PDA

View Full Version : Greek and Russian role in the Kosovo war (split from the wn thread)

Svarog
10-17-2009, 10:20 AM
The Greeks there shared race and religion with the Serbs, and probably racial/religious 'hatreds' as well, which probably explains why they were there.

It is more out of a tradition than some racial or a non-existing ideological reasons

Greeks and Serbs has fought wars together since ever, starting with first and second Balkan war, the world war one when Serbs actually liberated Thessaloniki after Greeks and French saved thousands of Serbian soldiers giving them food and place to stay until they recover from a March from Serbia over Albanian mountains, WWII none of us were in a position to fight really and it is continued these days, of course religion plays a role just as it does with Russian, but again, more of a tradition, there were always Russian soldiers/volunteers in all the wars Serbia fought just as there were Serbian soldiers/volunteers in any war that Russian fought including the very last one in Georgia.

G-hPPpF8LHY
GNuOsFFeFss
rIfaaEXA6ps

This is the quote from the Time's article:

A tall, athletic Serb in his mid-40s, with blue eyes and curly long blond hair, comes into the courtyard. He walks over to the group of Cossacks, picks the oldest one out of the group and gives him a big hug and a kiss on each cheek. According to two of the men in the courtyard, the Serb, who is wearing new fatigues and slightly worn Asolo hiking boots, had fought Bosnia and is now there to fight in South Ossetia and Georgia. He may have fought in Chechnya, but no one will say. I talk to him for a moment. He speaks some English but is more comfortable in his lightly accented Russian. "I've come to fight in South Ossetia alongside the Russians," he says.

Times (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1832294_1832295_1831523,00.html)

It's a tradition, and so called Russian-Serbian brotherhood, nothing else.

Greeks:

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo348/Slaven14/greeks.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo348/Slaven14/hdr.jpg

And another fairytale about massacre Greeks and Serbs commited:

It is what Hellenes have long feared: the shattering of a conspiracy of silence that has surrounded the role of Greek volunteers who proudly flew their flag at Srebrenica, after participating in Europe's worst massacre since the Second World War, when 7,000 men, women and children died.

The Rest (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/jan/05/balkans.warcrimes)

SwordoftheVistula
10-17-2009, 10:27 AM
But surely there are some underlying commonalities which lead to this kinship? I also notice you have a guy holding the Polish flag as your avatar, Poland as a northern European and Catholic country has nothing in common with Serbia other than being Slavic.

RoyBatty
10-17-2009, 10:36 AM
But surely there are some underlying commonalities which lead to this kinship?

Of course. Linguistic similarities, religion, cultural heritage to an extent, tradition. Greeks, Serbs and Russians have traditionally had good relations and common foes. (Turks for example).

Svarog
10-17-2009, 10:38 AM
But surely there are some underlying commonalities which lead to this kinship? I also notice you have a guy holding the Polish flag as your avatar, Poland as a northern European and Catholic country has nothing in common with Serbia other than being Slavic.

That guy is me, and I am holding a Polish flag because of a friendship with a Polish American guy, we had a camping trip and he gave me this flag so I took a pic, not me or him represents our countries, it's just a friendship.

Well, volunteers are usually all kinds of people, some come just cause they like violence, some come cause they are going for some war profit, some of the historical reasons, some just cause they are bored, it is also individual, Gods knows what make one go to the other part of the world just so he could get possibly killed.

Guapo
10-21-2009, 04:24 AM

The commonalites is that all three nations fought "Turks" in the past either in the Caucausus or the Balkans. There were many Arab volunteers fighting in eastern Bosnia on the other side as well. It had nothing to do with "race".