PDA

View Full Version : Richard Dawkins: Humanity has a 50 percent chance of surviving until the next century

Herbalist
09-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Richard Dawkins appeared on Tuesday night’s edition of “The Daily Show” and told host Jon Stewart that the greatest threat to the human race as a species comes from the possibility of powerful technologies falling into the hands of religious fanatics. Dawkins was promoting his new book, a memoir titled An Appetite for Wonder.

Stewart began the segment by conveying a message to the author and scientist from a liberal Presbyterian pastor in the show’s studio audience, who asserted that Christian faith and respect for scientific principles can go hand in hand.

“Yes, I’m aware of that,” Dawkins said. “It’s a point I often make, and I often join forces with bishops and other friends to combat the anti-scientific tendency of fundamentalist religion.”

A common misconception among fundamentalists, he said, is that all religious people are like them, “and they’re not.”

Stewart said that he would propose as the topic of their discussion, the question of whether “the end of our civilization will be through religious strife or scientific advancement. What do you think will, in the long term, be more damaging to our prospects as the human race?”

Dawkins replied that the British Astronomer Royal Sir Martin Rees gives the human race a 50 percent chance of surviving the 21st century “and one of the reasons is he fears that the fruits of scientific advancement — the bad fruits, things like dirty bombs, things like biological warfare — could get into the hands of religious fanatics, who unlike all other terrorists, actually want to die.”

“So, to the question you asked,” he said, “probably both.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/25/dawkins-humanity-has-a-50-percent-chance-of-surviving-until-the-next-century/

larali
09-25-2013, 09:08 PM
It's called "fear-mongering"; what a way to give religious fundamentalists ideas. :picard1:

Richard Dawkins-- his name rings a bell. Was he the one that believes aliens created humankind?

Yaroslav
09-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Humanity has 0% chance of surviving until the next century. That is, humanity as we know it. ;)

Prisoner Of Ice
09-25-2013, 09:11 PM
What a dumbass, so now he's the new Carl Sagan, too?

amerinese
09-25-2013, 09:12 PM
It's called "fear-mongering"; what a way to give religious fundamentalists ideas. :picard1:

Richard Dawkins-- his name rings a bell. Was he the one that believes aliens created humankind?

No, he's just a well-known and published atheist evolutionist from UK. I never heard of him being associated with any extra-terrestrial creationism.

Hàkon
09-25-2013, 09:28 PM
In theory, the more disastrous the weapon, and the more short-sighted and wicked the hand which wields it, the shorter a future we have.

Though, I wonder what the basis for those exact odds are; however, along with the general environmental decay, a great part of which has been elaborated on now and is soon going to be available to the public (http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/#.UkNP04YvVP5), I agree that whatever the chance we have it is getting slimmer by the minute.

Loki
09-25-2013, 09:32 PM
It's time to kick religion into touch. Really dangerous stuff.