PDA

View Full Version : 10 Most beautiful countries in the World

Atlantic Islander
09-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Every country has its marvels and breathtaking landscapes, but these ten are blessed with a rare package of outstanding natural beauty and man-made wonders that enhance their territories with everything from beautiful cities to timeless villages, magnificent parks and pristine scenery. They are countries that offer a variety of sights and an abundance of inspiration from man and nature.

1 | ITALY

The world's most beautiful city, the most inspiring cultural treasures, and magnificent scenery: Nowhere else in the world will you find a bigger concentration of beauty. There's Venice, Florence and Rome with their varied architecture, the natural masterpiece that is Tuscany with its rolling hills, vineyards and snow-peaked mountains. Then there's the perfect naturalist painting that is the Amalfi Coast or Lake Maggiore and the Alps and you get the sense that no country on Earth offers as much beauty anywhere you turn as Italy.

2 | SPAIN

The most common image of Spain is of the dreadful overdevelopment of the Costa del Sol or of the coastline of some of the Balearic Islands, but Spain is so much more than that. It's perhaps the most diverse country in the world, with everything from white Mediterranean villages to sophisticated urban centers. You won't find a city with a greater sense of individuality than Barcelona, and from the Pyrenees to Andalusia, Spain could serve as the backdrop for any kind of film, book or painting. It's also the world's most seductive country, passionate about living the good life reflected on grand plazas in even the smaller cities, in well-preserved historic centers, and in the smallest of villages perched on hilltops. To top it all off, there are some of the world's grandest, most powerful and incomparable architectural treasures, from the Alhambra to the Great Mosque of Cordoba.

3 | FRANCE

Paris exudes the most perfect atmosphere of cultural grandeur but although the capital gets all the attention, France offers so much more. Villages with abundant Old World charm are all over the country, from around the magnificent Loire Valley to verdant Provence. Then there's the glamorous Riviera and if you want to see the world's greatest palace (Versailles) and museum (the Louvre), here they are. But France is also a country of world-class living in outdoor cafes, in perfectly-preserved towns and in wine-producing regions such as Bordeaux and Champagne. If that's not enough, see the majesty of Mont St. Michel, the numerous chateaux all over the country and the spectacular panorama of the Chamonix valley.

4 | AUSTRALIA

Australia is more than a country, it's a continent and still more than that. It's its own world, from the Outback and the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park with its world-renowned stone monolith to the Kakadu National Park. It's in fact wild parks and a wide range of landscapes that make Australia so extraordinary, from the Mornington Peninsula National Park facing the open sea to the Great Barrier Reef that's one of the natural wonders of the world, to the unspoiled tropical Whitsunday Islands, but then there's Sydney and its harbor, one of the most beautiful and iconic urban areas. Australia has it all, to be admired before or after a ride down the Great Ocean Road.

5 | GREECE

The Greek Islands on the blue waters of the Aegean Sea are home to some of the world's most beautiful beaches. They're the first images of the country but then there's the majestic Mt. Olympus, extraordinary Meteora, and ancient ruins around the country. While Athens disappoints those looking for aesthetic inspiration, Greece is a country that truly satisfies all the senses and it's understandable how the idea of so many gods originated here.

6 | PORTUGAL

For the pristine natural wonders of the volcanic Azores alone, Portugal would be on this list. Then there's the "floating garden" that is Madeira, the dramatic coastline and mystical capes of the mainland, the serene plains of the Alentejo with the stunningly-sited white medieval vilages of Marvão and Monsaraz, the Peneda-Gerês National Park, or the perfect collaboration of man and nature in the magic fantasy of Sintra and verdant Douro Valley. And while the old centers of Lisbon and Porto are inexplicably rundown and stubbornly neglected, it's hard to match their scenic beauty with their grand riverside settings. Everything is in a small scale but when all combined it's impressive how so much diverse beauty somehow fits in such a tiny country that seems to be a favorite of the sun.

7 | USA

It has the ugliest cities in the developed world linked by shopping mall roads of fast food joints, car lots, billboards, cheap hotels and soulless suburbs (with deluded populations obliviously living the American nightmare), but when it comes to nature, America really is the beautiful. There are the Hawaiian islands, the epic scale of the Grand Canyon, the extraordinarily clear waters of Lake Tahoe, California's Big Sur, the wildlife in Alaska, the breathtaking scenery of Monument Valley or of Yellowstone, Yosemite and the other great national parks, the forestland of the Great Smoky Mountains... The list of natural wonders seems to go on forever and then there's San Francisco to save the country on the offer of beauty in an urban setting.

8 | BRAZIL

It has one of the world's most beautiful cities (Rio de Janeiro) and one of the ugliest (São Paulo) but Brazil really is blessed by nature. The Amazon is incomparable, impossible to begin to imagine its magnitude, and the horseshoe-shaped falls of Iguaçu regularly watched by a rainbow is one of the world's most breathtaking sights. The colonial baroque architecture of the northeast with their golden interiors mixed with singular traditions give it one of the world's most soulful atmospheres, and if the country's other major cities weren't so bland (Brasilia, Belo Horizonte, Curitiba, Fortaleza, Manaus, etc.), Brazil would actually rank higher on this list.

9 | SOUTH AFRICA

Cape Town is one of the world's most beautiful cities (let's just say it's number 11 on our top 10 list), and the Kruger National Park is one of the most memorable experiences on the planet for anyone who visits. South Africa offers epic diversity of landscapes, from the Blyde River Canyon to the Drakensberg Mountains. With all of that it's almost easy to forget that it's also a country full of problems with a capital city that is best avoided, but escape to the Cape and grab your camera to photograph all in between and you'll be savoring one of the most awe-inspiring territories on the planet.

10 | GERMANY

Yes, Germany. Perhaps the world's most underrated country, Germany is a place of fairytales and architectural jewels. They're not necessarily found in the largest cities (Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, or Cologne which are more vibrant than beautiful) but Munich has its charms and smaller cities such as Dresden, Leipzig and Potsdam have been preserved or restored to fairytale eye candy. But the real storybook Germany is found all along Bavaria's Romantic Road with its wealth of unbelievable castles, in the Alps' gorgeous lakes and mountains, in the magical land of the Rhine with its vineyards or in the enchanting Black Forest. Begin to tour the country and you'll discover a land of constant surprises, from the university city of Heidelberg, to old Bremen or Bamberg, to the wonderfully preserved medieval towns of Regensburg and Rothenburg.

SOURCE: http://www.ucityguides.com

Baldur
09-14-2013, 11:00 AM
No Norway or Iceland?

Atlantic Islander
09-14-2013, 11:02 AM
No Norway or Iceland?

:shrug:

Every country has its marvels and breathtaking landscapes, but these ten are blessed with a rare package of outstanding natural beauty and man-made wonders that enhance their territories with everything from beautiful cities to timeless villages, magnificent parks and pristine scenery. They are countries that offer a variety of sights and an abundance of inspiration from man and nature.

Drawing-slim
09-14-2013, 11:53 AM
I agree with Italy being number one.

Austo
09-14-2013, 12:20 PM
I dont like this list.
Almost all countries are southern. How about some Siberia

Smaug
09-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Fuck who wrote this shite, São Paulo's much better than Rio fucking de Janeiro.

Rouxinol
09-14-2013, 12:37 PM

Visually Rio de Janeiro has no match on earth.

As for the list I would have included Canada as well.

I agree that the U.S. metropolis are ugly. I used to be fascinated by New York's skyscrapers but now it's just a pile of steel and ugly architecture (I hate Art Deco). On the other hand I like its small cities in fine old colonial style.

Benacer
09-14-2013, 12:39 PM

You mad? :D

Smaug
09-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Visually Rio de Janeiro as no match on earth.

As for the list I would have included Canada as well.

I agree that the U.S. metropolis are ugly. I used to be fascinated by New York's skyscrapers but now it's just a pile of steel and ugly architecture (I hate Art Deco). On the other hand I like its small cities in fine old colonial style.

Rio has a beautiful landscape and nature, but the city itself is so third-world-ish...

I'd also have included Switzerland on the list.

Ouistreham
09-14-2013, 06:28 PM
the natural masterpiece that is Tuscany with its rolling hills, vineyards and snow-peaked mountains.

"Snow-peaked mountains" in Tuscany? OMG.
American dumbness and ignorance never cease to amaze.
How much National Geographic contributors are paid to churn out such horseshit?

How come the English speaking media have become the world's less reliable?

Ivan Kramskoï
09-14-2013, 06:34 PM
No Russia ??
The volcanoes in kamchatka, the endless forest, the churches in wood and many more to add ???

Atlantic Islander
09-14-2013, 06:39 PM
"Snow-peaked mountains" in Tuscany?

All it takes is a quick search... Mount Amiata. (http://www.turismo.intoscana.it/allthingstuscany/aroundtuscany/discover-mount-amiata/)

Ianus
09-14-2013, 06:52 PM
"Snow-peaked mountains" in Tuscany?

There are skii resorts in Tuscany, while most knowed snow peaked montains in Italy are Alps.

Ouistreham
09-14-2013, 06:56 PM
All it takes is a quick search... Mount Amiata. (http://www.turismo.intoscana.it/allthingstuscany/aroundtuscany/discover-mount-amiata/)

And?
Even in Southern Europe, every hill is covered with some snow for a week or two.
The National Geographic fucktards could as well praise the "snow-peaked ridges" of the South Downs or the Chiltern Hills.

There's really a big problem with established English language sources. They're all worthless.

Lusos
09-14-2013, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't agree with list,If Portugal wasn't included.

Roy
09-14-2013, 06:59 PM
These are our local amusements ...

http://pobierak.jeja.pl/images/7/7/8/731_drzewo-w-jezdni.jpg

http://ezamosc.pl/images/stories/O_REGIONIE/zwierzyniec_rzewo_w_drodze.jpg

RussiaPrussia
09-14-2013, 07:03 PM
No Russia ??
The volcanoes in kamchatka, the endless forest, the churches in wood and many more to add ???

dont want to come with russia is the fucking best poses here like i so often do, but youre totally right in russia there is actually nature left because the country is so big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMzOjpG9JGw

List is western bias

Atlantic Islander
09-14-2013, 07:04 PM
And?
Even in Southern Europe, every hill is covered with some snow for a week or two.
The National Geographic fucktards could as well praise the "snow-peaked ridges" of the South Downs or the Chiltern Hills.

There's really a big problem with established English language sources. They're all worthless.

Just because you are not happy that your country is #3 does not mean that the entire article is without value. This is the source's opinion and you don't have to agree, you shouldn't act so childish about it.

HispaniaSagrada
09-14-2013, 07:06 PM
dfgdfdf

Ouistreham
09-14-2013, 07:09 PM
And the text about France just exsudes American cluelessness. It's unbelievable. Look:

"from around the magnificent Loire Valley to verdant Provence":
— There are beautiful palaces along the Loire, but the valley itself is not more "magnificent" (rather less) than Weser's or Vistula's valley.
— "Verdant" is a word that comes to mind about the French scenery... except in Provence and the Mediterranean coast generally speaking.

Then there's the glamorous Riviera and if you want to see the world's greatest palace (Versailles) and museum (the Louvre), here they are.
— The so-called "glamorous" French Riviera is a crowded resort that is to avoid at all cost, they should know.
Do they mean that Versailles is located there???

But France is also a country of world-class living in outdoor cafes
— Outdoor cafés are for foreign tourists only.

in perfectly-preserved towns and in wine-producing regions such as Bordeaux and Champagne.
— The countryside of Champagne (except for Reims cathedral and Troyes' old town) and around Bordeaux are famous in France as being the country's dullest and most desperately boring areas.
No one told the National Geographic's idiots???

HispaniaSagrada
09-14-2013, 07:09 PM
dfgdgd

Atlantic Islander
09-14-2013, 07:12 PM
LOL, it's just an article. Portugal's number six and I'm not complaining.

HispaniaSagrada
09-14-2013, 07:20 PM
dfgddg

Philo
09-14-2013, 07:20 PM
My father was in Veneto and Tuscany recently, I think I can say the ranking agrees with him :)

Ouistreham
09-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Just because you are not happy that your country is #3 does not mean that the entire article is without value. This is the source's opinion and you don't have to agree, you shouldn't act so childish about it.

This is a typical Arabic/Spanish way of arguing.
Please be aware that I very much despise it.

Did I say I wasn't happy with France's ranking?
I really don't give a flying shit about it.

In case of any uncertainty please ask me before making a clown of yourself.
Thanks.

Atlantic Islander
09-14-2013, 07:35 PM

Did I say I wasn't happy with France's ranking?
I really don't give a flying shit about it.

In case of any uncertainty please ask me before making a clown of yourself.
Thanks.

Haha, how incredibly childish. I'm cool as a cucumber.

Dombra
09-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Come on, who wrote this?! Only southern Europe!? I would have added some countries, Iceland or Norway for example and definately replaced number 1,2 and 3. Even some Asian countries deserve to be on the list

tEhSaint
09-14-2013, 07:50 PM
The list makes sense.

justme
09-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Bullshit list!

Empecinado
09-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Obviously this is something subjetive.

Permafrost
09-14-2013, 08:05 PM
>Opens the thread.
>Presses ctrl+F on keyboard
>Types 'Slovenia'
>0 of 0 results
> :(

Ouistreham
09-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Come on, who wrote this?! Only southern Europe!? I would have added some countries, Iceland or Norway for example and definately replaced number 1,2 and 3. Even some Asian countries deserve to be on the list

Had the Norwegians been less stupid a little more than 100 years ago, the Swedish-Norwegian Union would certainly stand up as the world's most beautiful country, adding to Norway's stunningly beautiful landscapes one the finest towns on earth, Stockholm. And some of the most interesting Middle Age cathedrals like Nidaros/Trondheim and Lunds Domkyrkan.

Atlantic Islander
09-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Bootlicking 101.

HispaniaSagrada
09-14-2013, 08:40 PM
dfdg

Rouxinol
09-14-2013, 08:46 PM
I see some people went mad because the guys at NG didn't make any remark on the timber-framed houses of France. Well, most people don't go to France to worship timber-framed houses in Alsace-Lorraine (where they are concentrated the most) nor to eat choucroute garnie. They go there because of Loire's castles, wine, cafés, Paris and the oh-so-lazy beaches of the Mediterranean coast. By the way, Van Gogh painted the "verdant" Provence:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/Van_Gogh_-_Bl%C3%BChender_Obstgarten_mit_Blick_auf_Arles.jpe g/749px-Van_Gogh_-_Bl%C3%BChender_Obstgarten_mit_Blick_auf_Arles.jpe g

Damião de Góis
09-15-2013, 09:06 AM

I'm a fan of the franco-eye tie way of arguing.

rhiannon
09-15-2013, 10:01 AM
No Norway or Iceland?

Exactly what I thought :) Add Scotland to the list as well.

Wolf
09-15-2013, 10:21 PM
10 | GERMANY

Yes, Germany. Perhaps the world's most underrated country, Germany is a place of fairytales and architectural jewels.

Of course it's underrated, thanks to Allied bombs and modernist architects our cities look horrible. Furthermore, approx. half of the actually German World Heritage Sites aren't located in today's Germany any more but in its neighbouring countries.

Kiyant
09-15-2013, 10:24 PM
I dont think that the US is more beautiful then many other countries in the world................

Graham
09-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Med-centric.

rhiannon
09-16-2013, 02:20 AM
Med-centric.I totally don't get it, either.

As for the US....we deserve to be on that list. I am not being an Americunt, either ;)

This country has a diversity in its landscape rarely found in any other country. We have the hottest place on Earth (Death Valley, CA) and yet we also have the snowiest place on Earth (Paradise, WA). Then there is, of course, Alaska. Alaska is similar to Norway in many respects (mountains come right up to the sea....fjords).

I still cannot believe Norway, Iceland, and Scotland were left out. They belong on that list more than most of the other countries mentioned.

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 02:40 AM
I still cannot believe Norway, Iceland, and Scotland were left out. They belong on that list more than most of the other countries mentioned.

I think at least half are well deserving of their spots.

Armand_Duval
09-16-2013, 02:45 AM
USA get back the Stolen Mexico!!!

Take the USA out of that list, they dont deserve it.

Armand_Duval
09-16-2013, 02:47 AM
I also disagree with Southafrica and Germany being in that list, Mexico can wipe its ass with South Afica for sure...

Cristiano viejo
09-16-2013, 02:50 AM
South Africa in that list sound as a joke, yes.

Armand_Duval
09-16-2013, 02:58 AM
South Africa in that list sound as a joke, yes.

This list is a fraud, take the USA and southafrica out of that list, having nuclear weapons doesnt count, half of the USA is an stolen country so take it out.

Take a look at this.
http://shareranks.com/3351,Countries-with-the-Largest-Number-of-UNESCO-World-Heritage-Sites

Mexico is 6th in the world with more UNESCO world heritage Sites, ...where is south africa.....,where???!

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 03:03 AM
Med-centric.

Only 4 out of 10 with a Mediterranean (http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/Mediterranean-Countries.htm)coast.

Armand_Duval
09-16-2013, 03:14 AM
I totaly agree with Spain, Italy and France in the list, actually those three are my favorite places in the world, the rest of the list is totaly arguable.

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 03:16 AM
I totaly agree with Spain, Italy and France in the list, actually those three are my favorite places in the world, the rest of the list is totaly arguable.

Portugal deserves it's spot. (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?93707-Azores-Elected-Best-Quality-Coast-Destination-in-Europe) Like they said, the Azores alone could carry it, but it also has other beautiful areas.

Armand_Duval
09-16-2013, 03:20 AM
Portugal deserves it's spot. (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?93707-Azores-Elected-Best-Quality-Coast-Destination-in-Europe) Like they said, the Azores alone could carry it, but it also has other beautiful areas.

Portugal is very beautiful the problem that I see with it, is that Portugal is very small i dont think it can compete with other bigger countries.

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 03:23 AM
Portugal is very beautiful the problem that I see with it, is that Portugal is very small i dont think it can compete with other bigger countries.

Eh, overall quality is most important.

Rouxinol
09-16-2013, 03:26 AM
Eh, overall quality is most important.

The diversity in such a small area (including the islands).

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 03:27 AM
The diversity in such a small area (including the islands).

Exactly. (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?93698-Protecting-and-conserving-the-North-East-Atlantic-and-it-s-resources) It's actually a bit more impressive when so much diversity is packed into one small country.

Gorštak
09-16-2013, 03:28 AM
No Kosovo, no care.

Philo
09-16-2013, 03:28 AM
I think Israel and Canada should be on the list.
Well I'm not sure, but obviously when you only have 10 places people are going to argue, some in less civilized ways of course :D

Cristiano viejo
09-16-2013, 03:32 AM
Israel hahahahahahahahaha what Jew :rotfl:

Philo
09-16-2013, 03:32 AM
Israel hahahahahahahahaha what Jew :rotfl:

"obviously south africa sounds as a joke"
Do you know anything about South Africa, internet conquistador?

Smeagol
09-16-2013, 03:34 AM
Why is Spain on the list?

Cristiano viejo
09-16-2013, 03:34 AM

Envy, Jew?

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 03:35 AM
:picard2:

Smeagol
09-16-2013, 03:36 AM
Envy, Jew?

Of Spain? Lol!

Cristiano viejo
09-16-2013, 03:37 AM
It´s hilarious that Philo ask for Israel

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/majeczka/majeczka1207/majeczka120700010/14330486-dromedario-en-un-desierto-de-judea.jpg

:laugh2:

Stanley
09-16-2013, 03:38 AM
Why so much outrage over random individual opinions? Jesus.

Philo
09-16-2013, 03:52 AM
Why so much outrage over random individual opinions? Jesus.

Good question.
Anyhow why would anybody go to Spain when all the locals do is:
http://m.ruvr.ru/2013/03/10/1342104744/000_DV1434326.jpg

Lábaru
09-16-2013, 07:08 AM
Spain, I want to see something similar in Israel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPMYFyiiuUw

Libertas
09-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Spain should be ahead of Italy as it has better architecture.

Libertas
09-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Good question.
Anyhow why would anybody go to Spain when all the locals do is:
http://m.ruvr.ru/2013/03/10/1342104744/000_DV1434326.jpg

It's called legitimate protest...duh.

rhiannon
09-16-2013, 07:43 AM
1 | ITALY
Okay I suppose....but definitely not more beautiful than my aforementioned countries.

2 | SPAIN
France is prettier IMO, so I would not have put Spain on the list

3 | FRANCE
Perhaps. Still, there are other countries more beautiful IMO.....but I'd choose France over Spain. It has prettier Woodlands :)

4 | AUSTRALIA
While I am not one to appreciate the landscape in Australia too much because it is so dry, it belongs on the list if anything, due to its uniqueness. However, a better choice representative of the beauty found Down Under would be New Zealand, IMO.

5 | GREECEGreece is my personal favorite Mediterranean nation :) They can stay on the list lol

PORTUGAL
I don't know enough about Portugal to say one way or another, but I will say it certainly seems that with France and Spain already on the list, having Portugal in addition is a bit redundant.

7| USA
Agree. We have a very diverse landscape, but I already covered this in my other post.

8 | BRAZIL
Maybe. At least it's not on the Mediterranean lol.

9 | SOUTH AFRICA
Whoever made this list certainly hates the cold lol. Every single country listed is sunny all the time. I guess I'd want Kaz's opinion on whether or not SA belongs on this list. I have no idea, really

10 | GERMANY
Yes, Germany.
As if the fact Germany on the list should be somehow surprising? This is one of their nominations I can actually agree on lol.

My apologies to the Med members of TA, for I don't mean to sound in any way hateful, but I just don't see the Mediterranean sunny climate as being all it's cracked up to be. The beauty of the North is breathtaking in a way no Med climate can ever be. Again, my opinion :)

Norway, Iceland, Scotland, Ireland, and England or Wales all belong on that list IMO. Same for Russia and Finland.

Lábaru
09-16-2013, 07:54 AM
but I will say it certainly seems that with France and Spain already on the list, having Portugal in addition is a bit redundant.

I think that's a "must" that the three countries are on the list especially if we talk about Europe. Iberia and southern France are the cradle of the ancient Western European, shelters glaciers, only visit of our caves is an unique anthropological experience for an European.
http://misviajesporahi.es/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/5-Museo-de-Altamira-Bisonte-en-el-Techo-de-los-Pol%C3%ADcromos-Foto-Museo-de-Altamira-y-P-Saura.jpg

Greece, Italy, Spain and France are simply unavoidable on such list, in a European context.

Wolf
09-16-2013, 08:05 AM
I also disagree with Southafrica and Germany being in that list, Mexico can wipe its ass with South Afica for sure...

Not only Germany belongs to the list, but it also deserves a better rating. Germany is underrated due to the facts I've already mentioned but still worth visiting.

Spain should be ahead of Italy as it has better architecture.

:picard1:

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 08:06 AM
I don't know enough about Portugal to say one way or another, but I will say it certainly seems that with France and Spain already on the list, having Portugal in addition is a bit redundant.

I don't see how, Portugal is Atlantic - it doesn't have a Mediterranean coast. Plus the Azores beat out 1,000 places 4 years in a row as best quality coast destination, with all aspects of the area taken into account.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?93698-Protecting-and-conserving-the-North-East-Atlantic-and-it-s-resources
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?93707-Azores-Elected-Best-Quality-Coast-Destination-in-Europe

Formozgan
09-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Western washed shit.

Wolf
09-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Western washed shit.

You're right, Asian countries are missing.

rhiannon
09-16-2013, 08:21 AM
You're right, Asian countries are missing.

Japan definitely belongs on the list.

rhiannon
09-16-2013, 08:22 AM
I don't see how, Portugal is Atlantic - it doesn't have a Mediterranean coast. Plus the Azores beat out 1,000 places 4 years in a row as best quality coast destination, with all aspects of the area taken into account.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?93698-Protecting-and-conserving-the-North-East-Atlantic-and-it-s-resources
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?93707-Azores-Elected-Best-Quality-Coast-Destination-in-Europe
Portugal instead of Spain, then. But to have all three together? Nah.

Wolf
09-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Japan definitely belongs on the list.

Not only Japan. ;)

rhiannon
09-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Not only Japan. ;)
Which others would you put on the list? I think Japan is one of Asia's best candidates....although I would also put Siberia, which is part of Asia :)

rhiannon
09-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I think that's a "must" that the three countries are on the list especially if we talk about Europe. Iberia and southern France are the cradle of the ancient Western European, shelters glaciers, only visit of our caves is an unique anthropological experience for an European.
http://misviajesporahi.es/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/5-Museo-de-Altamira-Bisonte-en-el-Techo-de-los-Pol%C3%ADcromos-Foto-Museo-de-Altamira-y-P-Saura.jpgOkay you sold me :) Forgot about the damn cave paintings lol. However I stand firmly by my Northern nominees!

SKYNET
09-16-2013, 08:44 AM
no slavic countries? Sounds so weird lol

SKYNET
09-16-2013, 08:46 AM
on the list I would put Norway, Canada, Scotland, New Zealand and Switzerland

Wolf
09-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Which others would you put on the list?

China, India, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Turkey and Iran.

I think Japan is one of Asia's best candidates.

It's obviously worth seeing.

Lábaru
09-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Okay you sold me :) Forgot about the damn cave paintings lol. However I stand firmly by my Northern nominees!

Spain(and Portugal) are not a Mediterrean lands, this does not mean that we are northern, we are somewhat peculiar, and another thing, you think my land is classical Mediterranean? is not beautiful? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AytBLRPvPXQ

rhiannon
09-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Spain(and Portugal) are not a Mediterrean lands, this does not mean that we are northern, we are somewhat peculiar, and another thing, you think my land is classical Mediterranean? is not beautiful? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AytBLRPvPXQNo no no no....not what I meant to imply at all. This is why I apologized to TA's med members....and while Spain is not classically Mediterranean in the same fashion as Italy or Greece, it certainly borders the Mediterranean sea and therefore counts for all intents and purposes as Mediterranean.

You must understand, I have a very strong Northern bias. I have always been this way :)

While other parts of Europe or the world can be beautiful in their own way (Spain is beautiful), none of them approach the sort of spectacular beauty found in Northern lands. I do not look at anything other than topography and landscape when making this statement, btw :)

Lábaru
09-16-2013, 09:41 AM
No no no no....not what I meant to imply at all. This is why I apologized to TA's med members....and while Spain is not classically Mediterranean in the same fashion as Italy or Greece, it certainly borders the Mediterranean sea and therefore counts for all intents and purposes as Mediterranean.

You must understand, I have a very strong Northern bias. I have always been this way :)

Hahahaha is ok, Mediterranean really does not mean much, but we claim our special identity, I mean,we run with bulls behind us for fun!! xD

Empecinado
09-16-2013, 09:44 AM
When people think of Spain only imagine the typical Mediterranean coastal landscape, but actually Spain has a high diversity of landscapes and climates, also a great wildlife and many km2 of forest area with animals extincted in most of Europe.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?93690-Iberia-the-European-zone-with-highest-biodiversity&p=1905679#post1905679

Graham
09-16-2013, 11:04 AM

It's an Iberian thing mainly, that Portugal gets sucked into. Azores is a special case, being cut right off.

Portugal has some of the nicest beaches, & best architecture. So I understand why it's on the list. Italy, also with Tuscany, the Alps, Rome. Greece has those lovely village Islands & cliffs.

We also have some of the best beaches. But I guess, too cold for them to consider beautiful. Like Luskentyre beach, is hard to beat from an observational view.

Graham
09-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Some have mentioned us. I don't think we should be top 10. Maybe if there was a list of small areas. I think they should have it done by country sizes. Like it would be hard to compare Switzerland to Russia or Canada.

Austo
09-16-2013, 04:20 PM
My apologies to the Med members of TA, for I don't mean to sound in any way hateful, but I just don't see the Mediterranean sunny climate as being all it's cracked up to be. The beauty of the North is breathtaking in a way no Med climate can ever be. Again, my opinion :)

Norway, Iceland, Scotland, Ireland, and England or Wales all belong on that list IMO. Same for Russia and Finland.

There is no sense in putting more than 1 med country in the list. The landscape is the same.

Vasconcelos
09-16-2013, 04:26 PM
There is no sense in putting more than 1 med country in the list. The landscape is the same.

No, it isn't lol

Austo
09-16-2013, 04:34 PM
No, it isn't lol

Wheres the big difference?

B01AB20
09-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Wheres the big difference?

for example spain has a couple of mini-deserts, like the sahara but here

(real color)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RcUo-mmWLKk/T_sBNX5vZmI/AAAAAAAARQ8/sKSnXFtL7SE/s640/IMG_0623.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PDnQyDwqlXY/T_sBY92MgNI/AAAAAAAARRM/ZvHQBLYM4O8/s640/IMG_0637.jpg

like arizona's desert... but here in almeria :D
http://empresarios.ruralia.com/uploads/Imagen/grande/desierto_de_tabernas-7350.jpg

and canary islands have moving dunes.
http://www.escapadarural.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/general-680x375.jpg

where are the french or italian deserts?, for example.

Balmung
09-16-2013, 05:01 PM
All countries have beautiful places. List is totally ridiculous though. Yes Italy has beautiful architecture. But there are countries in the world with much more biodiversity than it. Spain for example should be above Italy when it comes to scenic beauty. This list also didn't include a lot of Asian countries. You have a list about scenic beauty but no Asian countries? and Portugal ahead of Brazil & America? The person who made this list is on crack. Atleast they seem to have gotten Australia right.

Graham
09-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Spain counting the Canaries would be cheating. lol. They're far apart. Fuerteventura has the nice sand-dunes. Gran Canaria & Lanzarote are big lumpy volcanic rocks. Have been to three of them.

Cristiano viejo
09-16-2013, 06:34 PM
France is prettier IMO, so I would not have put Spain on the list.

:picard1:

Spain is, after Italy, the country with the largest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Spain is, after France, the country with the largest number of tourists to the year of the world.

In Spain we have a variety of landscapes hardly surmountable. If you like beaches and sun, you have it. If you like mountains and snow, you have it. If you like green valleys with beautiful rivers, you have it.
Particularly noteworthy is the north of Spain (Asturias, Cantabria): you have the sunny beach and the snow mountains, in less than 10 kms.

On the other hand, is a shame that on that list are not two of the countries most beautiful in the world, Argentina and Switzerland.

Graham
09-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Have been through the Pyrenees & flown over. It's a part of Spain, that isn't recognised so much. It's like the Alps & Central Europe.

Graham
09-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Look at the size of Western Europe compared to the US. You can see how diverse our land is..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PGvSoaafXiI/TA7ZzQO4HDI/AAAAAAAAIPs/YVUQqysTlfY/s1600/map-compare-size-econ.jpg

B01AB20
09-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Spain counting the Canaries would be cheating. lol. They're far apart. Fuerteventura has the nice sand-dunes. Gran Canaria & Lanzarote are big lumpy volcanic rocks. Have been to three of them.

yeah I had doubts on putting that picture of canary Islands as they're in africa and very far from here, but then I remembered someone mentioned alaska being part of the USA landscape...

WOOHP
09-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Probably just a random person who made this list.

Let the people of the world speak for themselves:

The most visited country in the world with a big lead is France. Despite all the unpleasent stereotypes about French people and France in general.

http://www.anfashotelequipment.com/images/haber/rankng.jpg

B01AB20
09-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Let the tourist/travel agencies/operators of the world speak for themselves:

better.

WOOHP
09-16-2013, 07:37 PM
better.

I've met very few Americans who have returned from Paris/France disappointed.

Balmung
09-16-2013, 07:39 PM

Don't be hatin' Britain, land of ze rain :P

(Don't you dare say shit about Washington) lol

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 07:40 PM
I can't believe how popular this thread is.

EDMONDI
09-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Greece

B01AB20
09-16-2013, 07:52 PM
I've met very few Americans who have returned from Paris/France disappointed.

lol to the suspicious woohp...

I meant that tourism is big bunisses in spain, france or italy, and big investments are made around to promote it, hence the large amount of visitors.

I've been in Paris a couple of times and didn't return dissapointed either, how could I? :)

Dandelion
09-16-2013, 07:55 PM
USA are big and diverse. No wonder they're on the list. ;)

WOOHP
09-16-2013, 08:01 PM
lol to the suspicious woohp...

I meant that tourism is big bunisses in spain, france or italy, and big investments are made around to promote it, hence the large amount of visitors.

I've been in Paris a couple of times and didn't return dissapointed either, how could I? :)

Nothing suspicious here. Unless you're a paranoid Iberian.

Tourism in France is very different in comparision with that of Spain. Spain is more of a party/sunny destination for northerners who want to spend some time relaxing.
France is much more than just that.

Lábaru
09-16-2013, 08:08 PM

Tourism in France is very different in comparision with that of Spain. Spain is more of a party/sunny destination for northerners who want to spend some time relaxing.

coffe terraces and mimes.
http://imagenes.viajeros.com/fotos/z/zm/zmexdbud-1322445799-bg.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XzpqenkvTTA/UUUFVRrs8NI/AAAAAAAAAZs/JeVp6lUucLE/s1600/mimo.jpg

Graham
09-16-2013, 08:12 PM
France is where all the children want to go, because of Disneyland Paris. Portaventura, Salou is the better theme Park.

Rouxinol
09-16-2013, 08:12 PM
All comes down to a northern/southern argument paranoia.

Vasconcelos
09-16-2013, 08:16 PM

And Spain isn't? Just because ignorant shitlords don't know the country, it doesn't mean there's just beaches to visit

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 08:16 PM
We also have some of the best beaches. But I guess, too cold for them to consider beautiful. Like Luskentyre beach, is hard to beat from an observational view.

Definitely beautiful, at least from the photos I've seen.

Funnily enough beaches aren't the main attraction in the Azores either, the climate is too erratic and most of the beaches are volcanic black sand beaches.

Empecinado
09-16-2013, 08:24 PM

Spain is much more than a party/sunny destination, has a great architectural heritage, variety of landscapes and wildlife.

In fact, nature tourism is becoming increasingly common. In UK there are companies which organize tours to see wolves in Sierra de la Culebra (http://www.wildwolfexperience.com/wolf_watching.html), bears in Somiedo (http://www.iberianwildlife.com/asturias/brown-bears-somiedo.htm), and birds in Cadiz (http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/trip-reports.html).

Ouistreham
09-16-2013, 08:25 PM
I don't think we should be top 10. Maybe if there was a list of small areas. I think they should have it done by country sizes.

This is the key factor.
The larger a country, the more likely it will host many natural wonders. Comparing Canada, China, Argentina, Brazil, South-Africa, the U.S. of A., Australia etc. to tiny European countries is pointless. The density factor should be considered.

From that point of view, Italy's ranking is justified, and UK (as long as Scotland it part of it :)) would logically enter top tier, possibly higher than France.

Another criteria is what I would call "conspicuousness" of natural wonders. It's not the same if they're easily accessible or relegated in some remote corner.

Here, Spain deserves a special mention: if you go by rail or road from the North to Madrid and Andalusia, you have to pass trough some of Europe's most dramatic sceneries, two breathtaking canyons that are the necessary gateways to the core of the country:

— In the North, the gorge of Pancorbo:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/N1_Pancorbo_desde_AP1.jpg

— In the South, the no less impressive Despenaperros canyon:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-X5KOTN4oV28/TkauUK-aXII/AAAAAAAAF9o/VhC5v-8xWwQ/s1600/P5157205.JPG

WOOHP
09-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Spain is much more than a party/sunny destination, has a great architectural heritage, variety of landscapes and wildlife.

In fact, nature tourism is becoming increasingly common. In UK there are companies which organize tours to see wolves in Sierra de la Culebra (http://www.wildwolfexperience.com/wolf_watching.html), bears in Somiedo (http://www.iberianwildlife.com/asturias/brown-bears-somiedo.htm), and birds in Cadiz (http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/trip-reports.html).

No one's said that there arn't great landscapes in Spain. But that's definitely not the main reason to why you're one of the most visited countries in world.

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 08:35 PM
People seem to underestimate small places.

Don Arb
09-16-2013, 08:36 PM
I agree that Mediterranean countries are the best, the beaches, the weather, the food and everything else make people to enjoy much more the life and work less :)
Anyway my favourite country is still Austria (Vienna) its unique in the world.

B01AB20
09-16-2013, 09:32 PM
No one's said that there arn't great landscapes in Spain. But that's definitely not the main reason to why you're one of the most visited countries in world.

most people come to spain searching spiritual enlightenment and transcendental or religious experiences, often in remote monasteries under isolation and harsh life conditions , like real monks in middle ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNXC2FxwuiA

Graham
09-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Definitely beautiful, at least from the photos I've seen.

Funnily enough beaches aren't the main attraction in the Azores either, the climate is too erratic and most of the beaches are volcanic black sand beaches.

Aye, went there, & took these photos. That's when I took a stroll up a hill lol You have got to love the lovely Island breeze though. :cool:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7073/7385224488_11dc2e87bf_k.jpghttp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7233/7385225908_7723950546_h.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8166/7385228868_f4e2ace764_h.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8012/7386810598_c18ea9cfe2_h.jpghttp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7239/7385225292_dfc284dc93_b.jpg

Vukodav
09-16-2013, 10:30 PM
why Russia isn't on the list?

Ouistreham
09-16-2013, 10:38 PM
The most visited country in the world with a big lead is France. Despite all the unpleasent stereotypes about French people and France in general.

http://www.anfashotelequipment.com/images/haber/rankng.jpg

Well, those figures notoriously include high numbers, possibly millions, of British (or German) motorists who stay a night or two in a French hotel on their way to Italy (or Spain) where they are going to spend two weeks or three.

I think that in terms of revenue generated by foreign tourism, France ranks scarcely higher than UK.

I'm a fan of the franco-eye tie way of arguing.
OMG. The moronic Dago now wants me to be an Italian!
Hey, douchebag, did I ever say I'm from Italy? that I have a single drop of Italian blood?
I didn't, cause I'm not.
Not that it would put me to shame. But it is simply not true.
I hate that Arabic arguing style, always ascribing to other people assumptions they never did and features they never claimed to have. Typical Oriental way of behaving. The wrong side of the frigging Mediterranean mindset.
But now, I'm entitled to see you as another despicable subhuman.
A Lusitanian one, as a matter of fact.

Atlantic Islander
09-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Cry more. :rolleyes:

rhiannon
09-17-2013, 12:41 AM

I'd go to France not for the culture, but to check out the cave paintings :) Paris does not interest me in the least. The Woodlands of France are quite beautiful, though.

Oh, and some of their cuisine (and no, I am not talking about escargot or Fois Gras, both of which creep me out).

Ouistreham
09-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Spain(and Portugal) are not a Mediterrean lands
http://www.ibujumbura.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mort-de-rire-il-fallait-voir-les-tetes-le-lendemain-car-certains-jouaient_612x459__ksc83l.gif

Damião de Góis
09-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Countdown to Ouistrehani to start comparing Porto to greek villages, along with windmills and rooftops....

B01AB20
09-17-2013, 10:30 PM
http://www.ibujumbura.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mort-de-rire-il-fallait-voir-les-tetes-le-lendemain-car-certains-jouaient_612x459__ksc83l.gif

I consider myself 'mediterranean' whatever it could mean, I 'nací en el mediterraneo' man :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8oxi_md84Y

and well, when I go west forward in spain 'the mediterranean' (whatever it could mean) rapidly dissapears. In Zaragoza is hard to intuit it, not in the people not in the air... :).

In Navarre, basque country, asturias... (and cantabria of course) galicia... the mediterranean is missing absolutely, they're kind of different country :p, but this's my persoanl view I guess.

Damião de Góis
09-18-2013, 07:12 PM
In Navarre, basque country, asturias... (and cantabria of course) galicia... the mediterranean is missing absolutely, they're kind of different country :p, but this's my persoanl view I guess.

It's missing because the center of the mediterranean world is in Porto.

B01AB20
09-18-2013, 07:39 PM
It's missing because the center of the mediterranean world is in Porto.

this deserves to be mediterranean, whatever it means.
must be the better wine of 'the atlantic facade' ;) for sure.

http://blog-imgs-14.fc2.com/c/i/j/cija/IMG_8366s.jpg

Wolf
09-18-2013, 07:44 PM
A little more seriousness wouldn't harm the thread.

WOOHP
09-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Hey, douchebag, did I ever say I'm from Italy? that I have a single drop of Italian blood?
I didn't, cause I'm not.
I hate that Arabic arguing style, always ascribing to other people assumptions they never did and features they never claimed to have. Typical Oriental way of behaving. The wrong side of the frigging Mediterranean mindset.

They think you're Italian just because you refused to agree with them about the Portuguese being lighter than North Italians.
Sick, I know.

Manifest Destiny
09-18-2013, 07:50 PM
No Norway or Iceland?

This.

I'm not even Norwegian and Norway is near the top of my list of places to visit, just because of how beautiful it seems to be.

And retarded list is retarded. They shit-talk America's big cities but praise a crime-ridden shit hole like Rio de Janeiro?

WOOHP
09-18-2013, 07:51 PM

They are Atlantic. What? You've never heard of the Portuguese and their Atlantic culture? Strange...

Northern Spain is not Mediterranean, but when you cross the Pyrenees you enter an exotic Mediterranean world.

Atlantic Portugal is like Britain in comparision with the hot-blood Meds of southern France.

Damião de Góis
09-18-2013, 07:59 PM
I didn't, cause I'm not.

"Moronic Dago", "Despicable subhuman"...

You are trash... eye tie, french, or wathever you are. And for the record, i also see you as a despicable subhuman.

Vasconcelos
09-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Back in the day such language would earn you a ban, but these days everything is allowed.

Damião de Góis
09-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Back in the day such language would earn you a ban, but these days everything is allowed.

I think he forgot to take his pills. Or it must be french temperament... i wouldn't know.

Gaijin
09-18-2013, 08:09 PM
They are Atlantic. What? You've never heard of the Portuguese and their Atlantic culture? Strange...

Northern Spain is not Mediterranean, but when you cross the Pyrenees you enter an exotic Mediterranean world.

Atlantic Portugal is like Britain in comparision with the hot-blood Meds of southern France.

Perhaps not being ignorant towards ones culture, would get you somewhere.
The Mediterranean world,culture and people are an unknown thing to me. No need to enforce it in others.

I normally wouldn't compare to Britain. But since you insist...

English Folk Dance (Morris dance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXMZJyvhkc

Portuguese Folk dance (Pauliteiros dance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhBM_mAfhs

I highly doubt you'll see this dance, outside of the Atlantic arch.

Rouxinol
09-18-2013, 08:14 PM

Portuguese culture is a breed of the Atlantic and Mediterranean spheres of influence, being the Mediterranean cultural component mostly confined to the south of the Tagus river, but even there touched by the Atlantic culture of the northwesterners who moved downwards to populate those lands when the country gained its form. There are academic works on it (http://purl.pt/421/3/hg-27320-p_PDF/hg-27320-p_PDF_24-C-R0075/hg-27320-p_0000_capa1-guardas8_t24-C-R0075.pdf). And one doesn't need to be super intelligent or an intellectual on history to acknowledge it. The Atlantic Ocean has been a constant in Portuguese culture: the simple fact that the country is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean and that it was that peculiar fact that paved the way for the Portuguese (as well as the Spanish, the French, the Dutch and the British) to expand themselves overseas should be enough to attest it. Contrary to, say, Mediterranean France (Côte d'Azur), in fact, the Portuguese are way less Mediterranean overall. They do even speak less louder for the most part.

Cristiano viejo
09-18-2013, 08:53 PM
A Frenchie talking about Arabic things it´s very funny :lightbul:

Rouxinol
09-18-2013, 09:01 PM
As an extra: one can compare a famous dish from Provence, the ratatouille, with a very typical dish from Portugal, cozido à portuguesa.

Ratatouille:

Le mot « ratatouille » vient de l'occitan ratatolha. Il est également utilisé dans les autres langues. La ratatouille se dit aussi Valentine dans le sud de la France et piperade dans le pays basque. Avec de l’ail, des olives et des oignons, c'est la « bohémienne languedocienne ». (Wikipedia)

Garlic, onions, olive oil and tomatoes (oh, and bread at the table, of course)! Is there any combination of ingredients more Mediterranean than that?

http://1.media.atelierdeschefs.com/dossiers-d1229-recettes-de-ratatouille.jpg

Cozido à Portuguesa: an hearty ensemble of stewed pork and beef meat, cabbage and different sorts of puddings.

https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/296279_502194639847501_42719419_n.jpg

It's obvious where the Mediterranean lies the most.

WOOHP
09-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Portuguese culture is a breed of the Atlantic and Mediterranean spheres of influence, being the Mediterranean cultural component mostly confined to the south of the Tagus river, but even there touched by the Atlantic culture of the northwesterners who moved downwards to populate those lands when the country gained its form. There are academic works on it (http://purl.pt/421/3/hg-27320-p_PDF/hg-27320-p_PDF_24-C-R0075/hg-27320-p_0000_capa1-guardas8_t24-C-R0075.pdf). And one doesn't need to be super intelligent or an intellectual on history to acknowledge it. The Atlantic Ocean has been a constant in Portuguese culture: the simple fact that the country is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean and that it was that peculiar fact that paved the way for the Portuguese (as well as the Spanish, the French, the Dutch and the British) to expand themselves overseas should be enough to attest it. Contrary to, say, Mediterranean France (Côte d'Azur), in fact, the Portuguese are way less Mediterranean overall. They do even speak less louder for the most part.
There is no such thing as a cultural tie between Iberia and Britain, at least not any greater than two optional countries of Europe. No one has ever heard of this imaginary Atlantic culture because it's not strong nor is it significant in any region of Europe. I'm ofc talking about view of life, family, popular culture, mindset and so on. The Portuguese barely differ from other Meds regarding those cases.

The term "Atlantic facade" becomes even more useless when we look at it from a genetic or phenotypicall perspective.

Damião de Góis
09-18-2013, 09:34 PM
It seems that we are reduced to two things: either we are mediterranean or we are british.

Are we allowed to have our own culture? Because we do, and it's centuries old.

Vasconcelos
09-18-2013, 09:40 PM
It seems that we are reduced to two things: either we are mediterranean or we are british.

Some people tend to put a label everything so it makes it easier for their little brains to process.

Wolf
09-18-2013, 09:43 PM

I don't see any contradiction in having an own culture and also being part of a larger culture group.

Ouistreham
09-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Some individuals claim that the Portuguese are chiefly related to the Celtic fringe of Britain (which is just worth a good laugh), some other insist hysterically that they have nothing Mediterranean.

As a Frenchman, I have no problem admitting that France is as a whole a little more Southern than Northern European, and that a good quarter of my country is part of the Mediterranean world.

Why are you so reluctant to admit where you belong? Is it some kinda self-hate?

Honestly, I can't understand that. It's a very unhealthy mindset.

Are we allowed to have our own culture?
Of course you're entitled to.
But denying that Portugal resembles Greece and Southern Italy more than any other European country is just childish.
Same culture, same people, same popular traditions, same vernacular achitecture, same climate, same diet etc., what else?
(And I would add "same economic situation" if you start me)

Rouxinol
09-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Same culture, same people, same popular traditions, same vernacular achitecture, same climate, same diet etc., what else?

Excuse me, but all those "same something" are completely wrong.

Ouistreham
09-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Portuguese culture is a breed of the Atlantic and Mediterranean spheres of influence, being the Mediterranean cultural component mostly confined to the south of the Tagus river, but even there touched by the Atlantic culture

"Mediterranean culture" means actually Roman influence (with Greek and minor Phenician, Carthaginian etc. components).
Now, do me a favour and tell me what does "Atlantic culture" mean.

Damião de Góis
09-18-2013, 10:04 PM
First of all, do you think we can discuss without insults? I would appreciate that.

Some individuals claim that the Portuguese are chiefly related to the Celtic fringe of Britain (which is just worth a good laugh), some other insist hysterically that they have nothing Mediterranean.

Which individuals? The various ancient peoples of Britain have nothing to do with us. As for having nothing mediterranean that's not true, especially not in southern Portugal.

As a Frenchman, I have no problem admitting that France is as a whole a little more Southern than Northern European, and that a good quarter of my country is part of the Mediterranean world.

Why are you so reluctant to admit where you belong? Is it some kinda self-hate?

Honestly, I can't understand that.

Portugal is southern europe, i never claimed it was northern. But i don't feel afinity with a far away sea. Also, liking our atlantic coast shouldn't automatically link us to another far away people (brits).

I also don't think Porto resembles a greek village. I don't know if you were serious about that.

Of course you're entitled to.
But denying that Portugal resembles Greece and Southern Italy more than any other European country is just childish.
Same culture, same people, same popular traditions, same diet etc., what else?

Excluding Spain?

Atlantic Islander
09-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Also, liking our atlantic coast shouldn't automatically link us to another far away people (brits).

This.

Ouistreham
09-18-2013, 10:14 PM
As an extra: one can compare a famous dish from Provence, the ratatouille, with a very typical dish from Portugal, cozido à portuguesa.

Ratatouille:

Le mot « ratatouille » vient de l'occitan ratatolha. Il est également utilisé dans les autres langues. La ratatouille se dit aussi Valentine dans le sud de la France et piperade dans le pays basque. Avec de l’ail, des olives et des oignons, c'est la « bohémienne languedocienne ». (Wikipedia)

Garlic, onions, olive oil and tomatoes (oh, and bread at the table, of course)! Is there any combination of ingredients more Mediterranean than that?

http://1.media.atelierdeschefs.com/dossiers-d1229-recettes-de-ratatouille.jpg

Cozido à Portuguesa: an hearty ensemble of stewed pork and beef meat, cabbage and different sorts of puddings.

https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/296279_502194639847501_42719419_n.jpg

It's obvious where the Mediterranean lies the most.

This is really pathetic.

So, the Basque country is part of the Mediterranean culture (honestly, it is chiefly), but not Iberia?
(I often saw Iberians saying that the Basques are the tallest, the fairest, the most Northern they have in store...)

Oh, and speaking about popular diet, should I mention that in Southern Italy like in Portugal, salted cod is a favourite source of proteins?

One of the most popular Calabrian recipes is "baccalà con patate" (any need to translate?):
http://www.monocultivaroliveoil.com/Data/Sites/1/baccala%20con%20patate.jpg

Rouxinol
09-18-2013, 10:20 PM
"Mediterranean culture" means actually Roman influence (with Greek and minor Phenician, Carthaginian etc. components).
Now, do me a favour and tell me what does "Atlantic culture" mean.

It means that the climate, the flora, the vernacular architecture, the diet, the popular traditions and whatnot have little to none of Mediterranean, neither geographically, nor culturally. It has its specific culture which is not comparable to those of the lands bordering the Mediterranean.

I really don't see the resemblance between, say, Guimarães (Portugal) and Athens (Greece) or Palermo (Sicily):

Guimarães, Portugal:

http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/4A/4E9CBC6C7789709E982CADFDB2A7F5.jpg

http://discoverportugal.pt/mdh.1372547903.jpg

Athens, Greece:

http://www.tradeandexportme.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/athens-greece.jpg

Palermo, Sicily:

http://hdw.datawallpaper.com/architecture/old-palermo-in-sicily-297314.jpg

Wolf
09-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Portugal is southern europe, i never claimed it was northern. But i don't feel afinity with a far away sea.

I see, you don't like the umbrella term "Mediterranean".

The term "Mediterranean" is also used in other contexts like Mediterranean climate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_climate).

http://www.mc-4.org/uploads/1/2/1/4/12146463/2854661_orig.gif?1

Atlantic Islander
09-18-2013, 10:27 PM
One of the many reasons why Portugal is on this list:

https://vimeo.com/60274538

https://vimeo.com/60828955

https://vimeo.com/60242311

https://vimeo.com/12448634

https://vimeo.com/2915030

https://vimeo.com/72420869

https://vimeo.com/38838117

https://vimeo.com/10493864

Rouxinol
09-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Oh, and speaking about popular diet, should I mention that in Southern Italy like in Portugal, salted cod is a favourite source of proteins?

One of the most popular Calabrian recipes is "baccalà con patate" (any need to translate?):

I have never said that there wasn't a Mediterranean Portugal, there is, and that can be found in food as well (especially in southern food - just as it happens in Provence, as an exemple). I just refuted the idea that some try to pass that Portugal is a full-blown Mediterranean country as it is Sicily, Calabria or Crete. That's lunatic and false.

Ouistreham
09-18-2013, 10:29 PM
The term "Mediterranean" is also used in other contexts like Mediterranean climate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_climate).

This is a sensitive issue to our Iberian friends.

From a Spanish site:
http://www.zonu.com/images/500X0/2009-12-22-11439/Regiones-biogeograficas-de-Europa-2006.png

Wolf
09-18-2013, 10:37 PM
I really don't see the resemblance between, say, Guimarães (Portugal) and Athens (Greece) or Palermo (Sicily):

Guimarães, Portugal:

http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/4A/4E9CBC6C7789709E982CADFDB2A7F5.jpg

Athens, Greece:

http://www.tradeandexportme.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/athens-greece.jpg

Palermo, Sicily:

http://hdw.datawallpaper.com/architecture/old-palermo-in-sicily-297314.jpg

You're right, Guimarães resembles more Safranbolu (Turkey).

http://ciftcilerkereste.com/attachments/Image/safranbolu1.jpg

We're in a quandary now? :confused:

Damião de Góis
09-18-2013, 10:39 PM

Salted cod is not originally from here. We have it from contacts with scandinavian merchants in the XV century.
Where did the Calabrians got their cod from?

Slycooper
09-18-2013, 10:44 PM
I remember someone posting a very green forest that is in the North of Portugal. Does anyone know which one i'm talking about?

Rouxinol
09-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Just to go a bit further into this, Ouistreham, I dare to say that most villages north of the Tagus resemble more Western French villages than any of those places you cited in Italy or Greece.

La Rochelle (Poitou-Charentes, western France):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/247711_10151113929469118_1622521654_n.jpg

Aveiro (Portugal, central-western Portugal):

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww169/erdnaretlav/Aveiro2.jpg

But still Portugal is the same as Greece. Ok. :thumb001: Maybe you need glasses...

Rouxinol
09-18-2013, 10:46 PM
You're right, Guimarães resembles more Safranbolu (Turkey).

http://ciftcilerkereste.com/attachments/Image/safranbolu1.jpg

We're in a quandary now? :confused:

Actually I thought that was some random Bavarian town... Oops!

Damião de Góis
09-18-2013, 10:48 PM
I remember someone posting a very green forest that is in the North of Portugal. Does anyone know which one i'm talking about?

Gerês

alb0zfinest
09-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Why are so many people mad that their countries were not included? All of this is just subjective.

Peyrol
09-18-2013, 10:49 PM
How much National Geographic contributors are paid to churn out such horseshit?

How come the English speaking media have become the world's less reliable?

As a piemontèis, i would really like to see these ''tuscan mountains''...it sounds like an insult for my region which have the best mountains in the whole Western Alpes :lol:

http://youtu.be/T4mf60uetkU

Wolf
09-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Actually I thought that was some random Bavarian town... Oops!

Don't be ridiculous.

Cristiano viejo
09-18-2013, 10:51 PM
This is a sensitive issue to our Iberian friends.

From a Spanish site:
http://www.zonu.com/images/500X0/2009-12-22-11439/Regiones-biogeograficas-de-Europa-2006.png
So Spanish that the language is the English :picard1:

Then England or Germany belong to Mediterranean culture, because its languages have received Roman influence :thumb001:
Even London or Mainz were founded by Romans :thumb001:
No comment about other Roman influences received there: Gregorian calendar, etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbI-fDzUJXI

Wolf
09-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Why are so many people mad that their countries were not included? All of this is just subjective.

As I said before, there're several beautiful countries missing.

Slycooper
09-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Thats beauty.
http://www.panparks.org/sites/default/files/styles/park_header/public/media/images/park/mata_de_albergaria_3.jpg

Damião de Góis
09-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Don't be ridiculous.

I didn't know Guimarães looked like Turkey. Never been there, but i trust you are an expert on both Guimarães and Turkey to make that comparison. Either way if that's true, then the Turks have good taste:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3199/gmr13022010137cpia.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2428/gmr13022010149cpia.jpg

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5631/gmr13022010150cpia.jpg

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5850/gmr13022010157cpia.jpg

Peyrol
09-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Australia before Greece?

:lol::lol::lol:

Wolf
09-18-2013, 11:16 PM
I didn't know Guimarães looked like Turkey.

Me too.

http://www.48houradventure.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Guimar%C3%A3es-Shops.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3630/3549949312_5e788ca3cd_b.jpg

Never been there, but i trust you are an expert on both Guimarães and Turkey to make that comparison.

Thank you for your confidence.

Either way if that's true, then the Turks have good taste:

Turkey is worth seeing.

Ouistreham
09-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Salted cod is not originally from here. We have it from contacts with scandinavian merchants in the XV century.

Certainly not from Scandinavian merchants.

Basically, there are two schools about cod (the fishes being taken from the North Atlantic):
• in the South: salted cod, a trend set by the Basques.
• in the North: dried cod, marketed by the Norwegians.

Interestingly, both types are found in Italy:
• Southern Italy: salted cod, called "baccalà". Brought there by sea by the Portuguese (or Spaniards).
• Northernmost Italy (Venice): dried cod, processed in Northern Europe and that used to be shipped by land over the Alps. Therefore locally called "stoccafisso" (from German Stockfish) though the somewhat misleading word baccalà is also used there.

The evolution of the word is interesting and allows to retrace the advance of cod as a popular foodstuff:
• North Germany, Holland : kabeljou, kabeljauw
• The French made of it cabillaud.
• The Basques (who are unable to pronounce anything right) messed up the word as bakailao.
• Hence, bacalhau, baccalà, and similar words in Spanish and Catalan.

Damião de Góis
09-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Certainly not from Scandinavian merchants.

Basically, there are two schools about cod (the fishes being taken from the North Atlantic):
• in the South: salted cod, a trend set by the Basques.
• in the North: dried cod, marketed by the Norwegians.

Interestingly, both types are found in Italy:
• Southern Italy: salted cod, called "baccalà". Brought there by sea by the Portuguese (or Spaniards).
• Northernmost Italy (Venice): dried cod, processed in Northern Europe and that used to be shipped by land over the Alps. Therefore locally called "stoccafisso" (from German Stockfish) though the somewhat misleading word baccalà is also used there.

I'm pretty sure i know where our cod is from. Use google translate:

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesca_do_bacalhau_pelos_portugueses

Rouxinol
09-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Me too.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3630/3549949312_5e788ca3cd_b.jpg

It still resembles more Bavaria, mind you to look closer and you'll even see an half-timbered house!

Like in this Bavarian village:

http://www.lowryphotos.com/gallery/germany/UpperBavarianVillage_full.jpg

Quite striking look-alikes.

Ouistreham
09-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Aveiro (Portugal, central-western Portugal):
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww169/erdnaretlav/Aveiro2.jpg
It's quite reminiscent of Venice... And of Turkey indeed (timber framed houses not included):

Bosporus waterfront, Turkey:
http://perfumeniche.com/sites/default/files/Waterfront_houses_on_the_Bosphorus.jpg

Rouxinol
09-18-2013, 11:50 PM
It's quite reminiscent of Venice... And of Turkey indeed (timber framed houses not included):

Bosporus waterfront, Turkey:
http://perfumeniche.com/sites/default/files/Waterfront_houses_on_the_Bosphorus.jpg

And of La Rochelle as well. As for Turkey, that strikes more as Bavaria... Might be the timber-framed architecture.

Damião de Góis
09-18-2013, 11:50 PM
The evolution of the word is interesting and allows to retrace the advance of cod as a popular foodstuff:
• North Germany, Holland : kabeljou, kabeljauw
• The French made of it cabillaud.
• The Basques (who are unable to pronounce anything right) messed up the word as bakailao.
• Hence, bacalhau, baccalà, and similar words in Spanish and Catalan.

Like i said this fish is not from here. Even the word "bacalhau" is most likely of foreign origin. After a quick search i found out it comes from bakkeljauw or bakeljauw, words in older germanic dialects.

It even sounds like "bacalhau":

http://pt.forvo.com/word/bakkeljauw/

Also, there is no mention of basques here when bacalhau is concerned (or about anything else apart from ETA related news).

Wolf
09-18-2013, 11:54 PM
It still resembles more Bavaria, mind you to look closer and you'll even see an half-timbered house!

Like in this Bavarian village:

http://www.lowryphotos.com/gallery/germany/UpperBavarianVillage_full.jpg

This looks more Franconian than Bavarian.

Typical Bavarian towns have to look like this:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7050/6876540453_d82189789e_z.jpg

Quite striking look-alikes.

Not really, different roofs, materials, environment and most of all the black houses seem to be faced with slate.

Atlantic Islander
09-18-2013, 11:55 PM

:rolleyes:

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/9517/nguz.png

I went on tour with a few other staff members ALL over the gorgeous island of Faial. They have flemish architecture (a combo of Dutch/Belgian), sheep, and rolling hills. Looked a lot like England actually. They say the weather expectancy in one day= all 4 seasons, and it was true! We had sun, warm, rain, fog and freeze.

Atlantic Islander
09-19-2013, 12:22 AM
More gorgeousness:

https://vimeo.com/3690408

https://vimeo.com/4035074

https://vimeo.com/18805658

https://vimeo.com/8354604

rhiannon
09-19-2013, 04:24 AM
Thats beauty.
http://www.panparks.org/sites/default/files/styles/park_header/public/media/images/park/mata_de_albergaria_3.jpg

I'd love to see that spot in the autumn :)

Vasconcelos
09-19-2013, 03:21 PM
I'd love to see that spot in the autumn :)

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2526/4122976068_09fccf8e14_z.jpg?zz=1

http://ipt.olhares.com/data/big/234/2349899.jpg

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/358786/358786,1321071227,9/stock-photo-road-in-autumn-wood-at-mata-da-albergaria-geres-national-park-portugal-88691338.jpg

B01AB20
09-19-2013, 03:50 PM
municipality of Belmonte de Miranda, Spain.

http://fotos.subefotos.com/9ac8e146d7ced5e47f54f113e6d1dc27o.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DJbXy2wUw9E/Sw2CfcpHYfI/AAAAAAAAAcg/_eacLMsI2ws/s1600/SE%C3%91ALOSOS.JPG

if you go on bike, or walking... is just a bit scary. :p

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pMWdwkWHu_WOW0wogo2f8GXhi3UN4AonW2nITm_0YCbEfDQs ALnHIRN5i4CE3OWtUzIZ0JJVSh68

Empecinado
09-19-2013, 04:10 PM
municipality of Belmonte de Miranda, Spain.

http://fotos.subefotos.com/9ac8e146d7ced5e47f54f113e6d1dc27o.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DJbXy2wUw9E/Sw2CfcpHYfI/AAAAAAAAAcg/_eacLMsI2ws/s1600/SE%C3%91ALOSOS.JPG

if you go on bike, or walking... is just a bit scary. :p

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pMWdwkWHu_WOW0wogo2f8GXhi3UN4AonW2nITm_0YCbEfDQs ALnHIRN5i4CE3OWtUzIZ0JJVSh68

Such posters are going to expand to many others, as the bear population is growing and recolonizing areas :thumb001:

zoner
11-21-2014, 02:18 AM
You are right, Australia is more beautiful than any other country, and it is really a wonderful country to visit. Night life there is so amazing. The mysterious pink waters of Lake Hillier, remarkable rocks of Kangaroo Island, the beautiful beaches of the Whitsunday Islands make it more interesting.

most beautiful countries in the world (http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/most-beautiful-countries-in-the-world)

Gustave H
11-21-2014, 02:24 AM
Russia and Armenia should be on the list.

XvThomas_LysergicV
12-23-2014, 06:28 PM
These aren't in order but I think the top ten most beautiful countries are the United States,Canada,Australia,England,Ireland,Germany,It aly,Romania,Sweden and Denmark. Some honorable mentions are Greece,Norway,Finland,Serbia,Netherlands,Hungary and France.

Lithium
01-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Why is New Zealand so underestimated?

Austo
01-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Why is New Zealand so underestimated?

they dont know lord of the rings was filmed there

Foxy
02-02-2015, 09:13 AM
No Russia ??

According to two Italian tourists the most beautiful place they have ever seen is Saint Petersburg. They also said that they have never seen a city with more attractive people, both males and females.

Queen B
02-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Obviously because it is the 2nd most visited country in the world, with various World Heritage Sites, Amazing beaches and landscapes???

@ Greece is - of course - in the list, even though it should be higher.
Have a look to see why:
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?85350-Meet-tthe-World-in-Greece&highlight=meet+world+greece

Ulla
02-02-2015, 09:44 AM

Probably referred to the Apuan Alps in northern Tuscany that even when aren't snow-peaked look like that because of the marble rocks. As told by Ianus, there are skii resorts even in southern Tuscany, while most knowed snow peaked montains in Italy are Alps in deep North.

http://giannellachannel.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/6-LE-APUANE-E-CHIESA-DI-SASSOROSSO-PH-VGIANNELLA.jpg

Here at the border between Tuscany and Liguria (these snow-peaked Alps are in Tuscan territory).

https://ventisqueras.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sp_009_tellaro.jpg

Ulla
02-02-2015, 09:55 AM
According to two Italian tourists the most beautiful place they have ever seen is Saint Petersburg. They also said that they have never seen a city with more attractive people, both males and females.

Although the Italian community in St. Petersburg has never been large, no other nationality has had such a profound influence on the city's cultural and artistic heritage. While the cliche that St. Petersburg is the "Venice of the North" does not stand up to much scrutiny - St. Petersburg's broad avenues, formal green spaces and Empire-style public buildings mark it as the product of a much later age - Italians are bound to feel at home in the city thanks to the huge number of buildings modeled on Italian masterpieces and built by Italian architects, many of whom devoted their whole careers to developing the city. In fact, well into the 19th century, almost every major construction project in St. Petersburg was entrusted to an Italian designer, and the results are spectacular, culminating with the stellar career of Carlo Rossi, Russia's leading proponent of high neoclassicism.

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/italian/

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/italian/italian-tour-1/

Creators of Peter's western 'window': Italy's St. Petersburg invasion

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/24/style/24iht-pete_ed3_.html

Stears
02-02-2015, 10:16 AM
These aren't in order but I think the top ten most beautiful countries are the United States,Canada,Australia,England,Ireland,Germany,It aly,Romania,Sweden and Denmark. Some honorable mentions are Greece,Norway,Finland,Serbia,Netherlands,Hungary and France. Romania stole Transylvania from Hungary. 90% of their tourism concentrated there.

Foxy
02-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Although the Italian community in St. Petersburg has never been large, no other nationality has had such a profound influence on the city's cultural and artistic heritage. While the cliche that St. Petersburg is the "Venice of the North" does not stand up to much scrutiny - St. Petersburg's broad avenues, formal green spaces and Empire-style public buildings mark it as the product of a much later age - Italians are bound to feel at home in the city thanks to the huge number of buildings modeled on Italian masterpieces and built by Italian architects, many of whom devoted their whole careers to developing the city. In fact, well into the 19th century, almost every major construction project in St. Petersburg was entrusted to an Italian designer, and the results are spectacular, culminating with the stellar career of Carlo Rossi, Russia's leading proponent of high neoclassicism.

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/italian/

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/italian/italian-tour-1/

Creators of Peter's western 'window': Italy's St. Petersburg invasion

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/24/style/24iht-pete_ed3_.html

Italians can feel at home in Saint Peterburg, Odessa, Pula, Istanbul, London, Paris, Jew York and many more :D

Itarildë
02-02-2015, 03:08 PM
I am surprised that England, Scotland, Wales and/or Ireland wasn't in the list.
The Lake District, Peak District, The Fens, Yorkshire Dales, The Scottish Highlands, The Brecon Beacons and County Clare (Ireland) just to name a few...

This list was obviously compiled by an Anglophobe.

SupaThug
02-02-2015, 03:10 PM
What they said about São Paulo is an absurd :mad:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/15759_358398257641497_1013833911335486950_n.jpg?oh =76a4e70c00cac6e666dcfa2e317af3f3&oe=55542296&__gda__=1433185003_30fdb781decf3886bd7ba4412da7c34 e

HillY35
02-02-2015, 03:31 PM
[B]7 | USA

It has the ugliest cities in the developed world linked by shopping mall roads of fast food joints, car lots, billboards, cheap hotels and soulless suburbs (with deluded populations obliviously living the American nightmare), but when it comes to nature, America really is the beautiful. There are the Hawaiian islands, the epic scale of the Grand Canyon, the extraordinarily clear waters of Lake Tahoe, California's Big Sur, the wildlife in Alaska, the breathtaking scenery of Monument Valley or of Yellowstone, Yosemite and the other great national parks, the forestland of the Great Smoky Mountains... The list of natural wonders seems to go on forever and then there's San Francisco to save the country on the offer of beauty in an urban setting.

Jeez... We Americans can't do nothin right.

Baldur
02-02-2015, 06:29 PM

Sankt Petersburg is known to be the most beautiful city in eastern europe. Haven't been there myself though.

Baldur
02-02-2015, 06:30 PM
What they said about São Paulo is an absurd :mad:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/15759_358398257641497_1013833911335486950_n.jpg?oh =76a4e70c00cac6e666dcfa2e317af3f3&oe=55542296&__gda__=1433185003_30fdb781decf3886bd7ba4412da7c34 e

Skyscrapers = ugly.

Stears
02-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Sankt Petersburg is known to be the most beautiful city in eastern europe. Haven't been there myself though.

Both Moscow and Petersburg have little historic downtowns like London and Berlin.

rhiannon
02-03-2015, 12:27 AM
Jeez... We Americans can't do nothin right.
Guess I'm soulless, then....livin' the 'burb nightmare :thumb001:

Smeagol
02-03-2015, 05:48 AM
Obviously because it is the 2nd most visited country in the world, with various World Heritage Sites, Amazing beaches and landscapes???

@ Greece is - of course - in the list, even though it should be higher.
Have a look to see why:
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?85350-Meet-tthe-World-in-Greece&highlight=meet+world+greece

Lol, quoting a post I made over a year ago.. Anyway, I was just trolling Spanish users at the time which I renounced in another thread.

Queen B
02-03-2015, 05:51 AM
Lol, quoting a post I made over a year ago.. Anyway, I was just trolling Spanish users at the time which I renounced in another thread.
I didn't check when the comment was made. No big deal. :thumb001:

JimsyRuf
03-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Being from the southeast my travel has been limited to: The U.S., Caribbean, Central and South America and Hawaii, although those places are beautiful, especially in the 4 corners region and Costa Rica, Im looking for something different. I am interested in somewhere relatively safe and WARM that has striking beauty, strange animals, good food, crystal clear water and reef I like to free dive, mountains, Colorado vibe if ya know what Im saying, waterfalls, all that. Im looking at Pelau or Micronesia. Any places You've ever been that were what Im looking for? Where would You consider the coolest place in the world to be, even if its cold?

coolstorybro
03-31-2015, 04:50 PM
I've been to about 20 countries, none in Africa or South America. The most beautiful places in my opinion are either the tropical paradise islands like in the Philippines or countries with mountains like Western Norway or Alaska. The beauty of the latter two makes me seriously consider moving there to raise a family when that time comes.

Cristiano viejo
03-31-2015, 04:56 PM
I've been to about 20 countries, none in Africa or South America. The most beautiful places in my opinion are either the tropical paradise islands like in the Philippines or countries with mountains like Western Norway or Alaska. The beauty of the latter two makes me seriously consider moving there to raise a family when that time comes.

Cool story bro

Jana
03-31-2015, 05:05 PM
Had luck to visit some countries, and none is as beautiful as Croatia! OK, Italy than. Need to visit North Africa and Asia, and more of Yurop-

coolstorybro
03-31-2015, 05:13 PM
Balkan definitely looks beautiful judging from pictures I've seen. A good mix of mountain, valleys, forests, rivers and coastline.

Cristiano viejo
04-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Had luck to visit some countries, and none is as beautiful as Croatia!
Whatever the landscape or building you are thinking about Croatia we have it here in Spain, and multiplied.
Granted.

Bagot
04-01-2015, 02:35 PM
I agree with this list.

Rædwald
04-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Norway should be on this list.

Jana
04-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Whatever the landscape or building you are thinking about Croatia we have it here in Spain, and multiplied.
Granted.

Yes Spain must be beautiful. My boyfriend visited Seville, and fell in love with the city. Said it's breathtaking. I like landscapes of Galicia and Basque country, looks very green and beautiful.

Most beautiful place I have visited so far is Southern and Central Italy. And Czech Republic in terms of cities.

B01AB20
04-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Yes Spain must be beautiful. My boyfriend visited Seville, and fell in love with the city. Said it's breathtaking. I like landscapes of Galicia and Basque country, looks very green and beautiful.

Most beautiful place I have visited so far is Southern and Central Italy. And Czech Republic in terms of cities.

Asturias and Cantabria in the atlantic coast have more fantastic landscapes with their high mountains and deep green valleys, and the wild litoral of course.

Jana
04-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Asturias and Cantabria in the atlantic coast have more fantastic landscapes with their high mountains and deep green valleys, and the wild litoral of course.

Would like to visit them as well. Travel is biggest joy :)

armenianbodyhair
04-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Had luck to visit some countries, and none is as beautiful as Croatia! OK, Italy than. Need to visit North Africa and Asia, and more of Yurop-

yeah I'm a little surprised it didn't make the list.

Cristiano viejo
05-19-2015, 06:37 PM
My tour to SPAIN has proved it to me. Barcelona was an amazing place to stay and especially when we talk of a traveler throughout these things have a lot of importance that how a place is being considered. This is the way for it and it helps people surely.

Barcelona is just a drop of water in the Spanish beauty.