PDA

View Full Version : Cornish 'terrorists' declare war on students

Beorn
10-14-2009, 10:22 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01501/Cornwall-graffiti-_1501154c.jpg

Anti-student slogans signed by the The Cornish Republican Army, also known as the "Farmer Bin Ladens", have appeared at an open day event at University College in Falmouth.
The group is said to be angry that a proposed 231 new flats will be made into student accommodation, rather than being made available to local residents.

The graffiti, sprayed at the nearby Penryn railway station, said: ''Penryn has had enough of students – CRA'.
Local councillor Geoff Brown said: ''I think it's a great pity that we have had this vandalism. We welcome students in Cornwall.

''It seems a great pity that some people aren't broad-minded enough to accept that.''
Deputy mayor Ted Wilkes added: ''The graffiti is very childish. It makes bad impression.''
CRA members, who want independence from the United Kingdom, have previously threatened to fire bomb the restaurants of Rick Stein and Jamie Oliver.
The group has also claimed responsibility for burning down an empty warehouse and two derelict offices.

Source (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6315385/Cornish-terrorists-declare-war-on-students.html)

Fair play to the CRA. It's obvious the local councillor isn't up to much. Perhaps he should start paying less attention to himself and pay more attention to the folks around him.

231 flats to be converted into accommodation for students?!?! Fucking disgraceful.
How about you give them the once over and sell them off to the locals who are actually wanting to settle and stay in their country?

Sounds like too much common sense to me. :rolleyes:

(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6315385/Cornish-terrorists-declare-war-on-students.html)

Fortis in Arduis
10-15-2009, 02:21 AM
It does.

As a student from out of town in my university town I found council accommodation more accessible than local kids who had parents in the area as a result of my not having parents who lived nearby, and because I had a landlord who had decided to sell the flat I was renting.

They (the locals) had practically no chance of getting a council flat. My chances were slim, but I managed to get one of the (very) hard to let flats in the area, which should have rightfully gone to a local, if anyone.

This is the stupidity of accommodation allocated on an arbitrary needs basis.

Treffie
10-15-2009, 08:01 AM
"Farmer Bin Ladens", :D

They sound like a bunch of grumpy Nimbys to me :rolleyes:

Skandi
10-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah remove all the students take away the money they bring, take away the jobs the generate, I wonder why Cornwall has the lowest wages in the country, Oh and of course then your children can't go to a local collage either! Not the brightest sparks in the bag.

raZvan
10-15-2009, 12:03 PM
It is not rare for idiots to resent educated people. But stupidity is congenial and all we can do is be slightly sympathic while making sure they never get their hands on any influence affecting other people.

Beorn
10-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Yeah remove all the students take away the money they bring, take away the jobs the generate, I wonder why Cornwall has the lowest wages in the country, Oh and of course then your children can't go to a local collage either! Not the brightest sparks in the bag.

What's wrong with staying on campus? I'd much rather see Cornwall populated by its own population instead of having them be driven out to other counties in search of family accommodation. Low wages will always be suffered around Cornwall, students or no students.

It is not rare for idiots to resent educated people. But stupidity is congenial and all we can do is be slightly sympathic while making sure they never get their hands on any influence affecting other people.

These people don't resent education! They resent having their futures denied them by incoming people all pandered towards by the state. The population just simply moves up and ships out.

Great preservationists you all are.

Treffie
10-15-2009, 12:23 PM
What's wrong with staying on campus? I'd much rather see Cornwall populated by its own population instead of having them be driven out to other counties in search of family accommodation. Low wages will always be suffered around Cornwall, students or no students.

You can't stay on campus after the first year - in any Uni - well not in my day. ;)

These people don't resent education! They resent having their futures denied them by incoming people all pandered towards by the state. The population just simply moves up and ships out.

Great preservationists you all are.

This is the same everywhere, Beorn. It doesn't make Cornwall unique.

Beorn
10-15-2009, 12:29 PM
You can't stay on campus after the first year - in any Uni - well not in my day. ;)

About time it's changed.

This is the same everywhere, Beorn. It doesn't make Cornwall unique.

Never said it was. I'm just disgusted that "preservationists" are quite nonchalant about the demise of populations of the British Isles. Aslong as they get a good education, I suppose.