gathering the info to prosecute the offending sites.

Morton says that the sites ICE is taking down, illegally streamed millions of movies with "millions and millions of hits on a monthly basis." Yes, new piracy sites can always pop up, but Morton tells us that if a new piracy site does launch, it'll take about a year before it can draw the kind of traffic as the sites it's shutting down today.

Pharmaceuticals, music, software, games, and everything else that can be pirated are also part of "Operation In Our Sites." ICE won't break down the exact numbers, but says that intellectual property violations cost American companies billions of dollars and the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38022758

Austin
07-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Those sites r 4 newbs ne ways.

Smaland
07-03-2010, 07:51 AM
ICE should be rounding up illegal aliens and deporting them back to Mexico, not doing this. :rolleyes2:

BiałaZemsta
07-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Internet Providers too are cracking down on Movie Piracy. I recieved an email from my provider, threatening to shut down my internet if I continue to illegally download music etc. Even if the government is able to shut down or block out torrents, people will still find ways to pirate what they want. Putting government and tax dollars into this task is a waste when it can be going towards education, border protection and so on. To begin with this is not even the government's problem. The companies that are being stolen from need to find their own way to stop this. They set themselves up by the way they distribute.

poiuytrewq0987
07-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Internet Providers too are cracking down on Movie Piracy. I recieved an email from my provider, threatening to shut down my internet if I continue to illegally download music etc. Even if the government is able to shut down or block out torrents, people will still find ways to pirate what they want. Putting government and tax dollars into this task is a waste when it can be going towards education, border protection and so on. To begin with this is not even the government's problem. The companies that are being stolen from need to find their own way to stop this. They set themselves up by the way they distribute.

I got a similar note except it was via email when I was back in America... needless to say I just kept pirating and nothing happened. :)

BiałaZemsta
07-04-2010, 12:39 AM
I got a similar note except it was via email when I was back in America... needless to say I just kept pirating and nothing happened. :)

Good to know. :thumb001: Maybe I should just keep pirating. Considering the amount of people doing it too, it would be more likely for the pirate software and torrent hosts to get busted before I do personally.

poiuytrewq0987
07-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Good to know. :thumb001: Maybe I should just keep pirating. Considering the amount of people doing it too, it would be more likely for the pirate software and torrent hosts to get busted before I do personally.

Basically I was downloading Sherlock Holmes from a website and incidentally it happened to be the same torrent Warner Bros was tracking so I was sort of caught... So they just told my internet provider about what I was doing and my IP relayed a warning to me. That was it.

BiałaZemsta
07-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Basically I was downloading Sherlock Holmes from a website and incidentally it happened to be the same torrent Warner Bros was tracking so I was sort of caught... So they just told my internet provider about what I was doing and my IP relayed a warning to me. That was it.

Similar to my situation. I was downloading HBO's "The Pacific." My internet provider is also my cable company and my cable company sells HBO. I believe that the only reason I was warned was because they were losing out on my business.

Austin
07-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Just go to the main torrent sites and read the comments to see if the download is legit before you dl it. The fake ones will always have negative comments or will be posted by some random new user that has no other torrents up hence you know it is a fake.

Bloodeagle
07-04-2010, 03:37 AM

This is nothing new. I had this happen to me back in 2003 after downloading 21 Grams from torrentreactor.
It was one of the worst movies I ever saw!

mvbeleg
07-04-2010, 04:08 AM
I have been enjoying the streaming of apparently illegally uploaded films via the watch-movies organization [whose recent domain name was movies-links.tv] for nearly three years now. The watch-movies organization has undergone at least five domain name changes in the last three years with the most recent being July 1, 2010. They are indeed fully functional even after 'the big June 30 crackdown'.

Those sites r 4 newbs ne ways.

Maybe I am a 'newb'. I prefer to stream films rather than download them. Downloading and watching is ultimately less efficient than streaming as it requires more time and uses up harddisk space. Also, streaming illegally uploaded material does not leave one with 'the evidence' on one's harddisk.

mvbeleg
01-22-2012, 05:37 AM
Anonymous Retaliates Over Megaupload, Megavideo Shutdown: SOPA, PIPA Links?

Published January 20, 2012

Popular file-sharing sites, Megaupload and Megavideo, were shut down by federal prosecutors on Thursday and hackers from Anonymous retaliated by launching an attack on federal and public Web sites: The online battle over Internet piracy just got personal.

Megaupload and Megavideo, content-sharing Web sites that receive more than 50 million hits per day, got taken down by the Department of Justice on Thursday after an indictment claimed the sites have committed copyright infringement.

The crackdown comes just one day after a mass online protest against two bills, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA) currently being pushed forward and debated by Congress.

While the bills are being presented in an aim to stop music and video piracy, internet giants such as Google and Facebook are complaining that the legislation being proposed will lead to internet censorship.

Four company executives, including Megaupload's founder Kim Schmitz, were arrested after the indictment was delivered by the Department of Justice. The individuals have been accused of having involvement with copyright infringement and a conspiracy to commit money laundering, according to Wired.com.

The Department of Justice says the arrests made are unlinked to the SOPA and PIPA bills, but critics of the shutdown say this is the beginning of what will ultimately turn into widespread Internet censorship.

"You think it's a coincidence that the feds shutdown megavideo a day after the Websites blackout protesting the bills?" said freelance Web producer James Buran. "It's a war: Anonymos-1 Feds-1, let's see who makes the next move."

Those who try and access Megaupload's site are greeted with the following message:

"This domain name associated with the website Megaupload.com has been seized pursuant to an order issued by a U.S. District Court. A federal grand jury has indicted several individuals and entities allegedly involved in the operation of Megaupload.com and related Websites charging them with the following federal crimes: Conspiracy to commit racketeering, conspiracy to commit copyright infringement, conspiracy to commit money laundering, and criminal copyright infringement."

Hours after the notice went up, Anonymous launched an attack on public Web sites including the Justice Department, Universal Music and other trade groups that represent the music and film industries and are the prime backers of SOPA and PIPA. All these sites are back online.

"The government takes down Megaupload? 15 minutes later Anonymous takes down government & record label sites," a hacker from Anonymous tweeted.

A federal court in Virginia has ordered the seizure of 18 domain names affiliated with Megaupload and $50 million in assets have also been seized. The seizure has been described by the Department of Justice as "Among the largest criminal copyright Cases" ever bought on by the US government.

The SOPA and PIPA bills have wreaked havoc on the Web in recent days. Wikipedia's founder, Jimmy Wales, blacked-out the English language arm of his vast site on Wednesday in protest of the bills, saying SOPA and PIPA, as currently drafted, will leave them no alternative but to police the online activity on their sites.

Wales told the BBC that the bill is written so badly that it is going to affect "so many things that have very little to do with stopping piracy."

Meanwhile, Senator Harry Reid sent out this tweet on Friday: "In light of recent events, I have decided to postpone Tuesday's vote on the Protect IP Act #PIPA"

Source: http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2012/01/20/anonymous-retaliates-over-megaupload-megavideo-shutdown-sopa-and-pipa-links/#ixzz1kAMZN61P

LightInDarkness
01-22-2012, 05:49 AM
fuckers

The Lawspeaker
01-22-2012, 06:28 AM
Bunch of wankers.

LightInDarkness
01-22-2012, 06:32 AM
Straight up, this is government greed at it's finest. Always restricting freedom of speech/distribution. SMD!

zack
01-22-2012, 06:46 AM
The internet is no longer untouchable,the days of the internet being the wild wild west is over it seems. Inevitable in my mind...what government truly wishing to stay in power would allow its citizens such free reign?

The Lawspeaker
01-22-2012, 06:49 AM
The internet is no longer untouchable,the days of the internet being the wild wild west is over it seems. Inevitable in my mind...what government truly wishing to stay in power would allow its citizens such free reign?
That's why these governments must be violently deposed. So the people can set an example. That's why I am favor of letting heads roll after a quick trial for high treason.

LightInDarkness
01-22-2012, 06:52 AM
It's not even that. Just the fact that they blatantly try and censor unnecessary shit when they have more important issues to worry about. The fact that they can enact all of these BS bills without anyone being able to stand up to them fairly is what worries me.

Flintlocke
01-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Great, I hope now people stop sitting in front of their computer screen all day and actually start doing something in real life.

mvbeleg
01-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Straight up, this is government greed at it's finest. Always restricting freedom of speech/distribution. SMD!

I am not sure that government greed is the motivation. I was under the impression that the US movie industry is influencing the US government's crackdown on `piracy'.

The scary part to me is that the FBI was able to shut them down even though they are a Hong Kong and New Zealand based company.

1dzH7IKtLLg

To See FBI National Press Release:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/justice-department-charges-leaders-of-megaupload-with-widespread-online-copyright-infringement

mvbeleg
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Pirates of Catalonia to sue FBI over Megaupload
By Liam Tung on Jan 30, 2012 7:28 AM

Class action brewing for legitimate Megaupload users.
Spain's Catalonian Pirate Party will attempt to launch a class action against the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) for "misappropriating personal data" during the closure of the Megaupload file locker.

The group claims the FBI may have violated European law and the Spanish Penal Code by shutting the file hosting service last weekend, which not only stopped alleged copyright infringement but prevented Megaupload users from accessing non-infringing personal data.

"By closing the service they have impeded the access to millions of archives of both private individuals and organisations, potentially causing huge personal, economic and image damages to a vast number of people," the group argues on the campaign's landing page.

It hopes to attract alleged victims in Spain that identify as a premium, lifetime or normal Megaupload user. However, the page will be used to collect responses from US residents too.

"This initiative is a starting point for legitimate internet users to help defend themselves from the legal abuses promoted by those wishing to aggressively lock away cultural materials for their own financial gain," it explains.

The Pirate Party of Catalonia also claims on its official website that the FBI's actions could conflict with European and UK privacy, data protection and computer misuse laws.

Besides endorsement from Pirate Party chapters across Europe, digital rights campaigner, the Electronic Frontiers Foundation, will support the campaign in the hope of discovering how the Megaupload closure had affected legitimate users in the US, an EFF spokesman told Ars Technica.

The manner and legal justification for the shutdown could set a precedent for users of similar file locker services.

Even without further action, several similar sites shut down or limited sharing functionality in the wake of Megaupload's closure, with the same consequences for their legitimate users.

Source: http://www.itnews.com.au/News/288433,pirates-of-catalonia-to-sue-fbi-over-megaupload.aspx

Norse Sword
01-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Well, the FEDS are really concerned that people living in poverty are stealing shitty movies form billionaire jew hollywood moguls, while they can't seem to find 30 million illegal wet backs in the USA and deport them.

Just goes to show you what the priority is for the laughable joke that is ICE.

What the fuck is media piracy a directive for a agency that is supposed to remove illegal aliens from the USA?

ICE is supposed to be Immigration enforcement, not preventing some shitty movies from being traded by people that would never pay to see that garbage anyways.

They still make plenty of profits in Hollywood, they still have plenty of stupid fools willing to pay 10 bucks to see their shitty movies.

mvbeleg
03-06-2012, 05:57 PM
pF48PjCtW4k

Terek
03-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Solution? Move to Russia)))))

(No end to piracy here :D :D :D )

purple
03-06-2012, 06:20 PM
I always download illegaly. I am not paying for listening to songs and watching films. Singers make millions per year for just performing a song on some talk show. Why should I buy their stuff then:p

mvbeleg
06-28-2012, 08:55 PM
NZ court finds Megaupload search warrants illegal

By Mantik Kusjanto

WELLINGTON | Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:06am IST

(Reuters) - Search warrants used when 70 New Zealand police raided the mansion of the suspected kingpin of an Internet piracy ring were illegal, a New Zealand court ruled on Thursday, dealing a blow to the FBI's highest profile global copyright theft case.

German national Kim Dotcom, also known as Kim Schmitz, was one of four men arrested in January as part of an investigation of his Megaupload.com website led by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Prosecutors say Dotcom was the ringleader of a group that had netted $175 million since 2005 by copying and distributing music, movies and other copyrighted content without authorization.

Dotcom's lawyers say the company simply offered online storage.

On Thursday, High Court Judge Justice Helen Winkelmann found the warrants used in the seizure of property from Dotcom's mansion near Auckland were illegal and that moves by the FBI to copy data from Dotcom's computer and take it offshore were also unlawful.

"The warrants did not adequately describe the offences to which they related," Winkelmann said in her ruling. "Indeed they fell well short of that. They were general warrants, and as such, are invalid."

In response, New Zealand's police said in a statement they were considering the judgment and were in discussions with Crown Law "to determine what further action might be required".

Police said no further comment would be made until that process was complete.

FIGHTING EXTRADITION

Dotcom is on bail in New Zealand, fighting attempts by U.S. authorities who are seeking to extradite him on charges of copyright theft and money laundering. An extradition hearing is set for August.

Dotcom and his lawyers did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Television New Zealand quoted a spokesman for Dotcom as saying he was "pleased" but he would not be making any further comment on the court decision as appeals were likely.

Lawyers representing the U.S. government said the ruling had come as "no surprise" and that their legal team would be discussing options, including whether an appeal will be lodged, TVNZ reported.

Armed officers, backed by helicopters, cut Dotcom out of a safe room he had barricaded himself in within the sprawling country estate, reputedly New Zealand's most expensive home. Millions of dollars in assets were seized or frozen including almost 20 luxury vehicles, dozens of computers and art works.

Before it was shut down in January, Megaupload was one of the world's most popular websites, where millions of users stored data, either for free or by paying for premium service. Authorities say megaupload.com and related sites cheated copyright holders out of more than $500 million.

U.S. lawyers for Megaupload have also argued that U.S. federal authorities cannot charge the company with criminal behavior because it is Hong Kong based, and also that no papers have ever been formally served.

(Reporting by Mantik Kusjanto; Writing by Lincoln Feast; Editing by Robert Birsel)

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/06/28/us-newzealand-dotcom-court-idINBRE85R08720120628

Download Official Ruling Document:

http://www.courtsofnz.govt.nz/cases/dotcom-ors-v-attorney-general/at_download/fileDecision

Bobcat Fraser
06-30-2012, 01:23 AM
We can all sleep safely in our beds, knowing that these threats to our safety and security have been removed from our streets. No punishment is too harsh for these horrible criminals. They're truly evil people. Now, they just need to imprison those vile jaywalkers.

Contra Mundum
06-30-2012, 01:26 AM
ICE should be rounding up illegal aliens and deporting them back to Mexico, not doing this. :rolleyes2:

The interest of the Jews is priority one.

Edelmann
06-30-2012, 01:27 AM
I just hope they start targeting those fuckers who don't seed their torrents. They're pure evil.

Contra Mundum
06-30-2012, 01:30 AM
Download Official Ruling Document:

http://www.courtsofnz.govt.nz/cases/dotcom-ors-v-attorney-general/at_download/fileDecision

Great News.

BeerBaron
09-30-2016, 02:11 AM
When an agreement with the US Commerce Department runs out, ICANN will become a self-regulating non-profit international entity (AFP Photo/Andrew Cowie)
More
Washington (AFP) - The US government is set to cut the final thread of its oversight of the internet, yielding a largely symbolic but nevertheless significant role over the online address system.

Barring any last-minute glitches, the transition will occur at midnight Friday (0400 GMT Saturday), when the US contract expires for the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, which manages the internet's so-called "root zone."

When the agreement with the US Commerce Department runs out, ICANN will become a self-regulating non-profit international entity managing the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, the system for online "domains" such as .com.

US and ICANN officials say the change is part of a longstanding plan to "privatize" those functions, but some critics complain about a "giveaway" that could threaten the internet's integrity.

Christopher Mondini, ICANN's vice president for global business engagement, said the change will have no impact on day-to-day internet use, and will assure the global community that the system is free from government regulation and interference.

"This is a new kind of governance model," he told AFP.

The system will be managed through a "multistakeholder" model in which engineers, businesses, non-government groups and government bodies serve as checks against any single entity.

If any of the groups that make up ICANN see the organization veering away from its mission, Mondini said, "they can initiate measures to self-correct."

- 'Byzantine' structure -

Some US lawmakers who see risks with the model have sought to stop the transition, arguing it would allow authoritarian regimes to have greater control over the internet.

Republican Senator Ted Cruz has been seeking to block what he calls a "radical" plan to give away control of the internet.

ICANN "is not a democratic body," Cruz told a hearing earlier this month.

"It is a corporation with a Byzantine governing structure designed to blur lines of accountability that is run by global bureaucrats who are supposedly accountable to the technocrats, to multinational corporations, to governments, including some of the most oppressive regimes in the world like China, Iran, and Russia."

Heritage Foundation president Jim DeMint echoed that sentiment, saying in a tweet that President Barack Obama "wants to cede US control of our free, secure internet to foreign regimes who don't value freedom of speech."

- 'Strengthening' internet -

Supporters of the plan counter that critics' harsh rhetoric fails to recognize how the internet has functioned and thrived over the years.

"This transition has been built upon a bipartisan consensus for almost 20 years through multiple administrations," said Kathryn Brown, president of the Internet Society, which was created by some of the internet's founders.

"The transition will further strengthen the internet as a stable, resilient and secure tool for empowering billions of people across the globe for decades to come."

Google senior vice president Kent Walker also endorsed the shift, saying it would "fulfill a promise the United States made almost two decades ago: that the internet could and should be governed by everyone with a stake in its continued growth."

Six Democratic US lawmakers meanwhile warned of the dangers if Washington fails to follow through on its pledge to disengage.

"The internet belongs to the world, not to Ted Cruz," Senators Brian Schatz and Chris Coons, and Representatives Anna Eshoo, Doris Matsui, Frank Pallone and Mike Doyle said in an article for the TechCrunch news site.

"If the Republicans successfully delay the transition, America's enemies are sure to pounce. Russia and its allies could push to shift control of the internet's core functions to a government body like the UN where they have more influence."

Any delay could fuel interest in a rival numbering system that could fragment the internet into possibly unconnected networks, they added.

Cruz and his allies have unsuccessfully sought to attach an amendment to a government funding bill aimed at halting the transition.

The transition should go forward even if it is "imperfect," said Daniel Castro, vice president at the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation.

"US government interference at this point would undermine global consensus and reduce confidence in the multistakeholder model at a time when these attributes are needed most," he said in a blog post.

The transition "marks a key 'constitutional moment' for internet governance," he added, "and the United States should ensure it is on the right side of history."

BeerBaron
09-30-2016, 02:11 AM
Here’s a look at some of the regimes that will begin shaping the future of the Internet in just a few days, if President Obama gets his way.

China

China wrote the book on authoritarian control of online speech. The legendary “Great Firewall of China” prevents citizens of the communist state from accessing global content the Politburo disapproves of. Chinese technology companies are required by law to provide the regime with backdoor access to just about everything.

The Chinese government outright banned online news reporting in July, granting the government even tighter control over the spread of information. Websites are only permitted to post news from official government sources. Chinese online news wasn’t exactly a bastion of freedom before that, of course, but at least the government censors had to track down news stories they disliked and demand the site administrators take them down.

Unsurprisingly, the Chinese Communists aren’t big fans of independent news analysis or blogging, either. Bloggers who criticize the government are liable to be charged with “inciting subversion,” even when the writer in question is a Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Chinese citizens know better than to get cheeky on social media accounts, as well. Before online news websites were totally banned, they were forbidden from reporting news gathered from social media, without government approval. Spreading anything the government decides is “fake news” is a crime.

In a report labeling China one of the worst countries for Internet freedom in the world, Freedom House noted they’ve already been playing games with Internet registration and security verification:

The China Internet Network Information Center was found to be issuing false digital security certificates for a number of websites, including Google, exposing the sites’ users to “man in the middle” attacks.

The government strengthened its real-name registration laws for blogs, instant-messaging services, discussion forums, and comment sections of websites.

A key feature of China’s online censorship is that frightened citizens are not entirely certain what the rules are. Huge ministries work tirelessly to pump out content regulations and punish infractions. Not all of the rules are actually written down. As Foreign Policy explained:

Before posting, a Chinese web user is likely to consider basic questions about how likely a post is to travel, whether it runs counter to government priorities, and whether it calls for action or is likely to engender it. Those answers help determine whether a post can be published without incident — as it is somewhere around 84 percent or 87 percent of the time — or is instead likely to lead to a spectrum of negative consequences varying from censorship, to the deletion of a user’s account, to his or her detention, even arrest and conviction.

This was accompanied by a flowchart demonstrating “what gets you censored on the Chinese Internet.” It is not a simple flowchart.

Beijing is not even slightly self-conscious about its authoritarian control of the Internet. On the contrary, their censorship policies are trumpeted as “Internet sovereignty,” and they aggressively believe the entire world should follow their model, as the Washington Post reported in a May 2016 article entitled “China’s Scary Lesson to the World: Censoring the Internet Works.”

China already has a quarter of the planet’s Internet users locked up behind the Great Firewall. How can anyone doubt they won’t use the opportunity Obama is giving them, to pursue their openly stated desire to lock down the rest of the world?

Russia

Russia and China are already working together for a more heavily-censored Internet. Foreign Policy reported one of Russia’s main goals at an April forum was to “harness Chinese expertise in Internet management to gain further control over Russia’s internet, including foreign sites accessible there.”

Russia’s “top cop,” Alexander Bastrykin, explicitly stated Russia needs to stop “playing false democracy” and abandon “pseudo-liberal values” by following China’s lead on Internet censorship, instead of emulating the U.S. example. Like China’s censors, Russian authoritarians think “Internet freedom” is just coded language for the West imposing “cultural hegemony” on the rest of the world.

Just think what Russia and China will be able to do about troublesome foreign websites, once Obama surrenders American control of Internet domains!

Russian President Vladimir Putin has “chipped away at Internet freedom in Russia since he returned to the Kremlin in 2012,” as International Business Times put it in a 2014 article.

One of Putin’s new laws requires bloggers with over 3,000 readers to register with the government, providing their names and home addresses. As with China, Russia punishes online writers for “spreading false information,” and once the charge is leveled, it’s basically guilty-until-proven-innocent. For example, one of the “crimes” that can get a blogger prosecuted in Russia is alleging the corruption of a public official, without ironclad proof.

Human-rights group Agora estimates that Russian Internet censorship grew by 900% in 2015 alone, including both court orders and edicts from government agencies that don’t require court approval. Censorship was expected to intensify even further throughout 2016. Penalties include prison time, even for the crime of liking or sharing banned content on social media.

Putin, incidentally, has described the entire Internet as a CIA plot designed to subvert regimes like his. There will be quite a few people involved in the new multi-national Internet control agency who think purging the Web of American influence is a top priority.

The Russian government has prevailed upon Internet Service Providers to block opposition websites during times of political unrest, in addition to thousands of bans ostensibly issued for security, crime-fighting, and anti-pornography purposes.

Many governments follow the lead of Russia and China in asserting the right to shut down “extremist” or “subversive” websites. In the United States, we worry about law enforcement abusing its authority while battling outright terrorism online, arguing that privacy and freedom of speech must always be measured against security, no matter how dire the threat. In Russia, a rough majority of the population has no problem with the notion of censoring the Internet in the name of political stability, and will countenance absolutely draconian controls against perceived national security threats. This is a distressingly common view in other nations as well: stability justifies censorship and monitoring, not just physical security.

Turkey

Turkey’s crackdown on the Internet was alarming even before the aborted July coup attempt against authoritarian President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Turkey has banned social media sites, including temporary bans against even giants like Facebook and YouTube, for political reasons. Turkish dissidents are accustomed to such bans coming down on the eve of elections. The Turkish telecom authority can impose such bans without a court order, or a warning to offending websites.

Turkey is often seen as the world leader in blocking Twitter accounts, in addition to occasionally shutting the social media service down completely, and has over a 100,000 websites blacklisted. Criticizing the government online can result in anything from lost employment to criminal charges. And if you think social-media harassment from loyal supporters of the government in power can get pretty bad in the U.S., Turks sometimes discover that hassles from pro-regime trolls online are followed by visits from the police.

Turkish law infamously makes it a crime to insult the president, a law Erdogan has already attempted to impose beyond Turkey’s borders. One offender found himself hauled into court for creating a viral meme – the sort of thing manufactured by the thousands every hour in America – that noted Erdogan bore a certain resemblance to Gollum from Lord of the Rings. The judge in his case ordered expert testimony on whether Gollum was evil to conclusively determine whether the meme was an illegal insult to the president.

The Turkish example introduces another idea common to far too many of the countries Obama wants to give equal say over the future of the Internet: intimidation is a valid purpose for law enforcement. Many of Turkey’s censorship laws are understood to be mechanisms for intimidating dissidents, raising the cost of free speech enough to make people watch their words very carefully. “Think twice before you Tweet” might be good advice for some users, but regimes like Erdogan’s seek to impose that philosophy on everyone. This runs strongly contrary to the American understanding of the Internet as a powerful instrument that lowers the cost of speech to near-zero, the biggest quantum leap for free expression in human history. Zero-cost speech is seen as a big problem by many of the governments that will now place strong hands upon the global Internet rudder.

Turkey is very worried about “back doors” that allow citizens to circumvent official censorship, a concern they will likely bring to Internet control, along with like-minded authoritarian regimes. These governments will make the case that a free and open Internet is a direct threat to their “sovereign right” to control what their citizens read. As long as any part of the Internet remains completely free, no sector can be completely controlled.

Saudi Arabia

The Saudis aren’t too far behind China in the Internet rankings by Freedom House. Dissident online activity can bring jail sentences, plus the occasional public flogging.

This is particularly lamentable because Saudi Arabia is keenly interested in modernization, and sees the Internet as a valuable economic resource, along with a thriving social media presence. Freedom House notes the Internet “remains the least repressive space for expression in the country,” but “it is by no means free.”

“While the state focuses on combatting violent extremism and disrupting terrorist networks, it has clamped down on nonviolent liberal activists and human rights defenders with the same zeal, branding them a threat to the national order and prosecuting them in special terrorism tribunals,” Freedom House notes.

USA Today noted that as of 2014, Saudi Arabia had about 400,000 websites blocked, “including any that discuss political, social or religious topics incompatible with the Islamic beliefs of the monarchy.”

At one point the blacklist included the Huffington Post, which was banned for having the temerity to run an article suggesting the Saudi system might “implode” because of oil dependency and political repression. The best response to criticism that your government is too repressive is a blacklist!

The Saudis have a penchant for blocking messaging apps and voice-over-IP services, like Skype and Facetime. App blocking got so bad that Saudi users have been known to ask, “What’s the point of having the Internet?”

While some Saudis grumble about censorship, many others are active, enthusiastic participants in enforcement, filing hundreds of requests each day to have websites blocked. Religious figures supply many of these requests, and the government defends much of its censorship as the defense of Islamic values.

As with other censorious regimes, the Saudi monarchy worries about citizens using web services beyond its control to evade censorship, a concern that will surely be expressed loudly once America surrenders its command of Internet domains.

For the record, the Saudis’ rivals in Iran are heavy Internet censors too, with Stratfor listing them as one of the countries seeking Chinese assistance for “solutions on how best to monitor the Iranian population.”

North Korea

You can’t make a list of authoritarian nightmares without including the psychotic regime in Pyongyang, the most secretive government in the world.

North Korea is so repressive the BBC justly puts the word “Internet” in scare quotes, to describe the online environment. It doesn’t really interconnect with anything, except government propaganda and surveillance. Computers in the lone Internet cafe in Pyongyang actually boot up to a customized Linux operating system called “Red Star,” instead of Windows or Mac OS. The calendar software in Red Star measures the date from the birth of Communist founder Kim Il-sung, rather than the birth of Christ.

The “Internet” itself is a closed system called Kwangmyong, and citizens can only access it through a single state-run provider, with the exception of a few dozen privileged families that can punch into the real Internet.

Kwangmyong is often compared to the closed “intranet” system in a corporate office, with perhaps 5,000 websites available at most. Unsurprisingly, the content is mostly State-monitored messaging and State-supplied media. Contributors to these online services have reportedly been sent to re-education camps for typos. The North Koreans are so worried about outside contamination of their closed network that they banned wi-fi hotspots at foreign embassies, having noticed information-starved North Korean citizens clustering within range of those beautiful, uncensored wireless networks.

This doesn’t stop South Koreans from attempting cultural penetration of their squalid neighbor’s dismal little online network. Lately they’ve been doing it by loading banned information onto cheap memory sticks, tying them to balloons, and floating them across the border.

Sure, North Korea is the ultimate totalitarian nightmare, and since they have less than two thousand IP addresses registered in the entire country, the outlaw regime won’t be a big influence on Obama’s multi-national Internet authority, right?

Not so fast. As North Korea expert Scott Thomas Bruce told the BBC, authoritarian governments who are “looking at what is happening in the Middle East” see North Korea as a model to be emulated.

“They’re saying rather than let in Facebook, and rather than let in Twitter, what if the government created a Facebook that we could monitor and control?” Bruce explained.

Also, North Korea has expressed some interest in using the Internet as a tool for economic development, which means there would be more penetration of the actual global network into their society. They’ll be very interested in censoring and controlling that access, and they’ll need a lot more registered domains and IP addresses… the very resource Obama wants America to surrender control over.

Bottom line: contrary to left-wing cant, there is such a thing as American exceptionalism – areas in which the United States is demonstrably superior to every other nation, a leader to which the entire world should look for examples. Sadly, our society is losing its fervor for free expression, and growing more comfortable with suppressing “unacceptable” speech, but we’re still far better than anyone else in this regard.

The rest of the world, taken in total, is very interested in suppressing various forms of expression, for reasons ranging from security to political stability and religion. Those governments will never be comfortable, so long as parts of the Internet remain outside of their control. They have censorship demands they consider very reasonable, and absolutely vital. The website you are reading right now violates every single one of them, on a regular basis.

There may come a day we can safely remand control of Internet domains to an international body, but that day is most certainly not October 1, 2016.

<footer class="articlefooter" style="color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size: 16px;"><aside></aside></footer>

Profileid
09-30-2016, 02:33 AM
Sounds like a terrible idea

zhaoyun
09-30-2016, 02:34 AM
I don't think this will have a big impact on how our internet operates. The US will still essentially govern it's own internet. It's irrelevant what other countries censor.

BeerBaron
09-30-2016, 02:48 AM
I don't think this will have a big impact on how our internet operates. The US will still essentially govern it's own internet. It's irrelevant what other countries censor.

Perhaps not on it's own, (hopefully) but this is just one pixel in the bigger picture. All over the world Nation States are ceding sovereignty to corporations and alliances involving them like trading blocks. The most destructive being TPP.

Neon Knight
09-30-2016, 03:20 AM
Perhaps not on it's own, (hopefully) but this is just one pixel in the bigger picture. All over the world Nation States are ceding sovereignty to corporations and alliances involving them like trading blocks. The most destructive being TPP.I've heard about that causing problems in Canada and there are moves to bring Britain into it. Leaving the EU might delay it though.

Anglojew
09-30-2016, 03:32 AM
Obama's motto is of course "Make America Weak Again"

The Lawspeaker
12-03-2019, 08:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFwTabn9_S0

The Hacker Crackdown - an 18-month long collaborative effort of the United States Secret Service and broken-up AT&T to take control of the Internet in the early 1990s. They stroke right at the heart of what makes the Internet such a powerful tool - the hacker culture. Hackers were people who believed access to the Internet and computer technology should be as free and open as possible.

They believed cyberspace was a not place for governments to censor and monitor. It was not a place for corporations to control and manipulate. For hackers, cyberspace was a new frontier that would free the mind and open endless opportunities. The Hacker Crackdown was the United States government ideological dirty war to take control of the digital realm.

This is a story of people, for whom cyberspace was a war zone. Government surveillance. Corporate censorship. Media manipulation. This is the reality of the Internet today. Bit by bit, multi-billion-dollar corporations are taking control of what we can do, see, and say on the cyberspace. We can’t make comments on social media, chat with people, or browse the web, without the government somewhere taking a copy in a rogue database dully paid for by us. It’s almost as if there was a waging war for this huge digital space that was once dreamed of as setting people free. A frontier where everybody could unleash their potential. A true equality of opportunities. And it seems governments and big corporations hate this empowerment of the little ones.

They despise it so much they work hand-in-hand to attack with full force in order to deny us any expansion of Constitutional rights into the digital realm. And it all started at the dawn of the commercial Internet with a drastic crackdown on their most feared opposition: hackers. The Hacker Crackdown of 1990 set a precedent for much of what is happening today. I make these videos because I believe standing up against power and illegitimate authority is a moral duty. I believe all humans are fundamentally free. But this freedom won't take care of itself. If you too believe this cause and want to help in this pursuit, you can donate to any of my cryptocurrency wallets.

Bitcoin: 1C7UkndgpQqjTrUkk8pY1rRpmddwHaEEuf

SOURCES
The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling https://www.goodreads.com/reader/2212... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.goodreads.com%2Freader%2F2212-the-hacker-crackdown%3Fpercent%3D1.4984&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
In case the link above doesn't work http://www.worldcolleges.info/sites/d... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldcolleges.info%2Fsites%2Fde fault%2Ffiles%2Fsterling-bruce-1954_the-hacker-crackdown-law-and-disorder-on-the-electronic-frontier_0.pdf&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
In another case the links above don't work, here is a podcast of the book https://boingboing.net/2008/01/13/pod... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fboingboing.net%2F2008%2F01%2F13%2F podcast-of-bruce-ste.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
Another link http://www.mit.edu/hacker/chronology.... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mit.edu%2Fhacker%2Fchronology.h tml&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
http://www.mit.edu/hacker/part1.html (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mit.edu%2Fhacker%2Fpart1.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hac...

(https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FThe_Hack er_Crackdown&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)

The Lawspeaker
12-04-2019, 01:05 PM
SOURCES
The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling https://www.goodreads.com/reader/2212... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.goodreads.com%2Freader%2F2212-the-hacker-crackdown%3Fpercent%3D1.4984&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
In case the link above doesn't work http://www.worldcolleges.info/sites/d... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.worldcolleges.info%2Fsites%2Fde fault%2Ffiles%2Fsterling-bruce-1954_the-hacker-crackdown-law-and-disorder-on-the-electronic-frontier_0.pdf&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
In another case the links above don't work, here is a podcast of the book https://boingboing.net/2008/01/13/pod... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fboingboing.net%2F2008%2F01%2F13%2F podcast-of-bruce-ste.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
Another link
http://www.mit.edu/hacker/chronology.... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mit.edu%2Fhacker%2Fchronology.h tml&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
http://www.mit.edu/hacker/part1.
html (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mit.edu%2Fhacker%2Fpart1.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hac... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FThe_Hack er_Crackdown&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)

Steve Jackson Games v. The United States Secret Service
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fscholar.google.com%2Fscholar_case% 3Fcase%3D15578406156657124091&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fscholar.google.com%2Fscholar_case% 3Fcase%3D3765716184001998475&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
http://www.sjgames.com/SS/topten.html (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sjgames.com%2FSS%2Ftopten.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
http://www.sjgames.com/ourgames/ (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sjgames.com%2Fourgames%2F&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
https://www.athosgroup.com/about-us/m... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.athosgroup.com%2Fabout-us%2Fmeet-the-team%2Ftim-foley%2F&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_J... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSteve_Ja ckson_Games%2C_Inc._v._United_States_Secret_Servic e&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
http://www.sjgames.com/SS/ (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sjgames.com%2FSS%2F&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)

Hacker Documents
https://www.eff.org/cyberspace-indepe... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eff.org%2Fcyberspace-independence&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
http://www.phrack.org/archives/issues (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.phrack.org%2Farchives%2Fissues% 2F7%2F3.txt&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)...
http://phrack.org/issues/32/1.html (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fphrack.org%2Fissues%2F32%2F1.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
http://www.phrack.org/issues/1/1.html (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.phrack.org%2Fissues%2F1%2F1.htm l&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
http://www.sjgames.com/SS/crimpuzz.html (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sjgames.com%2FSS%2Fcrimpuzz.htm l&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Fry_Guy (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fencyclopediadramatica.rs%2FFry_Guy&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyd_Bl... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FLoyd_Bla nkenship&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Bl (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FErik_Blo odaxe_%28hacker&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Abene (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMark_Abe ne&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
https://web.archive.org/web/200802032 (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fweb%2F2008020323 4704%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.totse.com%2Fen%2Flaw%2Fjus tice_for_all%2Fcn_trial.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)...
https://epic.org/crypto/legislation/f (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fepic.org%2Fcrypto%2Flegislation%2F freeh_797.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)...

News coverage
https://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/09/bu (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F1990%2F09%2F09%2 Fbusiness%2Fthe-executive-computer-can-invaders-be-stopped-but-civil-liberties-upheld.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)...
https://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/21/ma... (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F1991%2F04%2F21%2 Fmagazine%2Fin-defense-of-hackers.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)
https://www.phworld.org/history/attcr (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.phworld.org%2Fhistory%2Fattcra sh.htm&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)...
https://users.csc.calpoly.edu/~jdalbe (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fusers.csc.calpoly.edu%2F%7Ejdalbey %2FSWE%2FPapers%2Fatt_collapse&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)...
https://www.nytimes.com/1998/04/15/bu (https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=YFwTabn9_S0&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F1998%2F04%2F15%2 Fbusiness%2Fat-t-data-network-fails-and-commerce-takes-a-hit.html&redir_token=MflwrfSIywQ6Hg5Peowv0pdRonl8MTU3NTQ1MT IwNkAxNTc1MzY0ODA2)...