PDA

View Full Version : Can animals see what we cannot?

Sol Invictus
10-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Ever notice you see your dog barking at the air and staring into thin air as if he was looking at something that you could see?

Thoughts?

Loki
10-12-2009, 02:29 PM
I voted "no". I don't believe in ghosts.

Skandi
10-12-2009, 02:31 PM
maybe not see, but their hearing and smell is better than ours, maybe there is something there, even if it is just a bird a couple of doors down.

ikki
10-12-2009, 02:36 PM
what makes you think their seeing is particularily developed? More like smell a nigger across the town.

Its crabs that see a wholly different sky, all those nebula etc.. like we can see only with telescopes outside the athmosphere

Beorn
10-12-2009, 03:05 PM
They can see sober what a human can only see after extensive use of drugs. Although some humans have been born with abnormal perceptions, but compared to dogs the senses are still limited. Dogs can see several millions of different colours each one representing different perceptions. Their smell is 100'000 times more powerful than a humans and their hearing is phenomenal. They can hear roughly at four times the power of humans. Animals are like Humans, they can sense things which shift the myriad of planes by their movements. Humans have lost this ability over the course of our evolution and civilisation.

Whether you wish to believe it to be physical or paranormal is up to your own belief system.

Skandi
10-12-2009, 03:06 PM
They can see sober what a human can only see after extensive use of drugs. Although some humans have been born with abnormal perceptions, but compared to dogs the senses are still limited. Dogs can see several millions of different colours each one representing different perceptions. Their smell is 100'000 times more powerful than a humans and their hearing is phenomenal. They can hear roughly at four times the power of humans. Animals are like Humans, they can sense things which shift the myriad of planes by their movements. Humans have lost this ability over the course of our evolution and civilisation.

Whether you wish to believe it to be physical or paranormal is up to your own belief system.

Dogs are colour blind...?

Guapo
10-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I voted "yes". I believe in ghosts.

Beorn
10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Dogs are colour blind...?

Dogs are not colour blind. They can see many shades of colour.

But I did check quickly to make sure (as you do:D) and I had actually been led to believe something which isn't fact. Humans can see more colours than dogs. Doh!

Dogs are not color blind - they see color, but their chromatic acuity is significantly less than humans'. This is for two reasons: (1) dogs have far fewer cone cells in their retina (cone cells are responsible for seeing color); and (2) dogs are dichromatic (they see only two primary colors - blue and yellow) whereas humans are trichromatic, meaning we see three primary colors - red, blue, and green. Humans have 7 times higher proportion of cone cells than dogs, meaning that when dogs do see colors, they are pale or faded. However dogs have a much higher concentration of rod cells, responsible for seeing black-and-white, and also much more sensitive in lower light conditions. For that reason, dogs have much better night vision than people.

Bridie
10-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Not so sure about animals, but I'm sure that (human) babies can.

Beorn
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM

You ever read about that boy who was adamant he was married with children from a previous life?

Treffie
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Yes, I agree. They've either got exceptionally vivid imaginations or something else is at work there.

Eldritch
10-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Many animals have a better sense of smell, or hearing, or in the case of predatory birds, eyesight, than humans.

Almost all animals can sense tremors in the earth better than we can -- because they've been around longer. They can sense an incoming earthquake, tsunami or hurricane better than us. It's evolution. There's nothing supernatural about it.

Bridie
10-12-2009, 03:28 PM
You ever read about that boy who was adamant he was married with children from a previous life?Which one? There have been many of these stories....

Yes, I agree. They've either got exceptionally vivid imaginations or something else is at work there. I remember feeding my daughter as a baby, just before bed in a darkened and quiet room.... occasionally she would look at some point in mid-air, totally and intensely focused on it, (and it's not easy to focus on some point in mid-air, even for an adult), at these times she would often smile with such joy and giggle at this point in the room. I knew she was communicating with someone.

ikki
10-12-2009, 03:36 PM
and humans, especially the northern kind :p have this supernatural ability to see the future... like being able to predict that a fridge of potatoes will run out one day... and that hiding some beneath the ground... could somehow magically lead to feeding you the next year :p

An ability completely lacking in the pigmentally challenged, and leads to them talking about white mans magical senses and abilities to know what is to come. Guess having a fairly uniform life around the equator never caused such abilities to develop.

Poltergeist
10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Yes, they can.

And it's not necessarily ghosts.

Laudanum
10-12-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure, but I think they might be able to see them, yes.;)

Absinthe
10-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Many animals have a better sense of smell, or hearing, or in the case of predatory birds, eyesight, than humans.

Almost all animals can sense tremors in the earth better than we can -- because they've been around longer. They can sense an incoming earthquake, tsunami or hurricane better than us. It's evolution. There's nothing supernatural about it.
What he said.

Tabiti
10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
I can't use exactly the verb "see", since dogs and cats haven't so good visual abilities like us. However, they feel things, especially cats. I've read that cats can see ghosts (if they exist of course). In the past we have many of the those senses, however they are "asleep" because the modern day life.

Brynhild
10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I voted yes, but only because I've had some bizarre experiences with ghosts - and after ruling all other possible explanations out.