PDA

View Full Version : Should Malta become part of Sicily, yes or no?

Sikeliot
09-21-2013, 05:26 PM
I think so, but I then think Sicily should be independent from Italy.

Virtuous
09-23-2013, 03:32 AM
No. I am for regional autonomy. If lets say, Malta had to join Italy as an independent Nation/Region, much like how the U.S. works, I would like the idea. I already said that I support Imperium Europa. Many Italians also have this regional sentiment going on.

Sikeliot
10-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Bump

Scandalf
10-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I think so, but I then think Sicily should be independent from Italy.

Believe me, they would both go bankrupt so fast that Standard & Poor's, Moody's, and Fitch wouldn't have the chance to realize it.

Albion
10-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Believe me, they would both go bankrupt so fast that Standard & Poor's, Moody's, and Fitch wouldn't have the chance to realize it.

Lol. Sicily would be among the poorest states in Europe. I'd support an independent Sicily with Malta forming part of it though.

Corvus
10-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Malta is an independent state and should remain so.

Piccolo
09-28-2014, 06:46 PM
I voted "no." I think the Maltese are their own people despite similarities with the Sicilians. I actually think the Maltese would be more likely to join the U.K. than Italy/Sicily given their recent history.

Shah-Jehan
09-28-2014, 06:48 PM
Depends on what the Maltese think, they are extremely close to Sicilians in look, culture etc.

Virtuous
09-28-2014, 07:01 PM
I voted "no." I think the Maltese are their own people despite similarities with the Sicilians. I actually think the Maltese would be more likely to join the U.K. than Italy/Sicily given their recent history.

Ah, good old thread has been bumped. I hate when good old threads are bumped.

Speaking as a Maltese, Malta has not only some similarities with Sicily, but is pretty much identical in people and traditional customs as well as mentality. There is indeed an additional British + Western Globalist influence to the culture. When it comes to football at least, the Island is divided between Italy and England, a continuation of the scholarly/political legacy from the past. Love for beer and football pubs are a colonial tradition. With that said, personally, I wouldn't mind forming some sort of commonwealth with Italy as well, since my observation is that the Maltese, having also an influence from Italian Media and immigration, are not so far from Sicilians to the potentiality of being assimilated into Italianity, there is already an intangible degree of it. Ultimately we are a Latin people.

alfieb
09-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Speaking as a Maltese, Malta has not only some similarities with Sicily, but is pretty much identical in people and traditional customs as well as mentality.

Co-sign.

Every Malteser I have ever met has basically been no different from a Sicilian, only with a different accent.

We are one ethnic group separated by politics and language, and more politics than language because we are able to understand each-other anyway.

I would be fine with Sicily seceding from Italy and joining Malta, or Malta joining an independent Sicily, but if the only way to unite the two is by having Malta become part of Italy, I am not in favor.

Virtuous
09-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Co-sign.

Every Malteser I have ever met has basically been no different from a Sicilian, only with a different accent.

We are one ethnic group separated by politics and language, and more politics than language because we are able to understand each-other anyway.

I would be fine with Sicily seceding from Italy and joining Malta, or Malta joining an independent Sicily, but if the only way to unite the two is by having Malta become part of Italy, I am not in favor.

Yeah, Cous, I am too much of an irridentist. ;)

alfieb
09-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Yeah, Cous, I am too much of an irridentist. ;)

I can't judge. At your age I was a fascist irredentist who believed that Corsica, Dalmatia and Malta were unredeemed Italy.

Tiberio
12-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Malta is an italian land but unfortunately should be better that they remain indipendent considering the terrible economic situation of my nation.

Óttar
12-19-2014, 07:58 PM
The Maltese actually voted to be annexed by Great Britain. The British rejected the vote.:bounce:

Corvus
12-19-2014, 08:00 PM
The Maltese actually voted to be annexed by Great Britain. The British rejected the vote.:bounce:

When did that happen

Óttar
12-19-2014, 08:03 PM
When did that happen
Around the time when Malta got its independence from the UK.

StonyArabia
12-19-2014, 08:06 PM
If they want to I guess, they are afterall Sicilians basically but speak a dialect of Arabic.

StonyArabia
12-19-2014, 08:07 PM

Sometimes I wish we get cool islands, like Turk islands on the Carib sadly, it was rejected damn.