PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Myths and Books of Importance.

Rachel
10-15-2009, 12:31 PM
So from my studying and understanding of the Norse religion and culture, we have two main books comprised of myths and stories (the Prose and Poetic Eddas) that give norse followers the basics of the beliefs and stories of how these beliefs came to be.

Do the Celtic people have anything that dates back to the same time as the Poetic eddas? Any main books for reference. I have seen mutiple books on irish and celtic myths and i am wondering if any books exist that are not only a religious book but also a historical document as well.

I personally, would call the Poetic Eddas as well as the Prose Eddas both Historical documents of the Norse people. But that may just be my naive young self talking.

Thank you in advance,
Rachel

ariaka
12-08-2011, 02:46 AM
I know very little about Irish mythology/folklore but I do recall reading something about how the first recorded race/tribe of people in Ireland were known as the Fir Bolg... but then another race/tribe invaded and conquered and they were called the Tuatha De Danann. And I am not sure what, if any, other peoples invaded Ireland after that according to Irish mythology.