PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in the fairness of the world?

horizontick
10-18-2013, 11:08 PM
The just-world hypothesis or just-world fallacy is the cognitive bias (or assumption) that a person's actions always bring morally fair and fitting consequences to that person, so that all noble actions are eventually rewarded and all evil actions are eventually punished. In other words, the just-world hypothesis is the tendency to attribute consequences to—or expect consequences as the result of—a universal force that restores moral balance. The fallacy is that this implies (often unintentionally) the existence of cosmic justice, desert, stability, or order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis

Of course, I mean the human concept of justice and morality. I hope we will avoid the demagoguery of the topic.

Your thoughts?

Loki
10-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Very interesting. Is that like karma?

horizontick
10-18-2013, 11:18 PM

You think that young crazy fun of a dog, is that fair? The dog has earned his suffering?
You think killed on September 11 Americans deserved their suffering and have to suffer?

In any case, the dog has no choice whom to be born.

Scandalf
10-18-2013, 11:23 PM

Indeed I do think this discussion has everything to do with wether karma exists or not.
BTW, nice tread horizontick!

Loki
10-18-2013, 11:23 PM
You think that young crazy fun of a dog, is that fair? The dog has earned his suffering?
You think killed on September 11 Americans deserved their suffering and have to suffer?

In any case, the dog has no choice whom to be born.

I don't know, it's you who made this thread.

hobosmurf
10-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Absolutely not, might is right

EDMONDI
10-18-2013, 11:25 PM
NO

Scandalf
10-18-2013, 11:27 PM
I think (but it's only an assumption) that reality is both deterministic and random even if it doesn't make sense (to the human mind).
Theoretical Physics and Neurology follow this pattern.

Colonel Frank Grimes
10-18-2013, 11:32 PM
The world isn't fair and nor will it ever be. There are so many variables at play that doesn't allow for it, from natural abilities or lack of to random chance. People like to comfort themselves with the possibility of a just world or that people perceived as bad will be punished by karma but that's nothing more than them trying to feel better about their world. The best anyone can do is to make the most of the cards they're dealt.

Loki
10-18-2013, 11:40 PM
might is right

Not always.

horizontick
10-18-2013, 11:40 PM
The world isn't fair and nor will it ever be. There are so many variables at play that doesn't allow for it, from natural abilities or lack of to random chance. People like to comfort themselves with the possibility of a just world or that people perceived as bad will be punished by karma but that's nothing more than them trying to feel better about their world. The best anyone can do is to make the most of the cards they're dealt.

I agree with you. But in this case, negros do not deserve hatred. Negros definitely not as smart as white, but they should have the same rights as whites.

Armand_Duval
10-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Fairness of the world as you describe it does happen and I do believe in it although in doesnt necessarly always works out as it is supposed to.

Many fair and honest people suffer disasters that they woudnt deserve, for instance beautiful children with nice loving parents who get cancer.....There are also loads of criminals, subhumans of the worst kind that commit their felonies and yet they get away with it, I see a lot of the latter happening in my country.

Colonel Frank Grimes
10-18-2013, 11:54 PM
I agree with you. But in this case, negros do not deserve hatred. Negros definitely not as smart as white, but they should have the same rights as whites.

I'm not sure it's definite. There are many unknown variables at play with regards to intelligence. From what we know now it appears to be that way but, as I said, there many be other things at play. Black American pregnant women generally have poor prenatal care, for example.

No one deserves hatred just for existing but they do for their actions. Avoiding a group of people because of bad past experiences is you making safety a priority. That, however, doesn't mean individuals from that group aren't decent and likeable.

Alexander20
11-07-2013, 11:50 PM
You can look to the world with a sense of causality but that is it to the full effect. There is by no means any guarantee that actions will be respectively addressed.

Prisoner Of Ice
11-07-2013, 11:53 PM
I believe God is on my side, which is a lot better.

superhorn
12-04-2013, 11:45 PM
There's an old saying in English : "No good deed goes unpunished ". This means that people are often penalized for doing the right thing .

Hierarchalist
02-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Absolutely not, might is right

Might always wins :icon_yes:

Hierarchalist
02-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Why do you think negroes should be given the same "rights" ? Where do these "rights" come from? God?

I'm sorry to offend your feeble psyche, but we live In a universe that is completely indifferent to any notion of fairness, justice, or equality...

Loki
02-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Might always wins :icon_yes:

That's what you think. But not always ... karma is a bitch.

arcticwolf
02-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Do you mean fairness of existence? That would depend if something like natural ethical law exists or not. We know for sure cause and effect exists, nothing can exist without a cause. I act like it does exist. Also if existence is understood as a single lifetime it may not be the whole body of evidence needed to understand both cause and effect.

de Burgh II
07-09-2014, 03:06 PM
I would have to say that there is a degree of "fairness" in the sense that if one would continue down a path of self destruction will catch up to them one way or another as a result of these very self destructive consequences. Be your own individual agent of divine justice. Not dictated by societal norms, nor media influences. Let your own conscience be your guide and assess your own judgments on things and execute them by how you fit if you feel as if you have been cheated unjustly in some way. Crush anyone that gets in your way and develop your will/convictions to the max. Crave your own path in life to what you see fit.

LightHouse89
07-09-2014, 03:16 PM
no.....early bird gets the worm.

Illancha
07-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Yes, we all die and thank God for that.

And that is merely from a physical existential stand-point without going any further.

Linebacker
07-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Nope nothing is fair.

You wanna have something big in this life you have to screw other people and think about yourself.

The most powerful people on this world's success lies on the pain and suffering of smaller insignificant people that dont put up a fight and get screwed

Stefan
07-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Fair is a value, and values are subjective. So yes fairness exists in the minds of those whom create it.

Siberian Cold Breeze
07-09-2014, 06:26 PM
I believe in balance only..justice involve subjectivity and is relative ..
I don't deny the concept of justice alltogether ofcourse but if we are talking about universe ( human , animals , plants , all planet ...) I'd more seek for balance than justice.

de Burgh II
08-24-2014, 06:59 PM
"Fairness" can only exist if one is able to achieve their own goals in the end. The fact is life is can only be as "fair" if you take advantage of the opportunities presented to you if you want to make it anywhere in this world. If the world isn't "fair" to you; then make it "fair" in accordance to your own terms.

Neanderthal
08-24-2014, 07:03 PM
There's no such thing as fairness. This is some societal construct.

Guapo
08-24-2014, 07:05 PM
cats run the world

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/image.php?u=5444&dateline=1359410658

arcticwolf
08-24-2014, 07:13 PM
The just-world hypothesis or just-world fallacy is the cognitive bias (or assumption) that a person's actions always bring morally fair and fitting consequences to that person, so that all noble actions are eventually rewarded and all evil actions are eventually punished. In other words, the just-world hypothesis is the tendency to attribute consequences to—or expect consequences as the result of—a universal force that restores moral balance. The fallacy is that this implies (often unintentionally) the existence of cosmic justice, desert, stability, or order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis

Of course, I mean the human concept of justice and morality. I hope we will avoid the demagoguery of the topic.

Your thoughts?

You mean with the imperfect understanding of the laws of the universe we have now? Our knowledge is limited to answer this question with absolute certainty from the scientific point of view.

Nevertheless, you are asking for opinions, and they will vary based upon one's state of mind, insight into reality, wisdom etc.

Personally, I follow this rule, as a precaution: you don't get away with anything in space or time.

Unome
08-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Fairness only exists through the compassion and mercy of your lords and superiors.