PDA

View Full Version : Are Roma People Eastern European Genetically?

JQP4545
10-21-2013, 03:28 AM
Are the Roma people Eastern European genetically? If I had a DNA test done and it shows that I am part Eastern European, but I don't have any known eastern European ancestors could this mean that I am part Rom (as they lived in Germany and England).

Crn Volk
10-21-2013, 03:30 AM
No, they are from India originally

arcticwolf
10-21-2013, 03:32 AM
LOL

Mans not hot
10-21-2013, 03:32 AM
LOL

StonyArabia
10-21-2013, 03:33 AM
No the Roma are Indo-Aryan ethnic group that originated in Northern India. They migrated about the 11th century A.D to Europe most settled in Eastern Europe, where some probably intermixed with the locals, for example Romanian Romas show good amount of European admixture. Some Roma communities continued to migrate and eventually reaching the British Isles where they seem to have intermixed heavily with the local people, and are called Romanichals. There is also a community related to the Roma's in Germany called Sinti which the name traces back to the Sindh area of India, now part of modern day Pakistan.

The Roma are South Asian with strong European admixture, and this depends on the location they are in. Those in the British Isle are highly mixed, well those in the Balkans are still mostly of South Asian roots.

Mans not hot
10-21-2013, 03:33 AM
LOL
This forum get funnier every day.

arcticwolf
10-21-2013, 03:37 AM

True dat! You can't make up this shit. Reality is stranger than fiction.

How you've been dude, has life been good to you?

JQP4545
10-21-2013, 03:39 AM

Obviously not fully Eastern European, but what I mean is are they heavily mixed with Eastern Europeans so that, for example, a Roma person from Germany might be heavily Ukrainian/Russian/Polish/whatever with a bit of Indian thrown in.

Mans not hot
10-21-2013, 03:40 AM
How you've been dude, has life been good to you?
ets al gud, man. bitters thans bfur, yuu git meh. hw ais yuo, mai polsky bor?

Mans not hot
10-21-2013, 03:40 AM
Obviously not fully Eastern European, but what I mean is are they heavily mixed with Eastern Europeans so that, for example, a Roma person from Germany might be heavily Ukrainian/Russian/Polish/whatever with a bit of Indian thrown in.
Oh oh, you make me laugh. Stop it.

Crn Volk
10-21-2013, 03:47 AM

Are you related to Gigolo?

arcticwolf
10-21-2013, 03:55 AM
ets al gud, man. bitters thans bfur, yuu git meh. hw ais yuo, mai polsky bor?

Same old, same old, work and study, trying to become the best man I can. Ain't fucking easy, but shit, being of tough Eastern European flesh and blood makes it impossible for me to give up and give in. You know the usual shit, most of the time I feel Like I'm the head pimp in charge! :laugh:

Gaston
10-21-2013, 09:13 AM
The term Roma or Rom/Rrom in France is used for Eastern European gypsies, not "local" gypsies. The Roma look more clearly Indian/brown usually while local gypsies look mixed, and med or Euro for the whitest ones.

In any case, they don't cluster with any European and have their own unique genetical signature as intermediate population between South Asians and Europeans with varying degree of admixture
Some may have Middle Eastern or North African admixture since their spread began in West Asia and arrived among the latter at the same time as in Southeastern Europe.

blogen
10-21-2013, 09:15 AM
The Y-DNA of the Gypsy and Gypsy origin peoples in Hungary:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8325/totalqh.jpg
source (http://teo.elte.hu/minosites/ertekezes2012/vago-zalan_a.pdf)

Mortimer
10-21-2013, 09:17 AM
They are a bit eastern european but not polish they cluster with balkan populations and a bit southasian. if you want to know if you are roma, show me your 23andme results and i will help you. if you score a bit southasian, the chances are high that you are. also if you have romania or bulgaria in your ancestry finder list but you dont have known ancestry from there. especially look for romania.

sevruk
10-21-2013, 09:22 AM
dumb Americans not a myth

Mortimer
10-21-2013, 09:23 AM
dumb Americans not a myth

he is not dumb, he just lacks exact knowledge but wants to know if he is part roma. you eastern europeans have too high self-esteem for prostitutes and alcoholics

sevruk
10-21-2013, 09:34 AM
he is not dumb, he just lacks exact knowledge but wants to know if he is part roma. you eastern europeans have too high self-esteem for prostitutes and alcoholics

fuck off gypo

Mn The Loki TA Son
10-21-2013, 09:39 AM
fuck off gypo

that fat gypo look like a toad :laugh:

Mn The Loki TA Son
10-21-2013, 09:47 AM
That fat gypsy toad looking prick is everywhere lol

gregorius
10-21-2013, 09:49 AM
that fat gypo look like a toed :laugh:

wtf another racist Latino :laugh:, I guess race mixing wouldnt solve racisme in this world :laugh:

Smaug
10-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Stop trolling you all. I don't understand why the hatred towards the OP, he is just making a question. Probably he is of British descent and some Eastern European blood appeared in a genetic test he did. Even though I don't think Gypsies cluster with Eastern Europeans, I understand his logic: if Ashkenazim for example, who have lived in Eastern Europe for centuries have some European admixiture, why not Gypsies? The only problem is that I believe that great part of the Gypsies in Britain are not from Eastern Europe. My conclusion is simply that you don't have any Gypsy blood.

Roy
10-21-2013, 09:55 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/39003-wat-know-your-meme-gif-olJb.gif

Mortimer
10-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Stop trolling you all. I don't understand why the hatred towards the OP, he is just making a question. Probably he is of British descent and some Eastern European blood appeared in a genetic test he did. Even though I don't think Gypsies cluster with Eastern Europeans, I understand his logic: if Ashkenazim for example, who have lived in Eastern Europe for centuries have some European admixiture, why not Gypsies? The only problem is that I believe that great part of the Gypsies in Britain are not from Eastern Europe. My conclusion is simply that you don't have any Gypsy blood.

they dont on whole cluster with eastern europeans, but their european part clusters with romanians and their southasian part with north-west indians, i read a study their european dna was closest to romanians, even of the ones from spain

JQP4545
10-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Well I have no known ancestors from Eastern Europe, but according to 23andMe I am 2.2 percent Eastern European. I also have a relative who has a very small percentage of South Asian. I have ancestors from Ireland, Germany, France, Greece, and UK. I know the Eastern Euro does not come from my Greek ancestors just by comparing with relatives and looking at chromosome view. According to GEDMatch I have .69 percent South Asian and a big chunk on chromosome 21. I thought .69 and 2.2 percent would match up nicely if Roma are on average maybe 20 percent South Indian and 80 percent Euro. I understand that Roma come from India, but I figured since they move around that that could explain the Eastern Euro.

Mortimer
10-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Well I have no known ancestors from Eastern Europe, but according to 23andMe I am 2.2 percent Eastern European. I also have a relative who has a very small percentage of South Asian. I have ancestors from Ireland, Germany, France, Greece, and UK. I know the Eastern Euro does not come from my Greek ancestors just by comparing with relatives and looking at chromosome view. According to GEDMatch I have .69 percent South Asian and a big chunk on chromosome 21. I thought .69 and 2.2 percent would match up nicely if Roma are on average maybe 20 percent South Indian and 80 percent Euro. I understand that Roma come from India, but I figured since they move around that that could explain the Eastern Euro.

the eastern european could be explained otherwise, eastern european without southasian doesnt tell roma ancestry. and your southasian is so small it is not worth mentioning. such small bits could be from 500 years ago or like that. you are not roma and not even part roma.

papa diddy pop
10-21-2013, 02:20 PM
having 1.4% south asian on dodecad k12b is normal right ? :rolleyes:

Mortimer
10-21-2013, 02:27 PM
check your relative finder and ancestry finder. do you have cousins who are roma? then you probably have distant roma ancestry.

papa diddy pop
10-21-2013, 02:59 PM
check your relative finder and ancestry finder. do you have cousins who are roma? then you probably have distant roma ancestry.

my grandmother have a 7.7cm match with someone with 4gp romania,one 5.4 bulgaria ,one 5.6 india but that's all.

I don't think it's relevant of Roma ancestry since she doesn't get any south asian on ancestry composition like me,she also doesn't score any SA on gedmatch while I do 1.4% but with no Romanian match. It's just weird.

Mortimer
10-21-2013, 03:03 PM
my grandmother have a 7.7cm match with someone with 4gp romania,one 5.4 bulgaria ,one 5.6 india but that's all I don't think it's that relevant of Roma ancestry since she doesn't get any south asian on 23andme like me,she also doesn't score any SA on gedmatch while I do 1.4% but with no Romanian match. It's just weird.

it could be that she is related with them via european connection if she doesnt score any southasian and not via original/southasian romani connection. but if you score southasian like me and also have plenty of roma cousins on 23andme it indeed is a sign of roma a ancestry. lets say someone scores 1% southasian and he is related to lots of roma then he probably has a distant roma ancestor. but if you are related to 1-3 roma but dont have any southasian then you probably are related via other connection to them.

SobieskisavedEurope
10-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Are the Roma people Eastern European genetically? If I had a DNA test done and it shows that I am part Eastern European, but I don't have any known eastern European ancestors could this mean that I am part Rom (as they lived in Germany and England).

If you have East European DNA in Germany it means you are likely mixed with Polabian, Polish, Czech or Old Prussian.

Black Wolf
10-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Roma people are mixed but I believe that they are dominantly South Asian/Indian genetically still though.

Crn Volk
10-22-2013, 02:42 AM

What's more important is the curret huge influx of South Asians in the UK and the admixture that is taking place right now.

Prisoner Of Ice
10-22-2013, 03:01 AM

Anything that's just a couple % can probably be ignored, is likely a false positive.

amerinese
10-22-2013, 03:06 AM
I had a known "German" grandfather who had some Polish and/or East Prussian ancestry that I found after further research. So anything's possible.

However, the tell-tale signs of Roma ancestry are usually South Asian and maybe some West Asian / Middle Eastern.

RenaRyuguu
07-31-2019, 02:45 AM
You are what you are genetically. If it says part Roma you are part Roma if not you are not part Roma simple

Mehmet Udegey
07-31-2019, 11:24 AM
You are what you are genetically. If it says part Roma you are part Roma if not you are not part Roma simple

Clever statement.

RenaRyuguu
07-31-2019, 11:28 AM
Clever statement.

Excuse me my mistake it says then part Siddi