PDA

View Full Version : Russia's nimble footwork on Syria

Loki
09-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Russia's nimble footwork on Syria (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24045650)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69781000/jpg/_69781178_69781172.jpg
While President Obama has been accused of U-turns and zigzags on Syria, President Putin has been unshakeably opposed to a US strike

Vladimir Putin is often accused of sticking spanners in the works of international diplomacy.

But if Russia's initiative on Syria is successful, it would be a huge diplomatic coup for the Kremlin leader.

Averting a US military strike on a key ally in the Middle East, while removing the threat from Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's chemical weapons: that would already be seen as a stunning success for Moscow.

According to several Russian newspapers this morning, it would also allow US President Barack Obama to "save face", by removing the need for a military action most Americans are uneasy with.

On the issue of Syria, Russia seems to have kept one step ahead of the United States.

While President Obama has been accused of U-turns and zigzags, of drawing red lines and being slow to act on them, President Putin has been as solid and unshakeable as the Kremlin walls: consistently opposed to a US strike.

The Kremlin's not for turning. What's more, Russia believes that its message has been getting through and that its tough stance has helped dilute international support for US military action.

Last week, the UN, the EU and the Vatican all expressed their support for a political solution.

Even if the Russian initiative eventually unravels amid bickering and paralysis in the Security Council, Moscow can still argue that at least it tried to find a peaceful solution.

Euramerican
09-11-2013, 10:49 PM
I question why Putin waited so long to work with us? He didn't come up with anything serious until he realized he might have to back up Syria. Now Assad finally admits he has chemical but just a few days ago he was interviewed by Charlie Rose and he still would not admit to having chemical weapons. Americans are very wary of everything at this point. This situation is still a long way from actually happening. Today I heard that Putin wants immunity for Assad for war crimes. That isn't going to happen. Nobody on this planet is worthy of that.

Loki
09-11-2013, 11:14 PM
I question why Putin waited so long to work with us? He didn't come up with anything serious until he realized he might have to back up Syria. Now Assad finally admits he has chemical but just a few days ago he was interviewed by Charlie Rose and he still would not admit to having chemical weapons. Americans are very wary of everything at this point. This situation is still a long way from actually happening. Today I heard that Putin wants immunity for Assad for war crimes. That isn't going to happen. Nobody on this planet is worthy of that.

American warmongers have no business in Syria.