PDA

View Full Version : What kind of family do you have.

Barreldriver
10-20-2009, 11:41 PM
I personally have a patrilocal family, we used to all live in proximity when we were in Tennessee, in Ohio the extent of our patrilocal existence includes the household of my paternal grandparents (my father and I included), then that of my grandfathers sister, her husband, and one of her kids who primarily stays on the farm, in the trend of most patrilocal families we do not share the same house, but rather have conjoined properties and individual homes and in the patrilocal trend we share the uses of those properties, including the farm (we no longer farm it though, the land is lent out for use and we use the ditches and waste areas for dumping excess construction/project waste.), for our produce we use minor scale agriculture with small plows and plots, it is border line horticulture, but not horticulture proper.

Absinthe
10-20-2009, 11:49 PM
I grew up in a single parent family, I wonder why that is not on the list as it's fairly common nowadays.

Barreldriver
10-20-2009, 11:56 PM
I grew up in a single parent family, I wonder why that is not on the list as it's fairly common nowadays.

It's technically nuclear as it's absent of extended family in the same household. A partial nuclear family yes, but still technically nuclear as it's a parent and a child.

Barreldriver
10-21-2009, 02:55 AM
@mods. Is there a way to modify my poll to public or multiple choice? I wasn't paying attention when I made it. :P Unless those who voted would oppose to this modification.

Tabiti
10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Nuclear only - mother, father and me. In my family history we had both patrilocal and matrilocal families.

ikki
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
...singularity...

Murphy
10-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Pretty much Nuclear, however we live closer to my mother's adoptive parents and have much more interaction with my mother's family than my father's parents or his family.

Regards,
Eóin.

Skandi
10-21-2009, 12:58 PM
well I clicked matrilocal, as it turned into that, my Grandmother aunt and mother live within 10 miles of each other, and we lived with my grandmother until I was 12.

Germanicus
10-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Patrilocal, until a few years ago all my family members lived in a community of Roundhouses..Then some blokes turned up with technologically superior weapons that split us up somewhat, next came a rather brutish lot with large axes that enslaved my family members. The next lot of bullies really went to town on my family, introducing a rather yokish form of taxation, thing is, the same bunch still are taxing my family after all these years..:(

Lulletje Rozewater
10-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Matri- I leave the running to my girlfriends,while I reap the benefits of the "innocent bystander"

HawkR
10-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Patrilocal, even though my parents have "skidded" out of it:P Mostly the whole family lives close to eachother and we can all use eachother houses when needed:D

Inese
10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Hm hello!?? :confused: Can someone explain the words
patrilocal
matrilocal
nuclear
polygymous
polyandry
polygyny
panualan

please?? I am total sorry but English is not my mother language and when you mix English with scientific words i am total clueless!!:dizzy::sweat:

Ok i cant vote but i can tell you that my family is a normal family with father, mother and me!! :) And other family members ---- grandparents and many more. My fathers makes the most money but my mother wears the pants at home!! ^_^ :bounce

Loxias
10-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Very patrilocal family with my paternal grandfather seeing himself as the CEO of the family.

Kadu
10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Hm hello!?? :confused: Can someone explain the words
patrilocal
matrilocal
nuclear
polygymous
polyandry
polygyny
panualan

please?? I am total sorry but English is not my mother language and when you mix English with scientific words i am total clueless!!:dizzy::sweat:

Don't be lazy, wikipedia is your friend. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Main_Page

http://www.merriam-webster.com/

Inese
10-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I was trying but the explain texts are very complex and use other scientific words. And it can not be normal that non mother speakers of English have to search in the internet before they can vote in a thread?? You can make the options a little bit easier understandable, cant you?? :coffee: You know, i understand that patrilocal is a family who lives near the family of the husband now but you can write that in the vote options ---- "My family lives near the family of my dad "!! And PENG everyone can understand what it means :nod

I dont answer in Latvian or German, and when you ask "What does it mean???" i tell you that you should look in German or Latvian Wikipedia for the explaination. :rolleyes2: It is not respectful for members who are not fluent in the language

Tabiti
10-21-2009, 04:19 PM
I didn't know that myself, but checked.
So, simple:
Patrilocal - if you life not only with your parents, but paternal relatives as well.
Matrilocal - the same with maternal relatives.
Nuclear - only your parents.
Polygymous - that is for non monogamic families only? Or to live with both maternal and paternal relatives?

Correct me if I'm wrong. We don't have these here as well.

Kadu
10-21-2009, 05:00 PM
I was trying but the explain texts are very complex and use other scientific words. And it can not be normal that non mother speakers of English have to search in the internet before they can vote in a thread?? You can make the options a little bit easier understandable, cant you?? :coffee: You know, i understand that patrilocal is a family who lives near the family of the husband now but you can write that in the vote options ---- "My family lives near the family of my dad "!! And PENG everyone can understand what it means :nod

I dont answer in Latvian or German, and when you ask "What does it mean???" i tell you that you should look in German or Latvian Wikipedia for the explaination. :rolleyes2: It is not respectful for members who are not fluent in the language

I'm sorry Inese, ignore the previous links i gave you, follow this one instead. ;)

Learn English Free Online (http://www.learnenglish.de/)

Bjólf
10-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Nuclear.

Lars
10-21-2009, 05:04 PM
I am from a nuclear family which consisted of two parents and two kids. Both my grandparents lived approx. 15 kilometers away and saw them often. My parents rarely used nannies but used my grandparents instead (which is that they are for anyway. I find it ridiculous when grandparents are absent to help their children or grandchildren of they are able to). :)

Liffrea
10-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Me and my dad, not sure what that is classed as.

Both my brothers live within walking distance (one is recently divorced with three kids), my mother is long dead, so are all my grand parents (three snuffed it before I was born) I keep in touch with one aunt, one or two of my cousins, the rest I don’t give a shit about.

Barreldriver
10-21-2009, 10:35 PM
I forgot to add Ambilocal to the list. :P Shit. lol

but to answer the questions in regards to the terms I used in the poll, I will define them, including the new addition of Ambilocal:

Patrilocal: when a couple goes to live with the husbands/males family. Usually consists of conjoined territories for example the grandparents in one house(in my case grandparents and father and myself in one house), parents and children in another, blood relatives of the grandfather and/or father (brothers and sisters of the grandfather and their children, in my case it is my grandfather's sister and her family). Use of the conjoined properties is available to the group, often used as a middle ground in between individual homes.

Matrilocal: Same as above but the couple lives with the females family rather than the males.

Ambilocal: When the couple can choose which family to live with instead of going to one or the other by default, usually involves migrating between sides of the family, for instance during birthing periods the family will live with the females kin, during other times they will live with the males.

Nuclear: Mother+Father+Children, or Parent+Children

Polygamy is having multiple spouses:

Polygyny is one husband multiple wives

Polyandry one wife and multiple husbands

Panualan is multiple husbands and wives sharing :D One large ass gang bang. :P

la bombe
10-21-2009, 10:37 PM
My upbringing was a combination of matrifocal and nuclear. I was raised by my mother, but at times we lived with different members of her family and I've always lived close to my maternal family members.

Atlas
10-21-2009, 10:57 PM

Same. Grew up with mother, and went to father's home almost every weekend.

Lysander
10-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Kinda mixed. As any small-town folk I'm very close with my cousins and grand parents. The whole village was more or less common ground.
We moved away from the village where my relatives live(d) a long time ago and since then it's mostly nuclear.
Nowadays I'm on my own though so not even nuclear, more like singular :).