PDA

View Full Version : Oops...That`s Careless....

Oresai
12-30-2008, 04:33 AM
From the Scotsman online...

Government loses a computer a day

Date: 30 December 2008
BRITISH government departments have "lost" an average of more than one computer every day since 2002.

The precise figures – 1,774 laptops and 1,035 desktop units lost or stolen – were obtained by Liberal Democrats through parliamentary questions.

Beorn
12-30-2008, 01:35 PM
I read this in the Daily Mail and straight away thought "How can you lose a computer?"
It's not like the computer is something which blends in with the curvature of your body whilst concealed under your clothes; and I'm sure the bag involved lugging it would take some banter to get through security.

The back doors/fire exits? Again, where is the security?

Incredible to think that really determined terrorists have never actually succeeded in planting bombs in these buildings.

Vulpix
12-30-2008, 01:55 PM
This is just one more illustration of the apparent utter ineptitude that is nowadays rife in the UK I'm afraid:

Embassies 'lose' dozens of artworks (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/embassies-lose-dozens-of-artworks-474541.html)

Dozens of artworks worth tens of thousands of pounds have vanished from British embassies or residences around the world over the past decade.
At least 42 paintings, prints and sculptures from the Government Art Collection have been stolen, lost or destroyed, according to information gained through the Freedom of Information Act.

Æmeric
12-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Maybe the computers were pilfered from a government warehouse. Or it is just simple fraud, civil servants purchasing supplies for their own use & billing the government. It is almost impossible to fire a civil servant in any Western society. It's not as though a computer goes missing everyday but that accounting of assets shows that the computers on hand & what they are suppose to have amounts to one computer going missing a day. The computers could have all been pilfered at the same time.

Treffie
01-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Everytime the Civil Service employs someone, it's mandatory for the new employee to sign the Official Secrets' Act. Each individual must be relinquished of their post if this is breached IMO, but instead the vast majority of them receive a warning instead.:mad: