PDA

View Full Version : Would you marry someone for...

Guapo
10-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Or other :wink

Mesrine
10-10-2009, 05:28 AM
IRL, people tend to bore me after one or two minutes, so I don't think I'll ever know the joys of marriage and divorce. I'm definitely not looking forward to it. OK if she's billionaire I'll may think about it. :D

Loxias
10-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Love mostly. Although I will often check girls out thinking how their features would combine with mine in an hypothetical child.

Svarog
10-10-2009, 06:48 AM
I am sure right answer would be love but, tried that and is not all that cool so my answer would more likely be some sex, mine and her pay gives somehow financial security and fear of dying alone.

Tabiti
10-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Other since I'm not going to marry:)
Anyway for me love is: having the same "religion" (ideology), physical attraction, worshiping me as a goddess and being of similar subrace (subrace I like). And yes, he must be antisocial, like me :D

Angantyr
10-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Well, I am going to marry for love...and hopefully soon.

It just so happens that I am capable of loving only redheads for a wife.

Octothorpe
10-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Total romantic love! The wife and I have been in love for decades, and the party still rocks on! We smooch in public, much to the embarassment of the kids and the amusement of the two grandkids. Of course, we're racially compatible (she's German-American and English-American, with her maternal grandpa being born in Germany), so the offspring are not only presentable, but damned cute! :D

Inese
10-10-2009, 03:56 PM
I would marry someone for the same subrace and for love when the ethnicty is not big different to my ethnicity.

Poltergeist
10-10-2009, 04:00 PM
None of the above listed opinions.

For the reason that it is more practical to live in two than being alone.

Cato
10-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Love I s'pose.

Troll's Puzzle
10-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Money of course. Love isn't even real. Can you 'touch' love?
you can't touch a wad of cold money either of course, but that's in a different sense ;)
So-called earthling 'Love' usually only lasts a few years (according to science). Diamonds are forever.

remember the words of the wise - 'you couldn't afford me boys' - Anna Kournikova, Philosopher, Scholar, Athlete. :wink

Atlas
10-11-2009, 09:26 PM
For nothing, there can be a steady relationship without the marriage.

Skandi
10-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Marry, oh my. I don't expect to love someone really, I personally think it would be better to marry your best friend, friendships last longer than love. I certainly would not do it for money, but then I would not marry someone who had no money and refused to go out and make money. The same religion would be nice, but that can cause even more problems than being totally different religions. In short, who knows I'll wait and see. in all probability I'll probably end up with a "shotgun" wedding, and it wouldn't be just my shotgun! :p

The Black Prince
10-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Love.

If you truly love eachother - not meaning calf love or only passion, but true soulmates - it would be utterly foolish if you would choosse to not live with eachother. In that case you'd be foolish if you let things like poverty, the partners ethnicity and/or having a different religion be your causeways not to live with eachother.

On a sidenote, if your partner is rich and/or having the same religion/ideology and/or having the preferred ethnicity, it is nice.:D

Brynhild
10-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm an old softie at heart. If love doesn't cut it, then nothing else will.

SwordoftheVistula
10-12-2009, 03:57 AM
Sub-race is the only mandatory factor for me. Religion is a strong factor as well, I would prefer someone who is atheist, but could tolerate a religious woman if she wasn't too crazy into it and has similar political views. Political viewpoint, especially on race issues, also is near mandatory.

Money I don't care about much, I've always operated under the assumption that that's the man's task to have a job or business and earn money.

Love, what Troll's Puzzle said

Sol Invictus
10-12-2009, 03:58 AM
Love is an illusion. It's all about procreation.

Produce and die, you vermin. You unorganized grab-astic pieces of amphibian shit.

Bridie
10-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Marriage is a very, very lonely place without love.

Troll's Puzzle
01-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Wealthy men give women more orgasms (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article5537017.ece)

Scientists have found that the pleasure women get from making love is directly linked to the size of their partner’s bank balance.

They found that the wealthier a man is, the more frequently his partner has orgasms.
He believes the phenomenon is an “evolutionary adaptation” that is hard-wired into women, driving them to select men on the basis of their perceived quality.

Science is on my side here

Troll's Puzzle
03-13-2010, 04:49 PM
the hand of science continues to strengthen my position!

Why It's Better To Marry For Money
Interview: the authors of "Smart Girls Marry Money," say money is more important than love.
While you may know that love usually doesn't come with a guaranteed fairy-tale ending, you probably are still holding out for, or trying to have your marriage live up to, the idea of truly passionate and romantic love. Elizabeth Ford and Daniela Drake, M.D., authors of the new release Smart Girls Marry Money: How Women Have Been Duped Into the Romantic Dream -- And How They're Paying For It, are here to change your mind, or at least tell you why "happily ever after" hasn't quite happened to them. Read: Marrying "Up"
read more (http://www.yourtango.com/200921645/why-its-better-marry-money?page=0%2C0)

Behold, the words of the poet!

JZ2tYoBfnlw

Some boys kiss me, some boys hug me :hug:
I think theyre o.k. :yawnee20:
If they dont give me proper credit :Cash:
I just walk away :wavey001:

They can beg and they can plead :pray:
But they cant see the light, thats right :rolleyes2:
cause the boy with the cold hard cash :Cash:
Is always mister right, :icon_yes: cause we are

Chorus:

http://www.opendns.com/img/dancing_banana.gifLiving in a material world
And I am a material girl http://www.opendns.com/img/dancing_banana.gif
:rockon:You know that we are living in a material world
And I am a material girl :rockon:

Some boys romance, some boys slow dance :fbard:
Thats all right with me :icon_rolleyes:
But if they cant raise my interest :naughty2: then i
Have to let them be http://forums.skadi.net/images/smilies/foolshouse/fdate.gif

Some boys try and some boys lie but :eusa_liar:
I dont let them play :nono:
Only boys who save their pennies :Cash:
Make my rainy day, http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Nature/rain-052.gif cause they are

(chorus)

Living in a material world [material]
Living in a material world
(repeat)

Boys may come and boys may go :yawnee20:
And thats all right you see :)
Experience has made me rich :wof:
And now they're after me, :humble: cause everybodys

(chorus)

A material, a material, a material, a material world

Living in a material world [material]
Living in a material world
(repeat and fade)

Anthropos
03-13-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm not really interested in marrying a mere patch of mud myself.

Cail
03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I think the marriage institution is backwards and long since outdated.

W. R.
03-13-2010, 06:37 PM
I think the marriage institution is backwards and long since outdated.But nothing better has been invented so far.

Anthropos
03-13-2010, 06:43 PM
But nothing better has been invented so far.
That's an understatement. Some people argue that 'you can love more than one person'. Sure, that's fully possible, but marriage is not just about love. It's about having children and bringing them up well.

Yet another thing is that people who say that 'you can love more than one person' are labouring on modern ideas about love. I'm pretty sure that most of them, after screwing around a bit, will find out how wrong they were.

Tabiti
03-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Living with your partner without a marriage contract? In fact that's quite popular among couples here recently.
But if you're afraid that God might not like your union without paper contract, long religious institutional rituals, white dresses and wedding feasts, then you have one problem to worry about in life;)

Monolith
03-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I think the marriage institution is backwards and long since outdated.
Do you have a better idea?

Living with your partner without a marriage contract?
Marriage is not about some contract.

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 06:51 PM
I would never marry someone just for money (meaning I won't marry old chicks who are loaded) but rather I'd marry someone who I really love. Otherwise the marriage won't work. But in some cases the wife sometimes ruin marriages because they are too worried about money..

Grumpy Cat
03-13-2010, 06:53 PM
I would totally marry someone for money, take out a life-insurance policy, bump him off with a little cyanide in his coffee, and then run off with someone I love.

Tabiti
03-13-2010, 06:55 PM

Not necessary a paper signed contract, but still official contract between you and the other or some institution like church or state. You can be not be "officially" married, but still married in your minds and hearts if you know what I mean.

W. R.
03-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Not necessary a paper signed contract, but still official contract between you and the other or some institution like church or state. You can be not be "officially" married, but still married in your minds and hearts if you know what I mean.Such a signed contract is cool: my children will have my surname. :rolleyes:

Tabiti
03-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Such a signed contract is cool: my children will have my surname. :rolleyes:
Children take the name of their father if he's recognized, no matter if there is marriage or not.
At least this is the law here.

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 07:08 PM
I would totally marry someone for money, take out a life-insurance policy, bump him off with a little cyanide in his coffee, and then run off with someone I love.

I'll write this down, make sure to not marry you then. :D

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I think the question whether the person will marry someone outside ethnic lines is a bit more interesting. ;)

Cail
03-13-2010, 07:24 PM

Yes it was and yes i do. Nothing. Nothing is needed. People are free to do what they want. As long as the love each other, the may (or may not) live together and emulate the way of life currently associated with "marriage". No obligations are necessary (love ends=obligations end).

As for children, marriage is absolutely not required to bring them up. Parents both have equal custody to their children (prior to the child reaching certain age, smth like 12-13, at which he may choose one parent over the other, if he/she so wishes).

Yes. Marriage is a)institutionalized prostution b)traditionalist oppressive mechanism.

W. R.
03-13-2010, 07:45 PM
For centuries the traditional family has functioned well providing growth of European population. Now the notion of the traditional family is being eroded and the indigenous Europeans are dying out. Of course it may be a coincidence, but... :ohwell:

Tabiti
03-13-2010, 07:49 PM
For centuries the traditional family has functioned well providing growth of European population. Now the notion of the traditional family is being eroded and the indigenous Europeans are dying out. Of course it may be a coincidence, but... :ohwell:
This is not because the less popularity of marriage as institution. In fact almost half of the marriages today end in divorce. Can we talk about monogamy, then?

poiuytrewq0987
03-13-2010, 07:51 PM
This is not because the less popularity of marriage as institution. In fact almost half of the marriages today end in divorce. Can we talk about monogamy, then?

One thing I know for sure is if I marry someone who I really love. I would never seek out a divorce every time things get tough. I'd work it out, divorces are handed out too easily nowadays.

I don't think therapy works, because it takes place between a couple and a therapist. The couple has to work out the problems with each others, not with a complete stranger.

Tabiti
03-13-2010, 07:56 PM
One thing I know for sure is if I marry someone who I really love. I would never seek out a divorce every time things get tough. I'd work it out, divorces are handed out too easily nowadays.

I don't think therapy works, because it takes place between a couple and a therapist. The couple has to work out the problems with each others, not with a complete stranger.
Never say never. Some people may change significantly during years and at the end it may come out that you loved other person all of the time. Divorced existed even in ancient times and there's no reason to make the whole procedure more complicated.
About all kinds of psychological therapies modern today, I'm not even going to comment this. Our reality proves their "usefulness" all the time.

W. R.
03-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I know that I can remain faithful to one woman all my life. Not even out of love, just because meine Ehre heißt Treue. My choice will be a woman with whom I could create a stable family in the most traditional sense of the word. Love/money are optional.

Óttar
03-13-2010, 08:10 PM
My partner has to have particular personality traits. They have to be smart, they cannot be too passive or frivolous and they must be capable of tenderness. It would help if they were the same religion as me, although I could tolerate an agnostic or humanist. As for money, they should not be dirt-poor. A respectable amount of wealth is necessary when "seeking an alliance" in order to build and raise a family. I can appreciate different kinds of feminine beauty and I suppose if they owned the Versaille palace or something I would try extra hard to find something to appreciate. :D

Anthropos
03-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Yes it was and yes i do. Nothing. Nothing is needed. People are free to do what they want. As long as the love each other, the may (or may not) live together and emulate the way of life currently associated with "marriage". No obligations are necessary (love ends=obligations end).

As for children, marriage is absolutely not required to bring them up. Parents both have equal custody to their children (prior to the child reaching certain age, smth like 12-13, at which he may choose one parent over the other, if he/she so wishes).

Yes. Marriage is a)institutionalized prostution b)traditionalist oppressive mechanism.
Most of your post was a statement about your own view of things, but the last portion of it, which was stated as if it was a fact, was a ridiculous 'interpretation'. I laughed out loud, literally. Marriage is 'prostitution' and 'oppressive', blah blah blah... That's so stupid, so biased, so propagandistic, so modern, so anti-traditional... so completely anti-preservationist. :P

Nodens
03-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Witness modern marriage. All rationality has clearly vanished from modern marriage; yet that is no objection to marriage, but to modernity. The rationality of marriage — that lay in the husband's sole juridical responsibility, which gave marriage a center of gravity, while today it limps on both legs. The rationality of marriage — that lay in its indissolubility in principle, which lent it an accent that could be heard above the accident of feeling, passion, and what is merely momentary. It also lay in the family's responsibility for the choice of a spouse. With the growing indulgence of love matches, the very foundation of marriage has been eliminated, that which alone makes an institution of it. Never, absolutely never, can an institution be founded on an idiosyncrasy; one cannot, as I have said, found marriage on "love" — it can be founded on the sex drive, on the property drive (wife and child as property), on the drive to dominate, which continually organizes for itself the smallest structure of domination, the family, and which needs children and heirs to hold fast — physiologically too — to an attained measure of power, influence, and wealth, in order to prepare for long-range tasks, for a solidarity of instinct between the centuries. Marriage as an institution involves the affirmation of the largest and most enduring form of organization: when society cannot affirm itself as a whole, down to the most distant generations, then marriage has altogether no meaning. Modern marriage has lost its meaning — consequently one abolishes it.

- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols

Monolith
03-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Not necessary a paper signed contract, but still official contract between you and the other or some institution like church or state. You can be not be "officially" married, but still married in your minds and hearts if you know what I mean.
Yes, I understand. From a purely materialist perspective, the "contract" is superfluous. However, there is emotional as well as spiritual dimension of the marriage, whereas it is the only sacrament between two human beings. Also, there's a cultural, economic and demographic significance of it, and these factors are intertwined and inseparable.

This is an absolute lunacy, when it concerns children. Any pedagogue will tell you that what is absolutely essential for the children is a healthy, stable living environment, for them to develop intellectually and emotionally. Living in an environment with divorced parents hardly qualifies as a stable one, much like the atmosphere in the home of a married couple who fight a lot.

Seconded.

Germanicus
03-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Marriage lasted 26 years for me, having my head kicked in and my balls stuffed into my mouth is not very appealing for to me to try again.
Mrs Germanicus has been asked to marry me, but she says i am not in the correct mindset for such a burden and has turned me down, i am not a man that asks twice, so i guess we will leave it at that and see how things go.

Grumpy Cat
03-14-2010, 12:38 AM
I think the question whether the person will marry someone outside ethnic lines is a bit more interesting. ;)

My mother would shoot me if I did that.

Arrow Cross
03-14-2010, 01:40 AM
No.

_______
08-05-2011, 11:55 PM
love is what matters most, but i would like to marry someone who ticked all of those boxes

poiuytrewq0987
08-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Sex, money, power. That's the point of marrying someone. Love is overrated and 99.7% of the time it's bullshit. If you marry for love it's either because of your biological clock ticking, or you're just plain unattractive.

BeerBaron
08-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Marriage? what a foolish notion to subscribe to without a massive prenuptial agreement, women who marry money are smart, men who make them sign the contract stating they won't ever get their hands on it should anything happen are smarter. "Love" is stupid concept that usually ends up costing people their asses.

mymy
08-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Love

The only reasonable choice here. And i need to add, not any kind of love, it must be really powerful.

Money

No, i'm not materialistic. I will work and I hope other side also, so i hope we will have enough for decent life.

Having the same religion as yourself

Well, I have my own believing and i'm not really close to church. So no, religion doesn't play important role. Btw, i already dated guy of different religion.

The same sub-race as yourself.I want to breed blondes/brunettes, whatever.Im weird and probably anti-social too

Haha, this is funny. As someone who has all European racial types in family i can't be sure what i can give to kids, so any sub-race is welcomed from other side.

I need to add that i don't associate marriage with signing paper. Understanding and belonging is more important.

mymy
08-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Sex, money, power. That's the point of marrying someone. Love is overrated and 99.7% of the time it's bullshit. If you marry for love it's either because of your biological clock ticking, or you're just plain unattractive.

Marriage? what a foolish notion to subscribe to without a massive prenuptial agreement, women who marry money are smart, men who make them sign the contract stating they won't ever get their hands on it should anything happen are smarter. "Love" is stupid concept that usually ends up costing people their asses.

I bet you 2 will in the end marry for love with someone who you even didn't imagine to marry! It usually happen like that :D

And i will probably get some average guy and have traditional marriage because those are 2 things what i hate the most. I can't even imagine myself in wedding dress and all that circus!:eek:

Bridie
08-06-2011, 07:09 AM
If you marry for love it's either because of your biological clock ticking, or you're just plain unattractive.Actually, I think those two categories of people would be the least likely to marry for love. Love isn't so easy to come by...

BeerBaron
08-06-2011, 07:16 AM
The only reasonable choice here. And i need to add, not any kind of love, it must be really powerful.

No, i'm not materialistic. I will work and I hope other side also, so i hope we will have enough for decent life.

I dont think love and reasonable go together, love confounds reason.

That's good not to be, but marrying into debt is a bad idea, most marriages are lost over monetary issues, so marrying someone who is economically stable at least seems reasonable.

Bridie
08-06-2011, 07:29 AM
That's good not to be, but marrying into debt is a bad idea, most marriages are lost over monetary issues, so marrying someone who is economically stable at least seems reasonable.I'm sure that's an urban myth. I seem to know many divorced people and I can not think of one of them whose marriage failed because of financial concerns. Lack of good communication and the consequences of this (loss of emotional/intellectual/spiritual connection and therefore loss of love, trust etc.) seems to overwhelmingly be the determinant. In marriages where there is no or little love, abuses are commonplace too.

A marriage without love is a very lonely and empty place.

Peasant
08-06-2011, 07:36 AM
I'll never marry anyone.

silver_surfer
11-16-2013, 07:56 AM
When she makes me feel smarter and more attractive than everyone, but I think I pale in comparison to her.

Odin
09-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Only for love.

Harley
09-11-2017, 06:02 AM
I married and conceived for love.

Then, I married because why not.

I was acting as a sober driver for my friend the other night. I realize that I talk shit to my husband and told him I don't want to marry unless there is a benefit for me, but honestly, I'd probably be lost without him.

I tend to think I am bad luck. I fear one day that he will die, and I will be lost. Then where is my heart?

SkyBurn
09-11-2017, 06:04 AM
Depends. How much money are we talking here?

RenaRyuguu
10-22-2021, 11:17 PM
only Love why would you marry for money what's the point