PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to torture terrorists ?

Acquisitor
10-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Imagine the situation:

there are two guys with bombs wrapped around them, both are about to enter the paradise and to meet 72 virgins, they are looking for the right place to enter heaven and take innocent people with them.

one of them gets caught.

do you think its ok to apply torture to him in an attempt to extract information about the second one ? timing is critical here, information must be extracted ASAP.

In my opinion its an absolute necessity to torture him, no amount of pressure or permanent damage to his body is relevant when there is a chance to save innocent lives his partner is about to take.

King Claus
10-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Here goes the old saying : Fight fire with fire;)

Gorštak
10-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Aren't they doing that in Guantanamo already?

Acquisitor
10-14-2013, 08:18 PM
poll added

Shah-Jehan
Sure, if he's/she's Goyim:D

Dandelion
Aren't they doing that in Guantanamo already?

They are. Anyone who believes otherwise is naive. By the way, Islam also approves of torture. Muhammad himself even performed his fair share of torturing.

I on the other hand am not CIA nor Muhammadan, so I think torture is a inhumane thing. I also think it's not really an effective thing to extract information. In fact, ignorant victims even give false information under torture and most torture victms are ready to talk from the start, yet most of the likely will be tortured unnecessarily for a long time; not to mention that many victims are probably no real terrorists.

I still remember how the US government tried to make waterboarding appear as a 'humane form of torture' because 'no physical harm is inflicted'. I am convinced many dumb Americans believe it too.

Acquisitor
10-14-2013, 08:24 PM
They are. Anyone who believes otherwise is naive. By the way, Islam also approves of torture. Muhammad himself even performed his fair share of torturing.

I think terrorists lose all possible defense rights, like right to have an attorney and so on, this applies to critical moments when information needs to be extracted of course.

Pjeter Pan
10-14-2013, 08:28 PM
So to be considered a terrorist you have to be a MENA Muslim?

Kiyant
Problem is what people are classified as terrorists for example those crazy guys with bombs then sure torture him but there will always be cases were things can go wrong/ can hit innocent Guantanamo is a perfect example were people were sitting there without a trial and were innocent.

Dandelion
I think terrorists lose all possible defense rights, like right to have an attorney and so on, this applies to critical moments when information needs to be extracted of course.

Well, as I said, it's not effective and many such people who get into the hands of the CIA away from US jurisdiction likely are no terrorist and most of them hold no vital information and many of them are ready to talk from the start. I also believe torture in reality, even by CIA, is often applied as a form of getting some kicks possibly some sick form of revenge on a strawman.

WhiteHaven
10-15-2013, 09:37 PM
No. I am assuming you are basing this off of what the US and Israel consider terrorists and those are people I call freedom fighters. They are fighting for their land and families. Not terrorists.

Acquisitor
10-15-2013, 09:40 PM
No. I am assuming you are basing this off of what the US and Israel consider terrorists and those are people I call freedom fighters. They are fighting for their land and families. Not terrorists.

so blowing up random people is "fighting for freedom" ?

Pjeter Pan
10-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Do You know how many lives and families USA has destroyed since the attack on ME, to the people living there the American soldiers are considered terrorists.

WhiteHaven
10-15-2013, 09:48 PM
When its people who have invaded your land absolutely. I guess drone murdering kids is OK in your book huh? The US and Israel MAKE terrorists..with their actions.You take everything someone has they have nothing left to live for and are more than willing to kill you and themselves in the process.

Hayalet
10-15-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't find that "ticking bomb" scenario realistic. If someone is important enough to be privy to some great dangerous secret, it's unlikely he would break in a short period of time regardless of how harshly he is tortured.

Empecinado
10-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Better ask to the CIA, terrorists only follow its orders xD