PDA

View Full Version : New Eupedia map of mtDNA V

Fire Haired
10-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Click here (http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/29158-New-map-of-mtDNA-haplogroup-V?p=417965) for original thread.
http://www.eupedia.com/images/content/mtDNA-V-map.png

mtDNA V distribution is very similar to Eupedia's U5 map(click here (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?97825-Eupedia-New-map-of-mtDNA-U5&p=1998468#post1998468))
http://www.eupedia.com/images/content/mtDNA-U5-map.png

In the Sami of far northern Scandinavia, north Africa, and Near east U5 and V distribution is almost identical. This makes a lot of sense since European mtDNA U5b1b in north Africa has been connected with V. They may have all migrated to north Africa from Iberia with H1 and H3 over 8,000 years ago. In Ancient North African DNA (http://www.ancestraljourneys.org/nafricaadna.shtml) there are two V?'s in Mooroco from 12,000ybp. I think the way V is distributed is evidence it originated in Europe and did not come from the Near east in Neolithic. If Maciamo also makes distribution map of H1 and also H3 I bet in the Near east and North Africa they will have very similar distribution to U5 and V. But it is not good to generalize H1,H3, and V because there are many subclades and I have noticed in FTDNA's mtDNA of countries that most of Europe have very similar percentages of H1 subclades. So just because H1 is estimated to be around 15,000 years old does not mean that's when it spread the age of subclades that are in all Europeans is when it would have spread. I do think though that H1, H3, and V all originated in Palaeloithic Europe and spread around 10,000-15,000ybp.

Black Wolf
10-16-2013, 05:35 PM
There is a rather obvious flaw in these maps and really just how people tend to look at European mtDNA haplogroups in general. That is that only haplogroup U and H to some degree seem to be looked at in terms of subclades. People tend to just lump all of haplogroups V, J, K, T and such together. Many even do this with H. Only in haplogroup U do we ever see people always mentioning subclades like U4 or U5. We need to look at all of them in terms of subclades as each subclade probably has a unique history.

Fire Haired
10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
There is a rather obvious flaw in these maps and really just how people tend to look at European mtDNA haplogroups in general. That is that only haplogroup U and H to some degree seem to be looked at in terms of subclades. People tend to just lump all of haplogroups V, J, K, T and such together. Many even do this with H. Only in haplogroup U do we ever see people always mentioning subclades like U4 or U5. We need to look at all of them in terms of subclades as each subclade probably has a unique history.
I think because H and U are the most common that's why you hear more about subclades. You should look at FTDNA MTDNA and then a country's name I have noticed V1 specifically V1a1a is most popular for Norway and Finland. I think there defintley was a flaw trying of generalizing all U5 because it is extremely old but there is not enough info on deep U5 aubclades like U5a1 to make a map. And even U5a1 or U5b2 are estimated to be over 20,000 years old so

Prisoner Of Ice
10-16-2013, 06:25 PM
I am V so...weird. I thought this was an Iberian clade, turns out it's a northern european hunter gatherer clade. I guess probably being hunter gatherer it used to be in all of europe and got overhwhelmed by farmers growing more and more.

Thanks for info, there is almost none out there.

Fire Haired
10-16-2013, 09:55 PM
I am V so...weird. I thought this was an Iberian clade, turns out it's a northern european hunter gatherer clade. I guess probably being hunter gatherer it used to be in all of europe and got overhwhelmed by farmers growing more and more.

Thanks for info, there is almost none out there.
It could of originated in Iberia estimated 15,000ybp and that's how it got to North Africa with H1, H3, and U5b1b. But today it is not unique to anyone in Europe since there has been so much movement since 15,000ybp and central and northern Europe were repopulated. Sami I think do only get their food by hunting and gathering traditionally but today they probably get it the same way everyone does without hunting, gathering, or farming. So far there is no mtDNA V in Mesolithic Europe there are two from Pitted ware culture hunter gathers in Gotland, Sweden from 4,000-4,800ybp an it probably I not from farmer inter marriage.

Mikula
11-29-2017, 04:46 PM
What about V7a subclade? It is my subclade
Wikipedia says:
The rare V7a subclade occurs among Algerians in Oran (1.08%) and Reguibate Sahrawi (1.85%)

Daco Celtic
09-24-2020, 09:57 PM
Distribution
https://www.geni.com/projects/V-mtDNA/3936

"Haplogroup V first appeared in Iberia toward the end of the Ice Age, about 16,000 years ago, when Europe's human population was mostly restricted to a few temperate enclaves in the southern part of the continent. Aside from a branch that established itself in Sardinia during the period, haplogroup V was mostly confined to the Iberian peninsula until the Ice Age had ended.

"The haplogroup began expanding after consistently warmer conditions arrived about 11,500 years ago. One migration carried it northward along the Atlantic to a low-lying coastal plain rich in game and marine food sources such as seals and sea birds. Known as Doggerland, that region lies under the North Sea today – because so much water was locked up in the polar ice sheets during and immediately after the Ice Age, sea level was lower in the past than it is today.

"Doggerland slipped beneath the waves about 9,000 years ago, but haplogroup V remains at levels of about 5% in countries that border the Atlantic and especially the North Sea. It is most abundant today in Scotland and northern Germany.

"A separate post-Ice Age migration carried haplogroup V through central Europe to western Russia and the Scandinavian Arctic." (23andme.com.)

Haplogroup V reaches its highest frequency in northern Scandinavia (40% of the Sami), northern Spain, the Netherlands (8%), Sardinia, the Croatian islands and the Maghreb. It might have been common in the now submerged Doggerland.

Madonna
11-17-2020, 12:21 PM
I am v7a, oldest skeleton has been found in Viking Tomb in Sweden, but this subclade is probably German/Polish/France - central European, what is very interesting v7a1 is very common and popular only between Fins -