PDA

View Full Version : If you want to understand Kurds, watch this.

alanr
08-30-2013, 10:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y25JynLzTvc

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 10:40 PM
I can understand Kurdish words like "apo" anyway:lol:

alanr
08-30-2013, 10:42 PM

hmmm?

Kiyant
08-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Apo isnt kurdish it stand for Abdullah Öcalan who has a nice seat in prison.....
Also on-tpic nice video beautifully made one question was that made by the kurdish regional government or by someone other?

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 10:44 PM
hmmm?

it means Aunt or elder sister in my language while in Kurdish it means uncle, there are tons of similar words like these...

Apo isnt kurdish it stand for Abdullah Öcalan who has a nice seat in prison.....
Also on-tpic nice video beautifully made one question was that made by the kurdish regional government or by someone other?

No it doesn't:lol:

Gorštak
08-30-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm so ignorant, I can't see difference with Turks and Kurds, in my eyes they look the same and have same names, same religion, but it's just when someone from Canada would see me as just one another Russian;)

alanr
08-30-2013, 10:48 PM

Non government groups. There is a growing movement in Kurdistan to cleanse years of assimilation attempts by targeting the new generation, while making sure we don't fill them with hate. Recently some dispora Kurds are returning to Kurdistan and are bringing them their talents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5EEzIL8jtc

Kiyant
08-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Non government groups. There is a growing movement in Kurdistan to cleanse years of assimilation attempts by targeting the new generation, while making sure we don't fill them with hate. Recently some dispora Kurds are returning to Kurdistan and are bringing them their talents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5EEzIL8jtc
Beautiful nice work there :)

alanr
08-30-2013, 10:50 PM
it means Aunt or elder sister in my language while in Kurdish it means uncle, there are tons of similar words like these...

Nope :) Apo is what Kurds call Ocalan. Uncle in Sorani is mama, and in Kurmanji is xalo. You're probably confusing it for farsi, amo for uncle.

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Nope :) Apo is what Kurds call Ocalan. Uncle in Sorani is mama, and in Kurmanji is xalo. You're probably confusing it for farsi, amo for uncle.
This is what I call my mom's bothers:D

alanr
08-30-2013, 10:54 PM
This is what I call my mom's bothers:D

Well, the closest language in that region to Kurdish is supposedly Balochi, though I can't seem to understand how after listening to it.

Kiyant
08-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Well, the closest language in that region to Kurdish is supposedly Balochi, though I can't seem to understand how after listening to it.
Dont Kurdish have many Arabian words so this could be a reason why Balochi doesnt sound too similar?

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 10:56 PM

quite a lot of words from Iranic languages I can understand:D

alanr
08-30-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm so ignorant, I can't see difference with Turks and Kurds, in my eyes they look the same and have same names, same religion, but it's just when someone from Canada would see me as just one another Russian;)

Religion yes, looks maybe, but not for names. Actual Kurdish names are names like Alan, Kochar, Soran, Ela, Saman, Sasan and so on.

alanr
08-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Dont Kurdish have many Arabian words so this could be a reason why Balochi doesnt sound too similar?

Actually Kurdish hasn't loaned much from Arabic, and Balochi is supposedly similar to Kurdish because it's an Iranic language too.

Actually some baloch claim Kurdish ancestry, and I think some do, since they have a tribe called "kurd" of which most of their leaders come from.

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:00 PM
quite a lot of words from Iranic languages I can understand:D

How much of the songs I posted did you understand? I could post some hardcore pure Kurdish that even I find hard to understand :)

MarkyMark
08-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Since when are Kurds related to Arameans? Are you partially Syriac?

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 11:01 PM
How much of the songs I posted did you understand? I could post some hardcore pure Kurdish that even I find hard to understand :)

I find the pronunciation difficult but, can understand it in written form:p

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Since when are Kurds related to Arameans? Are you partially Syriac?

My grandmothers family was of Christian descent.

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:05 PM
I find the pronunciation difficult but, can understand it in written form:p

This song is in both Kurdish and Farsi. Lets see if you can guess which part is Kurdish and which is Farsi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2OhnqSwdvY

MarkyMark
08-30-2013, 11:06 PM
My grandmothers family was of Christian descent.

Really? What town?

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 11:08 PM
This song is in both Kurdish and Farsi. Lets see if you can guess which part is Kurdish and which is Farsi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2OhnqSwdvY

First is Farsi, second part is Kurdi:p?

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Really? What town?

Not sure, her family was originally from Iranian Kurdistan. Her family converted to Islam when she was around 8 or so. They moved from Iran to Slemani province before the borders were even drawn.

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:12 PM

Actually there isn't any farsi until around 2:50

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Actually there isn't any farsi until around 2:50

Both sound so similar:P, hard to differentiate...

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Both sound so similar:P, hard to differentiate...

Farsi is very feminine.. Kurdish is more masculine.

MarkyMark
08-30-2013, 11:17 PM
I would guess they would be Ashurian if they are that far east.

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:18 PM
I would guess they would be Ashurian if they are that far east.

Maybe I don't really know. She passed away before I was old enough to understand these things, and all my mom knows is that her moms family just refered to themselves as Kurdish, but were at some point Christian, they knew Aramaic too.

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:23 PM

This is Hewrami by the way, it's probably the hardest Kurdish dialect there is to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwFet8o7WJU

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 11:26 PM
This is Hewrami by the way, it's probably the hardest Kurdish dialect there is to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwFet8o7WJU

Bro, all I hear is Khshshskhpshskh.....:lol:Very hard to understand...

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Bro, all I hear is Khshshskhpshskh.....:lol:Very hard to understand...

The conversation is in Sorani, that's my dialect I'm cool with that, but as soon as the Hawrami starts, is where I'm completely lost.

P.S: IF you want to see pics of Kurds and Kurdistan check this page out, some amazing photos.

https://www.facebook.com/koreakurdistan/photos_stream

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 11:29 PM
The conversation is in Sorani, that's my dialect I'm cool with that, but as soon as the Hawrami starts, is where I'm completely lost.

Kurdish is pretty hard then:lol:
Do you think you can understand Urdu or some other Indo-Aryan language:p?

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Kurdish is pretty hard then:lol:
Do you think you can understand Urdu or some other Indo-Aryan language:p?

There are a lot of Bengladeshi workers in Kurdistan now, I heard them speak a few times and didn't really understand anything, maybe it was the accent, and Urdu I can only understand the Iranic words, though the pronunciation makes it difficult.

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 11:40 PM
There are a lot of Bengladeshi workers in Kurdistan now, I heard them speak a few times and didn't really understand anything, maybe it was the accent, and Urdu I can only understand the Iranic words, though the pronunciation makes it difficult.
The song you played sounds like Urdu to me:lol: Besides, Urdu is heavily Persianised and that is what makes it different from Hindi...
Can you understand this BTW?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Damo9PUAug

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Only a few words here and there, but to say I understand, no, I do not, mostly because of pronunciation which seems to have heavy hindi influence.

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Only a few words here and there, but to say I understand, no, I do not, mostly because of pronunciation which seems to have heavy hindi influence.

Yeah, that's how I understand some words in Kurdish too, what words did you grasp, I'm curious...

StonyArabia
08-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Is Fayli Kurd a completely different dialect or is it also Sorani ?

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:47 PM
I think I heard zar zamin? merg?

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 11:48 PM
I think I heard zar zamin? merg?

There's also zindabad couple times along with a lot of other words of Iranic origin...
pāk sarzamīn šād bād
kišwar-ē ḥasīn šād bād
tū nišān-ē ʿazm-ē ʿālī šān
arⱬ-ē Pākistān!
markaz-ē yaqīn šād bād
pāk sarzamīn kā niẓām
quwwat-ē uxuwwat-ē ʿawām
qaum, mulk, salṭanat
pāyindah tābindah bād!
šād bād manzil-ē murād
parčam-ē sitāra(h) ō-hilāl
rehbar-ē taraqqī ō-kamāl
tarjumān-ē māⱬī, šān-ē ḥāl
jān-ē istiqbāl!
sāya(h)-ē Xudā-ē ẕu-l-jalāl

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't call it a different dialect, but it's slightly different accent wise.

alanr
08-30-2013, 11:55 PM
There's also zindabad couple times along with a lot of other words of Iranic origin...
pāk sarzamīn šād bād
kišwar-ē ḥasīn šād bād
tū nišān-ē ʿazm-ē ʿālī šān
arⱬ-ē Pākistān!
markaz-ē yaqīn šād bād
pāk sarzamīn kā niẓām
quwwat-ē uxuwwat-ē ʿawām
qaum, mulk, salṭanat
pāyindah tābindah bād!
šād bād manzil-ē murād
parčam-ē sitāra(h) ō-hilāl
rehbar-ē taraqqī ō-kamāl
tarjumān-ē māⱬī, šān-ē ḥāl
jān-ē istiqbāl!
sāya(h)-ē Xudā-ē ẕu-l-jalāl

Interesting. But as I said, the way they pronounce these words makes it difficult for me to understand. Also Kurdish and farsi words are rarely the same, often they're just similar. For example the equivalence of "va" in Kurdish is "da" or in Farsi they say "Makon" and in Kurdish it's "Maka" and so on. In Farsi they say "Esme man" in Kurdish its "Nawi min" for my name.

Shah-Jehan
08-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Interesting. But as I said, the way they pronounce these words makes it difficult for me to understand. Also Kurdish and farsi words are rarely the same, often they're just similar. For example the equivalence of "va" in Kurdish is "da" or in Farsi they say "Makon" and in Kurdish it's "Maka" and so on. In Farsi they say "Esme man" in Kurdish its "Nawi min" for my name.

Oh, I see, Kurdish and Persian have varied dialects then, what do you think of Pashto and Ossette?

alanr
08-31-2013, 12:02 AM
Oh, I see, Kurdish and Persian have varied dialects then, what do you think of Pashto and Ossette?

Don't know much about those.

Kurdish has two main dialects, the Kurmanji branch (Sorani is southern Kurmanji) and the Gorani branch.

Hayalet
08-31-2013, 12:10 AM
Ten minutes of my life that I will never get back... You owe me, mister.

Shah-Jehan
08-31-2013, 12:13 AM

Why are you so rude?

alanr
08-31-2013, 12:14 AM

When you clicked play, you took all responsibility and had 10 minutes to hit the stop button.

StarDS9
08-31-2013, 12:26 AM

Feyli is close to all Kurdish languages but is different to Sorani. Sorani is closer to Kurmanji and at times classed as one, the grammer is similar yet are different as German and English.

I believe Feyli is closer to Laki then Sorani. Feyli and Laki Kurds also seem to share alot in common with Lurs.

Blackout
08-31-2013, 01:01 AM
Don't know much about those.

Ta sanga ye!

Sta sa nam deh? :confused:

alanr
08-31-2013, 01:02 AM
Ta sanga ye!

??

alanr
08-31-2013, 01:18 AM
Ta sanga ye!

Bashim spas, ey to? (Im fine thanks, you)

Nawi min Alan e. (My name is Alan.)

Blackout
08-31-2013, 01:32 AM
Bashim spas, ey to? (Im fine thanks, you)

Nawi min Alan e. (My name is Alan.)

This is Kurdish?

Za kha yem tashakor. (Im fine thanks).

Zama nam Crescent deh! (My name is Crescent).

alanr
09-01-2013, 12:35 PM
This is Kurdish?

Za kha yem tashakor. (Im fine thanks).

Zama nam Crescent deh! (My name is Crescent).

Yes that is Kurdish.

StonyArabia
09-02-2013, 01:53 AM
What is the official Kurdish dialect ?