PDA

View Full Version : Apple Butter

Frigga
10-12-2009, 03:39 PM
For Thrymheim ;)

This is an extra scrumptious recipe for those who have never had apple butter. Basically it's just applesauce that is cooked down till it can mound on a spoon. It is so delicious. :) You can use it in place of jam in any instance that you would use it, like in your hot cereal, or on pancakes, or on toast. It is the epitome of fall in the States. There are also so many different versions of apple butter out there. I am giving the instructions as presented in my Joy of Cooking's All About Canning and Preserving, page 82. There are canning instructions that I will not be posting, but I will post a link to a canning instruction site here (http://canningusa.com/). I will make a separate thread about canning later. :)

Baked Apple Butter
About eight 1/2 pint jars

Stem and quarter:
6 pounds unpeeled cooking apples such as Cortland and Macoun
Combine in a large heavy saucepan with:
8 cups apple juice or water
Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the apples are soft, about 1 1/2 hours. Preheat the oven to 200 F. Pass the apples through a food mill or medium mesh sieve. Return to the pan, and add:
Juice and grated zest of one lemon
1 1/4 cups of sugar, white or half white half brown
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Slowly bring to a boi, stirring frequently. Stir in:
1/2 cup port or dry red wine (optional)
Pour three quarters of the puree into a crock or deep baking dish, reserving the rest. Bake uncovered, until thick enough to mound on a spoon, about ten hours. (If you want to use a slow cooker at this step you can) As the mixture shrinks, add the reserved puree. Pack the hot fruit butter into hot jars. Leave a 1/4 inch headspace, and water bath process for 10 minutes.