PDA

View Full Version : Royal 22e Régiment, Canada's French Guard

Sol Invictus
10-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Changing of the Guard at La Citadelle, Québec City, ceremonial HQ of the Royal 22e Régiment "Van Doos".
Formerly the Black Watch, they are the received Royal distinction for their loyalty and prowess in battle, and are the French Guard of Her Majesty in Right of Canada. The best fighting force ever assembled in Canada.
bORhVm8QYaA

Sol Invictus
10-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Even the drill of these guys.. I've drilled, and paraded as an Army cadet in my youth, which is the exact same kind of drill the Canadian Forces, in the British tradition, are taught. And I notice how the van doos drill in almost a completely different manner. You never see an Anglo soldier come to a halt by double stamping his feet in the exact unison as these guys. They march the same and all that, but that double stamping is a really neat addition which is seen only in this French Regiment. All their commands are in French, as well, yet they wear red coats! It's ironic, but it's wonderful at the same time. I'm so proud of these boys.

Sol Invictus
10-16-2009, 12:50 AM
As the Guard is changed, the third soldier in the rear, who shouts the commands is the NCO who overlooks the Guard, salutes the new Guard as they now stand at their post (you notice the soldiers extend their firearms out in front of their chest as a sign of respect, a military salute) as well as the Regimental & Royal Standard that is engraved over the arch that leads out of the Parade grounds and into the headquarters.