PDA

View Full Version : Why is pork one of the least expensive meats?

FrostDragon
09-30-2013, 11:48 PM
From my experience with meats, I know pork is mostly used for processed products such as ham and frankfurter, but fresh pork can be just as cheap as chicken; for example, where I buy my meats, pork chops coss 87NIS per kilogram, while lamp chops are a whopping 299NIS per kilogram! And considering Israel has a large amout of observant Muslims and Jews, thus having less requierment, this is considered expensive. One articel about pork I read once (Ali Landau, the author, died last year sadly) mentioned pork filet (also note pork is commonly called in modern Hebrew "white meat") beeing as cheap as 1/4 the price of beef filet-and I ask myself-why? I actually asked the people who sell me the meat, and one suggested it's because pigs beed muh faster than sheep or cattle, while the Hebrew wikipedia suggests it's pecause pigs aren't picky eaters and gain weight easily. It's not like fresh pork isn't good meat, pork chops are just as good as entrecôte when grilling (or at least I think so). This also makes my ponder why is lamb propabaly the most expensive meat-even the butcher told me I'm better off just eating pork chops.

(Is this true that pork is even cheaper in other western countries?)

mr. logan
09-30-2013, 11:51 PM
They eat rubbish.

FrostDragon
09-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Lambs can go on a diet of straw, and it's still 4 times the price of pork...

Neanderthal
09-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Should be around 17-19NIS per kilogram here. Very cheap, but don't really like. Lamb is not so common and sort of expensive here, so we have not many choices.

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Should be around 17-19NIS per kilogram here. Very cheap, but don't really like. Lamb is not so common and sort of expensive here, so we have not many choices.

That cheap? Even a liter of fruit-flavored goat yogurt is more expensive than this...

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Lambs can go on a diet of straw, and it's still 4 times the price of pork...

You can breed a pig to weight up to 300 kg.
With lamb you get about 25-30 kg of meat with bones, but without organs.

KidMulat
10-01-2013, 12:01 AM
From my experience with meats, I know pork is mostly used for processed products such as ham and frankfurter, but fresh pork can be just as cheap as chicken; for example, where I buy my meats, pork chops coss 87NIS per kilogram, while lamp chops are a whopping 299NIS per kilogram! And considering Israel has a large amout of observant Muslims and Jews, thus having less requierment, this is considered expensive. One articel about pork I read once (Ali Landau, the author, died last year sadly) mentioned pork filet (also note pork is commonly called in modern Hebrew "white meat") beeing as cheap as 1/4 the price of beef filet-and I ask myself-why? I actually asked the people who sell me the meat, and one suggested it's because pigs beed muh faster than sheep or cattle, while the Hebrew wikipedia suggests it's pecause pigs aren't picky eaters and gain weight easily. It's not like fresh pork isn't good meat, pork chops are just as good as entrecôte when grilling (or at least I think so). This also makes my ponder why is lamb propabaly the most expensive meat-even the butcher told me I'm better off just eating pork chops.

Pigs are one of the best converters of food to protein and fat ratios and literally at anything people can potentially eat.

1stLightHorse
10-01-2013, 12:03 AM

Well, since you live in Israel (correct?) which is full of jews and muslims, i'm guessing that demand for pork would be quite low, combined with the fact that they breed quickly and can be fattened quickly too.

In Australia where demand for pork is higher, pork can be quite expensive.

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 12:05 AM
You can breed a pig to weight up to 300 kg.
With lamb you get about 25-30 kg of meat with bones, but without organs.

Oxen can be even heavier, and yet beef is more expensive...on the contrary, a rooster is only few kilogram, and yet is the cheapest meat in Israel...

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I also dont understand why is it considered expensive (lamb) ?

Here you can buy it for 8 marks (4 euros) on average, you can buy viel for 12 marks, and you can buy pork for 3-3.5 euros in christian populated places.
Its not that much of a diference in price

Neanderthal
That cheap? Even a liter of fruit-flavored goat yogurt is more expensive than this...

According to this page (http://coinmill.com/ILS_MXN.html), i'm correct.

FrostDragon
Well, since you live in Israel (correct?) which is full of jews and muslims, i'm guessing that demand for pork would be quite low, combined with the fact that they breed quickly and can be fattened quickly too.

In Australia where demand for pork is higher, pork can be quite expensive.

Yes, indeed, but I'm not an observant Jew; alot of Jews survived on a diet of pork during nazi presecution.

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Oxen can be even heavier, and yet beef is more expensive...on the contrary, a rooster is only few kilogram, and yet is the cheapest meat in Israel...

And oxe needs 3 years to reach its 1 ton weight
You can get a pig to 150-200 in a year, not to mention that it eats its own shit so its easier to feed and mantain

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Hurlj-Israelis eat mostly chicken and turkey, and most beef is imported. I know Icelanders commonly eat mutton, but climate there couldn't be any different...
Hellhammer-I trust you, it just sounds really cheap, because it's about as cheap as chickeen here, and again, Israelis LOVE chicken.

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Hurlj-Israelis eat mostly chicken and turkey, and most beef is imported. I know Icelanders commonly eat mutton, but climate there couldn't be any different...
Hellhammer-I trust you, it just sounds really cheap, because it's about as cheap as chickeen here, and again, Israelis LOVE chicken.

How much does goat meat cost over there? Climate should be good for them

Prisoner Of Ice
10-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Chickens are also harder to process or they would be cheaper. Pig is easy to process, and converts food to mean the quickest on pound for pound basis than anything but chicken. And of course will eat stuff no chicken would eat, don't need cages etc.

1stLightHorse
10-01-2013, 12:18 AM

Interesting...How many people eat chicken there?

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 12:23 AM
How much does goat meat cost over there? Climate should be good for them

Goat's meat is very fiberish, so it's not eaten; goat dairy, however, is very popular; in the supermarkert I buy food in, you can find stuff like full goat milk, goat yogurt is various fruit flavors, goat and sheep cheeses of various kinds, even goat cheese to spead on bread and goat butter-and that's consideringt the Israeli cow is 1# in the world in milk production; buffalo dairy is also avialbe, Israelis just eat alot of dairy.
And yes, I know pigs eat feces; I know it was once common in China (and still is?) to feel pigs an feces and then eat the pigs themselfs; wouldn't that spread diseased?

FaeAus
10-01-2013, 12:23 AM

I'm pretty sure chicken is raised very quickly and can go from egg to slaughter in around 4-6 weeks. In Aus, chicken is one of the least expensive meats, along with the economy cuts from beef. Pork and lamb tend to be quite expensive.

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Goat's meat is very fiberish, so it's not eaten; goat dairy, however, is very popular; in the supermarkert I buy food in, you can find stuff like full goat milk, goat yogurt is various fruit flavors, goat and sheep cheeses of various kinds, even goat cheese to spead on bread and goat butter-and that's consideringt the Israeli cow is 1# in the world in milk production; buffalo dairy is also avialbe, Israelis just eat also of dairy.
And yes, I know pigs eat feces; I know it was once common in China (and still is?) to feel pigs an feces and then eat the pigs themselfs; wouldn't that spread diseased?

Strange. Dried goat meat is the most expensive here, costing 33 marks per kilo (kilo of lamb is 8 marks)
And now I hear it isnt considered good tasting there

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Interesting...How many people eat chicken there?

Most people, some people eat them daily.

1stLightHorse
10-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Strange. Dried goat meat is the most expensive here, costing 33 marks per kilo (kilo of lamb is 8 marks)

Why is it so expensive? There's an ageing process?

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 12:31 AM

Iv'e never seen processed lamb or mutton either, they are only used for fresh meat.

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Why is it so expensive? There's an ageing process?

Killed and then salted whole for 2 days and then hung over fire to smoke untill dry
Best tasting thing you will ever taste :D

KidMulat
10-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Kind of random but has any user on here heard of a butchering tradition of draining and throwing away the blood by creating a structure to hang a pig by the back legs and slitting its throat?

I have heard no group doing this my, family just said "pig blood is poisonous" and that was what they were taught.

Coldy Valdir
10-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Because Serbs eat it

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Iv'e never seen processed lamb or mutton either, they are only used for fresh meat.

Damn XD
Soo many differences :P
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KjOx1x-533Y/Th7uSyNTEUI/AAAAAAAARZ4/NFjtG6P8gvA/s1600/suho.jpg

Its best tasting meat, every family buys an entire goat/sheep/cow when snows hit and then dry it like that :)

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Killed and then salted whole for 2 days and then hung over fire to smoke untill dry
Best tasting thing you will ever taste :D

It's quite odd to me too, that goat dairy is so common but not goat meat.

Chieftain
You people are gross.

(Vegetarian here by the way.)

RandoBloom
It's quite odd to me too, that goat dairy is so common but not goat meat.

Its other way around here :P
No one likes the milk of them, it stinks and is strong, way to strong :P

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Damn XD
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KjOx1x-533Y/Th7uSyNTEUI/AAAAAAAARZ4/NFjtG6P8gvA/s1600/suho.jpg

Its best tasting meat, every family buys an entire goat/sheep/cow when snows hit and then dry it like that :)

Iv'e never seen a mutton sausage, is there such a thing at all?

1stLightHorse
10-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Damn XD

How traditional is the lifestyle in Bosnia today for most people?

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Iv'e never seen a mutton sausage, is there such a thing at all?

Of course there is :D
Also tastes like heaven :D
http://i.imgur.com/ugG6Mgx.png

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Its other way around here :P
No one likes the milk of them, it stinks and is strong, way to strong :P

Goat milk does have an interesting aftertaste, I just mix warm goat milk with honey to make it taste more sweet.

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:40 AM
How traditional is the lifestyle in Bosnia today for most people?

It depends where you live. But this tradition lives with everyone. Those living in cities buy the animal and then pay village people to dry it for them.
There are some religious traditions that persist, like Ajvatovica and Blagaj, once a year, which date to Illyrian times, both were used to sacrifice people in those times :P

Coldy Valdir
10-01-2013, 12:42 AM

why are you making me hungry it's almost 3 am :(

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 12:42 AM
It seems Israelis just don't eat plenty of mutton, Id'e be happy to eat that anyway...Iv'e seen hot dogs made of chicken, turkey, beef, veal and pork.

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:43 AM
aIt seems Israelis just don't eat much mutton, Id'e be happy to eat that anyway...Iv'e seen hot dongs made of chicken, turkey, beef, veal and pork.

This doesnt taste like hotdogs though :P
The taste has to be tasted, cant be described :D

Blackout
10-01-2013, 12:44 AM
My favourite meat is Beef (although i rarely have it).

I used to write up 'accounts' for a butcher. He had a centrifuge that would make the meat dry quickly. I have never tried either, but i'm guessing 'aged' drying is much better... ;)

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:44 AM
why are you making me hungry it's almost 3 am :(

Because its before-breakfast time
http://pecenjaratesic.rs/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/janjetina2-906x525.jpg

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:45 AM
My favourite meat is Beef (although i rarely have it).

I used to write up 'accounts' for a butcher. He had a centrifuge that would make the meat dry quickly. I have never tried either, but i'm guessing 'aged' drying is much better... ;)

You cant machine dry it to get good taste :P

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:46 AM
No, it isnt cevapi lighthorse :D
Its Sudzukica :D

Coldy Valdir
10-01-2013, 12:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/FJaYCeR.jpg

Oh god my mouth is watering now

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:51 AM
http://i.imgur.com/FJaYCeR.jpg

Oh god my mouth is watering now

Where are them onions ;:D

Coldy Valdir
10-01-2013, 12:53 AM

DAMNN i forgot them, we need A LOT of onions and some olive oil it would be perfect :D please waiter bring some onions URGENT!!! because we can't start without them

Stefan_Dusan
10-01-2013, 12:53 AM

I would add peppers and cheese.

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:56 AM
DAMNN i forgot them, we need A LOT of onions and some olive oil it would be perfect :D please waiter bring some onions URGENT!!! because we can't start without them

Then you are rady for Jogurt :D

Coldy Valdir
10-01-2013, 12:58 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Ek2RewK.jpg

HERE COME THE ONIONS

red ones because are more spicy. real men eat red onions like cheese :DD

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 12:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Ek2RewK.jpg

HERE COME THE ONIONS

red ones because are more spicy. real men eat red onions like cheese :DD
If you are a man then you should be able to eat Saransak like apples :D

http://www.narodnilijek.com/storage/saransak.JPG

Neanderthal
10-01-2013, 01:03 AM
What do you guys drink with this? :D

Coldy Valdir
10-01-2013, 01:04 AM
If you are a man then you should be able to eat Saransak like apples :D

http://www.narodnilijek.com/storage/saransak.JPG

HAahahah i will eat them both raw with just a semi spoon olive oil

(who gives a fuck kissing gf after , girlfriend can wait but saransak can't

Coldy Valdir
10-01-2013, 01:04 AM

Rakija :D

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 01:10 AM

Jogurt.
Fermented milk basicaly :P

RandoBloom
10-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Rakija :D

Bah. Alkohol ruins the good taste of food XD

FrostDragon
10-01-2013, 02:46 PM
^While I'm not that much of a drinker, I do like beer with my food, that only improved the taste!