PDA

View Full Version : Maturity And Numerical Age: Your Thoughts

Frigga
10-20-2009, 02:50 AM
Do you think that maturity is directly correlated with numerical age? Do you think that someone who acts above or below the preconcieved level of maturity dictated by the social norm for their ages are commonplace or rare? Do you think that a lack of maturity in the population as a whole is a sign of a defective society, or more of a nuture vs. nature situation?

Wölfin
10-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Do you think that maturity is directly correlated with numerical age? Do you think that someone who acts above or below the preconcieved level of maturity dictated by the social norm for their ages are commonplace or rare? Do you think that a lack of maturity in the population as a whole is a sign of a defective society, or more of a nuture vs. nature situation?

I think it depends, overall though there are common grounds in level of maturity associated with age and gender. Individuals acting above their "age" I think are rare overall. I don't think it is necessarily defective, and it is strongly related to the type of society and environment. People in 3rd world countries have to mature faster, to be able to contribute to the family or go and live off independantly, its a question of survival. In first world countries, people have more time to "grow" since many will stay at home until their early 20s at least. Some will stay until they marry, some will stay until they are finished with Uni, which can last a long time in some cases.

Bridie
10-20-2009, 03:03 AM
I think (mental and emotional) maturity is determined by a mix of psychology and physiology. It seems to be genetically determined to an extent (and up to a certain age), from my own observations. I think that "nurture" is generally overstated as a factor.

However, human maturity in the first world seems to be taking a turn for the strange these days...due to social factors (so yes, nurture) many people are now physically maturing earlier, yet psychologically maturing much later than in previous generations. It does not bode well. ;)

Eldritch
10-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Do you think that maturity is directly correlated with numerical age?

Absolutely not! Yoú see evidence to the contrary every day. And usually when adults are concerned, it is not very unplifting.

Do you think that someone who acts above or below the preconcieved level of maturity dictated by the social norm for their ages are commonplace or rare?

Well, that would of course depend on what you'd define as "rare", but no, I don't think it's rare at all.

I'd say that in my own (admittedly quite limited) experience in each school class of, say, 20 students, there'll typically be two, maybe three kids who are remarkably more mature than average at that age, and at least one who is remarkably less mature (I'm talking in terms of mental maturity here).

Unfortunately as people grow up, it's the remarkably immature cases that start to stand out, rather than the exceptionally mature ones.

Do you think that a lack of maturity in the population as a whole is a sign of a defective society, or more of a nuture vs. nature situation?

It's both. Children whose parents don't know how to raise them become defective adults, and since societies consist of people, a society that consists of defective people is defective itself by default.

Ulf
10-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Overly mature people are boring automatons. Lighten up!

Tabiti
10-20-2009, 06:51 PM
There are different kinds of maturity. Being stable mentally, reliable, disciplined, trustworthy, adequate are usually qualities you have since early age. They depend mostly on home education and parents behavior. Being ready for a family life, having experience with different life situations and able to advice others correctly due to that experience are qualities gained with age, BUT if you have the first ones listened.

anonymaus
10-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Overly mature people are boring automatons. Lighten up!

This. Anyone lacking a sense of humour is not to be trusted.

Eldritch
10-20-2009, 07:02 PM
This. Anyone lacking a sense of humour is not to be trusted.

It's always been my experience that old people tell the best jokes. ;)

Tabiti
10-20-2009, 07:10 PM
It's always been my experience that old people tell the best jokes. ;)
Yeah, if they remember the end;)

SuuT
10-20-2009, 07:22 PM
There is a direct correlation between age, and cognitive and emotional maturity.

An example. (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091007153745.htm)

Octothorpe
10-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm presented with examples of the variation of maturity every day in my classroom. I've got 17-year-olds who are already emancipated, working, and prepping for college or trade school. I also know 50-year-old coworkers whom I'd not trust with the beer money, let alone anything of greater importance. I'm thinking that a great deal of the matter is how one is raised and what the motivational levers are for each particular individual.