PDA

View Full Version : Horse meat-how does it taste?

FrostDragon
10-06-2013, 03:05 AM
Horse meat is eaten in many European contries, such as Italy. Belgium and the Netherlands, and is considered a delicacy in France; have you ever eaten horse meat? Where can one obtain this meat? As far as I know, it's bourdeaux in color, very lean, has 25% more iron than in beef, and also taste a bit like beef, but is somewhat sweet.
(Oxen were used once (and still?) as working animals and no European taboos beef, why not horse?)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Horse_meat_in_package.JPG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Paardenrookvlees.JPG

Prisoner Of Ice
10-06-2013, 03:20 AM
Kind of like bear.

Pontios
10-06-2013, 03:20 AM
Yes and it actually doesn't taste bad at all. I would say it's even better than beef and definitely better than pork.

Kind of like bear.

Yes, bear isn't that bad either. I had it too. :)

FrostDragon
10-06-2013, 03:22 AM
Kind of like bear.

Bear meat? Where is that eaten?

Prisoner Of Ice
10-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Alaska, but I was just kidding, never ate either one. Horse probably tastes like antelope, which is like beef but gamier (I have eaten that).

Pontios
10-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Bear meat? Where is that eaten?

Russia. No joke. :lol:

FrostDragon
10-06-2013, 03:28 AM
I always thought meat from predatory animals isn't very good, there's a good reason why even when lions kill hyenas, they don't eat them.

Prisoner Of Ice
10-06-2013, 03:31 AM
I always thought meat from predatory animals isn't very good, there's a good reason why even when lions kill hyenas, they don't eat them.
Nah, not for bear anyway. It's very fatty and not gamey at all, probably better than beef. People love it but obviously you can't get it easily and there's not that many bears.

They are not really a full on predator is why, I guess. Something like a lion would probably be very tough and flavorless, and too lean.

Usually the leaner the less flavor, but that can be good if it's gamey. Too gamey and I can't eat it, of course some people like that.

FrostDragon
10-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Horse meat has almost no fat on it, yet is consiered a delicacy by the French. And yet, the fatty material is what makes entrecote and pork chop so good when grilled...would you agree?

Prisoner Of Ice
10-06-2013, 03:38 AM
Some lean meats have a spicy taste, so maybe it has a unique taste...but I am skeptical. If might be a matter of the right sauce, though. French sauces can be very fatty, which would make up for the meat being lean.

Hint of gaminess is very nice, but I don't think horse should be gamey at all.