PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination in Israel

Acquisitor
09-11-2013, 06:05 PM
This topic is about Israel, and not about Gaza or West bank. So if you want to post pictures of the wall, please do so in another topic, there are plenty of those

Yesterday there was a discussion about discrimination of Arabs in Israel.

On paper every citizen of Israel is equal. Major groups are ashkenazim, mizrahim, sephardim those are "jews", another major group is Israeli arabs, they form about 20% of the society.

Can any rational Israeli here, (looking at Sblast and some others) describe how these groups treat each other and which group receives the most discrimination ? particularly interested in Arabs and how they are treated. I'm not looking to confirm that Arab Israeli's are generally suffer only minor unofficial discrimination, I'm looking for "truth" so opinions are welcome.

I made aliyah in 1992 as a young kid and from what I remember there were certain barriers between ashkenazi/sephardi/mizrachi/arabs.

Smaug
09-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Interesting. I'd also would like to know how foreigners are treated in Israel by Jews and Arabs. If a Welshman like me had to live in Israel for some reason how would it be?

Acquisitor
09-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Interesting. I'd also would like to know how foreigners are treated in Israel by Jews and Arabs. If a Welshman like me lived had in Israel for some reason how would it be?

yes, it would be interesting to hear about the "jews" vs "goyim" story, and from a real source and not from internet idiots who are convinced that jews look at goyim as cattle

Philo
09-13-2013, 05:36 PM
I have an Arab in my college class and he's treated compeltely equal, never heard anybody talk to him in a racist manner. Just contributing what I know first-hand.

sevruk
09-13-2013, 05:37 PM
yes, it would be interesting to hear about the "jews" vs "goyim" story, and from a real source and not from internet idiots who are convinced that jews look at goyim as cattle

And that it is not?

Sblast
09-13-2013, 05:41 PM
You would have to clarify "discrimination" in this context, since it's going to be the implied conclusion more than once on this topic.

StonyArabia
09-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I have an Arab in my college class and he's treated compeltely equal, never heard anybody talk to him in a racist manner. Just contributing what I know first-hand.

Was he a Druze I am just carious.

Acquisitor
09-13-2013, 05:54 PM
You would have to clarify "discrimination" in this context, since it's going to be the implied conclusion more than once on this topic.

Im an arab and you are a jew. We are both 25 and have the same university degree. We look nearly alike, speak hebrew, english and so on.

in everyday life, what kind of situations could I be looked down at, or be denied chances vs you ?

Kiyant
09-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Generally i dont think anyone gets discriminated in Israel but one of my relatives said that someone told him in Tel-Aviv to go back to Mongolia and that he is not a "Real" Jew so there are individual racist ones.

Acquisitor
09-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Generally i dont think anyone gets discriminated in Israel but one of my relatives said that someone told him in Tel-Aviv to go back to Mongolia and that he is not a "Real" Jew so there are individual racist ones.

like everywhere ?

Philo
09-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Was he a Druze I am just carious.

No.