PDA

View Full Version : Linguistic maps by Muturzikiña

Kadu
10-20-2009, 05:59 PM
This is a fine collection of Linguistic maps made by Basque man, who calls himself online by Muturzikiña.
In his words...

About my aim, my language maps display the ethnic and linguistic complexities in some parts of the world.
Each language or isogloss transcends geographical borders, where appropriate.
I am committed to a different, more enlightening approach to cartography and I seek to preserve the integrity of the area in which the language or dialect is spoken, even where this crosses international borders.

http://www.muturzikin.com/countries.htm

Bjólf
10-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Slovenian have far more dialects/variations than russian afaik, I'm supprised he found so many russian dialects but didn't have many slovenian. I guess it's mainly a size matter for fitting into the map.

Damião de Góis
10-20-2009, 06:18 PM
So the basque man thinks galician and portuguese are the same language...

Kadu
10-20-2009, 06:25 PM

Closer to each other than to Castilian, there's 85% of intelligibility between each other.

Mutual intelligibility (estimated at 85% by R. A. Hall, Jr., 1989) is good between Galicians and Northern Portuguese, but poorer between Galicians and speakers of Central-Southern European Portuguese.
The dialects of Portuguese most similar to Galician are those of Alto-Minho and Trás-os-Montes in northern Portugal.

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galician_language

Damião de Góis
10-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Closer to each other than to Castilian, there's 85% of intelligibility between each other.

Close yes, but not enough to put them with the same color under the same name (português).

Kadu
10-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Close yes, but not enough to put them with the same color under the same name (português).

He means certainly Galician-Portuguese the antecessor language.
However not everyone agrees, in the same link i gave you, you can read..

For instance, in past editions of the Encyclopædia Britannica, Galician was termed a Portuguese dialect spoken in northwestern Spain.
However, the Galician government does not regard Galician as a variety of Portuguese, but rather as a distinct language..

Damião de Góis
10-20-2009, 06:43 PM
It would be worse if he considered the whole thing Galician-Portuguese. I agree with the galician government but i also agree that it's very close. The closest language that we have.

Aleksey
10-20-2009, 07:04 PM
An old map, Ingrian is not that 'popular' Baltics map is not correct :(

Lahtari
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
An old map, Ingrian is not that 'popular' Baltics map is not correct :(

There's an incorrect way of presenting minority languages. Those areas in Finland that are shown as uniformly Swedish speaking are mostly of Finnish speaking majority, save for Åland. Not to speak about Russian Karelia where Karelians number only something like 12%, the rest speak Russian.

EDIT: Damn jumbo size images, it says it right in the top: "Priority is given to regional or minority languages"..

Loxias
10-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Indeed, it's a bit odd that, while puts Portuguese and Galician together, he separates Occitan and Catalan. The level of difference between the two should be about the same in both cases.