PDA

View Full Version : Top 10: Reasons Gentlemen Prefer Brunettes

Atlantic Islander
09-12-2013, 10:54 PM
10 Reasons Why Gentlemen Prefer Brunettes

Given that they’re the butt of an entire category of humor, the dumb blonde is an archetype we’re all familiar with. It would appear, however, that an equal number of myths about brunettes abound, though they tend to be more favorable than those we hold for blondes and redheads.

The news has just broken that after 72 days of marital bliss, our favorite brunette, Kim Kardashian, is filing for divorce from Kris Humphries. Smart girl, we think. To celebrate Kim's return to singledom, we present the most commonly held stereotypes about brown-haired beauties to provide insight into why brunettes fare better than blondes.

10. Body art is rated as more attractive on brunettes

http://imageshack.us/a/img46/3425/ut47.jpg

In a study on how 150 people rated tattoos on women’s bodies, researchers found that in images of women with body art, the women were rated as less physically attractive, as drinking more heavily and as being more sexually promiscuous compared to images of women without body art. Interestingly, however, this study also found a link between tattoos and hair color, as blonde women with body art received even lower ratings than brunettes with body art. Altogether, these results point to the possibility that the same behavior or lifestyle choices made by a brunette relative to a blonde may result in less harsh judgments from others.

9. Brunettes are perceived as more worldy and mature

http://imageshack.us/a/img19/9412/vh5j.jpg

A recent study conducted in Poland on 360 men between the ages of 18 to 46 claims that blond-haired women, compared to women with brown locks, are rated as younger looking. While that’s great news for blond women hoping to shave a few years off their actual age, the flip side of this finding is that youth is also associated with immaturity and superficiality. In harmony with this notion, a different study found that among the men polled, 63% would prefer to engage in an in-depth conversation with a brunette.

8. Brunettes are believed to be more self-sufficient

http://imageshack.us/a/img191/5008/i1hq.jpg

One finding from a UK study led by Peter Ayton on the perceptions of more than 1,500 men was that 67% of respondents suggested that brunettes were self-sufficient. In contrast, 40% of individuals polled described the blond model in the study as lacking independence and being needy.

7. Brunettes are perceived as more serious

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/2105/2faj.jpg

One study found that, when pitted against brunette counterparts, a blonde model was viewed as being approachable by 63% of men, and 59% thought she was an extrovert. These findings are in line with the commonly held belief that blondes are more fun-loving and frivolous, meaning that in contrast, we may have a tendency to view brunettes as more down-to-earth and practical.

6. Brunettes are perceived as being less temperamental

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/972/jjpa.jpg

When scientists gave a group of participants three different photographs of the same woman wearing wigs that made her a blonde, brunette or redhead and asked them to rate the images on a variety of dimensions, brunettes were rated as less temperamental than redheads. What’s more, in a UK study conducted by Peter Ayton that surveyed over 1,500 men, 45% of respondents described redheads as neurotic, and 64% endorsed the stereotype characterizing redheads as fiery.

5. Brunettes are thought to be more capable

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/4025/temy.jpg

A study on the influence of hair color and makeup on a woman’s professional abilities asked college students to look over the resume of a female candidate that came with a photograph of a woman sporting blond, red or brown hair. Participants in the study determined that the pretend applicant was more capable when she was a brunette and wore no cosmetics. These results point to the notion that a woman’s hair color may have real-life implications in terms of others' perceptions of her professional abilities.

4. Brunettes are thought to earn more money

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/8036/mcxq.jpg

In the same study in which college respondents were asked to review the resume of a blond, brunette or redheaded woman, participants indicated that they felt the brunette applicant, particularly if she was not wearing any makeup, would earn a higher salary than other females. Together with this study’s other finding, these results have real-life implications for brunettes, where they may have more earning power based on the perception that they are more capable than women with other hair colors.

3. Brunettes are perceived as more intelligent

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/4606/lebh.jpg

Many studies on how a woman’s hair color influences other people’s perception of her intelligence show similar findings. In a study by Weir and Fine-Davis, male participants gave blondes significantly lower ratings than they did to brunettes when it came to intelligence. At least one other study has reported that men assign higher intelligence ratings to brunettes, with 81% of men equating brunette with brainpower.

2. Men feel more successful with a brunette by their side

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/4101/6h3f.jpg

From a massive poll of 2,565 people (1,005 men and 1,560 women), researchers found that at least one in five males surveyed admitted to feeling more successful when the woman on their arm was a brunette. It would seem, then, that the perception of brunettes as being more competent may rub off on their partners.

1. Brunettes are viewed as marriage material

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/1623/05p6.jpg

Commissioned by a multinational electronics company, a study that sought input from 1,500 men found that 61% of respondents subscribed to the idea that brunettes make the most ideal wives, with 60% associating qualities such as loyalty and integrity with dark-maned women. In stark contrast, only 14% of the men in this study attributed these qualities to blondes.

source (http://www.askmen.com)

HispaniaSagrada
09-12-2013, 11:02 PM
dgdfg

Albion
09-12-2013, 11:59 PM
I've always preferred brunettes, they generally look nicer and more natural instead of plastic looking blondes.

Carlito's Way
09-13-2013, 12:04 AM
i agree with this, i like brunettes better, they are type you take serious
blondes have that one night stand type face

Oneeye
09-13-2013, 12:06 AM
That's alright guys, I'll take good care of the yummy blondes being passed up.

Pjeter Pan
09-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Its a fucking hair colour its doesn't make you smarter or better than blondes and gingers. These "studies"are stupid

Atlantic Islander
09-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Its a fucking hair colour its doesn't make you smarter or better than blondes and gingers. These "studies"are stupid

It's not based on facts, it's based on men's perception of brunettes.

Kazimiera
09-13-2013, 12:16 AM
And then people want to know why I dye my hair dark?

This article is true and I have experienced myself is very real.

When I was blonde, I had many more suitors who chased after me but they were far less serious than the ones I met when my hair was dark. They just wanted to screw.
At a job interview for a secretarial position I was told that "This is a company which likes to be taken seriously, therefore we don't hire blondes in front-line positions." (yes, I was told this in my face but my prospective boss)
I don't need to listen to all the blonde jokes which people think are really funny.
I don't need to listen to, "Oh, you're so bright! You really are a non-stereotypical blonde!"
I don't need to have my pants pulled down in public (as happened before) so that a bunch of guys could "check" if I was a REAL blonde.
Women find me less threatening than before - other females are suspicious of blondes
People take my opinions more seriously and I don't get brushed off as much as before
I draw a lot less attention from lecherous old men

I prefer living undercover.

Aurora
09-13-2013, 12:17 AM
I've always preferred brunettes, they generally look nicer and more natural instead of plastic looking blondes.

But what about natural blondes?

You know not all blondes are bottle blondes.

Mark
09-13-2013, 12:17 AM
I traditionally prefer Brunettes. But I am still attracted to blondes and gingers.

Vasconcelos
09-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Whatever, I still like blondes better.

Atlantic Islander
09-13-2013, 12:19 AM

At a job interview for a secretarial position I was told that "This is a company which likes to be taken seriously, therefore we don't hire blondes in front-line positions." (yes, I was told this in my face but my prospective boss)

Wow, that's terrible. :(

Aurora
09-13-2013, 12:22 AM
I grew up in the punk/metal/goth scene and was given a lot of crap for being blonde, so I dyed my hair for many years. Most of the time it was black. It was cute. I thought I looked like snow white.

Smeagol
09-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Stop with this brunette supremacy, we prefer blondes.

Not a Cop
09-13-2013, 12:25 AM
Long hair, short hair, no hair ......

Permafrost
09-13-2013, 12:25 AM
And then people want to know why I dye my hair dark?

When I was blonde, I had many more suitors who chased after me but they were far less serious than the ones I met when my hair was dark. They just wanted to screw.
I don't need to listen to all the blonde jokes which people think are really funny.
I don't need to listen to, "Oh, you're so bright! You really are a non-stereotypical blonde!"
I don't need to have my pants pulled down in public (as happened before) so that a bunch of guys could "check" if I was a REAL blonde.
Women find me less threatening than before - other females are suspicious of blondes
People take my opinions more seriously and I don't get brushed off as much as before

I prefer living undercover.

South Africa... seriously, what the hell is going on down there!?!?!?!

Graham
09-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Real blonde women, should be mad at bottle blonds. They've killed their rep.

Brunette is such a common hair colour though, compared to real blonde hair.

Atlantic Islander
09-13-2013, 12:29 AM

Maybe read the thing before posting? Geez. This article is about how men perceive brunettes, it's not a very serious article.

If you want facts about blondes go here. (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?93402-40-Flaxen-Facts-About-Blonde-Hair)

Kazimiera
09-13-2013, 12:36 AM
South Africa... seriously, what the hell is going on down there!?!?!?!

This was in the late 1990's. I started dyeing my hair in 2000, so this is old news. I haven't been a blonde this millennium so perhaps perceptions have changed.

I did have one funny experience though in mid-90's. My hair was long and blonde. I was walking in the street when I felt someone stroke down my hair very lightly. When I turned around it was a very old black man wearing traditional beads. He'd stroked down the back of my head and had in his hand the loose strands of hair which normally fall out on their own. He didn't grab me by my hair, just loosely brushed over it with his hands and caught up the single hairs.

When I turned around he was standing with the hairs in his hands and busy trying to put them in an envelope. I asked him what he was doing and he offered me money to pay for the hair. It was a lot of money and he looked like he needed it more than me. I asked him why he wanted to pay me for it. And he said he needs it for his magic (he was a witch-doctor). I asked him what kind of magic he needs it for and if the magic would affect me. He said he needs to make a good magic spell for someone which requires the pale hair of a living person, that it is a good spell and that it would not affect the person who the hair comes from. I told him to keep his money and my hair.

Regardless of whether his magic works or not, if it made the person who paid for his spell feel better then I have done a good deed. :)

Permafrost
09-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Regardless of whether his magic works or not, if it made the person who paid for his spell feel better then I have done a good deed. :)

Actually, a brilliant excuse for stroking down someone's hair.

Why, that just gave me an idea...

Incal
09-13-2013, 12:48 AM
I like both blondes and brunettes as long as they got some booty. That being said, brunettes have better ass on average.

Albion
09-13-2013, 01:29 AM
But what about natural blondes?

You know not all blondes are bottle blondes.

I was joking with my comment, a find natural blondes attractive, bottle blondes usually look a bit fake and a bit weird though.

NORDICIST!

This was in the late 1990's. I started dyeing my hair in 2000, so this is old news. I haven't been a blonde this millennium so perhaps perceptions have changed.

I did have one funny experience though in mid-90's. My hair was long and blonde. I was walking in the street when I felt someone stroke down my hair very lightly. When I turned around it was a very old black man wearing traditional beads. He'd stroked down the back of my head and had in his hand the loose strands of hair which normally fall out on their own. He didn't grab me by my hair, just loosely brushed over it with his hands and caught up the single hairs.

When I turned around he was standing with the hairs in his hands and busy trying to put them in an envelope. I asked him what he was doing and he offered me money to pay for the hair. It was a lot of money and he looked like he needed it more than me. I asked him why he wanted to pay me for it. And he said he needs it for his magic (he was a witch-doctor). I asked him what kind of magic he needs it for and if the magic would affect me. He said he needs to make a good magic spell for someone which requires the pale hair of a living person, that it is a good spell and that it would not affect the person who the hair comes from. I told him to keep his money and my hair.

And you still don't think Africans are primitive?

Smeagol
09-13-2013, 01:58 AM
Maybe read the thing before posting? Geez.

I did, the brunette supremacy comment was a joke, but anyway, I don't believe it.

Leon_C
09-13-2013, 06:11 PM
This is definitely holds true for my perceptions of women, the most intelligent females I know have brown - dark brown hair, I personally prefer darker haired women although this hasn't always been the case.

Manifest Destiny
10-02-2013, 02:02 AM
I traditionally prefer Brunettes. But I am still attracted to blondes and gingers.

Redheads? Yes.

Gingers? No.

larali
10-02-2013, 02:12 AM
I've been every color. I feel like, as a brunette, people are more open and friendly to me. Men and women alike. The men I've dated all prefer brown on me, as does my dad. Maybe it just works better on me.

Manifest Destiny
10-02-2013, 02:16 AM
I've been every color. I feel like, as a brunette, people are more open and friendly to me. Men and women alike. The men I've dated all prefer brown on me, as does my dad. Maybe it just works better on me.

My wife is a natural blond, but has died her hair dark brown on a number of occasions. I think it looks good on her.

Alenka
10-02-2013, 02:20 AM
How did people treat you when you had other colors? Did you notice a difference as a blonde for example?

Mark
Redheads? Yes.
Gingers? No.
I think of them as one and the same. :shrug:

Vesuvian Sky

But what of lecherous octopi?:cool::icon_ask:

Manifest Destiny
10-02-2013, 02:29 AM
I think of them as one and the same. :shrug:

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g366/drivenascar/C0C98E36-F0F7-4756-8C9D-FE8BCC492498-14999-00000E67F0A8C9A2.jpg

Mark
10-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Okay, thought the term ginger or redhead were interchangeable. My Mother is a redhead, btw.

Lábaru
10-02-2013, 03:01 AM
I prefer dark haired women, but those of the photos of the "top 10" are pretty ugly, some even do not look European at all.

Bah.

Lábaru
10-02-2013, 03:04 AM
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g366/drivenascar/C0C98E36-F0F7-4756-8C9D-FE8BCC492498-14999-00000E67F0A8C9A2.jpg

That hair looks dyed, I know very beautiful redheads in my city

Manifest Destiny
10-02-2013, 03:06 AM
That hair looks dyed, I know very beautiful redheads in my city

Quit ruining my jokes! :p

Atlantic Islander
10-02-2013, 06:18 AM
I prefer dark haired women, but those of the photos of the "top 10" are pretty ugly, some even do not look European at all.

Bah.

Lol, they are just photos from the site. They don't mean anything.

FaeAus
10-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Have tried every colour, but naturally dark works best for me. Men approach me as though I'm easy and stupid when I'm blonde. They actually want to converse with me as a brunette. I've heard brunettes be described as 'mysterious' as well, which is alluring.

Útrám
10-02-2013, 06:50 AM
I've found there is too much variation within the two for any of this to ring true.

glass
10-02-2013, 06:51 AM
im ok with natural blondes but i have prejudes against dyed "blondes". (actually they fit "stupid blonde" stereotype very well)

amerinese
10-02-2013, 07:00 AM
[CENTER]10 Reasons Why Gentlemen Prefer Brunettes

Given that they’re the butt of an entire category of humor, the dumb blonde is an archetype we’re all familiar with. It would appear, however, that an equal number of myths about brunettes abound, though they tend to be more favorable than those we hold for blondes and redheads.

The news has just broken that after 72 days of marital bliss, our favorite brunette, Kim Kardashian, is filing for divorce from Kris Humphries. Smart girl, we think. To celebrate Kim's return to singledom, we present the most commonly held stereotypes about brown-haired beauties to provide insight into why brunettes fare better than blondes.

This must be an old article you copied and pasted, because that happened quite a while ago. Anyway, Kim Kardashian is a whore, and not a good representative of brunettes.

10. Body art is rated as more attractive on brunettes

In a study on how 150 people rated tattoos on women’s bodies, researchers found that in images of women with body art, the women were rated as less physically attractive, as drinking more heavily and as being more sexually promiscuous compared to images of women without body art. Interestingly, however, this study also found a link between tattoos and hair color, as blonde women with body art received even lower ratings than brunettes with body art. Altogether, these results point to the possibility that the same behavior or lifestyle choices made by a brunette relative to a blonde may result in less harsh judgments from others.

Tattoos on women are for cheap pole-swinging strippers and methed out biker bitches. My wife wouldn't have married me if I had any tattoos, and vice versa actually. Her dad came back from the Navy without tattoos. My dad was a guitar player in a band without tattoos. Tattoos are banned in our family.

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/4606/lebh.jpg

Many studies on how a woman’s hair color influences other people’s perception of her intelligence show similar findings. In a study by Weir and Fine-Davis, male participants gave blondes significantly lower ratings than they did to brunettes when it came to intelligence. At least one other study has reported that men assign higher intelligence ratings to brunettes, with 81% of men equating brunette with brainpower.

I shared at least one of these stories over on ABF. I work in IT. One day, at the office, I get a call from my wife, and she tells me her laptop is having issues... she was using it, and it simply quit on her and shut itself down. So when I get home, I check it out, and she has somehow unplugged it and allowed the power to run down.

Another time, I come home and she tells me her laptop is having issues. Also I see in the garage, that she has thrown out her blender. I think WTF? She was blending some tough shit and tripped the GFCI outlet. The laptop was plugged into a slave outlet, while the blender was plugged into a master outlet. I laughed at her about that.

She's not "stupid" in a conventional sense, being more well-read and having a more well-rounded education than me, and I wouldn't have procreated with a retard, but when it comes to troubleshooting technical shit... well she says she married an IT guy to solve problems when she forgets to plug in her laptop. I also end up being the escalation path for assistance with the mathematical word problems my 4th grade son brings home.

1. Brunettes are viewed as marriage material

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/1623/05p6.jpg

Commissioned by a multinational electronics company, a study that sought input from 1,500 men found that 61% of respondents subscribed to the idea that brunettes make the most ideal wives, with 60% associating qualities such as loyalty and integrity with dark-maned women. In stark contrast, only 14% of the men in this study attributed these qualities to blondes.

Yeah, this. It isn't that I find blondes totally unattractive, but I am somehow more compatible with brunettes and redheads. I have never been in a long-term relationship with the former, only the latter.

Atlantic Islander
10-02-2013, 07:16 AM
This must be an old article you copied and pasted, because that happened quite a while ago.

Yes, it's an old article, the source is linked at the bottom.

larali
10-02-2013, 08:11 AM
How did people treat you when you had other colors? Did you notice a difference as a blonde for example?

Platinum blonde: People just acted kind of surprised. It didn't suit me very well.
Black: Mom and dad hated it, everybody else thought it was cool. Got attention from cute punk rock type guys.
Highlighted blonde: Got attention from traditional type guys and frat boys.
Strawberry blonde: Guys loved this the best I think. Tons of compliments from guys and girls.
Red: Got hit on by a lot of older men. People thought it was natural on me.
Brown/auburn (natural): I don't get much attention anymore but the people I'm close to prefer this color, maybe because it's just me.

Blackout
10-03-2013, 01:11 AM
http://www.msgweb.nl/emoticons/thumbs_up.gif

Brunettes!

Smaug
10-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Interesting. I myself have always preferred brunettes.

American_Hispanist
10-03-2013, 01:30 AM
for me, I tend to be attracted more to brunettes than blondes (I don't mind natural blondes, I dislike fake ones). but, the girl who I have wanted most was a dark-blonde..... things like that happen. :lol: