PDA

View Full Version : #SolidarityIsForWhiteWomen: women of color's issue with digital feminism

Loki
09-23-2013, 08:57 PM
#SolidarityIsForWhiteWomen: women of color's issue with digital feminism (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/14/solidarityisforwhitewomen-hashtag-feminism)

Hugo Schwyzer's Twitter confession was the catalyst. But my hashtag is about a crucial debate, not a phony prof's meltdown

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/8/13/1376424731248/Mikki-Kendall.jpg
Mikki Kendall
theguardian.com, Wednesday 14 August 2013 11.30 BST

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/8/13/1376431206087/hugoschwyzer_460x276.jpg

Manifest Destiny
09-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Good. Let the libtards eat their own.

Sikeliot
09-23-2013, 09:00 PM
As someone who is part of feminist circles I am familiar with this movement and the ideas behind it. Much of it has to do with the inability for feminist circles to recognize that black women face different struggles as women than white women do.

Incal
02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
As someone who is part of feminist circles I am familiar with this movement and the ideas behind it. Much of it has to do with the inability for feminist circles to recognize that black women face different struggles as women than white women do.

That's because Feminism is basically an Anglo thing. That's why it will never accomplish a thing on a worldwide scale.

Sikeliot
02-12-2014, 02:56 PM
I actually no longer associate with feminists because I was sick of being told as a white male that I cannot have an opinion.

rhiannon
02-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Historically, the women's suffrage movement back in the early 20th-century marginalized black women. :(

arcticwolf
02-12-2014, 03:47 PM
I actually no longer associate with feminists because I was sick of being told as a white male that I cannot have an opinion.

LOL

Is not the official mantra for us all to get in touch with our feminine side? Who is more qualified among male population than gay men?

Seems to me you are a victim of gender discrimination! :laugh:

Prisoner Of Ice
02-12-2014, 03:48 PM
That's because Feminism is basically an Anglo thing. That's why it will never accomplish a thing on a worldwide scale.
It's already accomplished destruction of white america, that's a pretty big achievement.

Incal
02-12-2014, 03:55 PM
It's already accomplished destruction of white america, that's a pretty big achievement.

LOL I've heard it's even worse in the UK or Sweden.

Prisoner Of Ice
02-12-2014, 03:56 PM
LOL I've heard it's even worse in the UK or Sweden.

Yeah, it's not really that bad here. I don't think most women agree with 1/10th the stuff I see on places like reddit. But it seems to be at society destroying levels in europe.

Incal
02-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Yeah, it's not really that bad here. I don't think most women agree with 1/10th the stuff I see on places like reddit. But it seems to be at society destroying levels in europe.

I think in a not so far future feminists will outbreed themselves so not a serious problem really. Or just wait till another war starts and things get serious. Whatever comes first.

Prisoner Of Ice
02-12-2014, 04:21 PM
I think in a not so far future feminists will outbreed themselves so not a serious problem really. Or just wait till another war starts and things get serious. Whatever comes first.

The only problem is that in those countries some muslims have taken root. They will be the ones doing the breeding as their women empower themselves all day on the internet.

blklady2013
02-13-2014, 06:36 PM
I came to the realization very early on that I was very choosy about feminism growing up. You could ask my mother or any of the women in my family who Betty Friedan was and they would look at you with question marks written all over their faces. Many African-American women don't have a frame of reference for the feminist movement primarily because older generations' time was monopolized by the Civil Rights movement. Moreover, the economic realities addressed in feminism never struck a chord with black women because the majority have always participated in the workforce to some extent.

Incal
02-14-2014, 06:48 AM
I came to the realization very early on that I was very choosy about feminism growing up. You could ask my mother or any of the women in my family who Betty Friedan was and they would look at you with question marks written all over their faces. Many African-American women don't have a frame of reference for the feminist movement primarily because older generations' time was monopolized by the Civil Rights movement. Moreover, the economic realities addressed in feminism never struck a chord with black women because the majority have always participated in the workforce to some extent.

Feminists call that Intersectionality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 07:05 AM

An example: if I were to think of what my grandmother would have wanted from a women's movement it would've been support helping her husband find work that was more than seasonal and unionized (this was segregation era so damn near impossible) so she wouldn't have to leave her children name farm to go to rich white women's houses raising kids not their own.

Ironically it was the (White) Feminist movement that said work was liberation.

Another: Among a very few self described feminists some will 100% fully believe "all men should die" not understanding a white women could literally get any man killed just by accusation hundreds were killed in lynchings from white girls who said they did something that was not overtly submissive.

White feminist women have never understood how even in their honestly disenfranchised position how for the most part they still had power over men of any other race and were farthest above any other women in this country.

That and they were paternalistic to the black women wanting a soapbox to voice their opinions and start fighting for not only black women of all class but poor women in general.

To this day you see a pandering in most feminist circles where they either refuse or pay lip service to class/race/culture like taking over any topic regarding women movements around the world NOT of their making or not even mentioning them (think Aba Women's Riots) or they totally twist the words of black feminists for their own purposes.

Things are slowly changing most women who aren't white are doing wayyy more work together and I would say among my circle we generally roll eyes whenever some dumb mess is said then get back to work helping our communities.

blklady2013
02-14-2014, 10:17 PM
An example: if I were to think of what my grandmother would have wanted from a women's movement it would've been support helping her husband find work that was more than seasonal and unionized (this was segregation era so damn near impossible) so she wouldn't have to leave her children name farm to go to rich white women's houses raising kids not their own.

Exactly. Moreover, I never grew up feeling a sense of inferiority to males. That particular form of oppression didn't really touch my own family because in our household, while my father was alpha of the pack, he actually WANTED my sister and I to be as self-sufficient as possible for pragmatic reasons. We pretty much operated under the law of necessity. If it needs to be done, and you're there...then do it. So when I encounter gender battles, I literally want to scream because they don't make a lot of practical sense to me.

Also
02-14-2014, 10:23 PM
I am allergic to feminists.

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Exactly. Moreover, I never grew up feeling a sense of inferiority to males. That particular form of oppression didn't really touch my own family because in our household, while my father was alpha of the pack, he actually WANTED my sister and I to be as self-sufficient as possible for pragmatic reasons. We pretty much operated under the law of necessity. If it needs to be done, and you're there...then do it. So when I encounter gender battles, I literally want to scream because they don't make a lot of practical sense to me.

I really feel that stems from a history of black women not being able to be seen as weak or fragile. There was NO pedestal for us & our female ancestors worked right along the fields with men.

The gender battle ofcourse does exist in our community but how it manifests is totally different because of our different history as racialized peoples.

Proctor
02-14-2014, 10:27 PM

Another: Among a very few self described feminists some will 100% fully believe "all men should die" not understanding a white women could literally get any man killed just by accusation hundreds were killed in lynchings from white girls who said they did something that was not overtly submissive.

White feminist women have never understood how even in their honestly disenfranchised position how for the most part they still had power over men of any other race and were farthest above any other women in this country.

That and they were paternalistic to the black women wanting a soapbox to voice their opinions and start fighting for not only black women of all class but poor women in general.

To this day you see a pandering in most feminist circles where they either refuse or pay lip service to class/race/culture like taking over any topic regarding women movements around the world NOT of their making or not even mentioning them (think Aba Women's Riots) or they totally twist the words of black feminists for their own purposes.

Things are slowly changing most women who aren't white are doing wayyy more work together and I would say among my circle we generally roll eyes whenever some dumb mess is said then get back to work helping our communities.

White feminists are the worst imo. They've had it so easy compared to some other groups in the US.

KidMulat
02-14-2014, 10:31 PM
White feminists are the worst imo. They've had it so easy compared to some other groups in the US.

I wouldn't say white feminists are bad, I just think feel white feminism is just limited in scope and those who follow it most often react in ways because of that scope limiting the chance of solidarity (hence the hashtag name)