PDA

View Full Version : I Have An Identity Crisis

Learning_Genetics
10-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Hello,

I am of mixed ethnic groups. Part of me is Baltic, the other part is Scottish. Within Scottish there are several elements, highland, lowland and even Scandinavian from the outer islands.

If I say that I am a Scot, then it does not work because I have the outer island ancestry and look like this.

My problem is, if I say I am Scottish then it seems I do not have enough Scottish blood (because of the outer island and Baltic components) to call myself this.

At the same time I am not really Baltic or outer islander either. I do not look Scottish, people always ask me if I am from Poland or Russia. Also I am over six feet tall and people tell me this is not a common trait of Scots.

I want to call myself a Scot but if it is only my surname which is Scottish then how?

So what is your recommendations?

Kiyant
10-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Hello,

I am of mixed ethnic groups. Part of me is Baltic, the other part is Scottish. Within Scottish there are several elements, highland, lowland and even Scandinavian from the outer islands.

If I say that I am a Scot, then it does not work because I have the outer island ancestry and look like this.

My problem is, if I say I am Scottish then it seems I do not have enough Scottish blood (because of the outer island and Baltic components) to call myself this.

At the same time I am not really Baltic or outer islander either. I do not look Scottish, people always ask me if I am from Poland or Russia. Also I am over six feet tall and people tell me this is not a common trait of Scots.

I want to call myself a Scot but if it is only my surname which is Scottish then how?

Call yourself a Scot you are what you are.
And i assume your Father is a Scot?
If yes you can proudly say you are a Scot and a rather unique one too :)

Ultra
10-03-2013, 09:46 AM
You are Scottish. A true Barbarian Krigare from the Baltic Sea.

Dombra
10-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Scottish/Baltic

Multi-ethni can be cool when its European :cool:

Kiyant
10-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Scottish/Baltic

Does that mean its not cool when i have it :(

Dombra
10-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Does that mean its not cool when i have it :(

It depends how original you are :thumb001:

Prisoner Of Ice
10-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Hello,

Say you are highland scot, if anyone questions you just punch them in the face. Then they will know it's true.

But seriously these are all pretty related. Only reason to care is if you are part irish then some ass is bound to mess with you about it eventually, otherwise who gives a shit. At this point they should just be happy you're not a jihader who bathes once a month.

inactive_member
10-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Hello,

I'm Belarusian. I am 184cm having fair complexion. I have never been identified as a Belarusian by foreigners. Not even Russian or Pole. Some people regonised my Slavic accent. It doesn't matter what others think about your appearance or what blood you may have in your ancestry. Most importantly is how you feel and to which culture you have affinity. If it's Scottish, then you are a Scott.

Corvus
10-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Identity crisis because of mixed origings, well the only thing I can tell you that when you get older you will realize that this is more or less irrelevant, you will face other problems in life, which can cause real crisis

Anglojew
10-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Many people are mixed nowadays. I wouldn't let that worry you.

You're pan-European I guess. Celto-Balt=Belt/Calt?

Learning_Genetics
10-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Call yourself a Scot you are what you are.
And i assume your Father is a Scot?
If yes you can proudly say you are a Scot and a rather unique one too :)

Thank you for your advice. Yes, my father is Scottish so I suppose I will inherit his patrilineal identity and surname.

You are Scottish. A true Barbarian Krigare from the Baltic Sea.

I hope so. To be a barbarian is the best option.

Scottish/Baltic

It can create a big confusion!

Where is your Baltic ancestry from?

Why do you want to be Scottish?

Do you speak Latvian or Lithuanian?

Baltic ancestry is from Lithuania.

I want to be Scottish because I do not speak Lithuanian well and am closer to the Scottish culture. I know it more but I also feel a strong connection to Lithuania, i.e. my ideas and way of thinking is different to the British way.

Say you are highland scot, if anyone questions you just punch them in the face. Then they will know it's true.

I certainly have the temper of a Scot.

I'm Belarusian. I am 184cm having fair complexion. I have never been identified as a Belarusian by foreigners. Not even Russian or Pole. Some people regonised my Slavic accent. It doesn't matter what others think about your appearance or what blood you may have in your ancestry. Most importantly is how you feel and to which culture you have affinity. If it's Scottish, then you are a Scott.

Thank you for the advice.

Identity crisis because of mixed origings, well the only thing I can tell you that when you get older you will realize that this is more or less irrelevant, you will face other problems in life, which can cause real crisis

Yes, this is true. This is not really a crisis, more like rhetorical question which is relevant to ask on a European cultural and genetic forum. In my day to day concerns this is not such a large one.

Many people are mixed nowadays. I wouldn't let that worry you.

You're pan-European I guess. Celto-Balt=Belt/Calt?

Thank you for your advice.

Maybe, but Pan-European does not mean so much. Well, at least it is possible to know the ethnicities.

Gaston
10-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Go live in Lithuania or (Latvia) for a while and you'll realize how Scotland is where you belong (my bet).

You can also move to the US and be just "white".

Liac
10-03-2013, 11:58 AM
What's your father ethnicity?

Learning_Genetics
10-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Go live in Lithuania or (Latvia) for a while and you'll realize how Scotland is where you belong (my bet).

You can also move to the US and be just "white".

I think you are correct. Most likely it will be more suitable to be in Scotland.

What's your father ethnicity?

From Scotland. I do not know which ethnicity, though, not sure if Celt, Pict, Saxon etc but certainly Scottish.

Liac
10-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I think you are correct. Most likely it will be more suitable to be in Scotland.

From Scotland. I do not know which ethnicity, though, not sure if Celt, Pict, Saxon etc but certainly Scottish.

If he's Scottish then you're Scottish as well. Do you feel more connected to Scots or to Balts? I have an identity crisis as well, don't know if I'm Slav, Illyrian or Iranic?

Learning_Genetics
10-03-2013, 12:17 PM
If he's Scottish then you're Scottish as well. Do you feel more connected to Scots or to Balts? I have an identity crisis as well, don't know if I'm Slav, Illyrian or Iranic?

I think so. This is the traditional way of the Serbian people and no doubt also for Lithuanian people as well. The surname determines identity.

I feel connected to both Scots and Balts equally but I wish Scotland would be more like Lithuania than the other way round.

However I look very Lithuanian and even a Russian man told me I could pass in Russia. I also very much like the cultures of Eastern Europe. Also when I walk into a room in the UK people tend to look at me because I look unique from most others.

If you are Serbian then most likely you can say with equal possibility that you are Slav, Illyrian or Iranic. Either way there is no contradiction.

Pjeter Pan
10-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Move to Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, problem solved

Learning_Genetics
10-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Move to Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, problem solved

But then identity is lost...

Jackson
10-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Balto-Scottish i think. I do not think most people now would give you too much jip for saying you feel Scottish, especially as you are half Scottish anyway. People might call you by your other ethnicity when they are joking around or something. Like i know people who have mixed ancestry, and people sometimes (usually friends) refer to them as their less favorite ancestry, although i do not think they mean it that seriously.

Hercus Monte
10-03-2013, 01:43 PM
just pretend that your Baltic side is curonian and brush it of as 'viking' ancestry.

Windischer
10-03-2013, 01:54 PM
why do you care so much what do people ask you or tell you?
you are human. if someone asks who are you, tell them about your profession, successes, achievements. thats you.

Proctor
10-03-2013, 02:54 PM
I know what you mean man, just look at my ancestry hahaha, I used to have an identity crisis, not anymore though, I view myself as "american" first and foremost but when it comes to overseas, I identify with my Scottish ancestry the most. It can get confusing sometimes though, you're right. But instead of viewing it negatively, view it in a positive light.

Jackson
10-03-2013, 04:38 PM
At least it gives you more to talk about. :)

Óttar
10-03-2013, 04:48 PM
You are a Scot even if you have Scandinavian influence. It would be ludicrous to claim that every Britisher or Irishman with Norse ancestors makes them un-British or un-Irish. There are thousands of people throughout the British Isles with Scandinavian input, but it doesn't change their identities. Dublin was founded by Vikings, does that make Dubliners non-Irish? I, like thousands of other people of British Islander extraction, have Norse Y DNA. It does not in any way take away from my British and Irish heritage. As a matter of fact, I am very proud of it.

You are half Scottish and half Balt with a Scottish surname. So?