PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Inequality - Gender Inequality?

Equinox
10-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Hello,

I have been inspired by this thread (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9322), in particular this post (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113521&postcount=9) to raise an issue I have long had mixed opinions about.

As with the other threads I have started I would like you to vote on, and comment on this thread.

The question:

Should there be different fitness requirements for men and women in the military?

EDIT: Would somebody be able to insert a poll in this thread? I am currently unable to do so.

Loki
10-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Poll added.

Piparskeggr
10-12-2009, 12:00 AM
From having been in a combat engineering outfit and seeing the effect of dropping physical standards (such a weight bearing ability) to accommodate women my vote is no.

Some of the best equipment drivers I knew were female, but when it came to the grunt work we had to do, they slowed down the mission.

SwordoftheVistula
10-12-2009, 01:12 AM
No

But maybe there should be different fitness requirements for combat/field units and support, if you're sitting behind a computer all day you don't need to be in the same shape as someone in a combat unit.

Psychonaut
10-12-2009, 07:08 AM
but when it came to the grunt work we had to do, they slowed down the mission.

Ditto. I've never met a woman who, while wearing her 50+ lbs. of gear, pick me (also wearing 50+ lbs. of gear) up and sprint to safety. This is one of the most basic soldiering skill (aside from reacting to contact) that I can think of, but practically none of the females in my unit are capable of it. Even the ones who are able to get a perfect score on their PT (physical training) tests usually can't. Even if the PT requirements were the same, the number of push-ups and sit ups a woman is capable of doing has hardly any bearing on whether or not she's able to lift 200+ lbs. of dead weight and run with it. It's not a big deal in my unit since we're a strategic MI company, but I sure as Hell wouldn't feel safe under fire with women who I know could not carry me to safety if I were shot.

Bridie
10-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Women should only serve in a medical capacity in the military. In which case, fitness requirements need only be minimal for women.

asulf
10-12-2009, 07:30 AM
I think of two parameters

_1 man has more physical strength than women .:D

_2 a woman has more than reflexes. ;):wink

except unitées combat, women have their place in what is logistics, transmitir, piloting of helicopters or fighter planes of everything that appeals to the mind and manipulation of objects or of devices. :thumb001:

when at physical training, may in some cases save their lives, in case of clashes.

Learn handle, dismount, remount, a firearm and is not used ..... essential!

asulf
10-12-2009, 07:43 AM
:coffee:oops sorry
my synapses do not bathe in coffee ...
I wanted to say well use it to make use of handguns
:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::D

Tabiti
10-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Yes, as there are different sport competitions. Female and male bodies are different when it comes for physical abilities. However, that must be for combat units. In intelligence, engineering and aviation units no difference should be made.

Octothorpe
10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
I voted that there should be not be different standards for men and women, for the reasons already mentioned. However, if a female can meet those standards, go for it (where I grew up, there were some farmgirls who'd put most city boys to shame in strength and endurance)! There are wimpy little men who can't meet the standards, and they should stay out. It's up to who can get the mission accomplished. :thumbs up

Μαρία
06-01-2019, 03:04 PM
dont think

Μαρία
06-01-2019, 03:06 PM
no

PaleoEuropean
06-01-2019, 03:08 PM
I believe yes, because women don't as high of bone or muscle density and women when they are over exercised begin to undergo negative biological changes such as a loss of their menses.