PDA

View Full Version : Famous Croats are ashamed of their roots!? (Michael Buble, Joe Bastianich)

Lemon
10-18-2013, 09:36 PM
They never say they are Croats but Italian. Do you think they are ashamed or what. Michael is i think 1/4 Croat and Joe is 100% Croat. His mother changed her surname from Motika to Maticchio. There are probably others so if you know anyone please tell us.

Sisak
10-19-2013, 09:58 AM
As far as I know, hate is mutual.
I also would not want to have surname Motika.

Lemon
10-19-2013, 11:00 AM
As far as I know, hate is mutual.
I also would not want to have surname Motika.

LOL OK then :thumb001:

It is their choice and i can understand them. If they feel better being fake good for them. They can take the credits for inventing pizza, Ferrari, Roman empire etc.

Sisak
10-19-2013, 11:17 AM
if they do not like to be a Croats, I do not know what is the reason for it.
but here's one example, when I said that I live outside Croatia, a croatian member Solin constantly has sent threatening messages and reputation to me. It's an example of how the Croats behave towards its diaspora.

Sisak
10-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Croatia has only 17,000 Italians, and everywhere on the internet and Wikipedia says that we speak Italian and we are actually Italians.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Joe_Bastianich_Italian_All_he_talks_about_is_hi s_Italian_Heritage_when_you_look_him_up_he_has_two _Croatian_Parents

Is Joe Bastianich Italian All he talks about is his Italian Heritage when you look him up he has two Croatian Parents?

If you research the area of present day Croatia where his mother (Lidia Bastianich of PBS cooking shows) was born, you'll find it's a portion of Europe that has changed hand quite often. It has been part of Austria, Italy, and Croatia. Joe was born in the United States, but both his parents and his grandparents all identify themselves with Italian heritage. The Croatian situation was a political change. The habits and language and culture of the area is still Italian.

Archduke
10-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Such people must be rare cases. Croatians are very nationalistic people as far as Ive seen.

And there is nothing to be ashamed from being Croatian, for example I'd choose Dubrovnik or Split over Venice any time. :D

Lemon
10-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Oh trust me there is a lot of reasons to be ashamed for being Croat but of course also to be proud(and vice versa). I am very realistic person and i like to say and hear the truth no metter how hard and painful it is. Croats can't ever compete with Italians except in just a few things so i understand why is better to be Italian.

Lemon
10-19-2013, 11:55 AM
but here's one example, when I said that I live outside Croatia, a croatian member Solin constantly has sent threatening messages and reputation to me. It's an example of how the Croats behave towards its diaspora.

If that is the case who could know what are the reasons for his attitude. I don't whant to insult anyone but maybe he is Serbian who hates Croats or he is Croat who hates diaspora because they left and choose easy way. :confused:

Sisak
10-19-2013, 11:56 AM
positive thing is that we are one of the oldest nations in Europe, the Italians have become a nation in the 19th century.

dralos
10-19-2013, 11:59 AM
solin is slavized albo from hercegovina :p

Sisak
10-19-2013, 12:08 PM
I do not want to post famous croatian people, I will just say that this famous Croatian black person Antimon (Ahmed el Rahim) from Večernja škola sitcome, once said that Croatia is a paradise for blacks:
http://i39.tinypic.com/6tn34l.jpg

Sisak
10-19-2013, 05:14 PM
these two are from the U.S., is in the United States "cool" to be Italian, Amer-Indian, Jewish, etc...?

Sikeliot
10-19-2013, 05:19 PM
positive thing is that we are one of the oldest nations in Europe, the Italians have become a nation in the 19th century.

There was no concept of "Italian" in the time after the Roman Empire split up until 1860.

Insuperable
10-19-2013, 05:31 PM

It sure wasn't because you live outside Croatia dumbass:rolleyes:, but because you in several occasions went to write something bad about nation you allegedly live in. BTW what threating messages? :rolleyes:
You later said how you actually live in Croatia, but nonetheless experienced a wish to live somewhere else and I said what is the point of all those threads about Croatia you opened.

Harsh words which came later had little to do with you living anywhere, but because you started to insult me and yet again I fail to see any threating being said.

Sisak
10-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Solin, when someone opens a new thread it is cultural to at least gave one comment on it, at least a moderator(and you are Croat). When someone does not want to say any positive comment this just talking about culture and personal characteristics of members. You're a moderator just because you're deranged troll. I am on the other subsections leave comments just for the my personallity which is cultural, and themes are awful, especially the Serbian sections.

Szegedist
10-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Solin, when someone opens a new thread it is cultural to at least gave one comment on it, at least a moderator(and you are Croat). When someone does not want to say any positive comment this just talking about culture and personal characteristics of members. You're a moderator just because you're deranged troll. I am on the other subsections leave comments just for the my personallity which is cultural, and themes are awful, especially the Serbian sections.

Solin isnt even a moderator...

armenianbodyhair
10-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Lidia Bastianich is 100% Italian ethnically and it was Pula was part of Italy when she was born if I'm not mistaken. I don't know about her husband though. I don't know or care about Buble.

Lemon
10-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Lidia Bastianich is 100% Italian ethnically and it was Pula was part of Italy when she was born if I'm not mistaken. I don't know about her husband though. I don't know or care about Buble.

That is not true. She is Croatian with clearly Croatian surname Motika(hoe). Pula was Croatian land under Italy. When Lidija had 7 months Pula was again under Croatia(Yugoslavia). So you say she is Italian only because she was born under Italy. Be sure she went in Croatian school and learn Croatian language. When she was 9 she moved in Trieste wich was once Croatian town given to Italy. She changed her surname to Matticchio. Lidija Bastijanic even married Croatian later in USA.

armenianbodyhair
10-19-2013, 07:10 PM
That is not true. She is Croatian with clearly Croatian surname Motika(hoe). Pula was Croatian land under Italy. When Lidija had 7 months Pula was again under Croatia(Yugoslavia). So you say she is Italian only because she was born under Italy. Be sure she went in Croatian school and learn Croatian language. When she was 9 she moved in Trieste wich was once Croatian town given to Italy. She changed her surname to Matticchio. Lidija Bastijanic even married Croatian later in USA.
Her dads name is Vittorio.

Lemon
10-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Her dads name is Vittorio.

Probably Viktor.

armenianbodyhair
10-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Probably Viktor.
Based on what...it was his first name.

Lemon
10-19-2013, 07:48 PM

I would rather that we are new nation but rich and success.

Lemon
10-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Based on what...it was his first name.

Based on surname Motika. What does first name says? Nothing even if it was Vittore by birth but i think it was changed.

armenianbodyhair
10-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Based on surname Motika. What does first name says? Nothing even if it was Vittore by birth but i think it was changed.
It does because what Croat would name their kid that? If you can find proof it was changed until then it's just conjecture.

Insuperable
10-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Who cares about these anyway

Permafrost
10-19-2013, 08:04 PM
I've heard of Slovenian-Americans denying their own ancestry as well, presenting themselves as German and Italian (our Slovene mod however does not agree with this).

Lemon
10-19-2013, 08:21 PM
It does because what Croat would name their kid that? If you can find proof it was changed until then it's just conjecture.

The kind of Croat who is maybe wannabe Italian. I repeat again, surname was Motika and that is a Croatian word for hoe.

Ianus
10-19-2013, 08:21 PM
There was no concept of "Italian" in the time after the Roman Empire split up until 1860.

Great crap

Prisoner Of Ice
10-19-2013, 08:24 PM

Ah, so that's the deal with Solin. Lol. Called it.

Insuperable
10-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Ah, so that's the deal with Solin. Lol. Called it.

Hmm. no that is not that deal. I have replied, just so you know.

Stefan_Dusan
10-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Solin is famous Croat of apricity whose ashamed of his roots ;)

Permafrost
10-19-2013, 08:29 PM

He is half-Swedish though.

Insuperable
10-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Nah, I am not ashamed. No reason to be, except for this kind of stupid threads.

Lemon
10-19-2013, 08:37 PM
I've heard of Slovenian-Americans denying their own ancestry as well, presenting themselves as German and Italian (our Slovene mod however does not agree with this).

Those are big important nations so it is understandable that they would rather be them. But that is a big fat lie and try to imagine what kind of people are they. Fakes living a lie. I would also like to be Italian or French but i am not and will never be.

Lena
10-19-2013, 08:53 PM
I would also like to be Italian or French but i am not and will never be.

Why would you want to be anyone else but who you really are? You guys better take care of being good ppl who contribute to your nations instead to see greener grass in others yards.

Ulla
01-06-2015, 07:28 PM

Not absolutely true. The concept of Italian was born in Middle Ages. Read Dante, Petrarca, Boccaccio and others.

Btw Bastianich is Bastiani + ich. They are an Istrian family.

Panormus
01-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Not absolutely true. The concept of Italian was born in Middle Age. Read Dante, Petrarca and Boccaccio.

Btw Bastianich is Bastiani + ich. Istrian family.

Non lo convincerai mai :D

Ulla
01-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Non lo convincerai mai :D

Basterebbe leggere qualche libro ogni tanto.

Tacitus
01-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Basterebbe leggere qualche libro ogni tanto.

Che cos'e' un libro? :D

Duke
01-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Not absolutely true. The concept of Italian was born in Middle Ages. Read Dante, Petrarca, Boccaccio and others.

Btw Bastianich is Bastiani + ich. They are an Istrian family.

yes they are, proper way to write it is Bastijanić, and people who were not Italianated, still wear it

Arbėrori
01-08-2015, 10:33 AM
They're most likely Istrian Italians, so that might be it? Actual Croatians aren't ashamed of their heritage.

Sisak
01-14-2015, 08:07 PM
The kind of Croat who is maybe wannabe Italian. I repeat again, surname was Motika and that is a Croatian word for hoe.

+

Gonzo
04-14-2015, 12:57 PM

I think it is unfair to generalize all Croats based on some like Solin. I don't know the guy, but will take your word for it on him. I've run into similar situations in the real world. My father once got into a fight with another Croat who (Both living in the USA born in in Croatia) about Croatian politics. My father said our politicians are corrupt and steal money, how could you suporot such criminals?. The other said what difference does it make, "They are OUR politician". Apparently its okay to be robbed as long as it is from someone who is the same ethnicity as you. This guy considered himself a "real" Croat. Father got up from the table and left. Don't blame him, you can't reason with people like that. But This was one case. I have had many great encounters with Croats when visiting Croatia. No extreme nationalism, not hatred. Being an ethnic Croat born in the US, people were very interested and didn't seem upset about it. As a diaspora I was warmly welcomed. And look forward to visiting again.

Gonzo
04-14-2015, 01:02 PM
To answer the main question in this thread, I'd say it's because not many know about Croatia. It's a small country. Growing up, when asked what was my heritage, when I said Croatian, I would get blank stares, hehe. If I had the option of being called Italian or German or Russian, being that those are more widely known ethnicity of more interest, I would be more inclined to label myself as those. But I am content with being a Croat. It's more exotic ;)

Gonzo
04-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Oh trust me there is a lot of reasons to be ashamed for being Croat but of course also to be proud(and vice versa). I am very realistic person and i like to say and hear the truth no metter how hard and painful it is. Croats can't ever compete with Italians except in just a few things so i understand why is better to be Italian.

Aside from history in the region (which is ridiculous since you can't put all Croats in the same history) and raving soccer hooligans, what do you mean by "a lot" ? I don't think anyone should feel collectively ashamed no matter what ethnicity you are from. I agree with your second sentence though. Italian history, culture is more interesting and well known.

Jana
04-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Croats ashemed of our history?! Please.

We are proud of our history and our heroes. I think people don't understand how proud we are. For us Croatia is one and only, and nothing can compare to it.

Jana
04-14-2015, 01:47 PM
''Us'' :))) xD