PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of immunity of diplomats?

Annihilus
10-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Putin is going all diva on Dutch government and demanding apology. People had called the cops on a Russian diplomat because he was treating his children in a way that is unacceptable here. Cops came and he was taken in custody, because he resisted his arrest he got very slightly beaten. He and his wife were both drunk btw.

What do you think, should diplomats be immune to the laws of the country they are at?

Pjeter Pan
10-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Fuck no if they cant respect and follow the laws of the country they're living in, they should get the fuck out

Manifest Destiny
10-08-2013, 08:24 PM
No, they shouldn't simply be immune to laws of foreign lands. I do support the notion of embassies being considered sovereign foreign territory, though. But when your outside your embassy, the host nation's laws apply.

Hayalet
10-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Yes, they serve a vital purpose. If they are abusing their immunity though, host country should make a complaint and ask for a replacement.

portusaus
11-26-2013, 06:45 PM
There should only be immunity in regards to religious laws, like Sharia. Diplomats should not be expected to know such trespasses.

The Lawspeaker
01-01-2019, 07:52 AM
I believe that consulates and embassies will always be "foreign soil" but the moment this diplomat leaves his post, he will be the subject to the laws of the country in which this post is situated.

Wanderer
01-07-2019, 10:25 PM
Putin is going all diva on Dutch government and demanding apology. People had called the cops on a Russian diplomat because he was treating his children in a way that is unacceptable here. Cops came and he was taken in custody, because he resisted his arrest he got very slightly beaten. He and his wife were both drunk btw.

What do you think, should diplomats be immune to the laws of the country they are at?

Bad example. You can't mistreat children in public, regardless of diplomatic status. You can be detained by police even as a diplomat. You can be expelled. You cannot, however, be prosecuted.

Putin is a scumbag and thug; the purpose of this sort of commentary from him is to leverage power. Dutch authorities did nothing wrong here.

I believe that consulates and embassies will always be "foreign soil" but the moment this diplomat leaves his post, he will be the subject to the laws of the country in which this post is situated.

This is a popular misconception. Embassies and consulates are still the territory of the host country, even though diplomatic immunity applies. And diplomats still have legal immunity outside of their country's embassy or consulate.

The Lawspeaker
01-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Bad example. You can't mistreat children in public, regardless of diplomatic status. You can be detained by police even as a diplomat. You can be expelled. You cannot, however, be prosecuted.

Putin is a scumbag and thug; the purpose of this sort of commentary from him is to leverage power. Dutch authorities did nothing wrong here.
Absolutely. I can't say that this and the subsequent MH17 stuff gave me any pro-Russian views...

This is a popular misconception. Embassies and consulates are still the territory of the host country, even though diplomatic immunity applies. And diplomats still have legal immunity outside of their country's embassy or consulate.

At least they can expel them.