PDA

View Full Version : Why does cow milk taste so fucking good?

Ultra
10-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Why? It's fucking amazing. It tastes amazing, it feels amazing, it's extremely rich in nutrients, it can be drank to pretty much anything/fits with everything, if you get hot chili pepper in your eye washing it with milk will neutralize it etc. I never get tired of this amazing drink coming from another creature and I don't think I can live without it!!!

http://i1.cpcache.com/nocache/product/24249038/i_love_milk_throw_pillow.jpg

http://cdn1.cdnme.se/cdn/6-1/2468672/images/2011/hejsa_137544824.gif

Ultra
10-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Me in the future in TA Member Pics thread?

http://cdn1.cdnme.se/cdn/6-2/899730/images/2011/gotmilk_129588375.jpg

larali
10-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I prefer goat milk.

Ultra
10-06-2013, 04:24 PM
I prefer goat milk.
Still rich in nutrients.

Mechanolater
10-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Cow tit fairies.

Ultra
10-06-2013, 04:32 PM
The smell makes me want to puke. You Neolithics are fucking weird.
But Paleolithics have the least lactose intolerance?

http://idreamofbiochemistry.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/worldwide_prevalence_of_lactose_intolerance_in_rec ent_populations.jpg

Jackson
10-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Milk is amazing i agree. Pretty much grew up on the stuff. Never broken a bone yet too.

Loki
10-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Milk is for Northmen. :thumb001: Southerners get ill from drinking it! :laugh:

Jackson
10-06-2013, 04:36 PM

All the milk are belong to us

Mazik
10-06-2013, 04:37 PM
I feel sick if I haven't had any milk during a whole day.

Skerdilaid
10-06-2013, 04:38 PM
I am not sure if it is a Northen thing, but where I come from we drink it straight from the titties:laugh:

Loki
10-06-2013, 04:46 PM
^ Rubbish propaganda

Virtuous
10-06-2013, 04:49 PM
On certain days I drink milk like water.

Mans not hot
10-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Be cafeful, Madonna might have strong orgasm.

Swearengen
10-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I wonder if milk consumption can be correlated to the height of a population.

World's tallest nations - Sweden and Netherlands
Highest consumers of milk - Finland, Sweden, and Netherlands

other famously tall nations like Albania and Montenegro also have high milk consumption. And Greece, which is known to be tall compared to other southern nations.

http://cdn3.chartsbin.com/chartimages/l_1491_367cf46a4071cb556c3d59c6d96f7d9c

Loki
10-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Have you even read the article?

The milk myth has spread around the world based on the flawed belief that this protein and calcium-rich drink is essential to support good overall health and bone health in particular at any age. It is easy to understand that the confusion about milk’s imaginary benefits stems from the fact that it contains calcium – around 300 mg per cup.

But many scientific studies have shown an assortment of detrimental health effects directly linked to milk consumption. And the most surprising link is that not only do we barely absorb the calcium in cow’s milk (especially if pasteurized), but to make matters worse, it actually increases calcium loss from the bones. What an irony this is!

I don't buy it. Also, calcium isn't the only beneficial nutrient in milk. It contains lots of nutrients. Drinking milk is better than not drinking it, except if you are lactose intolerant (I guess you are ... ).

Jackson
10-06-2013, 04:54 PM
People enjoy sugar and junk food just as well, so the fact you like the taste is no argument for proving it's healthy.

Well even if it's correct, milk is still amazing. Alcohol is diabolically terrible for your health and Russians drink a lot of it, so i've heard! :P

Loki
10-06-2013, 04:54 PM

other famously tall nations like Albania and Montenegro also have high milk consumption. And Greece, which is known to be tall compared to other southern nations.

Very good point!

MarkyMark
10-06-2013, 04:55 PM
The milk in Syria tasted really good compared to American milk. Probably because it had less chemicals and preservatives in it. I had that shit everyday there.

Jackson
10-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Milk addicts won't take it lightly. But remember this - the first step to healing is recognising your addiction.

What do you usually drink and eat?

Jackson
10-06-2013, 04:57 PM
I do not drink milk or alcholol, I do not do drugs or smoke. I'm not addicted to sugar or fats.

What about tea?

Neanderthal
10-06-2013, 04:57 PM
People enjoy sugar and junk food just as well, so the fact you like the taste is no argument for proving it's healthy.

You believe in the mental diarrhea from some illiterate Blogger over tons of scientifical studies?

sevruk
10-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Milk is good. But only fresh, not from the sachet

Loki
10-06-2013, 05:00 PM
I do not drink milk or alcholol, I do not do drugs or smoke. I'm not addicted to sugar or fats.

Damn, does your life suck or what? :(

Loki
10-06-2013, 05:01 PM
You obviously didn't get the point. You are blinded by your addiction.
The calcium myth is practically the main argument, yet not only it is incorrect, it also works the other way round. Humans can easily do with yoghurt or kefir.

Well, Scandinavians are all "blinded by milk addiction" then I guess (along with us Dutchies), yet are some of the most healthy people in the world. Can't argue against that ...

Loki
10-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm not talking about general health but the calcium related issue.

Even if it was true, then it seems the other benefits of milk outweigh any negatives.

Albion
10-06-2013, 05:08 PM

You probably drink the burnt American stuff.

Smaug
10-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Sheep milk sheep milk!

Jackson
10-06-2013, 05:10 PM
I usually drink water and eat vegetable dishes.

I sometimes drink tea but I'm not satisfied with the fact I buy it. I think certain harmful additives might be hiding behind "flavours" that many tea kinds contain. Picking your own herbs might be a good idea.

Interesting :) I know you have to be careful as a vegetarian though, as you need a certain amount of variety in the food you eat to gain all your nutrients, unlike if meat is included. Certainly i think growing and consuming yourself is almost certainly healthier, although more inconvenient.

Neanderthal
10-06-2013, 05:11 PM
That is no argument you have presented here unlike the author. Only one logical conclusion can be made - you have just mentally vomited.

There are many studies online kamane, you know this. No need to get angry over this.

Austo
10-06-2013, 05:13 PM

Sugar and fat is not unhealthy as long as you do sports.

SilverKnight
10-06-2013, 05:14 PM

http://idreamofbiochemistry.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/worldwide_prevalence_of_lactose_intolerance_in_rec ent_populations.jpg

:laugh: this map is soo inaccurate :laugh:

Jackson
10-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Indeed it's more about managing diet and exercise. Many people don't do this well or at all.

Albion
10-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Probably nothing to do with Paleolithic. Probably came about since the advent of farming, farming in the north west before the improvement of land and cereals would have involved a lot of livestock and less crops than now. The south could grow crops easier so less land had to be devoted to livestock. Grasslands in the north are also a lot richer and better for grazing cattle whereas Mediterranean areas are often dry and fit more for goats and sheep.
So lactose tolerance became more prominent in the north out of necessity.

Jackson
10-06-2013, 05:16 PM
:laugh: this map is soo inaccurate :laugh:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_pajRTcqYaA/UgJP4pAUPQI/AAAAAAAAdng/I0Io8Lm1wBc/w506-h391/lactase-hotspots2.jpg

justme
10-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Full fat milk is delicious!!!!

Herr Abubu
10-06-2013, 05:19 PM
I never drank milk as a child and still don't, I found and still find it to have a pungent taste. Doesn't seem to have had any effect on me.

Austo
10-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Why consume fats and sugar and then put effort in loosing it. I think it's easier to cut consumption in the first place. Also, that is nature friendly :D

This reason might be only for men but: to get muscles.

Loki
10-06-2013, 05:23 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_pajRTcqYaA/UgJP4pAUPQI/AAAAAAAAdng/I0Io8Lm1wBc/w506-h391/lactase-hotspots2.jpg

Ahh ... so in Europe it seems to be a Germanic thing mostly. No wonder kamane is so butthurt about it :laugh:

Albion
10-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Milk depletes the calcium from your bones

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

This is BS. Milk is alkaline for a start, not acidic. This is why we drink tea with milk - because tea is highly acidic and thus has a bitter taste without it but milk makes it more neutral.
Too much calcium can be bad for you, but it doesn't deplete the calcium in your bones, it adds to it. If your body can't sympathize it, then you get Hypercalcemia.

That what you posted looks like yet more rubbish from vegans. No one ever went to vegans for dietary advice, most of them are wasting away because they avoid meat and dairy.

Austo
10-06-2013, 05:25 PM
They are becoming less and less necessary in civilized world.

I disagree, a man always has to be able to protect his family.

SilverKnight
10-06-2013, 05:26 PM

Much accurate :thumbs up

as expected, dairy areas of population have the highest, while cultures with rice and mostly farming, less/

Smaug
10-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Ahh ... so in Europe it seems to be a Germanic thing mostly. No wonder kamane is so butthurt about it :laugh:

Celts as well.

Skerdilaid

I don't think this map is accurate. I don't think Northern European countries consume more dairy then say Albania for example, where dairy is the most important part of our diet.

Virtuous

We don't all live in an immigrant-less heaven like you do.

Dombra
10-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Only dwarfs are not able to drink mjölk!

Celts as well.

I bet you Atlantic guys where lactose intolerant wogs before the Germaic invasions :cool:

Austo
10-06-2013, 05:31 PM
If you are a neo nazi who regurlarly gets involved in fights, why not.

Look at Philo. He is peaceful and thin like a stick. Ask him whether he needs muscles.

He dont need them, cause he cant get them

Virtuous
10-06-2013, 05:32 PM
I do not liive in heaven.

Some people around me drink milk but that's only because they are Eastern European Balto-Slavic Eastern Baltic car thiefs who perform special tasks in Estonia.

:coffee: <----- that is milk btw

SilverKnight
10-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Lactose tolerant people, we ROCK~~! :D

Permafrost
10-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Of course I adore milk. In fact, if I could, I would use it in the shower instead of water.

Not only is it healthy, it is indispensable. It is not possible for you to function biologically without ingesting fatty food which raise your HDL cholesterol.

Smaug
10-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Only dwarfs are not able to drink mjölk!

I bet you Atlantic guys where lactose intolerant wogs before the Germaic invasions :cool:

No, we didn't mix with inferior Germanics, we have always been superior.

Loki
10-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Lactose tolerant people, we ROCK~~! :D

I always knew you were ubermensch.

Neanderthal
10-06-2013, 05:38 PM

Hey Loki, create a Milk Ubermensch Brotherhood permission group. :)

SilverKnight
10-06-2013, 05:40 PM

;) so do you

Gauthier
10-06-2013, 05:48 PM
I drink a litre for breakfast. Chocolate flavored is delicious too.

Permafrost
10-06-2013, 05:54 PM
What about mixing it with orange juice, though?

For example today I ate fish stew, wedge of cheese, yogurt, then lots of acid orange juice and milk (one after the other). My stomach feels kinda funny.

Jackson
10-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Oh yeah don't put milk in a dirty pint of beer and cider. I had nightmares for a couple of days after.

Hevo
10-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Proud milk drinker here aswell.:thumbs up

el22
10-06-2013, 06:10 PM
This is the first time I hear that we're lactose intolerant. The only advice adults gave us as children, was to not eat milk or yogurt within two hours after eating fish (or the reverse) because it makes reaction.

Corvus
10-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Milk is amazing i agree. Pretty much grew up on the stuff. Never broken a bone yet too.

Same with me and once again an indication that I am a real Norseman :cool:

Albion
10-06-2013, 06:17 PM
The milk in Syria tasted really good compared to American milk. Probably because it had less chemicals and preservatives in it. I had that shit everyday there.

American milk is UHT whereas most of the rest of the world isn't.

I usually drink water and eat vegetable dishes.

I sometimes drink tea but I'm not satisfied with the fact I buy it. I think certain harmful additives might be hiding behind "flavours" that many tea kinds contain. Also, I don't know where exactly they are grown.

Picking your own herbs might be a good idea.

Tea is made from Camellia sinensis, it is essentially a dried herb. You pick the young, tender leaves (the old ones are bitter and horrible) and then dry them and crush them to make tea. You can then either roast the leaves or do a number of different things to them which is where the different types of tea - green, red, black, et cetera... come from.
If you live in a mild climate (like zone 8 or 9), you can cultivated tea plants outside.

http://sushinow.com/pics/supplies/Tea-Leaves-Picked.jpg

http://englishwithjo.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/tea_plantation.jpg

Best tea comes from cool, wet climates btw, the plants take longer to grow and it imparts a rich flavour. They have to be safe from frost in spring though because it will damage and sometimes kill the tender new leaves (the leaves tea is made from).

What do you mean by that?

I mean Americans drink UHT (Ultra-high-temperature) processed milk whereas the rest of the world doesn't (with the exception of a few countries in Europe). One effect of this process is a "burnt" taste in the milk and it is very apparent if you're not used to it.

Ultra-high temperature processing, (less often) ultra-heat treatment (both abbreviated UHT), or ultra-pasteurization is the sterilization of food by heating it for an extremely short period, around 1–2 seconds, at a temperature exceeding 135°C (275°F), which is the temperature required to kill spores in milk.[1] The most common UHT product is milk, but the process is also used for fruit juices, cream, soy milk, yogurt, wine, soups, honey, and stews.[1] UHT milk was invented in the 1960s, and became generally available for consumption in the 1970s.[2]
High heat during the UHT process can cause Maillard browning and change the taste and smell of dairy products.[3]

UHT milk has a typical shelf life of six to nine months, until opened. [when opened it only last for a few days like normal milk. Thus it is good for the supermarkets that don't have to refrigerate it or dispose of it, but not that good for the consumer]It can be contrasted with HTST pasteurization (high temperature/short time), in which the milk is heated to 72°C (161.6°F) for at least 15 seconds.

UHT milk has seen large success in much of Europe, where across the continent as a whole 7 out of 10 Europeans drink it regularly.[6] In fact, in a hot country such as Spain, UHT is preferred due to high costs of refrigerated transportation and "inefficient cool cabinets".[7] Europe's largest manufacturer, Parmalat, had $6 billion of sales in 1999.[6] UHT is less popular in Northern Europe and Scandinavia, particularly in Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom and Ireland. It is also less popular in Greece, where fresh pasteurized milk is the most popular type of milk.

UHT milk as a percentage of total consumption[8]

Country percent
Belgium 96.7
Spain 95.7
France 95.5
Portugal 92.9
Croatia 73
Czech Republic 71.4
Germany 66.1
Switzerland 62.8
Turkey 53.1
Italy 49.8
Poland 48.6
Slovakia 35.5
Hungary 35.1
Austria 20.3
Netherlands 20.2
Ireland 10.9
United Kingdom 8.4
Sweden 5.5
Norway 5.3
Finland 2.4
Greece 0.9
Denmark 0.0

Milk in Northern Europe is pasteurized using different methods and actually tastes closer to natural milk than UHT. I had UHT before, it's OK in tea but I wouldn't drink it raw or have it with cereal or anything like that. It's crap.

Empecinado
10-06-2013, 06:17 PM
I used to drink cow milk, now I only drink fresh goat milk fed with grass, is healthier and has more protein than the cow one, and IMO tastes better.

ALSh
10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
This is the first time I hear that we're lactose intolerant. The only advice adults gave us as children, was to not eat milk or yogurt within two hours after eating fish (or the reverse) because it makes reaction.

It happens nothing, i don't know why we have such idea for this.

Jackson
10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
American milk is UHT whereas most of the rest of the world isn't.

Tea is made from Camellia sinensis, it is essentially a dried herb. You pick the young, tender leaves (the old ones are bitter and horrible) and then dry them and crush them to make tea. You can then either roast the leaves or do a number of different things to them which is where the different types of tea - green, red, black, et cetera... come from.
If you live in a mild climate (like zone 8 or 9), you can cultivated tea plants outside.

Best tea comes from cool, wet climates btw, the plants take longer to grow and it imparts a rich flavour. They have to be safe from frost in spring though because it will damage and sometimes kill the tender new leaves (the leaves tea is made from).

I mean Americans drink UHT (Ultra-high-temperature) processed milk whereas the rest of the world doesn't (with the exception of a few countries in Europe). One effect of this process is a "burnt" taste in the milk and it is very apparent if you're not used to it.

Milk in Northern Europe is pasteurized using different methods and actually tastes closer to natural milk than UHT. I had UHT before, it's OK in tea but I wouldn't drink it raw or have it with cereal or anything like that. It's crap.

UHT is horrible, i'd rather drink liquid fat.

Baldur
10-06-2013, 06:25 PM
i hate milk.

Albion
10-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Why consume fats and sugar and then put effort in loosing it. I think it's easier to cut consumption in the first place. Also, that is nature friendly :D

Because a there are different types of fats and sugars, a many of them are essential for us to function.

This reason might be only for men but: to get muscles.

You have to bulk on carbs first, then switch over to protein and cut down on the carbs a bit.

Well sexual selection still works on aesthetics, not wishful thinking and logic. Sorry to disappoint you, but women are attracted to your physique more than they are to your brain.

Only by chance. It's related to areas which mostly support pastoralism. Germany and England have vast wheat fields now, but in the past the varieties weren't as good and there was a much bigger emphasis on vegetables and livestock. England had agriculture based on sheep and cows for much of its history.
Cattle can be overwintered in NW Europe without too much trouble and can be fed on hay collected in late summer. The grasslands are rich due to the high rainfall, decent soils and long day length in summer meaning a lot of cattle can be raised.
In contrast, in Russia and Eastern Europe it would have been harder to overwinter cattle, meaning most would have been slaughtered and consumed in winter. The summers are also hotter and drier, limiting grass growth. Russia has steppes and vast areas of grassland, but the grasslands there can support less cattle per acre than those in NW Europe.
And finally the south is just too hot and dry in summer, the grasslands there soon become overgrazed and depleted. Besides, the climate is milder and they can focus more heavily on crops which are a more efficient use of land.

Corvus
10-06-2013, 06:32 PM

I don`t drink alcohol and don`t smoke as well, anyway I doubt that ascetism when it comes to nutrition is the right way too choose.
Life is too short to renounce all the pleasure.

Temujin
10-06-2013, 06:37 PM

The true nomadic Mongol cannot survive without milk. You are giving away your true identity. ;)

I like cow milk.
I like goat milk.
I like fermented mare's milk.
I like cheese made of sheep milk.

el22
10-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Btw, more than milk I prefer yogurt diluted with water; we call it 'dhalle'. I tried to translate it in English but the online dictionary didn't have an entry. Does English have a word for this?

Jackson
10-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Btw, more than milk I prefer yogurt diluted with water; we call it 'dhalle'. I tried to translate it in English but the online dictionary didn't have an entry. Does English have a word for this?

Wet yoghurt?

SilverKnight
10-06-2013, 06:43 PM
What about mixing it with orange juice, though?

For example today I ate fish stew, wedge of cheese, yogurt, then lots of acid orange juice and milk (one after the other). My stomach feels kinda funny.

It sounds like Mori sońando (died dreaming) a popular Dominican beverage, where orange juice is added to milk in a balanced quantity.. sometimes condensated milk is added and some vanilla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morir_so%C3%B1ando

http://www.mind-over-batter.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/morir-sonando4.jpg

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/6CyVbih4zOY/maxresdefault.jpg

Skerdilaid
10-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Wet yoghurt?

lol

ALSh
10-06-2013, 06:44 PM

Dhalle is not just a simple mix of yogurt with water.

Temujin
10-06-2013, 06:52 PM
I guess there is no place for me in the Mongol world anymore. I will never be the same again :cry

Now. I hope you are happy with what yuo've done to me.

I haven't done anything to you. Not yet. ;) There's plenty of place for the vegetarians in our proud Mongol community.

el22
10-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Wet yoghurt?

That's more like a description than a word. I guess it's not a common drink to earn a proper name. We consume it instead of water, especially in summer, and it's more manly than milk.

Albion
10-06-2013, 06:54 PM
No, we didn't mix with inferior Germanics, we have always been superior.

Irish were basically transhumance nomads herding cattle when the English invaded. That at least argues that they may have been lactose tolerant. In Friesland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Friesian_(sheep)) and a few other regions they have sheep bred to produce milk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_milk). It might be a thing for struggling hill farmers in Wales to think about (seriously, not trolling you because your Welsh. Wool prices have actually collapsed in the UK - it costs more to shear them than the wool is worth but has to be done. Also, the price of meat is't so good for farmers either and no one eats mutton, older sheep anymore).
Sheep and goat mil is available in the UK, but it's not widespread and is a high priced niche product. Might be a good idea for sheep farmers in Northern England, Wales and Scotland to really start advertising the benefits of it though and raise milk breeds as well as meat breeds. This will also have the effect of making lamb and mutton fetch better
prices as the supply of sheep for meat drops.

Milk composition analysis, per 100 grams:

Protein: Cow 3.2, Sheep 5.4
Fat: Cow 3.9, Sheep 6.0
Carbohydrates: Cow 4.8, Sheep 5.1
Energy:
kcal Cow 66, Sheep 95
kJ Cow 275, Sheep 396
Calcium: Cow 120, Sheep 170

So sheep milk is more nutritious. Never tried it myself, but heard it's quite pleasant. I've had goats milk and that tasted quite nice, probably tastes similar to that (similar, distantly related animals). The only negative is that the yield is a lot lower, but sheep can be kept in the uplands whereas cows can't, or could be treated like lowland sheep (there's a distinction in the UK, lowlands are less hardy breeds that get big quickly whereas uplands grow slower in the poorer uplands but are hardy and produce nicer meat).

Temujin
10-06-2013, 06:56 PM
kamane are you vegetarian?

I tried to be vegan once. I don't know what's got into me. I lasted for a month feeling like a tiger who wasn't given enough meat.

Leliana
10-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Milk is stronk in Germany and Austria! :cool: ;) I grew up with loads of milk and I still need milk for breakfast and two or three glasses of milk per day. I also like dairy meals! Lots of meals of our Austrian cousine are dairy meals, like Pfannkuchen, Apfelstrudel, Germknödel...:dance nerd

We need a 'Milk Übermensch' usergroup and an usertitle banner! All 'Untermensch Lactose Intolerant' people need to join the 'Fail genes' group. :XFingers:

Corvus
10-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Milk is stronk in Germany and Austria! :cool: ;) I grew up with loads of milk and I still need milk for breakfast and two or three glasses of milk per day. I also like dairy meals! Lots of meals of our Austrian cousine are dairy meals, like Pfannkuchen, Apfelstrudel, Germknödel...:dance nerd

We need a 'Milk Übermensch' usergroup and an usertitle banner! :XFingers:

Indeed its part of the culture. Milk is a basic ingrediant in almost all famous sweet German dishes

EDMONDI
10-06-2013, 07:11 PM
I've never really been into milk. I've always preferred drinking water or mixing water with Greek yogurt.

Jackson
10-06-2013, 07:14 PM

We need a 'Milk Übermensch' usergroup and an usertitle banner! All 'Untermensch Lactose Intolerant' people need to join the 'Fail genes' group. :XFingers:

Haha that would be an interesting group. Or Milkaholics Anonymous. Definitely it's good to drink lots (or at least a reasonable amount) of milk. I drink a fair bit of tea too so i get extra milk from that.

I find i always need to drink milk if i have dairy chocolate at all, like i have an unpleasant feeling after eating it that can only be cured by milk for some reason.

Temujin
10-06-2013, 07:23 PM
In some countries only pasteurised or homogenised milk can be sold legally. On the top of that, you get all kinds of additives milk: extra calcium, extra vitamin D to absorb the Calcium, extra whatever local regulations allow to add. Then different levels of reduced fat milk. Sometime you need look for a cartoon of plain whole milk in the store. ;) It seldom tastes as good as milk at my grandparents' home which are living in rural area.

Anyway, I am not a milkaholic, but I do drink milk often. I also like goat's milk. It tastes good.

Aladdin
10-06-2013, 07:24 PM
~~

Roy
10-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Milk is only advised by dietitians for small children. I suspect that I have lactose intolerance so I don't drink and I can't comprehend what's so special in Milk.

Jackson
10-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Milk is only advised by dietitian for small children. I suspect that I have lactose intolerancy so I don't drink and I can't comprehend what's so special in Milk.

It's extremely refreshing and tastes good.

Blackout
10-06-2013, 07:36 PM

Jackson, have you not heard? Cravendale tastes so good, the Cows want it back! :lol:

Jackson
10-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Jackson, have you not heard? Cravendale tastes so good, the Cows want it back! :lol:

Haha i have indeed. :rolleyes:

Corvus
10-06-2013, 07:39 PM

And it contains lots of calcium which is good for bones and muscle development.

Intresting to note is that apart from calcium milk contains water, carbohydrates, fat, protein, vitamins and minerals. Lactose is the carbohydrate sugar in milk that has to be broken by the enzyme lactase to become digestible
Less than 40 percent of the world's population can digest milk after childhood. Descendants from Northern Europe have the highest probability of producing enzymes for the digestion of milk into adulthood.

Vukodav
10-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Best milk I ever tried was on the mountains, mountain herbs that cow eats probably gives that special flavour. regular industrial milk taste like piss compared to it.

Blackout
10-06-2013, 07:47 PM
And it contains lots of calcium which is good for bones and muscle development.

Intresting to note is that apart from calcium milk contains water, carbohydrates, fat, protein, vitamins and minerals. Lactose is the carbohydrate sugar in milk that has to be broken by the enzyme lactase to become digestible

Milk is more or less a meal itself. http://messenger.msn.com/MMM2006-04-19_17.00/Resource/emoticons/tongue_smile.gif

Less than 40 percent of the world's population can digest milk after childhood. Descendants from Northern Europe have the highest probability of producing enzymes for the digestion of milk into adulthood.

With some exceptions, as i'm 100% lactose tolerant.

amerinese
10-06-2013, 07:51 PM
I drank it like water all through my childhood. I'm fully lactose-tolerant. Never had a broken bone either.

Manifest Destiny
10-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I work for a dairy company. I get milk at a huge discount. Even goat milk, if I wanted it (which I don't). :cool:

Oneeye
10-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Milk depletes the calcium from your bones

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

This article is written by a Jew. Jews tend to be lactose intolerant. Therefore, she is biased.

Loki
10-06-2013, 08:00 PM
I always drank lots of milk. Never broken any bones (and believe me I tried :p ).

Temujin
10-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Best milk I ever tried was on the mountains, mountain herbs that cow eats probably gives that special flavour. regular industrial milk taste like piss compared to it.

Only today I watched a documentary in which one environmentalist proposed to save small farming communities in Carpathians suggesting the area contains a higher variety of grasses and flowers because it was never fertilised using chemical fertlisers. The small farming communities are also going out of business due to EU health regulations.

Temujin
10-06-2013, 08:03 PM
I work for a dairy company. I get milk at a huge discount. Even goat milk, if I wanted it (which I don't). :cool:

Unbelievable. ;)

Insuperable
10-06-2013, 08:05 PM
It is really amazing how you haven't broken any bones (me too). Sitting by the PC all the time can be quite dangerous...:p

I have twisted my ankle this summer very bad though

alb0zfinest
10-06-2013, 08:06 PM

We drink the real stuff loki, Raki brother. You northerners go with the sissy approach :D

amerinese
10-06-2013, 08:11 PM
It is really amazing how you haven't broken any bones (me too). Sitting by the PC all the time can be quite dangerous...:p

Lulz. I mean throughout my childhood, wrecking my bicycle, falling out of trees, etc. I didn't even own a computer until I was maybe 11 or 12 years old. It was an 8-bit Atari with 16K of RAM and a cassette drive.

Jackson
10-06-2013, 08:12 PM

Well i've had plenty of chances from skateboarding and other things, and the worst i ever did was shear off a couple of teeth, although i don't really think that counts technically.

B01AB20
10-06-2013, 08:15 PM
I used to drink 1 liter/day of milk during my childhood and adolescence, but when I became adult milk was not good anymore :p and I think it affects badly my digestions, so I let the milk be... let it be, let it be.

Now I drink horchata, of a similar texture as milk but very different characteristics.

And well, I just find out in this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata) that horchata is much more ancient than I thought and that spanish horchata was an invention of the moors.

Horchata (/ɔrˈtʃɑːtə/; Spanish: [oɾˈtʃata]) is the name of several kinds of traditional beverages, made of ground almonds, sesame seeds, rice, barley, or tigernuts (chufas).

Various false etymologies exist – one legend links the origins of the name to James I of Aragon, who after being given the drink for the first time by a local in Alboraia, was said to have exclaimed in Catalan "Açň és or, xata!" :eek: ("That's gold, darling!")

In Spain, it usually refers to orxata de xufa (horchata de chufa), made from tigernuts, water, and sugar.

Originally from Valencia, the idea of making horchata from tigernuts comes from the period of Muslim presence in Valencia (from the eighth to thirteenth centuries).

Tigernut horchata is also used in place of milk by the lactose intolerant.

Albion
10-06-2013, 08:17 PM

Don't have anything like that in milk here, but milk from Jersey Cattle in the Channel Islands is famously very creamy. Lamb here tends to have a nice flavour when its from the hills because there's a lot of heather and peat grasslands and it imparts a rich flavour in the meat.

Atlantic Islander
10-06-2013, 08:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0dO404GOvk

:thumb001:

Better than anywhere else.

Albion
10-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Only today I watched a documentary in which one environmentalist proposed to save small farming communities in Carpathians suggesting the area contains a higher variety of grasses and flowers because it was never fertilised using chemical fertlisers. The small farming communities are also going out of business due to EU health regulations.

Yes, that's correct. Over fertilization with nitrogen promotes lush grass growth, but wildflowers get smothered out and can't compete. The richest wildflower meadows are always found in infertile grasslands. Here that is usually chalk areas.
As for EU regulations, the UK follows them to the letter whilst other countries simply ignore them, so they greatly burden our farmers. Also, there are restrictions on where things can be grown, so in some cases countries are restricted what they can farm by being part of the Common Agricultural Policy.
One strange example is Finland. In the Aaland Islands a few people grow very hardy, early varieties of grapes. They make a bit of wine from them, but they can't sell it because Finland isn't recognized as a wine producing country by the EU, so they're not allowed (although even if it was, they;d have to approach the state alcohol monopoly).

Albion
10-06-2013, 08:24 PM
I used to drink 1 liter/day of milk during my childhood and adolescence, but when I became adult milk was not good anymore :p and I think it affects badly my digestions, so I let the milk be... let it be, let it be.

Now I drink horchata, of a similar texture as milk but very different characteristics.

And well, I just find out in this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata) that horchata is much more ancient than I thought and that spanish horchata was an invention of the moors.

Milk and dairy products certainly take longer to digest. Go to a health food store and try Whey protein - sits on your stomach for ages.

Atlantic Islander
10-06-2013, 08:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD1SBZYPeHE

Smaug
10-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Irish were basically transhumance nomads herding cattle when the English invaded. That at least argues that they may have been lactose tolerant. In Friesland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Friesian_(sheep)) and a few other regions they have sheep bred to produce milk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_milk). It might be a thing for struggling hill farmers in Wales to think about (seriously, not trolling you because your Welsh. Wool prices have actually collapsed in the UK - it costs more to shear them than the wool is worth but has to be done. Also, the price of meat is't so good for farmers either and no one eats mutton, older sheep anymore).
Sheep and goat mil is available in the UK, but it's not widespread and is a high priced niche product. Might be a good idea for sheep farmers in Northern England, Wales and Scotland to really start advertising the benefits of it though and raise milk breeds as well as meat breeds. This will also have the effect of making lamb and mutton fetch better
prices as the supply of sheep for meat drops.

Milk composition analysis, per 100 grams:

Protein: Cow 3.2, Sheep 5.4
Fat: Cow 3.9, Sheep 6.0
Carbohydrates: Cow 4.8, Sheep 5.1
Energy:
kcal Cow 66, Sheep 95
kJ Cow 275, Sheep 396
Calcium: Cow 120, Sheep 170

So sheep milk is more nutritious. Never tried it myself, but heard it's quite pleasant. I've had goats milk and that tasted quite nice, probably tastes similar to that (similar, distantly related animals). The only negative is that the yield is a lot lower, but sheep can be kept in the uplands whereas cows can't, or could be treated like lowland sheep (there's a distinction in the UK, lowlands are less hardy breeds that get big quickly whereas uplands grow slower in the poorer uplands but are hardy and produce nicer meat).

No problem :P

That's very interesting actually. Thank you for the input.

Albion
10-06-2013, 08:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD1SBZYPeHE

Azores are perfect, cooler mountains in Madeira might be good too. There's also a small tea plantation in Cornwall, that's another good climate for it. I'd say the most suitable areas in Europe would be the Azores, Cornwall, Brittany, Galicia, Asturias, Isle of Man, maybe even coastal areas of Ireland (they don't get much snow or serious frosts).

Pjeter Pan
10-06-2013, 09:04 PM
I drink around 3 glasses of milk everyday, and eat white cheese everyday. Who says southerners can't drink milk!!

rhiannon
10-07-2013, 10:14 AM
We were forced to drink goatsmilk exclusively at my dad's. He had goats and he or my stepmom basically milked them and poured the milk through a cheesecloth....and that was it. I hated it, but it was the only milk on hand for things like cereal or ovaltine lol. At my mom's we drank cowsmilk, which tastes about a billion times better IMO. Organic cowsmilk is the best, both in taste and in conscience :)

Albion
10-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Albion, I wouldn't bother growing special herbs myself.

There are plenty of plants suitable for that in natural meadows.

More of a hunter gatherer than a farmer, eh? Not much in our meadows, even with wildflowers. All the useful plants tend to be in the woods and along rivers. Dandelions are pretty common and can be eaten as salad, their roots can be roasted and ground into a caffeine-free coffee substitute (which sort of misses the whole point of coffee, but still...).
Ramsons (a wild onion) can be found near rivers and streams, there are lots of herbs and veg in nature. Try replacing something like potatoes though, and you'll struggle to find something comparable.

Graham
10-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Barely drink it.

Even have porridge with water.

Don't drink tea or coffee.

Jackson
10-07-2013, 03:32 PM
More of a hunter gatherer than a farmer, eh? Not much in our meadows, even with wildflowers. All the useful plants tend to be in the woods and along rivers. Dandelions are pretty common and can be eaten as salad, their roots can be roasted and ground into a caffeine-free coffee substitute (which sort of misses the whole point of coffee, but still...).
Ramsons (a wild onion) can be found near rivers and streams, there are lots of herbs and veg in nature. Try replacing something like potatoes though, and you'll struggle to find something comparable.

Turnips maybe?

Windischer
10-07-2013, 03:34 PM
goat milk tastes much better than cow milk.
by milk i mean normal milk, not the pasterized white water from grocery.

Albion
10-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Turnips maybe?

It has to be a wild plant, hunter gathering in a farmer's field is cheating. :D

Jackson
10-07-2013, 03:40 PM
It has to be a wild plant, hunter gathering in a farmer's field is cheating. :D

Well i meant as an alternative to the potato, but nevermind. :P

Edit: Oh wait i misread your post haha, don't worry.

inactive_member
10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
I am with Temujin and others who prefer goat milk and full-cream unmodified cow milk. ;)

Albion
10-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Depends on what herbs you are searching for. To be honest, one of my family members picks herbs, not me. My parents are moving "to the nature" from the town. There is everything there: unpolluted lands, forests, streams. Just too bad I'm grown up now.

I do not have plans to completely replace the products I eat now. Don't think I don't enjoy food. I do, but I simply look at quality and avoid the most unhealthy ones.

Where are you, Russia? I'd love to move back into the countryside, not necessarily wilderness but to a farm. There's usually a lot of nature around agricultural land, all sorts of mammals and birds. Little things like watching the swallows and swifts in summer and seeing the house martins nest. The starlings swarming or whatever it's called is a nice site in autumn:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/11/4/1257330995832/Starlings-return-for-wint-004.jpg

Then there are the wildflowers all around, especially in the hedgerows. Areas of woodland and marsh by the rivers and streams and the game found in them. The countryside is great, unfortunately it's become expensive to own a bit of it in England now since the rich keep buying it all up. The only cheap bits are in the uplands where they can't keep their horses.
Scotland has a lot of nice countryside and some wilderness and is still relatively cheap though. Half the country is essentially empty.

King Claus
10-07-2013, 04:17 PM
i only dislike milk on a empty stomach

King Claus
10-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Barely drink it.

Even have porridge with water.

Don't drink tea or coffee.
Porridge with water, fucking insane that is :p

MissProvocateur
10-07-2013, 04:24 PM

I'd pay to see that. :D

Jackson
10-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Porridge with water, fucking insane that is :p

Indeed. Porridge is only good with milk or more porridge.

Aurora
10-07-2013, 04:33 PM
bleh, I cannot drink milk plain, hot cocoa yes. When I was a kid I loved drinking a glass of milk with Italian food. I only did that until I was about 8 or 9 years old. I will have it in cereal though. Fresh goats milk is fine, but if bought from the store it's not any good, imo.

lI
10-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I love the taste of fresh milk. Not just cow's milk, goat's milk tastes even better but only when it's unpasteurized.

Porridge with water, fucking insane that is http://www.theapricity.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.pngGood quality oat flakes need neither milk nor boiling while something like Quaker Oats will taste like crap regardless of how you prepare it :p

Ramsons (a wild onion) can be found near rivers and streams, there are lots of herbs and veg in nature. Try replacing something like potatoes though, and you'll struggle to find something comparable.Goosefoot. Especially towards the end of the summer when its seeds ripen. It's actually more nutritious than potatoes because it has plenty of good quality proteins, not just carbohydrates - something that cannot be said about potatoes. It's like the wild version of quinoa, except that with the goosefoot you can also eat its leaves.
Also Mallow. During the summer there's blackberries and yew berries. Oh, and acorns can be used for making bread (putting them in a sack and hanging it onto some branch by the brook will make the tannins wash away in a few weeks and they will no longer be bitter.
BTW ramsons are every-bloody-where in the parks (not woods!) of London. Not that I'm complaining, I eat heaps of them in Spring. Same can be said for Garlic Mustard.

But herbs for tea are more plentiful and varied in all parks.

^ Rubbish propagandaThe official stats seem to support it: the world's 2nd biggest milk consumer - Sweden - also tops the ranking for hip fractures.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2957223/table/tab1/
Age standardized hip fracture rates (per 100,000) across different continents.

<tbody>
Continent
Country
Men
Women

North America
United States, Minnesota

United States

Europe
England

Sweden

Norway,

Oceania
New Zealand

Australia

South America
Mexico

Argentina

Africa
Cameroon

Asia
China, Beijing

Iran

Japan

Kuwait

Singapore

Hong Kong

</tbody>

In the context of Europe Greeks aren't tall:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#Average_height_around_the_world

Swedes are only as tall as Lithuanians, Finns are shorter - even though both Finns and Swedes consume way more milk.
Swiss aren't renowned for their height despite of consuming bucketfuls of milk.

So, it seems that there's some degree of correlation between both wealth vs milk consumption as well as wealth vs height but even there it's quite limited (Kazakhs - taller than Serbs? Plz... Though they do consume much more milk, so they should be)

Mans not hot
10-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I'd pay to see that. :D
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WACJ3lQ8YGM/UOylwYlS40I/AAAAAAAAC8c/6U8Nmt4W6vs/s640/boobsday-amazing-boobs-girl-gif1.gif

Manifest Destiny
10-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Unbelievable. ;)

I don't even like the smell of goat milk. No way I'd ever drink it.

amerinese
10-07-2013, 11:18 PM
I don't care for drinking goat milk, but I love goat cheese, fresh or aged.

I have heard fermented mare's milk is pretty good too. Real steppe warrior stuff.

Temujin
10-08-2013, 05:49 PM
I don't even like the smell of goat milk. No way I'd ever drink it.

Would you ever try mare's milk fermented in a leather bag? ;)

Manifest Destiny
10-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Would you ever try mare's milk fermented in a leather bag? ;)

I think I'll pass, thanks. :p

Temujin
10-08-2013, 06:05 PM
I think I'll pass, thanks. :p

Drinking one type of milk is like eating the same type of cheese never trying other cheeses. You don't have the taste for the dairy products. :p

Peikko
10-08-2013, 06:11 PM

Nordic Facade

Manifest Destiny
10-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Drinking one type of milk is like eating the same type of cheese never trying other cheeses. You don't have the taste for the dairy products. :p

You mean there's other types of cheese besides Kraft Singles?

Windischer
10-08-2013, 09:22 PM
kumys for dresden!

Albion
10-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Goosefoot. Especially towards the end of the summer when it's seeds ripen, it's actually more nutritious than potatoes because it has plenty of good quality proteins, not just carbohydrates - something that cannot be said about potatoes. It's like the wild version of quinoa, except that with the goosefoot you can also eat its leaves.

Yeah, the oxalic acid will give you kidney stones eventually if you don't wash it or soak it overnight. The Ertobolle mesolithic culture in Denmark left evidence of consuming it, so it's a very old food. Such a shame it's been forgotten as a crop, it probably could have been very useful if cultivated and bred into good varieties. I had a few plants of it growing as a weed among the potatoes this year.
It's not as rich in carbs which are what ectomorphs like me need, but higher in protein like you mention. Another crop that unfortunately isn't cultivated much for food now is hemp, the seeds of that are very rich in protein, 30g per 100 grams vs 5.42g for peas, 4g for goosefoot, 2g for potatoes, the only thing that beats hemp that I can think of is soy beans at 36g, but soya promotes estrogen production so I'd avoid it like the plague just to be safe.

Also Mallow. During the summer there's blackberries and yew berries. Oh, and acorns can be used for making bread (putting them in a sack and hanging it onto some branch by the brook will make the tannins wash away in a few weeks and they will no longer be bitter.
BTW ramsons are every-bloody-where in the parks (not woods!) of London. Not that I'm complaining, I eat heaps of them in Spring. Same can be said for Garlic Mustard.

Yeah, ramsons are everywhere by the rivers here. I remember playing in the woods as a kid, the woods stank of them. I tried planting some before, but the area wasn't damp enough.
Never tried Yew berries. What are they like?

My stepfather got a leaflet from an official public healthcare provider in UK where the same things that you've just called "propaganda" were stated.

Anyway, the official stats seem to support it: world's 2nd biggest milk consumer - Sweden - also tops the ranking for hip fractures.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2957223/table/tab1/
Age standardized hip fracture rates (per 100,000) across different continents.

<tbody>
Continent
Country
Men
Women

North America
United States, Minnesota

United States

Europe
England

Sweden

Norway,

Oceania
New Zealand

Australia

South America
Mexico

Argentina

Africa
Cameroon

Asia
China, Beijing

Iran

Japan

Kuwait

Singapore

Hong Kong

</tbody>

People live a few years long in these countries though, it could just be older folks falling over.

Manifest Destiny
10-09-2013, 01:07 AM
kumys for dresden!

?

Temujin
10-09-2013, 01:11 AM
?

Yes, Kumys for Dresden. ;)

http://www.roadplanet.ru/img/reports/1258/img/01.jpg

Svipdag
10-09-2013, 01:28 AM

No, YOU are the weird one.

TRAHIT SVA QVEMQVE VOLVPTAS -- PVBLIVS VERGILIVS MARO

B01AB20
10-09-2013, 11:51 AM
No, YOU are the weird one.

TRAHIT SVA QVEMQVE VOLVPTAS -- PVBLIVS VERGILIVS MARO

latin or lithuanian?

it must be latin I think, but it seems like lithuanian to me. :(

TRAHIT SUA QUEMQUE VOLUPTAS -- PUBLIUS VERGILIUS MARO.

Now it seems like latin :)

what a relief.

tEhSaint
10-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Map is obviously utter shite. Especially if you consider how rich southern Europe is on dairy products. Nearly on all Cretan village people live from milk and dairy-related products. Numerous different kinds of cheese, feta, mizithra and the list is pretty much endless. Probably this is the same for all other southern euros, so you cant be lactose intolerant (30-60% according to map, lol) and at the same time live from dairy products.

As far as I am concerned, I am very lactose tolerant and I eat loads of dairy products on daily basis without problems. BUT milk (real milk I mean, not bottled) is teh pure shite , smells an' shit .

Oh, please... bottled cow milk is not a real milk... keep that in mind. Most of the times this shit doesn't even smell like milk. It's more like a mild milk-flavored water with white color.

Lábaru
10-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I drink at least a liter of milk daily, often more, I like these three.
http://www.celmart.es/110300067-6062-thickbox/.jpg
http://www.telollevoatucasa.com/251-thickbox/leche-asturiana-entera-15-l.jpg
http://www.grupolechepascual.es/img/news/1203270652x.jpg

B01AB20
10-09-2013, 12:34 PM
I drink at least a liter of milk daily, often more, I like these three.
http://www.celmart.es/110300067-6062-thickbox/.jpg

milk is called 'celta' :D

and this is called 'iberico' :cool:

http://tom4te2.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/jamon-iberico.jpg

'enough said', like they say.

iberian façade now and forever.

kabeiros
10-09-2013, 12:34 PM
We use magic and turn it into cheese, butter or yogurt which lasts longer than milk and tastes better :p

The Illyrian Warrior
10-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Can't say same for lactose intolerant persons, neither for me even if i'm lactose tolerant. :)

Drawing-slim
10-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Milk in adult age is for weird creatures. No spieces in the planet likes to drink milk after a certain infant age. As they shouldn't.
No wonder you northerners remain fucked up looking looking like little babies at adult age:D grow up!

Plain yogurt flavored yogurt & French feta cheese however, that's for adults:cool:

Lábaru
10-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I forgot this one, also easy to find, I recommend it to anyone who is in Spain.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SxdSN_WBKQs/T01ij-4vI3I/AAAAAAAAABw/i47H124GwDk/s1600/Leche+fresca+en+lidl.+En+dia+no+tienen.jpg

Pjeter Pan
10-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Here in Canada we drink milk in bags
http://i43.tinypic.com/2yuj5fr.jpg

Lábaru
10-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Here in Canada we drink milk in bags
http://i43.tinypic.com/2yuj5fr.jpg

I remember having this in my childhood, even the same plastic jar, what memories!

Corvus
10-09-2013, 01:04 PM
I forgot this one, also easy to find, I recommend it to anyone who is in Spain.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SxdSN_WBKQs/T01ij-4vI3I/AAAAAAAAABw/i47H124GwDk/s1600/Leche+fresca+en+lidl.+En+dia+no+tienen.jpg

In Germany and Austria milk is hardly ever available in bottles and it is much more expensive per l

http://www.spar.at/content/website_spar_at/de_AT/index/spar-marken/SPARQualitaetsmarken/Import_Qualitaetsmarken/11_food/04_molkereiprodukte/spar_vollmilch_351l_1176629/_jcr_content/image.resizeTo.220x280.jpg

Lábaru
10-09-2013, 01:18 PM
In Germany and Austria milk is hardly ever available in bottles and it is much more expensive per l

http://www.spar.at/content/website_spar_at/de_AT/index/spar-marken/SPARQualitaetsmarken/Import_Qualitaetsmarken/11_food/04_molkereiprodukte/spar_vollmilch_351l_1176629/_jcr_content/image.resizeTo.220x280.jpg

hehe I know, the funny thing is that the picture I post is of a Lidl supermarket.

iNird
10-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Well humans are the only animals to drink another animals' milk.

Just saying.

Lábaru
10-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Just saying.

http://www.planetacurioso.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/perra-amamantando-gato.jpg

Empecinado
10-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Just saying.

Snakes do too.

Gauthier
10-09-2013, 03:18 PM

In Mexico's case, the map came close. In Southern Mexico the largest population of Amerindians/Pred. Amerindian mestizos is concentrated, which tend to be intolerant.

lI
10-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Map is obviously utter shite. Especially if you consider how rich southern Europe is on dairy products. Nearly on all Cretan village people live from milk and dairy-related products. Numerous different kinds of cheese, feta, mizithra and the list is pretty much endless. Probably this is the same for all other southern euros, so you cant be lactose intolerant (30-60% according to map, lol) and at the same time live from dairy products.

As far as I am concerned, I am very lactose tolerant and I eat loads of dairy products on daily basis without problems. BUT milk (real milk I mean, not bottled) is teh pure shite , smells an' shit . Sorry to inform you that you are, in fact, very likely to be lactose intolerant if you only like fermented milk products devoid of lactose but not the real milk.

You should have found out what lactose actually is before calling that map shit. Traditionally fermented cheeses like feta, yoghurts or butter have very little lactose (the very process of fermentation breaks it down), so their usage is no argument for the supposed high frequency of lactase persistence in the adult population.

Yeah, the oxalic acid will give you kidney stones eventually if you don't wash it or soak it overnight. The Ertobolle mesolithic culture in Denmark left evidence of consuming it, so it's a very old food. Such a shame it's been forgotten as a crop, it probably could have been very useful if cultivated and bred into good varieties. I had a few plants of it growing as a weed among the potatoes this year.I didn't know that goosefoot has oxalic acid - the plants which are traditionally known to have lots of it like rhubarb, gooseberries or sorrel taste sour while goosefoot tastes mild - similar to spinach. But it seems like I have been unknowingly preparing it the right way all the time, so, no harm done:

http://healingweeds.blogspot.com/2012/09/lambs-quarters-chenopodium-album.html
Goosefoot is also rich in oxalic acid, so the leaves are best not eaten raw. In order to get the best of it, nutritionally, it is better to blanch the leaves and stems or steam them with a little water until tender (3-5 minutes), leaving the pan open, so that its oxalic acid can evaporate.

But, damn, I tried to find out how much oxalic acid exactly it contains and, apparently, even the innocent stuff like tea, coffee, cocoa, beetroot, cashew nuts and spinach are rich in it :icon_eek:
http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/apjcn/8/1/64.pdf

It's not as rich in carbs which are what ectomorphs like me need, but higher in protein like you mention. Another crop that unfortunately isn't cultivated much for food now is hemp, the seeds of that are very rich in protein, 30g per 100 grams vs 5.42g for peas, 4g for goosefoot, 2g for potatoes, the only thing that beats hemp that I can think of is soy beans at 36g, but soya promotes estrogen production so I'd avoid it like the plague just to be safe.
Hemp is still a very common sight in the wild in Lithuania (the local variety of hemp, not the imported psychedelic varieties) but I haven't seen any in UK.
I remember reading that before the potatoes were first imported people mostly used parsnips for baking in campfires, frying & making puddings.

But it's all just theoretic talks anyway, isn't it? I mean, it's probably not feasible to maintain a pure hunter-gathering lifestyle, unless one actually moves to the countryside.

Yeah, ramsons are everywhere by the rivers here. I remember playing in the woods as a kid, the woods stank of them. I tried planting some before, but the area wasn't damp enough.In central Lithuania they're quite rare despite of the landscape being very marshy and damp, so, I guess, the coldness of winters is also a factor. I actually think they smell nice - like Italian garlic bread...

Never tried Yew berries. What are they like?The aroma is very much like that of melons and they're as sweet but the texture is more gluey. You have to be careful to spit out the cones though - basically, it's like eating cherries: 12 cones could be enough to kill a grown up man.

People live a few years long in these countries though, it could just be older folks falling over.Ok, then maybe it's best to compare Scandinavians with the countries where low consumption of milk is caused by cultural factors rather than poor economical conditions. According to the map posted by Swearengen, Japanese consume very little milk:

<tbody>
Country
Fractures: men
Fractures: women
Life expectancy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy)

Sweden

Norway

Japan

</tbody>

Aunt Hilda
10-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Celts as well.
and Mauritanian :laugh:

Graham
10-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Indeed. Porridge is only good with milk or more porridge.

It works fine with water. If you add Honey.

Only time I drink milk, is for Heartburn or spicy food. 'Sometimes' cereal.

This is my milk, literally.

http://www.thedrum.com/uploads/news/old/12950/master.imgsize3.php.jpg

gregorius
10-10-2013, 05:15 PM
because it comes from titties

Albion
10-10-2013, 08:47 PM
We use magic and turn it into cheese, butter or yogurt which lasts longer than milk and tastes better :p

I'm pretty sure we have cheese, butter and milk in the north. I even have some in my fridge and I'm not even southern.

Jackson
10-10-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm pretty sure we have cheese, butter and milk in the north. I even have some in my fridge and I'm not even southern.

Nothing like a good slice of cheese. Although it makes me sweat under my eyes for some reason.

Albion
10-10-2013, 11:59 PM

Just saying.

No they're not.

Albion
10-11-2013, 12:30 AM
But, damn, I tried to find out how much oxalic acid exactly it contains and, apparently, even the innocent stuff like tea, coffee, cocoa, beetroot, cashew nuts and spinach are rich in it :icon_eek:
http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/apjcn/8/1/64.pdf

Wow, tea is very high in it. Must mostly be neutralized by the boiling water I guess.

Hemp is still a very common sight in the wild in Lithuania (the local variety of hemp, not the imported psychedelic varieties) but I haven't seen any in UK.

There's a dwarf species (Cannabis ruderalis) found in North East Europe, yes. But in the UK hemp has mostly been eradicated because of its similar appearance to the drug. Cannabis ruderalis is lower in THC (the drug in Canabis) than the other two species (sativa - the one formerly cultivated in Europe, and indica). But the THC content crashes when the female plants are pollinated by male plants anyway, so to stop drug cultivation in hemp fields you'd just have to make sure there was a good proportion of male plants in with them.
It's still mostly associated with the drug here, but there are a few farms growing it (https://www.google.com/search?q=hemp+farm+england&aq=f&oq=hemp+farm+england&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8). You need a license to produce it though. It's available in health food stores now too, I drink a glass of hemp protein a day and it keeps me very healthy. It's especially noticeable when you're feeling a bit shitty, like if you have a cold or flu it makes you feel a lot better for much of the day until it wears off. Tastes vile though, like a mixture of dust and soil. Tastes ok with oats and jam in porridge though.

I remember reading that before the potatoes were first imported people mostly used parsnips for baking in campfires, frying & making puddings.

But it's all just theoretic talks anyway, isn't it? I mean, it's probably not feasible to maintain a pure hunter-gathering lifestyle, unless one actually moves to the countryside.

I've heard that about parsnips too. I'm glad we have potatoes, I'm not much fond of parsnips. A lot of hunter gatherers seem to manage their environments indirectly by burning areas of woodland and spreading seeds of certain plants. One would need a lot of good wilderness and it would be a good idea to spread as many wild food plants around it as possible. Probably not practical though, although I guess it could be supplemented with small scale farming (like a crop of potatoes for the winter).

In central Lithuania they're quite rare despite of the landscape being very marshy and damp, so, I guess, the coldness of winters is also a factor. I actually think they smell nice - like Italian garlic bread...

http://linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/mono/allia/alliu/alliursv.jpg
Quite a small area, probably not fully hardy. Ramsons are quite tough for alliums though, considering they're related to mostly dry, hot climate bulbs like onions, shallots and garlic. Chives are perhaps the hardiest alliums though and grow from Europe right through the taiga to the Russian far east.

The aroma is very much like that of melons and they're as sweet but the texture is more gluey. You have to be careful to spit out the cones though - basically, it's like eating cherries: 12 cones could be enough to kill a grown up man.

Wasn't expecting melons.

Ok, then maybe it's best to compare Scandinavians with the countries where low consumption of milk is caused by cultural factors rather than poor economical conditions. According to the map posted by Swearengen, Japanese consume very little milk:

<tbody>
Country
Fractures: men
Fractures: women
Life expectancy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy)

Sweden

Norway

Japan

</tbody>

There might be some truth in it then.

Atlantic Islander
10-11-2013, 12:32 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img22/8783/b7bf.jpg

Hadouken
10-11-2013, 12:37 AM
milk only tastes good with honey or cocoa powder to me

Aunt Hilda
10-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Love milk, can't Imagine my morning without it, whether it's tea, coffee or cereal, I need it.

Lábaru
10-11-2013, 01:45 AM
I'm the only one who drinks milk without adding nothing?

Aunt Hilda
10-11-2013, 01:47 AM
no, I sometimes drink it without adding anything (especially if I'm thirsty and there's no juice around), but I don't find very tasteful, so I usually add something to it.

Insuperable
10-11-2013, 01:52 AM

No, I am here too

Albion
10-11-2013, 01:52 AM

No. I drink it raw too, but not often because it costs too much for that and water is cheaper. I save it for tea and porridge mostly, I only have it raw on the odd occasion or if it goes out of date soon and needs using.

Lábaru
10-11-2013, 01:59 AM
no, I sometimes drink it without adding anything (especially if I'm thirsty and there's no juice around), but I don't find very tasteful, so I usually add something to it.

http://www.asturiasmundial.com/media/clas1.jpg
+
http://www.guia-chocolate.com/rs/53/e9c4455d-a317-4f4c-9f70-108d736bae98/f6c/filename/helado-de-chocolate.gif
+
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_busQxv4_CNk/S_4p2YTe3RI/AAAAAAAAAK8/-gvn4Nt5rgQ/s1600/Batidora.jpg
+
http://exclusivasdiper.com/img/p/50005-832-thickbox.jpg
+
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1042535184/Free-shipping-Wholesale-Disposable-Candy-Color-font-b-plastic-b-font-milk-juice-ice-cream-font.jpg
+
http://mdmujer.com.mx/files/2012/07/3batido-de-chocolate.jpeg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5Q2NK3MD2ZI/TY35luYMHPI/AAAAAAAABSg/F5DbAM0tdTI/s1600/edu%2Bde%2Bcocinero%2B036.jpg

Or maybe vainille.

Lábaru
10-11-2013, 02:02 AM
No. I drink it raw too, but not often because it costs too much for that and water is cheaper. I save it for tea and porridge mostly, I only have it raw on the odd occasion or if it goes out of date soon and needs using.

how much money costs to you a liter of milk?

Aunt Hilda
10-11-2013, 02:20 AM
about 1-2Ł

Albion
10-11-2013, 02:40 AM

About 80p (~0.94 Euro), but I get mine from somewhere cheap at 4 litres for Ł1.60 (~1.89 euros), that's the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

Lábaru
10-11-2013, 02:43 AM
About 80p (~0.94 Euro), but I get mine from somewhere cheap at 4 litres for Ł1.60 (~1.89 euros), that's the cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

1L 0.50 or 0.55 euros the cheapest, white label.
1L 0.85-1.20 Euros high quality milk.

Aunt Hilda
10-11-2013, 03:04 AM
where?

Albion
10-11-2013, 03:28 AM
1L 0.50 or 0.55 euros the cheapest, white label.
1L 0.85-1.20 Euros high quality milk.

Must be cheaper in Spain then. Farmers here complain of low prices though, supermarkets are milking all the profits. :p (lol, that's bad)

Papastratosels26
06-25-2018, 06:26 AM
I drink 1 liter per day xD.