PDA

View Full Version : Calm Before The Storm?

Sol Invictus
10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Calm before the storm?
Posted: 1347 GMT
http://inthefield.blogs.cnn.com/2009/10/12/calm-before-the-storm/

(CNN) – CNN Cairo went to the beach Monday. It was not, alas, a day of rest. We assembled at 2 a.m. at the headquarters of the Egyptian Army’s “Morale Guidance” Bureau, from where we were bussed, an hour later, to the northern coast to cover the 2009 Brightstar Exercises.

Troops take part in a dramatic beach landing.

This year 17,000 troops from Egypt, the United States, Jordan, Pakistan, Germany, Italy, and Kuwait — to name a few — are taking part.

These military exercises have been conducted every two years since 1981.

There is a certain predictability about these affairs. The officers, whatever the country, are all upbeat, talking about cooperation, partnership and mutual respect.

But in the end, these are war games: A rehearsal for something to which other, far less lofty terms come to mind. The officers we interviewed — Americans and Egyptians — speak in glowing adjectives, but dodge questions about what or whom the exercises are preparing for.

I covered Brightstar 10 years ago. Back then it was also all about partnership and cooperation. But in the combat operations room of the USS John F. Kennedy, I had a premonition of what was to come. On a map of clear plastic, written in magic marker over Baghdad were the words: “Target: Saddam.”

Ten years later Saddam is gone; U.S. forces are bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan, while targets have been hit in Yemen, Somalia, and Pakistan.

Voices have been raised in the U.S. – though more loudly and insistently in Israel — calling for military action against Iran, which is accused by some of pursuing a nuclear weapons program.

Back in 1999 it was fairly clear that sooner or later the U.S. and its allies would, somehow or other, bring down Saddam Hussein. After September 11, 2001, regardless of Iraq’s non-involvement in those attacks, Saddam’s days were running out.

I don’t think, at this moment, an attack against Iran (by Israel, by the U.S., or both) is as inevitable as Saddam Hussein’s demise. But the possibility is there.

As the sun rose over the desert, I watched three C17 “Globemasters,” which had flown straight from Fort Bragg in North Carolina, drop hundreds of paratroopers — mostly Americans along with a few Egyptians and Pakistanis. Later, a pair of American Cobra gunships provided air support as three huge U.S. Navy hovercraft disgorged a dozen armored humvees on a beautiful Mediterranean beach, already “secured” by U.S., Egyptian, Pakistani and Jordanian troops.

It was an impressive display of force and hardware, as well as cooperation and partnership. However it’s easy to see from the weapons on display who is the senior “partner.”

Sitting in the press bus on my way back to Cairo typing this with my thumbs on a blackberry, I wonder if, as the American and Egyptian officers told us, the Brightstar exercises aren’t designed for a specific threat then what is the point?