PDA

View Full Version : Growls, Snarls And Flying Fur

Frigga
10-22-2009, 02:54 AM
I've noticed a disturbing trend on The Apricity for the last couple of weeks. With the influx of newcomers from other forums there has been a lot of fighting and backtalk, and hurt feelings. What I noticed though is how much it is like when you introduce new animals to each other, like cats, or dogs.

What do you notice when you first introduce a new animal into the established territory of another group? One that is unfamiliar? There is often a lot of distrust, and posturing and even some tussles. There is serious growling and snarling on all fronts. Fur can fly, and wounds are inflicted. This period of breaking in the newcomer can be traumatic for all involved, and feelings may take time to heal. But if things are handled properly, there can be resolution, and healing on all sides.

All of the new members who came from other forums that our established population have also frequented have history over there, and this is causing the fur to fly while they're trying to fit in with their new surroundings. There's a lot of posturing on all sides, and the older crew are reluctant to give ground to the newer faces. Tension is high, and the blood pressure is rising on both fronts. I know that I've felt it, and I have had no other contact with these new people from their old stomping grounds.

But this is a breaking in period, and I am hoping that once everyone gets all the hinks and kinks out of their system that we can settle in with our bigger forum. This is a natural part of the cycle of our growth, and it may take a little while, but I am certain that things will be back in order shortly. I know that I am looking forward to an Apricity with more amiable conversations going on. The Apricity that I have cared for so much for the last eight months. Let's not get too worked up over the little nuances of our mistrust of the new, and try to accept each other even with our differences. We'll be a stronger forum for it.

Wölfin
10-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Well the most interesting thing I've noticed, is that a few of the new members, two I have specifically in mind have not necessarily been aggressive, but their presence has caused certain Aprecians to start fighting amongst themselves.

Like you, I hope it all settles down so much of the mud-slinging I've seen is unnecessary.

Psychonaut
10-22-2009, 05:32 AM
It's the third time this has happened! Each time there's a bit of turmoil and then everything smoothes over as the newcomers integrate into the forum. It happened during the Skadi refugee crisis, during the Stirpes thingie, and now with Anthroforum's closing. This isn't the first, and probably won't be the last, time this kind of thing happens.

Lady L
10-22-2009, 12:44 PM
I've noticed a disturbing trend on The Apricity for the last couple of weeks. With the influx of newcomers from other forums there has been a lot of fighting and backtalk, and hurt feelings. What I noticed though is how much it is like when you introduce new animals to each other, like cats, or dogs.

What do you notice when you first introduce a new animal into the established territory of another group? One that is unfamiliar? There is often a lot of distrust, and posturing and even some tussles. There is serious growling and snarling on all fronts. Fur can fly, and wounds are inflicted. This period of breaking in the newcomer can be traumatic for all involved, and feelings may take time to heal. But if things are handled properly, there can be resolution, and healing on all sides.

All of the new members who came from other forums that our established population have also frequented have history over there, and this is causing the fur to fly while they're trying to fit in with their new surroundings. There's a lot of posturing on all sides, and the older crew are reluctant to give ground to the newer faces. Tension is high, and the blood pressure is rising on both fronts. I know that I've felt it, and I have had no other contact with these new people from their old stomping grounds.

But this is a breaking in period, and I am hoping that once everyone gets all the hinks and kinks out of their system that we can settle in with our bigger forum. This is a natural part of the cycle of our growth, and it may take a little while, but I am certain that things will be back in order shortly. I know that I am looking forward to an Apricity with more amiable conversations going on. The Apricity that I have cared for so much for the last eight months. Let's not get too worked up over the little nuances of our mistrust of the new, and try to accept each other even with our differences. We'll be a stronger forum for it.

:thumbs up

You know what bothers me? The treatment we give and receive of others. Even guilty myself.

There are some you who I could disagree with all day and not get mad at you. Like yourself Frigga. :) I'm sure you all feel that way to about your friends here. Even if you disagree your going to keep it respectful and kind.

And then there is the other side to that, pure evil! :D When we all walk away from the internet we really are using these same techniques - if we don't like something or someone we roll our eyes and think fuck you. Its the same here isn't it ...?

Just like Foxie's new signature about being human :p We're going to do it here and we're going to do it out there! So get over it! ;) You can whine about whining you can hate about hating but its all in us. So in those ways we are no different or any better.

Loki
10-22-2009, 01:20 PM
It's the third time this has happened! Each time there's a bit of turmoil and then everything smoothes over as the newcomers integrate into the forum. It happened during the Skadi refugee crisis, during the Stirpes thingie, and now with Anthroforum's closing. This isn't the first, and probably won't be the last, time this kind of thing happens.

Indeed! And, I think we have done well by integrating ex-Stirpes members here. Not everyone is liked in equal measures, but the members who try to fit in in some or other way, stick around and become part of the group. In the same way, I can already see some good quality members from anthroforum who are integrating nicely here. All that is needed is a little patience and goodwill towards new members. :)