PDA

View Full Version : Can You Cook?

Pages : [1] 2

Lady L
01-04-2009, 12:26 AM
For most of us we probably eat the same things over and over, and do you ever find yourself wanting a new recipe..? I know I do. :D

I know there are tons of recipes online but who wants to skim through all that? I thought this would be a good place for us to share things we cook often for others to try.

Of course I'm Southern bred so excuse me with my country cooking but the first thing I want to post would be excellent for any of my lady friends out there ( men welcome too of course ) who want to try a simple cornbread, that can keep for days. :thumb001:

Here's the easy recipe I call " Fritters " ( cornbread ) in a skillet- it is delicious!

-First in a mixing bowl throw in 2 cups of cornmeal
-Now you want to dampen the cornmeal in oil, I usually have vegetable oil around the house.
-You want it to look pretty much like sand and then mix around a bit.
-Remember to only dampen the cornmeal with oil then proceed to add milk and stir slowly until you have a good texture. You want the mixture to be in between runny and thick.

-Have your skillet ready on the stove top on a med high. Spoon out the mixture into the skillet like you would pancakes. :) Let brown then flip and brown then done!

Another thing you can do is throw in diced bell peppers and/or onion if you like.

Enjoy!

Psychonaut
01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
I'm generally an inferior cook when compared to my wife, but I do have one specialty that I'll share with you folks:

Taco Burgers

1). Mix in with ground beef taco seasoning, cheddar cheese, and salsa.

2). Shape and cook patties from this beef.

3). Put them on a bun with toppings to include sour cream, guacamole, more cheddar, lettuce and tomatoes.

4). Eat with a side of Fritos.

Ulf
01-04-2009, 01:59 AM
This is kind of like Psychonaut's.

Hobo Pie
Cook tacos like normal.

Crush your shells into a cup.

Put your hamburger in the cup, sprinkle with cheese, hot sauce, or whatever else you feel like putting in.

Can be used w/ fritos as well.

The Pennsylvania Dutch version of chilli is called 'Chilli Con Carni'. It's not what most people would think of when they think of chilli, but it tastes great and it's very simple. It's especially good in cold weather. A one-pot meal that will take just a few minutes to prepare, and is easy to double (or half) if you need to.

* 1 lb. homemade noodles (or 1 bag (12-16 oz.) wide egg noodles)
* 1 can baked beans
* about 1 cup of spaghetti sauce, more or less (or 1 small jar)
* 1 lb. hamburger
* 1 onion, chopped

Brown hamburger and onion. Cook and drain egg noodles. Combine everything. You may need additional sauce if you have leftovers and warm them up later. Chilli should be thick, not soupy. Goes great with crusty bread.

Atlas
01-04-2009, 10:57 AM
As a single adult, I don't cook that much beside rice, spaghettis, steaks and such easy stuff to cook.

I do what I can when I have some friends coming home. Mrs Lyfing you seem to have some talent, your man must be spoiled !

Anyway, these days, we're not anymore on the "women locked up in the kitchen" that was common 50 years ago so guys have to learn some stuff too and that's good.

Grumpy Cat
01-16-2009, 01:59 AM
I love cooking! I find it actually helps me relax.

Here's some Acadian recipes, which are good for people who live alone, as well as for feeding families, and both of these recipes have been big hits at my office when we had potlucks.

Mussel Bake:

Preparation time: 30-40 mins
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
4-6 servings

4 lbs. mussels, cleaned and debearded
salt and pepper to taste
6 slices bacon, chopped
2 tbsps lemon juice
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated or 3/4 cup parmesan cheese

1. Remove beards from mussels and rinse well. In a large covered saucepan, cook mussels in small amount of boiling water for 6-8 mins, or until shells open.
2. Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
3. Remove meat from shells and place in buttered 6-cup baking dish for pan. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with onion and lemon juice.
4. Cover with chopped bacon and sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake at 375 deg for 15-20 mins or until bacon is cooked

Meat Pie:

Preparation Time: 45 mins.
Cooking time: 35-40 mins.
6 servings

pastry for 9-inch double pie shell
1 lb. ground lean pork (or 1/2 lb. pork and 1/2 lb. beef or veal)
1/2 cup water
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. sage
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. mace
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
pepper to taste
2 medium potatoes
1 egg, beaten

1. Prepare your favourite pastry for 9-inch double pie shell. (I just use the Tenderflake pie shells here)
2. Combine meat, water, onion, garlic and seasonings in large, heavy-bottom saucepan with tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue cooking 25 minutes, stirring frequently and breaking up meat with fork.
3. Meanwhile, peal potatoes, cook in boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes; drain and mash (this should measure about 1 cup)
4. Preheat oven to 425 deg.
5. When meat has finished cooking, there will be a little liquid in the bottom of pan; do not drain. Remove from heat. Stir in mashed potatoes.
6. Turn meat and potatoes mixture into prepared shell. Cover with top crust; trip and crimp edges to seal. Whisk egg with 1 tsp. water and brush lightly of top of crust. Slash crust in several places to allow steam to escape.
7. Bake in 425 deg oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 deg. and cook for another 20 minutes.

Treffie
01-16-2009, 12:03 PM
All this talk of food is making me very hungry;)

Fortis in Arduis
01-17-2009, 08:05 PM
I am always satisfied with this dish. This is copied from the book "Heaven's Banquet" by Miriam Kasim Hospodar:

A tart flavorful dish from South India. For a true South Indian touch add a tiny sprinking of urad dal and flaked red chillis to the ghee in Step 1 and saute until the urad dal is golden brown.

Step One

2 tablespoons ghee or butter
Pinch of hing (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds

Step Two

1 cup (205g) long-grain white rice, preferably basmati

Step Three

2 cups (480ml) water or 2.25 cups (540ml) for basmati rice
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (80g) cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas) (optional)

Step Four

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (90ml) lemon juice

1. Heat the ghee or butter in a saucepan. Add the hing and cumin seeds and saute for 1 minute over low heat.

2. Add the rice and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.

3. Pour in the water. Add the tumeric, salt, and garbanzos. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce the heat, and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.

4. Gently fold in the lemon juice. Cover and allow to stand for for 2 to 3 minutes.

I really hope that folks enjoy this recipe. I sometimes add a couple of teaspoons of brown mustard seeds in Step One.

This recipe is part of my everyday cooking. x

Brynhild
01-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Good thread. I've cooked quite a lot over the years, and there are probably heaps of recipes that I'll eventually remember.

One of the family favourites is my Lasagna:

Packet Lasagna sheets
500g (or a pound roughly) of mince - I use Pork or chicken as it has less fat
Onions - finely chopped
Can tomato soup
Teaspoon or more of garlic
Soy sauce
Sweet chilli sauce - use both just enough to taste

Boil noodles in a big pot of boiling water. While doing that, cook up the mince and onions. When that is done put in tomato soup, garlic, soy and chilli sauce and mix in until all blended.

Once the noodles are cooked put them aside in a bowl of cold water while you do the cheese sauce.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan, stir in 4 tablespoons of flour (I use Maize) and cook for about a minute. Slowly add 2 cups milk, stirring until sauce boils and thickens. Add a bit of salt and pepper. Add about half a cup of normal cheese and 1 tablespoon of parmesan and stir until the cheese melts.

Put the first layer of sheets into a baking dish, then adding the first layer of sauce and the cheese sauce. Repeat until you put on the third layer of lasagna, sprinkle with parmesan. Cook in a moderate oven - about 180C or 350F for 20-25 minutes, take out and spoon some cream on top. Put back in oven for another 10-15 minutes.

Sounds complicated? Not really, it's just a matter of getting the timing right, and the effort is worth it! And the beauty of this recipe is you can add vegetables to it, or even go vegetarian if you wish!

Solwyn
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
I just posted this at another forum, but I thought there might be a recipe thread or subforum here, too!!!!

I put this together this evening, and I heart it a whole lot. Hopefully everyone else eating likes it, because Mom's Diner only runs one special per meal. This makes enough that you could take half the yield and put it away for another day.

3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch

Mix together well in a small saucepan and add:

the grated rind of one blood orange
the juice and some of the pulp of said orange
2 capfuls of orange blossom water
Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce - just hold the bottle upside down and shake the hell out of it. It's not really spicy-spicy. Maybe I used a tablespoon? Don't know.
Coarse ground black pepper to taste.

Turn on medium heat, and put the saucepan on the stove.

Keep about 20 oz of water on hand, and using a whisk, slowly add the water, let the sauce thicken, and then add some more. You'll probably go through the whole glass. I went through 1 1/2 this evening.

Remove from heat when thick and hot, let sit to thicken up a bit more, and baste drumsticks generously during their last 10 minutes on the grill. And by basting, what I really mean is glop it on so that your chicken finishes up nice and STICKY. Reserve the rest for dipping.

I could put this on ice cream, LOL. I love it!!!!

My chicken is done now. I must go......:thumb001:

Solwyn
03-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Here is the loaf of bread that was served at our Yule Blot dinner:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/gefjion/1223081655.jpg

I love making braided bread!!!!!

Birka
03-05-2009, 01:27 AM
I can grill me a steak that can taste ok. I know how to push the buttons on the microwave. I can reheat take out food real good.

Beorn
03-05-2009, 01:30 AM
I can cook the best chicken and pasta, mixed with lashings and lashings of tomato ketchup and brown sauce and green beans, you will ever taste.

Gwynyvyr
03-05-2009, 02:10 AM
I cook everything from scratch.
I make my own vinegars.
I make kimchi, sauerkraut and other fermented foods (good for you, they are!)
Right now I am a bit annoyed because my old pasta machine has fallen to pieces and I either have to buy pasta or roll it out and cut by hand.:ohwell:

I make *powders*...tomato powder, spinach powder, celery powder, apple powder....using the skins, peels, bits and pieces that people normally toss out.
Great for flavoring soups and stews, making dips, adding to bread recipes and other things.

I don't do this to be a *foodie* or a wanna-be chef. I raised seven kids and had to wring out every tiny bit of flavor and nutrition out of the food I bought or raised. I learned over the years.

This is a bit from my blog:

I used to buy Bisquick and thought I was making a frugal choice...then I found recipes to make my own *Bisquick* type mix from scratch. Terrific and easy to stock your pantry with, but with just a few add-ins you can make pancakes, biscuits, muffins, cakes, cookies...the list goes on...
This recipe makes a big batch...I usually make a bigger batch (twice this size!), but it stores well. It is also great to have it on hand for immediate use.

Fake "Bisquick" Baking Mix
9 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking powder
1 Tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups nonfat powdered milk
2 cups shortening (which does not require refrigeration, I use bargain brand all- vegetable)

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar and sugar two times. Mix in dry milk (I just stir it in really well...taking about 2 minutes to make sure it is well-mixed) Cut in shortening until mixture looks like grainy cornmeal. Store in covered container in your pantry. No refrigeration necessary, but still, you don't want it to get over-heated...might give it an *off* taste!

Biscuits
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine 1 1/2 cups Fake "Bisquick" Mix and 1/3 cup milk in a bowl. Add milk and stir. Knead lightly on floured board.Try not to over-handle dough as it will make your biscuits *tough*. Roll 1/2-inch thick; cut and place on un-greased baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Makes 8.

Add-Ins: Grated sharp cheddar cheese or minced herbs (I like rosemary!)

Muffins
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Beat together in a bowl 1 egg, 1 cup milk and 2 tablespoons sugar. Add 3 cups Fake "Bisquick" Mix. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. DO NOT OVER MIX! Spoon into greased muffin pans or into paper muffin cups and bake 20 minutes.

Add-Ins:Chopped nuts or dried fruit. Replace 1/3 cup of Fake "Bisquick" Mix called for with quick-cooking oatmeal or dry cereal such as Raisin Bran, Fiber One or Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Add extra dried fruit--minced or chopped nuts and bake as a fruit bread in a greased 8 x 5-inch loaf pan. Change baking time and temp. to 40 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Pancakes or Waffles
Whip with wire whisk 1 cup milk and 1 egg until well mixed and *frothy*. Stir in 1 1/2 cups Fake Bisquick Mix. Cook on griddle or bake on waffle iron. I have found that it helps if you brush a waffle iron with a bit of oil before you put the batter in!

Add-Ins: Dried blueberries, cranberries or fresh strawberries (sliced). If adding dried fruit, let set 10 minutes before cooking.

Dumplings
Mix 1/3 cup water to 1 cup Fake Bisquick Mix. Drop into hot broth and cook 10-15 minutes, uncovered, and 10 minutes, covered.

Add Ins: Minced herbs to compliment the stock/soup.

Yellow Cake
Sift together in a large bowl 3 cups Fake Bisquick Mix and 1 1/4 cups sugar. Mix together in a small bowl 2 beaten eggs, 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Add this gradually to dry ingredients while beating with mixer on *Low*. Beat at high speed for 3 to 5 minutes after all dry ingredients are mixed in. Grease a 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Ice cake or leave bare or spread jam on top!

Add Ins: For chocolate cake increase the sugar to 1 1/2 and add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder. Or add 1 teaspoon rum extract (instead of almond extract) and 1/2 cup chopped nuts. YUM!

Coffee Cake
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat together in a bowl 1/3 cup milk and 1 egg. Add 1/4 cup sugar and 2 1/4 cups Fake Bisquick Mix. Stir together well , about two minutes. Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking pan. Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 3 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 teaspoon Rum, almond or lemon extract and sprinkle over the top. Bake 25 minutes.

Add Ins: For a sunny orange coffee cake,cut milk to 1/4 cup, add 4 tablespoons orange juice and stir. Change topping to 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 cup chopped slivered almonds, 1 teaspoon orange zest, 3 tablespoons butter, toss with 1/2 teaspoon orange extract or thawed frozen orange juice concentrate and bake as directed.

Oatmeal Cookies
Place 2 1/4 cups Fake Bisquick Mix in a bowl. Stir in 1 3/4 cups brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Combine 1/3 cup milk, 2 beaten eggs and 1/2 cup melted shortening. Stir into mix and blend well. Add 3 cups (uncooked) oatmeal and mix. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 12 minutes.

Add Ins: 1/2 cup raisins, chopped nuts, chocolate chips (use the semi-sweet!) For a different twist, add 2 tablespoons orange juice to mix plus 1/2 teaspoon orange zest.

Banana Walnut Bread
Beat 2 eggs and 1/4 cup sugar together in a bowl until well blended. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1 1/4 cups (2 to 3, depending on size) mashed bananas and 3/4 cup chopped walnuts. Stir in 2 1/2 cups Fake Bisquick Mix. If mix seems too dry, add water, one teaspoon at a time until batter is very thick, yet still pourable. Pour into a greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes or until brown.
Pizza Crust
Add 1/2 cup warm water to 2 cups Fake Bisquick Mix and form into a ball. Knead and roll out 1/2-inch thick. Place in a 10-inch pan, leaving a rim around the edge. Brush the dough with oil, then spread with favorite toppings.
Add Ins: Add 1/2 teaspoon minced oregano, 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary or other herbs to mix when you add water.

Baron Samedi
03-05-2009, 02:21 AM
I can make a MEAN grilled cheese!

That is all.

Jägerstaffel
03-05-2009, 02:21 AM
I can cook anything.

And the things that I don't know how to cook - I can learn and make them tasty delicious.

Absinthe
03-05-2009, 10:51 AM
This (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21362) is more or less the stuff I cook. :)

I am very good at making pasta and salads from scratch from left overs in the fridge. I also adore pulses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_(legume)) of most kinds, cheeses boiled vegetables.

Generally, I prefer to eat fresh (raw) food so salads are my number one choice, and like to try funny combinations, such as:

Apple and hazelnut salad with aniseed dressing (http://jodimop.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/apple-hazelnut-salad/)

Salad with lettuce, avocado and fresh mushrooms (http://jodimop.wordpress.com/2008/06/11/salad/)

Pasta salad with roasted vegetables and Greek goat’s cheese dressing (http://jodimop.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/pasta-salad/)

:)

Birka
03-06-2009, 12:14 AM
With Ragu spaghetti sauce and frozen meat balls, and some whole wheat pasta, I was able to cook dinner tonight. I did add about 1/2 onion and lots of garlic powder.

Gwynyvyr
03-06-2009, 01:07 AM
<snip>...
I am very good at making pasta and salads from scratch from left overs in the fridge. I also adore pulses of most kinds, cheeses boiled vegetables.

Generally, I prefer to eat fresh (raw) food so salads are my number one choice, and like to try funny combinations<snip>

I adore salads! :) That's what made me go into making my own flavored vinegars and flavored oils.

A lot of times I make salad wraps as I am on the go a lot in my job.
One of my favorites is thinly sliced pear, chopped walnuts, raw baby spinach, sliced strawberries if I have them and then drizzle it with raspberry vinergarette, wrap it up and go. YUM!

coldielox
03-07-2009, 11:46 AM
one of the many odd recipies i have...

its called Hobo Stew..
1 pound of browned ground beef
1 or 2 cups of raw rice
1 can of corn
1 can of cream of mushroom soup ( optional.. i personaly dont use this, but ppl have complained of how dry the stew is then)

just brown the meat, boil the rice, then add everything together and eat ;)

Solwyn
03-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I will be trying a recipe for Guinness Chocolate Cake this weekend. I will post the recipe if I like it.

May the gods bless Guinness:thumb001:

Gwynyvyr
03-07-2009, 07:18 PM
This is a recipe that was a mainstay at my house when the kids were small and up into their teens. It is the simplest recipe, anyone can make it. Gussied up, it is good enough for snooty guests!

Poor Mans Pasta

Ingredients

Enough Pasta to feed everyone in your house (or Rice if you are out of Pasta)
Sliced Onions (2 should do it, your choice of onions, I like Spanish reds)
Sliced Green, Yellow and/or Red Sweet Pepper (or a mix!) (1 or 2 work nicely)
Minced Garlic (do it yourself or use the stuff in jars with oil, again a couple cloves…to your taste)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (4 Teaspoons or so)
Meat (if you have it!) Italian sausage,sliced smoked sausage, ham or pepperoni chunks are good for this
2 Tablespoons butter (use margarine ONLY if you have to)
Italian seasoning or a mix of finely chopped fresh herbs (however much you want)

Optional…depending on your family’s tastes and how *gussied up* you want it:
a handful of olives, sliced
mushrooms (either fresh or dried…I HATE those canned/jarred slimy things)
Cheese (Parmesan, mozzarella, Fontana, feta…whatever you like)
Tomatoes, cut into chunks (I prefer Roma tomatoes) OR Dried Tomatoes--minced (the ones packed in oil do well)
Toasted Slivered Almonds (my oldest son added this…nice touch if you can afford it)
Pine Nuts
Broccoli or other veggies
Snow Peas

Procedures

1. Cook Pasta, drain and set aside.

2. Toss onions and meat into good-sized frying pan, skillet or wok and sauté until it meat is done and onions are transparent. Add everything else (except cheese and fresh tomatoes) and sautée about 5 minutes more.

3. Chase cat off of counter.

4. Toss sautéed stuff into large bowl with pasta, throw in cheese and chunked fresh tomatoes

5. Toss well, serve hot in bowls with a good sized chunk of garlic bread, if you have that.

6. Make sure the little ones get their fair share… and put a bit in a bowl for the cat so it won’t jump on the table.

Comments

I usually don't measure a darn thing which makes for interesting results. But I did raise seven kids and they all loved this. Remember everything is to your taste, adjust, add or subtract as necessary! This was an end-of-the-month-and-we-are-broke recipe.

Now, for a Fancier dish, toss everything together, put in a casserole dish and top with cheese and Italian bread crumbs and broil just until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are a bit browned.

All my kids can make this dish. Son Daniel has made it with Ramen noodles and added sweet red chili sauce (Asian cooking mainstay) and 3 tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter. Nice and spicy and it rocks! Thai noodles!
Son Gregory adds a cup of shredded carrots to the sautée and omits the butter and uses low fat cheese(he is on diet).

Absinthe
03-07-2009, 07:25 PM
3. Chase cat off of counter.

How true!! :D

Meat aside, that sounds exactly like my spécialité that everyone asks me the recipe for. I reply that there's no recipe, I just improvise every time.

Once in a while I do it with tuna fish (instead of meat). Adding a lot of herbs (basil and parsley, mainly), takes away the smell and makes it delicious.

http://www.coles.com.au/images/cmi/library/recipe/large/tomato_and_tuna_pasta.jpg

Olives and capers also go marvelously with this sauce. ;)

Barreldriver
03-07-2009, 08:51 PM
I can make poor man's special it includes two low grade cheapo hamburger's chopped up and put into cheapo Ramen with garlic salt and Ragu.

I can also make eggs over meadium with bacon, sausage, homefries, and I'm working on my corned beef hash. Can't master biscuits and sawmill gravy yet.

Lady L
03-08-2009, 01:25 AM
I can make poor man's special it includes two low grade cheapo hamburger's chopped up and put into cheapo Ramen with garlic salt and Ragu.

Ewwww...:p

I can also make eggs over meadium with bacon, sausage, homefries, and I'm working on my corned beef hash. Can't master biscuits and sawmill gravy yet.

Sounds good- I bet Gwynyvyr can tell you how to do biscuits and gravy.:) You know, I don't know if you know how to make " grease gravy " but its simple enough- sausage or bacon grease- flour, water, butter, milk, salt and pepper.

I don't know the measurements though...but I'm sure it can be easily found. Its great on biscuits. And, once you figure the biscuits out you should get it down pat so don't give up...I'd say gravy can simply be hit and miss though.

Speaking of all this here's a couple websites for me to share with ya'll ...

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/index1.htm

http://www.5dollardinners.com/

Atlas
03-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Hmmm I'm waiting for Mrs Lyfing to invite me home for a dinner. :p

Barreldriver
03-08-2009, 03:26 AM
Ewwww...:p

Sounds good- I bet Gwynyvyr can tell you how to do biscuits and gravy.:) You know, I don't know if you know how to make " grease gravy " but its simple enough- sausage or bacon grease- flour, water, butter, milk, salt and pepper.

I don't know the measurements though...but I'm sure it can be easily found. Its great on biscuits. And, once you figure the biscuits out you should get it down pat so don't give up...I'd say gravy can simply be hit and miss though.

Speaking of all this here's a couple websites for me to share with ya'll ...

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/index1.htm

http://www.5dollardinners.com/

Grease Gravy is Sawmill Gravy :D

Lady L
03-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Tonight I tried something new. :) And, it was absolutely great so heres what I did-

About a pound of hamburger meat, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce, half can of " meatloaf sauce " (I prefer Hunts) or tomato sauce & few good squirts of ketchup. Salt, pepper, And bread crumbs- ( or crackers ) ( NO EGG )

You need to pour about 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs in, this is for the meat to stick together, if your "balls" don't want to form balls you need a few more bread crumbs.

Simply squish all that together just like for meatloaf- pat out meat balls and cook in a glass oven pan. 375 degrees for about 55 mins. What I thought made them really good- cause I like them saucy - is right before I took them out of the oven-I covered them in the rest of the Hunts Meatloaf sauce. :)

I thought they were cute, and easier than messing with a whole meatloaf! Walah! Meat Loaf Meat Balls- don't forget the mashed potatoes! :D:thumb001:

Barreldriver
03-11-2009, 02:44 AM
I can cook the leather of my boots, fate knows that's what I'll most likely end up doing before long if things don't change.

YggsVinr
03-11-2009, 02:58 AM
I'm really bad with remembering the specifics of recipes or following them, really. I kind of just go with it, which generally works pretty well for me. Many of the recipes I know are French Canadian, here are a few:

Pâté chinois:

Boil seven medium sized potatoes (1 teaspoon of salt added to water)
Chop up half an onion
Cook a pound of ground beef and chopped onion in a pan
Mash up said potatoes
Place the cooked ground beef in a layer at the bottom of a casserole dish
Place a layer of corn (one can) on top of the ground beef
Place the mashed potato atop the corn
Put it in the oven for about 30 - 40 mins at the magic 350 and you should have yourself some pâté chinois.

Make this and a poor university student eats for a week :P

Galettes de sarrasin (buckwheat pancakes):
Cup and a half of buckwheat
A cup of milk
One egg
Half a cup of baking powder
Half a cup of water

Cook them like regular pancakes but they are best cooked on a cast-iron pan or directly on a woodstove. They don't tend to turn out right otherwise.

When they're done throw some molasses on top and you have yourself some galettes de sarrasin.

One tourtière (because its great all year round, not just for holidays :P):
Put a pound or so of ground beef (teaspoon of salt, half of pepper), sliced onion (1), and a half cup of water into a pan and let it cook until the ground beef is properly cooked.
Put ground beef into a pie crust and let it cook in the oven for 20 to 30 mins at 350 depending on how horrible your oven is.

Boeuf bourguignon:

Brown a pound of beef cubes in a pan. Once browned place it in a large cooking dish.
Add beef stock, half a cup of red wine, a teaspoon of salt and half of pepper, two tablespoons of flour, and teaspoon of olive oil.
Allow it to cook for an hour and a half to 2 hours at 350.
When it looks like it doesn't have much longer to go add a cup of sliced mushrooms, a sliced carrot, two sliced onions into the mix.

The above are pretty much just the crappy estimates of a university student who can't quite exactly remember what her grandmother or mother taught her to do. I suck at a remembering recipes as I mentioned above.

And my specialty, molasses and peanut butter:
Take two slices of bread and cover them in peanut butter
Cut the slices into four
Pour a bowl of molasses (I have been informed that not everyone knows the wonders of Fancy molasses...use this instead of cooking molasses for obvious reasons)
Proceed to dip the bread in the molasses

or alternatively for lunches at school:
Take two slices of bread (you can put peanut butter on them or not, works just as well without)
Smother in molasses
Put the two slices together and you have yourself a nice molasses sandwich :thumb001: A lunch that most French Canadians have been mocked for in school by Anglos who think molasses is gross. Yet they've recently discovered that molasses is actually good for you! Who's laughing now!? :cool: You must place your molasses sandwich in a brown paper bag for later lunch time or recess consumption for optimum effect :tongue

I also make a pretty good chili:

Add olive oil, red vinegar, four cloves of garlic, half a chopped up onion, a cup of sliced mushrooms, two cans of beans, two cans of crushed tomatoes to a big pot. Set it to boil at a low temperature.
Once its boiling add a pound or a pound and a half of raw ground beef.
Add a cup of water (and from then on as needed. If it needs water it'll start to bubble up like crazy and pop you one in the eye, and who wants chili in the eye, anyway? :p)
Over the span of an hour of boiling add about a cup or so of chili powder. Moreso towards the end so that the flavour won't boil out of it.

Fortis in Arduis
03-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Khichari

It is the yoga practicioners' mainstay, suitable for young children, the infirm, and the elderly too.

It is basically baby food - for adults. I survived on this for a whole month once. I looks like baby food too.

You need an equal amount of moong dal (mung beans) and basmati rice.

Bring to the boil and simmer until the dal have become silky, adding some finely chopped vegetables towards the end.

Add spices.

This could be mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, tumeric, even chilli which one would fry in oil or butter ghee for a while, in that order, because tumeric is easily heat damaged and one needs to make the mustard seeds pop before they are ready.

Mustard seeds, cumin seeds and turmeric are the absolute basics here, but why not European flavours? Some people have plain khichari, just dal and rice.

Sugar, lemon juice, fresh coriander, salt, black pepper can be added last.

Aromatic spices can go in towards the end too, but I never bother with cloves and cinnamon and all that jazz... A tomato is a pleasant addition or a few nuts, toasted desiccated coconut or fresh grated coconut. Toasted cashews, almonds.

Most people find this food very easy to digest. The flavours are well balanced and so it is satisfying to the palate. One needs to have sweet, salt, sour, astringent, pungent, and bitter flavours in every meal.

One can use other dal in place of moong dal, and maybe cut the cooking time.

This can be done in a crock-pot / slow cooker as well.

Moong dal is the best. Some people are good at pressure cooking too.

I have asked the guys here to just give me fruit and khichari, made with vegetable oil, as I am trying out no dairy, no gluten for a while.

Brynhild
04-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I have two easy and yummy recipes that I'd like to share:

1) Creamy Potato Bake

You will need 5 medium to large potatoes - peeled and sliced
Bacon - cubed
600ml cream
teaspoon garlic
Salt to taste
Sweet Chili Sauce
Grated or sliced cheese - as much or as little as you like and that applies to all the ingredients

Method: Parboil sliced potatoes for about 10 minutes. While they are boiling mix Bacon, Cream, Garlic, Salt and sauce in a bowl. Line first layer of potato slices in a baking dish, pour bacon mix over and add the cheese over it. Repeat once more. Bake in a preheated oven of 180C for about 45 minutes.

2) Creamy Vegetable Soup

Boil a saucepan of water. When water is boiled place these vegetables in a steamer on top of saucepan:
Potato
Pumpkin
Onion
Carrot
Zucchini

Steam vegetables just long enough to cook (potato first, then pumpkin and carrot, last of all onion and zucchini), then put them all into a blender. Once blended, return to saucepan - use leftover vegetable stock and thin the soup to desired consistency. Add cream and salt to taste (or not for salt), stir for a few minutes and serve. Great with fresh bread or mini bread pieces. This recipe is probably a variation of Vichyssoise, but I added those vegetables of my choice.

The beauty of both these recipes is you can make them however and how much you want!

Enjoy!

Barreldriver
04-17-2009, 04:13 PM
I can make a killer grilled cheese, my favorite thing to make and eat now :D

Skandi
04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
I want to put something up here, but I cook everything from scratch, don't use recipes so writing them down is a bit awkward. I also make sure that all of my meals come to less than £1.50 per person, which can make for some interesting combinations!

Here is an old English recipe

Bread and bacon roll

Make about 400g of bread dough whatever type you like really

basic bread;
300g flour of you choice, but it should be "strong"
2 tbs sugar
1tbs mild vinegar
3tbs oil
Yeast (read the packet) I use dried 2 tsp
Pinch salt

mix all the dry ingredients together with the oil, add the yeast and kneed well, untill the dough becomes elastic. Put it somewhere warm until doubled in size (rye won't swell that much)

1 Onion
2 cloves Garlic
Mixed herbs
Pepper
As much bacon as the budget allows

take the onion, thinly slice, and fry slowly until the onion is just beginning to brown.
Add the garlic fry for another two minutes, add the bacon and cook through.

Roll out the bread dough into a rectangle make it about 1cm thick, spread the mixture over this and sprinkle with the herbs and pepper.
Roll up and bake in a moderate oven until well browned

Serve with lot's of gravy.

ladybright
04-21-2009, 03:16 PM
No recipe easiest potato salad
Yellow potatoes are best but red or whites that are not russets work fine.
Bacon(preferably thick cut but any kind will work)
White/yellow Onion
Green onion(optional)
Good quality apple cider vinegar(important that it is not the heinz cheepo stuff)

This stays good for a week so do not be afraid of a big batch. Quantities are very adjustable to taste and what you have on hand.

I take a large pot and boil the potatoes in their skins(appox 3-4#) for about. Meanwhile I chop 2-3 onions and 8-12 oz bacon. I cook them together with fresh pepper and drain some but not all of the fat. I drain the potatoes and add 1-2 tablespoons of cider vinegar per pound. I chop it up with a spoon and add the onions & bacon. If I have green onions I add them now and garnish with more.

It is tasty hot or cold. It is dairy, egg, gluten free for people on restricted diets.

Frigga
10-18-2009, 12:51 AM
This is not a thread for recipes, hence it being in the Society sub-forum. My question to you is, can you cook? Can you take a selection of whole ingredients and make a meal, with nothing pre-made? If you cannot, how do you feel about your skill level of cooking? If you can, how do you feel about a society as a whole that does not know how to cook?

Wölfin
10-18-2009, 12:55 AM
I recently decided to learn how to cook from scratch. I can make certain basic easy things already of course. For now I want to try starting with Italian cuisine since most of it is tasty and at first relatively simple. Plus I live near my town's Little Italy so I can get all the fresh ingredients I need :)

Damião de Góis
10-18-2009, 01:02 AM
No and i never bothered to learn but i should. Maybe one day...

Absinthe
10-18-2009, 01:17 AM
My question to you is, can you cook?

Yes, sir, I can boogie :thumb001:

Can you take a selection of whole ingredients and make a meal, with nothing pre-made?

Yes, although I avoid preparing overly elaborate meals because I also usually don't like them. Fresh ingredients and easy to make meals are usually my choice.

If you cannot, how do you feel about your skill level of cooking?

I can, but I usually won't. :( I love cooking but sometimes I lack the time and/or energy to do it. I would certainly love to be cooking more and to expand my skills with more recipes and ideas.

If you can, how do you feel about a society as a whole that does not know how to cook?

That's horrible. How can one be healthy and self-sufficient if one cannot cook a meal? What are you gonna do, feed on junk food your whole life? I can't even imagine the psychosocial implications :(

Piparskeggr
10-18-2009, 01:20 AM
I am one of the best cooks I know.

Anyone who can't cook; don't understand why they'd place themselves at the mercy of others ;)

Jamt
10-18-2009, 02:02 AM
Yes. I fry in a pan anything, the timing is sometimes good, other times not so. Its all about the timing I think.

Absinthe
10-18-2009, 02:07 AM
Yes. I fry in a pan anything,
Pyttipanna is the only thing you can cook? :p

Black Turlogh
10-18-2009, 03:01 AM
Without take-away I'd have starved years ago.

Rachel
10-18-2009, 03:06 AM
I can not cook and i feel pretty horrible about it but at the same time i am going to school and work full time so i understand my need for roman noodles ... ill eventually learn to cook when i am a little more settled in life.

Piparskeggr
10-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Tomorrow, I'll start a thread in the "Home and Hearth" section...cooking tips, easy recipes and the like.

Humans should have a broad range of skills..."specialization is for insects."

Mesrine
10-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Can You Cook?

Of course I can. I'm not a woman. :D

The Lawspeaker
10-18-2009, 03:19 AM
Well both my father and my mother were great cooks. Shame that I can't cook but I am willing to learn.

Wölfin
10-18-2009, 03:24 AM
Mmm.. A Frenchman that can't cook- are you sure you are really French ? The majority of all great French chefs were and are male btw.

That is exactly what he is saying. His reply meant that of course he could cook, implying women can't ;)

Frigga
10-18-2009, 04:20 AM
To answer my own thread, yes indeed I can cook, and am proud of that. I am proud that my mother and grandmother have taught me how to prepare food, and bake bread and make scrumptious pies and other tasty baked goods. I am able to look at a cupboard of canned and dried goods and make a wholesome meal. I have always known how to cook.

As far as a society as a whole that does not know how to cook, frankly, I'm quite concerned. It feels as if the ones who are trying to dumb us down intellectually, whoever they may be, I'm not qualified to try and name them, want us to be completely dependent on the system. They want to tell us how to think, and tell us what we should eat. We spend billions of dollars on marketing, processing, packaging, and transport of food every year. There is so much waste because modern culture has been primed for the last one hundred years that technology is our friend, and that we need to allow the corporations to teach us how to live, think and eat. If we're not careful, we are going to be eating Soylent Green before we know it.

For those who do not know how to cook, try this the next time you are in the grocercy store. Completely avoid the middle aisles, and only shop around the periphery. You will find fresh foods in this section. Find what looks appealing to your eye, and try to cook something from that. You can get dairy, meats, and fruits and vegetables from the outside edges of the stores, and are able to make wholesome meals from these items. If we care about preservation, we should be preserving the ability to fend for ourselves, and that means knowing how to cook!

Loxias
10-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Yes, most definitely. I love cooking, and have always been interested in it. Whenever I have time, I'll spend it preparing myself some delicious dinner, sometimes experimenting with new ways, new combinations, new ingredients.
It is often cheaper and more healthy than buying already prepared food too. And time can always be found (like, instead of being on the internet, hehehe).

Svarog
10-18-2009, 09:17 AM
I was kind of forced to learn how to cook being thrown on my own when i was 14, sure my mom sent me lunch like once a week but she did not have time to do more and beside, food traveling from her to get to me in the another town not something i would expect with an excitement, so yeah, i hated cooking and started with like eggs and meat, eating outside was too expensive so i started just throwing all the crap i'd have in a fridge on my meals, 'making up' recepies, was a real pain in the ass

Later on tho, i start doing really good job imo, i actually start enjoying food that i make so i got to more complicated stuff and today it is pretty much my passion as gay as it sounds, even when i came back home i continued cooking and i wholeheartedly enjoy it and can prepare pretty much whatever, and am always looking for a new stuff to try and cook tho lately i got really lazy having mom around again, she even makes me coffee not to mention meals haha moms rocks!

Phlegethon
10-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Of course I can cook, being a bachelor and haaving grown up as a keychain child. Unfortunately I have a very small kitchen now and as I only cook for myself the more extravagant meals get disqualified. But in the proper kitchen I can do miracles.

Bard
10-18-2009, 11:38 AM
I cannot cook. Pretty sad because italian food is one of the best in the world, but maybe I will learn one day.

Absinthe
10-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Without take-away I'd have starved years ago.

No and i never bothered to learn but i should. Maybe one day...

I can not cook and i feel pretty horrible about it but at the same time i am going to school and work full time so i understand my need for roman noodles ... ill eventually learn to cook when i am a little more settled in life.

I cannot cook. Pretty sad because italian food is one of the best in the world, but maybe I will learn one day.

You people! :eek: I am very disappointed in you! :eusa_doh:

It is not just unhealthy to order food or eat ready-made stuff from the super market, but also extremely costly...

When you are a student, like Rachel, I am sure you could very well use that money into something else other than expensive meals...

I mean, I'm not talking about elaborate cooking here. I understand how it may intimidate you so you may wanna start small.

Can you hard boil an egg or two?
Can you throw pasta into boiling water and drain it after 10 minutes?
Can you pull a delicious salad from scratch, just by chopping some fresh vegetables?
Can you throw a stake of fish in the oven or the pan and just let it cook itself until it's done?

There you have it, you're already half-way there ;)

Next thing you know you'll be making some easy to make soup, a pasta salad, an omelette, a simple risotto, etc. :thumbs up

It's not hard, you can pull a simple meal in less than 20 minutes and after the second or third time, it literally cooks itself. :wink

Skandi
10-18-2009, 11:59 AM
I cook, at the moment I cook for three as they both agree it's better if i cook and they wash up :) I cook everything from the start ingredients. And they are bought as simply as possible, i.e. bread is bought as flour, chickens are whole, veg are exactly as they acme from the ground. I did this even when I was working full time and at uni full time. Remember those of you who say you have no time, the more you practice the faster you get!
The only time when I don't bother is when I'm only feeding me, then I really can't be bothered.
One thing I don't get is that neither of my housemates will even bother asking me what is for dinner, until it turns up on the table. I appreciate their trust but still, I want to know what's for dinner, no actually I want to control what is for dinner

Inese
10-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Yes i can cook , i have learned it from my mother and my grandmother but i am not very good in complicated meals!! :rolleyes: Okay i can cook most meals of course , but very complicated food is diffcult ---- Tiramisu or making the sauce Bechamel for Lasagne. Hm but i cant barbecue because that is the meal my father always makes and he dont allow me or my mother to make it

Cato
10-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I can cook as good as any single man can cook. :P

Octothorpe
10-18-2009, 03:39 PM
I do ALL the cooking at my house! I love to cook. It's like showing the people you love how much you care by putting something tasty and pleasing to the senses on the table for them.

It's also part of the division of labor the wife and I came up with when we got married. She's a businesswoman and has a great sense for numbers, so she is the one who pays the bills and keeps track of our money, investments, et cetera. And that's a good thing--I can add up a column of numbers three times and manage to get three different answers! Probably a mild case of dyscalcula. On the other hand, although she CAN cook, she'd rather not, as she finds it a bore. So, the kitchen is my territory and my responsibility. Tonight, the meal will be whole-wheat penne with either (as I make both) an organic garlic red sauce or mushroom alfredo, with pan-withered spinach (in bacon grease, of course!) and fresh bread. Bon appetit! :)

Tabiti
10-18-2009, 03:42 PM
No and I'm not interested in cooking. The most things I eat are not really cooked...
My future man is going to die of starving :D

Loxias
10-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Tabiti, find yourself a man who enjoys cooking, and you'll just have to wash the dishes. :D

Bard
10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Imho being a great chef is a good way to impress and convince a woman, speaking of stable relations, not a "just one night fun".

Tabiti
10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Imho being a great chef is a good way to impress and convince a woman, speaking of stable relations, not a "just one night fun".
Doesn't work for me because my weird diet;)

Absinthe
10-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Imho being a great chef is a good way to impress and convince a woman,

True! :love: :thumb001:

Bard
10-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Doesn't work for me because my weird diet;)

Are you vegan or something similiar?

Graham
10-18-2009, 04:33 PM
I can cook a wee bit, But a prefer chippys and the microwave.

Skandi
10-18-2009, 04:36 PM
I can cook a wee bit, But a prefer chippys and the microwave.

A true Scot.

Murphy
10-18-2009, 04:40 PM
My mummy does all the cooking for me :).

Regards,
Eóin.

Tabiti
10-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Are you vegan or something similiar?
Not "totally vegetarian" but something similar - no sugar, no white flour, no wrong combination of foods...

Bari
10-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes, because of feminism i am forced to learn it. All Albanian women i talk to refuse making all the food:mad:

Oh well, i can make lasagne, spaghetti with various meat and sauces, chicken tandoori, burek, Lakruar/pizza, taco, pies, cakes(ematur,revani me kos,..), kos(yoghurt made by goat milk), kabuni(side dish with raisins..), and real Dukagjin grape juice with sugar and mustard added:)

I worked in kitchen some years ago(cleaning dishes..), and the chef learned me to make various dishes which i still have recipes for and still make.

Lars
10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Yes. My mother taught me how to make simple Danish dishes. We covered hygiene, food storage (dry, fridge or freezer), cooking temperature etc.

The last six months I lived at home she forced me to make meals to my parents two to three times a week, and I'm very grateful for that.

Tabiti
10-18-2009, 05:05 PM
yoghurt made by goat milk
My grandmother tried to make a yoghurt from goat milk once. It was more like kefir - too liquid.

Sarmata
10-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Yes I can cook, it's becouse I spend my live almost without my mother. One of my favorite dishes are Polish "gołąbki" (http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/maincourses/r/StuffedCabbage.htm):thumb001::D

Germanicus
10-18-2009, 08:03 PM
I can cook.........i have'nt been a Roman General all my life..:)

WinterMoon
10-19-2009, 05:04 AM
I cook almost solely from scratch, and almost always have. Even those who have hated me the most have said of me that I can take a cupboard full of absolutely nothing at all and make a meal.

Guapo
10-19-2009, 05:14 AM
Yeah, slaughtering then spit-roasting a pig, barbequeing etc.

ikki
10-19-2009, 11:55 AM
moving out caused quite a mental dislocation regarding making my own food... causing me to forget how to do it. Weird, as i was preparing everything on my own since age 16.... and then with my own household didnt make ANY.

Now, some 8 years after... im finally remembering what i knew 8-10 years ago about cooking. Guess i can be quite dogmatic about insignificant details, like movements from a table to another... two halfstepps and turn around... specific tools... specific twitches.... anything missing from this perfect setup.... and its just "impossible" to do :p

la bombe
10-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Yes, I cook. I have a big family and I'm responsible for all of the meals in our home.

I definitely think every adult should know how to. It's a basic life-skill and it's not even difficult. So many people convince themselves that they can't cook, when many meals can be prepared with not-so fancy ingredients and simple steps.

Comte Arnau
10-22-2009, 01:15 AM
If by cooking we mean surviving with a more or less decent meal, yes, I can. I agree with La Bombe in that the basics should be known by all adults.

Barreldriver
10-22-2009, 04:34 AM
I can cook basics. I can cook fresh picked green beens, with fresh picked onions mixed in (maybe some tomaters lol, all grown by us), I can fry eggs up, and cook meats. That's about it. Nothing fancy, I cannot bake or do any delicate dishes.

Albion
01-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Can You Cook?

Depends what I'm cooking. I can cook meat dishes, fish and rice quite well but I don't do any of that fancy French stuff :p
(One problem with French food in the UK: its associated with small servings :D )

Querubín
01-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, and i like it but, my mun prefer cooks for me. I do nothing at home, like a baby :D.

Blossom
01-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I love cooking and specially, doing sweet stuff...gingerbreads, coconut bombs, biscuits, 3 chocolates cake, muffins...love it.
I also cook meals, like fried chicken with honey, rice and chicken with lima sås, croquettes with cheese and ham, vegetables...

I love cooking.

SaxonCeorl
01-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I make a great bowl of cereal; I'm very skilled at creating the perfect milk to cereal ratio.

Querubín
01-04-2011, 09:44 PM
I love cooking and specially, doing sweet stuff...gingerbreads, coconut bombs, biscuits, 3 chocolates cake, muffins...love it.
I also cook meals, like fried chicken with honey, rice and chicken with lima sås, croquettes with cheese and ham, vegetables...

I love cooking.

My mother also love cocking sweets.
You will be a good wife because men, we love the food. Is the best that a woman cooks for you:thumbs up

Brynhild
01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I hope that after 18 years of parenting that I would know how. I made just about all the pureed baby food from scratch, cooked it in bulk (I love my blender) and froze in ice cubes.

I can cook pasta dishes, roast meat and baked vegies, , along with hand-made gravy from the pan dishes (although I confess to cheating and buying the gravy packs :P) whip up salads with fresh ingredients - I also add hard-boiled eggs and cheese (Feta's a great one to us), cook stir-fries and my cakes and desserts in particular are always from scratch. Fruit smoothies and milkshakes are also a big hit in this house.

If I have any one weakness and that's cooking fish. It's either overdone or not long enough. One day, I hope to overcome this as I'm always willing to try out a new dish and expand on my culinary skills.

Blossom
01-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I hope that after 18 years of parenting that I would know how. I made just about all the pureed baby food from scratch, cooked it in bulk (I love my blender) and froze in ice cubes.

I can cook pasta dishes, roast meat and baked vegies, , along with hand-made gravy from the pan dishes (although I confess to cheating and buying the gravy packs :P) whip up salads with fresh ingredients - I also add hard-boiled eggs and cheese (Feta's a great one to us), cook stir-fries and my cakes and desserts in particular are always from scratch. Fruit smoothies and milkshakes are also a big hit in this house.

If I have any one weakness and that's cooking fish. It's either overdone or not long enough. One day, I hope to overcome this as I'm always willing to try out a new dish and expand on my culinary skills.

Oh! Cooking fish is easy and delicious! Peel off the fish (take off the skin), deep into egg, and then on breadcrumbs and take a pan, put some oil (3spoons) and cook it as always.

If you're going to try it tell me the results! Oh, I recommend you to but some salt and dill on the liquid egg, so you give more taste to the dish.

Raikaswinþs
01-04-2011, 11:21 PM
worked about a year and a half as a hire chef for Blue Arrow. I say I can rock my macaronni and cheese ;P

ikki
01-04-2011, 11:39 PM
okie heres a quick recipe, and cheap and so forth. And besides, the person you are serving it to has never eaten such a thing :D

Cook spagetti.
Toss the soft (mostly waterfree) spagetti in a frying pan, add egg(s). Fry
Boil up tomato puree with some water and perhaps some spices. (liquidity like ketchup, about)

Serve egg-tangled spagettis and spicy hot tomato sauce :p

All done in 9 minutes
Cost/portion: Maybe 40c

Yes, served this to a guest, when really squeezed for time, supposed to meet some friends, got delayed, and not enough time for even fastfood. :) ...and later that evening was told i am seductive.. haha!

Guapo
01-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Do bears shit in the woods?

Piparskeggr
01-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Foodstuffs: 3# chicken breasts - boneless, skinless, trimmed of visible fat, cut into 2" chunks, 3 Roma tomatoes & 2 yellow tomatoes - trimmed and diced, 1 lg red onion - peeled and coarse chopped, 4 stalks celery with leaves - coarse chopped, 6 cloves garlic - peeled and crushed, 1 T each fresh oregano, sweet basil and parsley - chopped, 1/2 c well-crumbled feta cheese, plus salt, black pepper, sweet paprika, onion & garlic powders, olive oil, butter, Ouzo, red wine, red wine & Balsamic vinegars, corn starch and water as needed

Method: Put celery, tomatoes and crushed garlic in a large bowl, stir in the oregano, basil and parsley. Drizzle with a little olive oil and 2 T ea red wine and Balsamic vinegars. Stir well and set aside.

In a heavy large heavy saucepan, melt 2 T butter with 2 T olive oil. Sweat the red onion over high heat for 5 - 6 minutes, lower heat and let simmer on med-low for a bit.

Preheat oven to 400F and lightly oil a large baking pan. Toss the chicken chunks in a large bowl with 1 T ea onion & garlic powders and paprika, 1 t ea salt and black pepper, 3 T olive oil and 2 T red wine. Put into the baking pan, stirring to make sure the chicken, spices and oil are even. Cover with foil and put into the hot oven for 20 minutes.

Turn the heat back up under the onions and add in the celery-tomato mix, juices included. Cook on high heat for 10 minutes, stirring so nothing scorches or sticks. Stir in 1 shot of Ouzo and turn to med-low heat, simmer until the chicken timer pings.

Take the baking dish out and uncover it, turn oven up to 450F. Using a slotted spoon, spread the tomato mix evenly over the chicken, reserving the vegetable juices in the pan. Use a baster to draw off 1/2 the juices from the baking pan into the saucepan. Sprinkle the Feta over the whole. Put back into oven for 10 - 15 minutes, until the Feta is starting to turn color a little.

After removing from the oven, recover and let it sit about 10 minutes.

Mix 3 T corn starch with cold water to make a loose paste. Bring the pan juices to a boil and whisk in the starch to make a smooth sauce of light texture, about 3 - 4 minutes.

Serve with long grain, and wild rice, which has been cooked in Portobella and Porcini mushroom stock, and lightly wilted spinach, escarole and endive, which has been dressed with lemon juice and a little fresh cracked black pepper.

To drink?

What is it you like?

We had Cabernet Sauvignon.

Bloodeagle
01-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Yeppers, I can cook anything with a good recipe in hand.
Fish and seafood dishes are my favorites.

Grumpy Cat
01-05-2011, 04:29 AM
I love to cook and I can, very well.

Daos
01-05-2011, 05:25 AM
I think cooking is a basic skill, and I find it ridiculous that there are people out there that don't know how to cook, especially women!

Grumpy Cat
01-05-2011, 05:30 AM
I think cooking is a basic skill, and I find it ridiculous that there are people out there that don't know how to cook, especially women!

I agree. I think not teaching your kids to cook is neglect.

Plus, food is as much a part of your heritage as your language, culture, or race, so from a preservationalist standpoint learning to cook is a must.

Peasant
01-05-2011, 08:51 AM
I am a microwave chef.

jerney
01-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Not really, no. Every once in awhile I will try to cook something, but whatever I make mostly turns out shitty so I kind of just give up.

poiuytrewq0987
01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
I normally can cook dishes from Serbia but I've been neglecting that since I prefer to make Mexican food now.

poiuytrewq0987
01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Not really, no. Every once in awhile I will try to cook something, but whatever I make mostly turns out shitty so I kind of just give up.

A typical American characteristic. :D You might want to take up Greek cooking classes since now you're going to live in Greece and your boyfriend won't be happy if you can't cook him Greek food!! :p

jerney
01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
A typical American characteristic. :D You might want to take up Greek cooking classes since now you're going to live in Greece and your boyfriend won't be happy if you can't cook him Greek food!! :p

It's not really an American thing, but more typical of many western females of my generation.

Anyway, I'm not opposed to learning to cook, I'm just not good at it and that discourages me. I'll at least learn by the time I have kids

Nglund
01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
I know how to cook spicy chicken and baked beans yay! :D

Groenewolf
01-05-2011, 02:17 PM
My question to you is, can you cook?

Yes I can cook. Not something really fancy, but simple meals can be done.

Cato
01-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I can cook, when I want to.

safinator
02-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Nope but i should considering my condition.

gold_fenix
02-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Yes, i know to cook

Nairi
02-21-2012, 12:42 AM
I am a very good cook,Armenian men generally don't go close to the kitchen and girls are being taught to clook since teen age, so it is up to us to cook full meal but being in the West this is my best part of adaptation since lots is being shared hereincluding cooking :p :D

Riki
02-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Yes I can cook.Its a hobby.Myself alone in the kitchen,a bottle of red wine from the Alentejo Region,metal playing out loud.And for that hour or so the worries of the day are long gone.(And the Wife and Daughter are very happy with this:)).

.... how do you feel about a society as a whole that does not know how to cook?

Never thought about it.
But a good case study would be the English Society.IMO

Leadchucker
02-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Yes I can cook, do it everyday and enjoy it. I like variety from a simple sandwich to whatever piques my interest that day. It could be German, Cajun, Spanish,Thai,Indian,French or a fusion of any cuisune. I don't measure anything unless making bake good. My kitchen looks like a typhoon has hit it after I cook a meal though, neatness in not a strong point wehn cooking.

If the ingrediants can be found, I'll give a dish a go. They worse that could happen is it don't come out right.

Veneda
02-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Yes I can. I don't need help in my kitchen ;)

riverman
02-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Yes, generally simple meals, though, but I do make my own spaghetti sauces for instance, and various rice dishes. I prefer to cook meals from scratch but often I don't because of cost/convenience. As far as basic meals go I make a mean pizza, either pesto or red sauce, soups, chowder etc. :wink

:thumb001:

Ashley
02-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Yes! If you can't cook you aren't a real woman! It's what's wrong with our society. These days if you can cook you are looked down on by the very women who have lost that skill. They're jealous if anything. I'd be ashamed if I couldn't make my future husband a traditional meal. It builds a special bond between husband and wife which is so lacking among today's couples. A woman is closest to a man when she fills him up! It keeps him wanting to fill her up! :wink

heathen_son
02-24-2012, 02:40 AM
I'm a young single bloke, but can cook a few dishes as I have come to need them. They never taste as good as my mum makes them but I guess they never should.

Omlettes
Stew
Full English
Chilli-Con-Carne
Spaghetti Bolognese
Sunday Roast

I get by fairly well on this, mixed with quick pasta from a supermarket or the odd take-away. Coupled with the morning porridge and fruit throughout the day, I'd say I'm well fed.

I think the next thing for me to try is baking my own bread. A friend baked a bread roll in my oven to use as part of a ritual offering later that day. It seemed so easy to do, and smelt so tasty when it came out of the oven.

As for society, I absolutely agree, food is part of your culture and part of a healthy lifestyle. To lose this is a bad thing.

For a bloke, going off into the woods, setting up camp, starting a fire and roasting somethings flesh reconnects us with a primal sense of "Ugg...me man, me make fire, me eat thing I kill".

And women...they are the heart of the family mealtime, keeping everyone healthy and happy (and a great opportunity for the family to get together and talk about the day - No TV!).

Also, her ability in, or attitude to cooking is something I consider in the girls I date. Infact, I once broke up with a girl simply because she refused to cook for me. It was going so well up to that point. Mega turn-off :(

So girls, if you're chasing after a man, make sure you have a signature dish or two up your sleeve ready for when you catch him. That way, he'll definately want to stay caught :thumb001:

Sabinae
02-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Yes! If you can't cook you aren't a real woman! It's what's wrong with our society. These days if you can cook you are looked down on by the very women who have lost that skill. They're jealous if anything. I'd be ashamed if I couldn't make my future husband a traditional meal. It builds a special bond between husband and wife which is so lacking among today's couples. A woman is closest to a man when she fills him up! It keeps him wanting to fill her up! :wink

If that's the rule...then...there are a lot/many exceptions...:D Humans are a lot more complex than that.

Anyhow... yes, I can cook. I'm not a chef, but I can be pretty neat with recipes I practiced more often. I like it, and it is a rule I "eat" by. Been learning it from the women in my family, they all cook. There is no such thing as fast food/pre-made in our homes... Mother doesn't appreciate the taste of those at all, as an example. She is all for "home-made".

If i'd choose to order, for instance, a pizza(although I can make my own), or, if I'd go hang out with some friends out town, in some dinning place, it is because of need to vary, or try out something different, rather than my own cooking. But it is not a rule, and it is not frequent. I guess one can also blame it on the need I have to know what exactly is in my plate, and how that was processed. :) Keen on keeping healthy habbits :)

Yes, I usually make use of whole ingredients, carefully selected and bought. As for society not cooking... Well, I'm worried health wise. Our bodies are strong, but we shouldn't exaggerate with the pressure we put on them: from the air we breathe in, food intake, stress, everyday lifestyle, messed up sleeping patterns... All of those might have unpleasant consequences on long term.

riverman
02-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Yesyou can't cook you aren't a real woman!! If It's what's wrong with our society. These days if you can cook you are looked down on by the very women who have lost that skill. They're jealous if anything. I'd be ashamed if I couldn't make my future husband a traditional meal. It builds a special bond between husband and wife which is so lacking among today's couples. A woman is closest to a man when she fills him up! It keeps him wanting to fill her up! :wink

A woman who can't cook is like a car without wheels. :D

rhiannon
02-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Yes.

Most people in my family can cook.

My husband, OTOH, is a NIGHTMARE in the kitchen.

Thus, he is booted out of it, indefinitely! :)

riverman
02-25-2012, 06:43 AM
^ I think women in general are better cooks than men, they just seem to have a knack for it.

Sabinae
02-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Females of the species are also a lot more dangerous...
or "more deadly than the male" as Rudyard Kipling put it :)

Don't be blinded by prejudice... some of the best cooks/chefs I've known are male. It is hard to evaluate "the general" these days :laugh:

Grumpy Cat
02-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Don't be blinded by prejudice... some of the best cooks/chefs I've known are male.

Same here. My friend I mentioned who recently got hired as the Prime Minister's chef is male (he's actually an ex, too, but we broke up on good terms).

But, he did a lot of schooling to be a chef. I can cook, and I never took a class. I love to cook.

riverman
02-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Same here. My friend I mentioned who recently got hired as the Prime Minister's chef is male (he's actually an ex, too, but we broke up on good terms).

But, he did a lot of schooling to be a chef. I can cook, and I never took a class. I love to cook.

I can cook pretty well, but no way can I cook like a woman! I'm not delusional about my culinary skills. :biggrin:

derLowe
02-25-2012, 07:15 AM
I enjoy cooking, I wish i could cook more often.

My favorite dishes to cook are Vegetarian and stir fry.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21315&stc=1&d=1330157456

I love my cooking knives.
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21316&stc=1&d=1330157456

Grumpy Cat
02-25-2012, 07:18 AM
I can cook pretty well, but no way can I cook like a woman! I'm not delusional about my culinary skills. :biggrin:

Yeah well the Prime Minister was lucky my friend got hired on as his chef instead of me. I'd add a touch of Ex-Lax if it was me. :D

Lena
02-25-2012, 09:27 AM
I normally can cook dishes from Serbia but I've been neglecting that since I prefer to make Mexican food now.

I dislike Mexican food cause it contains some spices I can't tolerate...
Anyways, I cook well, at least my brother says that and calls me 'champ' when it comes to some dishes. I can easily say that I was relatively spoiled by my parents, but at the age of 19 and 20 (my brother) they gifted us a condo and said we need to grow up and we did :D.

lepa
02-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Yeah, of course i can. I love to make baklava. :D

hajduk
02-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Yes, but only sandwitches and omelette

MandM
02-25-2012, 09:34 AM
i would like to think that i am, no one has complaind so far =)

Mordid
02-25-2012, 09:39 AM
I have mastered the microwave. AND the toaster. Woah.

MandM
02-25-2012, 09:42 AM
I have mastered the microwave. AND the toaster. Woah.

dinner at iMordids place to night :thumb001:

Graham
02-25-2012, 09:51 AM
I can cook a pizza in the oven, or make cheese on toast. so yes, yes I can.

mymy
02-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Yes, i can cook... :) I find it to be very interesting. Although i admit, i didn't cook much traditional food, but more international things.

And... i am very good in making cakes, cookies and other sweet things.

PetiteParisienne
02-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Yes, i can cook... :) I find it to be very interesting. Although i admit, i didn't cook much traditional food, but more international things.

Let's make a feast together, mymy.

mymy
02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Let's make a feast together, mymy.

I like the idea. :)

Tolleson
02-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Both Aemma and #1 Son are glad I love to cook otherwise mealtime would get very boring, very quickly. :thumb001:

Give me a well stocked fridge and a well stocked pantry and then get the fuck out of my kitchen. :angryw

My knives: http://i42.tinypic.com/2ptt0lk.jpg

rhiannon
02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
I like the idea. :)

I wanna come:)

Tolleson
02-25-2012, 12:50 PM
I wanna come:)

Me three! :thumbs up

PetiteParisienne
02-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Me three! :thumbs up

Do, both of you! I'm picturing a summer barbeque/cook-out.

derLowe
02-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Both Aemma and #1 Son are glad I love to cook otherwise mealtime would get very boring, very quickly. :thumb001:

Give me a well stocked fridge and a well stocked pantry and then get the fuck out of my kitchen. :angryw

My knives: http://i42.tinypic.com/2ptt0lk.jpg

Nice knives.

The Lawspeaker
02-25-2012, 01:04 PM
I can cook a pizza in the oven, or make cheese on toast. so yes, yes I can.
Same here. :thumb001:

PetiteParisienne
02-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Same here. :thumb001:

It doesn't get much better than cheese on toast. :thumb001:

Siginulfo
02-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Eggs, pasta and puré mostly.

rhiannon
02-25-2012, 01:10 PM
It doesn't get much better than cheese on toast. :thumb001:

Yum.
I am a sucker for anything that involves cheese and bread together.

Incal
02-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Yeah I can cook, better than most people my age I know (which is not saying much really).

PetiteParisienne
02-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Yum.
I am a sucker for anything that involves cheese and bread together.

You're telling me. I could probably live off of bread, cheese, chocolate, and red wine.

Leadchucker
02-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Cheese is my food weakness. Give me a chunk of Stilton, set me in the corner with a Newcastle Nut Brown Ale and I'm happy.

PetiteParisienne
02-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Cheese is my food weakness. Give me a chunk of Stilton, set me in the corner with a Newcastle Nut Brown Ale and I'm happy.

I'd bet you're the type to order the cheese board in a pub. :)

Lithium
02-25-2012, 01:44 PM
I can say that I am a good cook but only when it comes to vegetarian/vegan meals and since I am the only vegan in my family I have to cook meals on my own. I won't lie - I like it! I am not that type of men who like to be serviced by women :D

Heart of Oak
02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Cheese on toast is cool.
Cheese omelette with mushrooms is cool too with French bread...

PetiteParisienne
02-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I can say that I am a good cook but only when it comes to vegetarian/vegan meals and since I am the only vegan in my family I have to cook meals on my own. I won't lie - I like it! I am not that type of men who like to be serviced by women :D

I'm pescatarian. :thumbs up

riverman
02-25-2012, 02:36 PM

That sounds intriguing. Would you mind explaining further what you mean by "international things?" :)

billErobreren
02-25-2012, 02:54 PM
better than the average man, so yeah

cilicia
02-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Yes, I am a very good cook. I like to have the kitchen all to myself though,with no one standing over my shoulder.... that really irritates me. :)

mymy
02-25-2012, 08:06 PM
That sounds intriguing. Would you mind explaining further what you mean by "international things?" :)

Just different food from many different European cuisines(i didn't try exotic ones yet). Sometimes i see recipe and change it a little too, i let myself experiment... or i see recipe, and make more local version of it.
I think i will start cooking things from Serbian cuisine soon, it is shame i don't know many of it... but my mother never gave me to cook while i was living with parents.

Mordid
02-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Just different food from many different European cuisines(i didn't try exotic ones yet). Sometimes i see recipe and change it a little too, i let myself experiment... or i see recipe, and make more local version of it.
I think i will start cooking things from Serbian cuisine soon, it is shame i don't know many of it... but my mother never gave me to cook while i was living with parents.

will you cook food for me, waffle? i'm starving as hell.

mymy
02-25-2012, 08:13 PM
will you cook food for me, waffle? i'm starving as hell.

Sure. :D

GeistFaust
02-25-2012, 08:15 PM
I know how to cook Pancakes, Waffles, Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Peanut Butter Sandwich, Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich, and Spaghetti so not too bad for a guy

lepa
02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Chocolate chip coockies are my favourite. They are delicious and very easy for making.

http://www.titsworthfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Cookie.jpg

poiuytrewq0987
02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Of course, I can cook a wide variety of Macedonian dishes.

Mordid
02-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Of course, I can cook a wide variety of Mcdonald dishes.
Fixed.

lepa
02-25-2012, 08:23 PM
^LOL

poiuytrewq0987
02-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Fixed.

You're just mad you have to depend on your mom to cook Polish dishes. :thumb001: Any European who can't cook his native food should be ashamed of himself.

Leadchucker
02-25-2012, 08:28 PM
.....Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich....

One wiz-wit please :D

Grumpy Cat
02-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Yeah, of course i can. I love to make baklava. :D

That's one thing I love, but can't make.

Leadchucker
02-26-2012, 03:41 AM
At the cooker:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/419192_2597074620766_1671751199_1596210_298321999_ n.jpg

My kitchen:
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427764_2597074420761_1671751199_1596209_1916806832 _n.jpg

Radojica
02-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I cooked my first meal when I was 14 or 15 and from then to now I learned a couple of meals to cook... just yesterday I cooked beans with all sort of vegetables and sausages, but, unlike my friend who licked the plate, I did not like it :ohwell:...

riverman
02-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I cooked my first meal when I was 14 or 15 and from then to now I learned a couple of meals to cook... just yesterday I cooked beans with all sort of vegetables and sausages, but, unlike my friend who licked the plate, I did not like it :ohwell:...

You're probably just over critical of your own food, I'm like that too, I want my grilled cheese sandwich to be better than something I could get at a restuarant. :D

Leadchucker
02-26-2012, 03:20 PM
.....I think i will start cooking things from Serbian cuisine soon, it is shame i don't know many of it.......

I will admit I knew nothing of Serbian and it sounded like a new source of ideas....sooooo, I looked some up. Here all allong I have been making gjuwetch ( hope I got that right) and didn't know it. Sarma looks good, might give it ago this week. Always accepting suggestions too,my biggest problem with food everyday is not cooking but what to cook.

Occident
02-26-2012, 03:31 PM
I can cook A British roast dinner with everything included pretty well, better than most maternal figures really. When I have a family christmas will be awesome. I can also make other British dishes, our myriad varieties of stews, a couple of pastry pies, sheperds pie. I love British food with a passian greater than anyone else I've ever met, and I hope to get better and better at making it. Its become a hobby of mine since leaving home.

Leadchucker
02-26-2012, 03:36 PM
I don't know why British food gets a bad rap as being boring or bland. I found most everything we had there to just fine. Some of it was basic food without a lot of frills, but still good eats.

Radojica
02-26-2012, 03:37 PM
I will admit I knew nothing of Serbian and it sounded like a new source of ideas....sooooo, I looked some up. Here all allong I have been making gjuwetch ( hope I got that right) and didn't know it. Sarma looks good, might give it ago this week. Always accepting suggestions too,my biggest problem with food everyday is not cooking but what to cook.

It's djuvech, you got it right ;).. Sarma is not easy at all to make...what you need in the first place is sour cabbage which takes about a week to get (it's quite easy actually, just a lot of salt, water, big barrel, not to cold or hot and patience)..

musaka is excellent dish also, tavche na gravche too :o, gibanica, podvarak, (also made with sour cabbage)...

Phil75231
02-26-2012, 04:58 PM
I can cook simple foods, even up to spaghetti. Anything more complicated than that, I'm hard pressed. Fine by me, as most dishes with complex ingredients tend to be at least a somewhat unhealthy.

heathen_son
02-26-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't know why British food gets a bad rap as being boring or bland.

French derived defamation.

mymy
02-26-2012, 11:42 PM
It's djuvech, you got it right ;).. Sarma is not easy at all to make...what you need in the first place is sour cabbage which takes about a week to get (it's quite easy actually, just a lot of salt, water, big barrel, not to cold or hot and patience)..

musaka is excellent dish also, tavche na gravche too :o, gibanica, podvarak, (also made with sour cabbage)...

I plan to learn how to make that! :)
But i think it is originally Greek dish what became very accepted in Serbian cuisine... Although, it is more logical to speak about Balkan cuisine, i guess-lot of similarities exist, although there are regional differences.

rhiannon
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM

I've done that, lol. Made something only to hate it even as everyone else loved it, lol

Occident
02-27-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't know why British food gets a bad rap as being boring or bland. I found most everything we had there to just fine. Some of it was basic food without a lot of frills, but still good eats.

Food and agriculture quality in Britain really did decline badly in the 20th century due to the world wars and rationing. By my parents generation, if you wanted to eat accessible quality food in Britain you needed to go to a French or Italian restaurant. I am very proud to say that things have been steadily changing in the last 5 to 10 years in Britain, with greater appreciation of our traditional food and a willingness to do it well. Alot of this is associated with the gastro-pub phenonoman, whereby former drinking establishments have reorientated themselves towards serving quality food.

Still however, there is definately a serious feeling of inferiority in this aspect of British culture.

Heart of Oak
02-27-2012, 01:58 PM
If I have too, in fact I like cooking, it's just easier to do the washing up...

riverman
02-27-2012, 02:09 PM
The nice thing about rice and pasta is that you can vary up the flavors and what you add to it, you can be 'creative' in the kitchen. Ive made some really horrible dishes though, but also some good, unique ones.

Radojica
02-27-2012, 02:10 PM
I plan to learn how to make that! :)
But i think it is originally Greek dish what became very accepted in Serbian cuisine... Although, it is more logical to speak about Balkan cuisine, i guess-lot of similarities exist, although there are regional differences.

I think it's Persian food, brought to the Balkans by the Ottomans, similar to burek, sarma, kebabs and other great meals from Balkans... the difference is the usage of different types of spices and making techniques. While in Serbia musaka is made with sunflower seed's oil, in Greece it's made with olive oil, one ingredient, but two totally different tastes. What I missed the most in Russia was vegeta, imagine :o

I've done that, lol. Made something only to hate it even as everyone else loved it, lol

Isn't that one very weird and awkward situation :coffee:?

Leadchucker
02-27-2012, 02:37 PM

It's usually the opposite here. To would not be uncommon for me to make two seperate meals due to the lack of culinary adventure amongst the troops. I'll slam down stuff like artichokes, brussel sprouts,asparagus,collard greens,calamari,oysters,clams,shrimp,redfish,beets or snapper soup where no one else in the house will even try it.

This annoys me a bit as I make excellent food (if I dare say so myself) and love to experiment with cuisines from different cultures. Most times I'll add a little something of my own to a dish then others I'll go with the original to get the sense of what it is supposed to taste like.

This week will be Serbian Musaka as suggested by Radojica, photos on Wednesday :D

Radojica
02-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I cooked one old Vojvodian dish called valjushke... I am not sure whose it is actually, but my choice would be Hungarian as they have many meals which include dough, but it is very, very tasty and beside, reminds me of my childhood, as I loved this when I was a kid :o

I was taking picture step by step in the following order:

Two onions chopped into small particles

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/7592/photo0035g.jpg

and then cook it with the oil until the moment it start getting brown

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg69/scaled.php?server=69&filename=photo0036o.jpg&res=medium

move it away from the heat and add some red paprika

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg15/scaled.php?server=15&filename=photo0037cp.jpg&res=medium

after that, have a few potatoes and chop them into little cubes and put it in the water for cooking

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg812/scaled.php?server=812&filename=photo0038ib.jpg&res=medium

while at the same time take flour

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg651/scaled.php?server=651&filename=photo0039f.jpg&res=medium

and bake it with a little water and salt

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg713/scaled.php?server=713&filename=photo0040g.jpg&res=medium

in the cooking pot where potato is already cooking

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg3/scaled.php?server=3&filename=photo0041qs.jpg&res=medium

put small pieces of dough you chopped with your fingers for cooking

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg96/scaled.php?server=96&filename=photo0042b.jpg&res=medium

(I had to cook it separately as my mother took all the big pots in my flat :grumpy:

when it's cooked (and with the dough you know it's ready when pieces of dough start going up)

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg684/scaled.php?server=684&filename=photo0044sn.jpg&res=medium

add that to chopped and cooked onion and

voila

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg594/scaled.php?server=594&filename=photo0045n.jpg&res=medium

prijatno :hungry:

Lena
02-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I cooked one old Vojvodian dish called valjushke... I am not sure whose it is actually, but my choice would be Hungarian as they have many meals which include dough, but it is very, very tasty and beside, reminds me of my childhood, as I loved this when I was a kid :o

To see a guy who really knows to cook is refreshing :thumb001:
If you like shrimps and don't mind to deal with a leek and other types of onion while spending at least 20 mins just to chop all ingredients, I'll give you (IMO) the best recipe you can get :D

Amapola
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg69/scaled.php?server=69&filename=photo0036o.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg15/scaled.php?server=15&filename=photo0037cp.jpg&res=medium

after that, have a few potatoes and chop them into little cubes and put it in the water for cooking

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg812/scaled.php?server=812&filename=photo0038ib.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg651/scaled.php?server=651&filename=photo0039f.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg713/scaled.php?server=713&filename=photo0040g.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg3/scaled.php?server=3&filename=photo0041qs.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg96/scaled.php?server=96&filename=photo0042b.jpg&res=medium

(I had to cook it separately as my mother took all the big pots in my flat :grumpy:

when it's cooked (and with the dough you know it's ready when pieces of dough start going up)

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg684/scaled.php?server=684&filename=photo0044sn.jpg&res=medium

voila

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg594/scaled.php?server=594&filename=photo0045n.jpg&res=medium

This is how things have to be done.

You all, learn! :thumb001:

WitheredWhiteness
02-27-2012, 07:47 PM

voila

Now I know what will everyone have for their next dinner.

Happy cooking and burning stuff! :D

Hurrem sultana
02-27-2012, 07:53 PM
radojica,your wife will be a happy woman :D

this "valjuske" looks very good,never heard about anything similar before..i will have to try it!! :)

Azalea
02-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Yes, I can. Here are some things I made:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=741848&postcount=16

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=741850&postcount=17

Teyrn
02-27-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm much better at improvisational cooking than following a recipe down to the smallest detail. I've worked in a few food joints over the years and I've developed the ability to prepare an edible meal out of whatever happens to be on hand with the benefit that sometimes it even tastes good too! :D

Chronos
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
French derived defamation.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/6010906/tumblr_lehvxorP5u1qg3fm8o1_500_thumb.jpg

Leadchucker
03-01-2012, 02:05 PM
For the Serbian Musaka,should I use Vegeta to season the meat and for the mixture to pour over the top,eggs and yoghurt or sour cream? I was going to make it this week but I got sick and didn't feel like it.:(

Thanks

Mosov
03-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I can't cook at all. That will be job of my wife ;)

Radojica
03-01-2012, 02:14 PM
For the Serbian Musaka,should I use Vegeta to season the meat and for the mixture to pour over the top,eggs and yoghurt or sour cream? I was going to make it this week but I got sick and didn't feel like it.:(

Thanks

Usually it's mixed with the meat, but it depends of personal taste how much one will put. Remember that it's salty and you don't want your meal to be more salty than it should. Fell better soon and later post picture to see how it turned out in the end :wave:

derLowe
03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Tonight I made some Bierocks.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21610&stc=1&d=1330625345

Corraidh
03-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Ah, not well. But I give it a go. I stick with seafood, myself.

RitinNair
03-01-2012, 06:19 PM
I can for the most part, and do simple stuff, but not too much.

orangepulp
03-01-2012, 06:30 PM
I am excellent in cooking.

Some of the stuff I made:

Chinese sweet and sour chicken with rice:
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/6004/photo1062.jpg
Pizza
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1219/photo0897p.jpg
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and Turkish tea
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1077/photo1125g.jpg

Mosov
03-01-2012, 08:38 PM
^^^

now that's a real woman :)

Heart of Oak
03-02-2012, 07:48 AM
I made toad in the hole, with mash and mushy peas...
Tonight I'm making Biriani, pea low rice, perswari nan and rose ice cream.
Tomorrow I'll try something hard for a change, make an effort, you can't have Pizza every Saturday night...

Hurrem sultana
03-02-2012, 07:51 AM
i made pizza yesterday :) today ,,,either lasagna,or moussaka

maybe something sweet too :)

Duke
03-02-2012, 08:14 AM
yes, and i enjoy it also

Leadchucker
03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Today's main meal which we eat at noontime due the hours we both work.
Made up into a nice presentation I think.
Beef beryani:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/26435_1195253496114_1671751199_373296_6164056_n.jp g

Radojica
03-06-2012, 02:11 PM
My first try to make goulash...I made it...after three hours of cooking ( more cooking, better taste)

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg814/scaled.php?server=814&filename=photo0052qp.jpg&res=medium

Hopefully you don't expect from me to cook AND to be clean :embarrassed

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg855/scaled.php?server=855&filename=photo0053zw.jpg&res=medium

If I don't come back, operation went smoothly, but the patient did not survive :)

mymy
03-06-2012, 02:12 PM
^ Looks fine, especially for the first time...
I know how to make it, btw. :D

Radojica
03-06-2012, 02:14 PM
^ Looks fine, especially for the first time...
I know how to make it, btw. :D

That's because it's not Serbian meal :grumpy:

Come on, come on, don't be shy, admit it :tongue

mymy
03-06-2012, 02:24 PM
That's because it's not Serbian meal :grumpy:

Come on, come on, don't be shy, admit it :tongue

You know that i'm Sagittarius... We like foreign things, lol. :D

Joking of course. It is not Serbian, but it is very common in Serbia, and it's one of the basic things... Anyway, there are really little things in our cuisine, you can say they are pure Serbian... ;)

Ulfricstormcloak
03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I sorta have to have some knowledge of cooking and recipes because I maintain a mostly vegetarian diet. And I think food tastes better when I make it.

Radojica
03-06-2012, 02:46 PM
I sorta have to have some knowledge of cooking and recipes because I maintain a mostly vegetarian diet.

Of all vegetarian food, meat is my favourite one :laugh:

;)

Ulfricstormcloak
03-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Of all vegetarian food, meat is my favourite one :laugh:

;)

A cow is a vegetable once removed.

derLowe
03-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I sorta have to have some knowledge of cooking and recipes because I maintain a mostly vegetarian diet. And I think food tastes better when I make it.

I eat mostly Vegetarian during the week, mostly because it can be made very well quickly.

Some very nice vegetarian dishes can be made with a bit of creativity.

PetiteParisienne
03-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Today's lunch was quinoa with garlic and grilled asparagus. Yummy. :)

AR89
03-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes, pasta, risotto, salmon, cod, meringues, chocolate mousse...

I cook what I enjoy to cook.

Aviane
03-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I surely can cook a lot of different repices but some I also make as my own.

Off course for myself as well as my family.

My family sometimes takes turns too.

My examples are like Crêpes and Cider, Crème Chantilly and some French cheeses.

Azalea
03-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I love crepes. :love:

StonyArabia
03-06-2012, 09:41 PM
My mother can, and so does my sister I can't. It's part of the cultural elements that the women have to learn household stuff in my house and ultimately obey and follow commands of the male household head like the father. They make nice stuff as well:p Though me nor my father can cook

Azalea
03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
My mother can, and so does my sister I can't. It's part of the cultural elements that the women have to learn household stuff in my house and ultimately obey and follow commands of the male household head like the father. They make nice stuff as well:p Though me nor my father can cook

:shakefist

Mosov
03-06-2012, 09:45 PM
:shakefist

Why you think it should be different?

Azalea
03-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I believe that no one needs to obey or commend another in a respectfull household.

Mosov
03-06-2012, 09:51 PM
I believe that no one needs to obey or commend another in a respectfull household.

Yes, but still the man has the final word in a household, and it should be expected that woman takes care of the house, cooks, and so forth.

Loki
03-06-2012, 09:53 PM
It's part of the cultural elements that the women have to learn household stuff in my house and ultimately obey and follow commands of the male household head like the father.

I already feel sorry for your future wife.

Aramis
03-06-2012, 09:55 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg855/scaled.php?server=855&filename=photo0053zw.jpg&res=medium

If I don't come back, operation went smoothly, but the patient did not survive :)

Here's mine.

http://i42.tinypic.com/uvcpz.jpg

Maybe one day we two can do a goulash cook-off? :D

mymy
03-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Yes, but still the man has the final word in a household, and it should be expected that woman takes care of the house, cooks, and so forth.

Only the weak men insist on control and final words, because they don't know how to conquer a woman other way... If you know how to act and don't expect anything, she will do everything without even asking her... If you don't know, then you will have to insist on your "natural role". :rolleyes2:

Azalea

It depends. If the man works and the woman stays at home, then yes. But if both work then no. You can't expect from the woman to do everything if she has a fulltime job. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in the 'man should be the head of the house' principal. But I've also noticed that when husband and wife respect each other, no one needs to commend or obey another and decisions are made together. :)

Mosov
I already feel sorry for your future wife.

He'll marry a Bedouin so it will be no problem ;)

Azalea
03-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Only the weak men insist on control and final words, because they don't know how to conquer a woman other way... If you know how to act and don't expect anything, she will do everything without even asking her... If you don't know, then you will have to insist on your "natural role". :rolleyes2:

So true! I am kinda traditional myself and I wouldn't mind cooking, washing etc. But if my future husband would commend from me to do those stuff, I would tell him to screw himself. :D

Mosov
03-06-2012, 09:59 PM

What I mean by final word, is the man making the big decisions. He's the one who works and supports the family, he has the right to the decision.

It depends. If the man works and the woman stays at home, then yes. But if both work then no. You can't expect from the woman to do everything if she has a fulltime job. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in the 'man should be the head of the house' principal. But I've also noticed that when husband and wife respect each other, no one needs to commend or obey another and decisions are made together. :)

Sure, both should respect and love each other, but as I said above, the bigger decisions should be made by the man, who is usually the money maker. Not saying woman shouldn't have a say in things, of course they should.

Loki
03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
He'll marry a Bedouin so it will be no problem ;)

No, he's going to marry a Circassian girl.

SilverKnight
03-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes,

Latin American food (dominican mostly)
Italian
Spanish
and all American food :)

me and my gf make turns to cook is fun.

mymy
03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
So true! I am kinda traditional myself and I wouldn't mind cooking, washing etc. But if my future husband would commend fme to do those stuff, I would tell him to screw himself. :D

Right. I enjoy cooking and don't mind house work, but if someone insist on me doing it or start acting bossy i believe i will start doing totally opposite, because i will feel it like attack on my personal freedom and space... or better say attack on my personality. And it will end in divorce. I don't plan to tell him what to do and how to think, so i expect the same.
I don't say this because i don't know how to cook or similar... I am very good in all things about house.:coffee:

What I mean by final word, is the man making the big decisions. He's the one who works and supports the family, he has the right to the decision.

If it's only about him, i will leave him decide alone... But i will ask him if he wants my opinion or help, although i won't insist on it, because it is his personal thing. But, when it's about things that are about both of us, or about kids, we should both discuss and think together what is the best.
When it's about my personal things, i would like to hear his opinion and discuss it, but i wouldn't like that he decide instead of me, if i don't ask him that.

Barreldriver
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Can I cook? Never put myself in an oven before to find out. har! :D

Queen B
03-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Υes, I can.
A Greek woman that can't cook is not real :p

Mosov
03-06-2012, 11:16 PM
If it's only about him, i will leave him decide alone... But i will ask him if he wants my opinion or help, although i won't insist on it, because it is his personal thing. But, when it's about things that are about both of us, or about kids, we should both discuss and think together what is the best.
When it's about my personal things, i would like to hear his opinion and discuss it, but i wouldn't like that he decide instead of me, if i don't ask him that.

Not saying it should be only about him. Both parents have a say, but the man makes the big decisions regarding family since he's the money-bringer.

Azalea
03-06-2012, 11:17 PM
What if both man and woman work?

Mosov
03-06-2012, 11:25 PM
What if both man and woman work?

Well woman can have more say in that case, but still I would say man should have a bit more authority.

Incal
03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
I also believe what the girls say about mutual understanding and stuff, in fact, I think I can perform any house choir a woman can so no problem. Still, once in a while, in some discussions (specially if I feel I'm 100% right) I will have the last word. Why? Cause women hate weak men and I don't have some attractive passport like most white guys to import an asian bride (and TBH I pass, I need some real booty).

Racial Observer 1814
03-07-2012, 12:27 AM
I am French, of course I can! La cuisine, c'est chez moi! :thumb001::thumb001:

Mosov
03-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Funny photo ;)

http://news.am/pic/news/96222.jpg

Leadchucker
03-07-2012, 05:09 PM
I sent for some Vegeta as it wasn't available at the local grocery to make sure the seasoning was right. My first go at Serbian Musaka (Мусака??).
If nothing else it tastes good as heck.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/423279_2642339232353_1671751199_1613052_96541303_n .jpg

Aramis
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I sent for some Vegeta as it wasn't available at the local grocery to make sure the seasoning was right. My first go at Serbian Musaka (Мусака??).
If nothing else it tastes good as heck.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/423279_2642339232353_1671751199_1613052_96541303_n .jpg

Looks good, but are those eggplants? In serbian and bosnian cuisine it's mostly made with potatoes (at least in my region), while eggplants are used for the greek version.

http://www.coolinarika.com/repository/images/_variations/5/1/5105bff58bb853218f7351215b195672_view_l.jpg

http://www.coolinarika.com/repository/images/_variations/9/6/96c8bf7fa9c039fbbdf82ca9492a27e5_blowup_vegeta.jpg

Leadchucker
03-07-2012, 05:34 PM
They are potaotes, I have a bit to learn yet such as using a bigger pan next time and cutting down on the oven temperature a bit so the middles cook a little more. It was still very good.

MandM
03-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Υes, I can.
A Greek woman that can't cook is not real :p

well is nice to here a greek woman can cook, dont mean greek women in general, but all the greek women friends i have are to spoiled and non of them can cook =(

Queen B
03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
well is nice to here a greek woman can cook, dont mean greek women in general, but all the greek women friends i have are to spoiled and non of them can cook =(
Τhey are not real Greeks honoring their heritage then :(

MandM
03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
today i made mashed potatos, porkfile in the oven bathing in a cream of my homemade sauce witch is a mix with ajvar Crème fraîche, cream,sambal olek,pepper and garlic, with a tuch of conjac. sooo goooodddd

MandM
03-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Τhey are not real Greeks honoring their heritage then :(

indeed:( but there mothers ohh heavenly:D

Leadchucker
03-07-2012, 06:03 PM
today i made mashed potatos, porkfile in the oven bathing in a cream of my homemade sauce witch is a mix with ajvar Crème fraîche, cream,sambal olek,pepper and garlic, with a tuch of conjac. sooo goooodddd

Sounds very good. Fusion cooking at it's best :thumbs up

orangepulp
03-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Made white beans with beef and rice, Turkish style:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4272/photo1318.jpg

Peyrol
03-09-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm able to cook and i love cooking.

(and this is very untipical for an italian male :D)

derLowe
03-11-2012, 07:11 AM
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21864&stc=1&d=1331449829

Made this one at a braai (BBQ).

Leadchucker
03-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Made this one at a braai (BBQ).

Try deepfrying it 3 minutes in a turkey fryer once. Grilled is good, deep fried corn on the cob is great.

rashka
03-11-2012, 07:47 AM
I love pierogis with sauerkraut and mushrooms, onions:

http://polandinpieces.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/pierogi11.jpg

Here is a Pierogi maker:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/VARENIKI-PIEROGI-VARENYKY-MAKER-FORM-RAVIOLI-MOLD-NEW-/17/!B-,vN9QBWk~$(KGrHqR,!jQEzK+DksIPBM8pIHvpuw~~_35.JPG

Sometimes I am too lazy to make the dough so I just cook elbow macaroni and mix it with the rest.

derLowe
03-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Try deepfrying it 3 minutes in a turkey fryer once. Grilled is good, deep fried corn on the cob is great.

Interesting, I will give it a bash next time.

derLowe
03-11-2012, 07:52 AM
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21865&stc=1&d=1331452346

Burek, my interpretation at least.

rashka
03-11-2012, 07:55 AM
^^^ Gibanica?

derLowe
03-11-2012, 08:02 AM
^^^ Gibanica?

Oh dear, did I get it that wrong? :D

It could be a Gibanica, except mine was filled with wild boar mince. The only gibanica I heard of was filled with young cheese.

So mine was a Mesanica perhaps.

rashka
03-11-2012, 08:11 AM
It could be a Gibanica, except mine was filled with wild boar mince.

Boar? :(
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ebC_IZe8dVg/TZqed2B_8SI/AAAAAAAAAXU/uiZQR9q52HU/s1600/pboar1_1383865c.jpg

derLowe
03-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Boar? :(
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ebC_IZe8dVg/TZqed2B_8SI/AAAAAAAAAXU/uiZQR9q52HU/s1600/pboar1_1383865c.jpg

Ahh, you been watching that old Yugoslav movie about the mom and baby boar haven't you.

Zack_Fair
03-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Instant noodles count, right? :P