PDA

View Full Version : Who invented hommos?

rashka
09-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Hommos is a chick pea dip popular in the middle east and is becoming popular in other parts of the world.
Was this invented in the city called Homs, Syria?

Definition from the freedictionary:
Noun 1. hommos - a thick spread made from mashed chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and garlic; used especially as a dip for pita; originated in the Middle East
hoummos, hummus, humous, humus
paste, spread - a tasty mixture to be spread on bread or crackers or used in preparing other dishes

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Hummus_from_The_Nile.jpg

Loki
09-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Probably ancient Albanians.

Wadaad
09-02-2013, 07:56 PM
chick peas are native to Egypt...i dont think there is a correlation between Homs and Hummus.

rashka
09-02-2013, 08:03 PM
chick peas are native to Egypt...i dont think there is a correlation between Homs and Hummus.

History of chick peas from Wikipedia:

Domesticated chickpeas have been found in the aceramic levels of Jericho (PPNB) along with Cayönü in Turkey and in Neolithic pottery at Hacilar, Turkey. They were found in the late Neolithic (about 3500 BCE) at Thessaly, Kastanas, Lerna and Dimini. In southern France Mesolithic layers in a cave at L'Abeurador, Aude have yielded wild chickpeas carbon dated to 6790±90 BCE.

By the Bronze Age, chickpeas were known in Italy and Greece. In classical Greece, they were called erébinthos and eaten as a staple, a dessert, or consumed raw when young. The Romans knew several varieties such as venus, ram, and punic chickpeas. They were both cooked down into a broth and roasted as a snack. The Roman gourmet Apicius gives several recipes for chickpeas. Carbonized chickpeas have been found at the Roman legion fort at Neuss (Novaesium), Germany in layers from the first century CE, along with rice.

Chickpeas are mentioned in Charlemagne's Capitulare de villis (about 800 CE) as cicer italicum, as grown in each imperial demesne. Albertus Magnus mentions red, white and black varieties. Nicholas Culpeper noted "chick-pease or cicers" are less "windy" than peas and more nourishing. Ancient people also associated chickpeas with Venus because they were said to offer medical uses such as increasing sperm and milk, provoking menstruation and urine and helping to treat kidney stones. "White cicers" were thought to be especially strong and helpful.

Green chickpea
In 1793, ground-roast chickpeas were noted by a German writer as a coffee substitute in Europe. In the First World War, they were grown for this use in some areas of Germany. They are still sometimes brewed instead of coffee.

Myth
02-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Hummus was found in recipes dating back to Egypt so I would say that it likely originated there and spread through North Africa and the Middle East, domestication of chick peas have been found in Jericho and parts of turkey, so probably Levantine in terms of the origin of chickpeas which also spread.

SardiniaAtlantis
02-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Hummus was found in recipes dating back to Egypt so I would say that it likely originated there and spread through North Africa and the Middle East, domestication of chick peas have been found in Jericho and parts of turkey, so probably Levantine in terms of the origin of chickpeas which also spread.

Actually it spread more towards the Levant. It only was introduced into North Africa in more modern times; proper hummus that is with tahini. But the idea of hummus is something that is completely natural the the entire Mediterranean, and every Mediterranean country from Italy to Spain, to the Levant has some form of legume mashed with olive oil and garlic.

cally
02-11-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't know but it's delicious :)

oblivion
02-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Actually it spread more towards the Levant. It only was introduced into North Africa in more modern times; proper hummus that is with tahini. But the idea of hummus is something that is completely natural the the entire Mediterranean, and every Mediterranean country from Italy to Spain, to the Levant has some form of legume mashed with olive oil and garlic.

The thing that spread more towards the Levant was mostly lebneh and baba ghanoush...the hommos with tahini is more Egyptian...

Myth
02-11-2014, 06:04 PM
I agree it's delicious, I want to make my own here soon, I mainly get the organic stuff at the super market although I've had some of the best hummus at a turkish restaurant, there is also a international market run by a Lebanese guy here who makes his own hummus.

SardiniaAtlantis
02-11-2014, 08:42 PM
The thing that spread more towards the Levant was mostly lebneh and baba ghanoush...the hommos with tahini is more Egyptian...

Yes MOre Egyptian in origin, but it did not spread towards the Maghreb until recent times. It has however been present in the Levant for a very long time. Labneh is not Egyptian in origin. Lebneh if anything is absolutely Levantine probably from Lebanon originally. Foul medmas and Mulukhiyah are the Egyptian things that have most spread outward that and Falafel.

SardiniaAtlantis
02-11-2014, 08:43 PM
I agree it's delicious, I want to make my own here soon, I mainly get the organic stuff at the super market although I've had some of the best hummus at a turkish restaurant, there is also a international market run by a Lebanese guy here who makes his own hummus.

I make my own Hummos all the time. I recommend a bit of chopped fresh mint on it if you want to change things up pleasantly! ;)
I wont give away too many of my secrets but with most Mediterranean food be it Italian, Greek, or Arabic simplicity and balance and quality of ingredients is the key!

oblivion
02-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Yes MOre Egyptian in origin, but it did not spread towards the Maghreb until recent times. It has however been present in the Levant for a very long time. Labneh is not Egyptian in origin. Lebneh if anything is absolutely Levantine probably from Lebanon originally. Foul medmas and Mulukhiyah are the Egyptian things that have most spread outward that and Falafel.
You are right lebneh is definitely not Egyptian. Foul medames and molokhaya are more egyptian.

Taiga Lake
02-11-2014, 09:52 PM
"Hommos"
http://www.troll.me/images/brick-tamland/damn-yall-niggas-gay.jpg

The Great Uniter
04-10-2015, 06:21 AM
The title can be easily misrepresented.