PDA

View Full Version : Where did the ethnogenesis of the Armenian people occur?

Veritator
10-16-2013, 10:39 PM
What would you call the region of their origin(s)?

Azamat
10-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Armenians are descended from:

a) the "Hayk" proto-Armenian speaking IE tribes who had their origins in Southeast Europe and migrated to Van-Ararat-Kars and the South Caucasus in the 7th century BC, on top of the Urartu culture which was diminishing at that point
b) The native Urartu-Hurrians whom the proto-Armenian settlers absorbed.

After the Armenian ethnogenesis there were Hurro-Urartian speaking leftovers to their south(broadly below lake Van as well as west to it) who were getting absorbed by Old Iranic(Scythians mainly) speakers at that time, the descendants of whom eventually had become Kurds around 200 AD.

StonyArabia
10-16-2013, 10:52 PM
^ I thought Kurds were Medes

Azamat
10-16-2013, 10:55 PM
^ I thought Kurds were MedesMedes were likely not an ethnicity, but a collection of many Iranic ethnicities.

Anyway, let's not pollute this thread with off-topic stuff.

Sikeliot
10-16-2013, 10:58 PM
I always assumed Armenians were a Mesopotamian population who have been Indo-Europeanized.

Veritator
10-16-2013, 11:07 PM
So, would you say Armenians are a more ancient people than Kurds?

Azamat
10-16-2013, 11:20 PM
So, would you say Armenians are a more ancient people than Kurds?Their ethnogenesis occured at an earlier period than that of Kurds, but not by much on a historical scale(roughly 600 or so years in between), and it should be said that Kurds are partly descended from the same native Hurro-Urartian speakers as Armenians, in turn partly, are.

If you're asking that because of the political implications, it's irrelevant. Unlike the Armenian Dashnak party and other megalomaniacs, serious Kurdish nationalists only lay claim to lands where Kurds are indigenous and Armenians would be newcomers, so it's a non-issue to us. That doesn't prevent some fanatics from both sides to come up with completely ridiculous land-claims though, but rest assured their voices will be silenced by the more competent ranks. I'm confident that Kurdish-Armenian fighting over Anatolian land can be resolved through scholarly dialogue.

Smyrnian
11-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Armenians are indo europized hurrians as Kurds;as English are germanized kelto-britannics ;as Turks turkicisized native anatolians bla bla bla :).Every ethnicity has many mixture but it think every ethnicities origin still bases on their soil which they stay still there.