PDA

View Full Version : Lovecraft, the greatest horror writer of all time?

McCauley
10-23-2013, 04:28 AM
It is my opinion the he, without a doubt, is one of the most profound and influential writers of the 20th century. He was unbelievably skilled with descriptions and imagery, reading Lovecraft is unlike any other experience. Unlike the modern horror genre, which sucks, he often relies on sublety and inference to scare the sh*t out of you, which is (in my opinion) is much more effective in provoking fear, rather than simply using excessive goriness and violence.

Anglojew
10-23-2013, 04:35 AM
Which books would you recommend? Any modern horror books you'd recommend also? It seems to be a hard genre to find something good that isn't aimed at teens in.

McCauley
10-23-2013, 04:40 AM
Which books would you recommend? Any modern horror books you'd recommend also? It seems to be a hard genre to find something good that isn't aimed at teens in.

You can find all his stories on the Internet just search "H.P. Lovecraft archive". Give it a shot, his stories can be slow and a bit dry at first, but tough it out and you might find you really love it. I can only caution that the language he uses may be difficult to understand, but just use context to figure it out.

Unfortunately though, I couldn't recommend much in the way of modern horror, besides maybe Stephen King.

Incal
10-23-2013, 05:13 AM
To me he is too. As a kid I hated to read, until The Dunwich Horror came into my hands. I haven't stopped reading since.

McCauley
10-23-2013, 08:32 AM
To me he is too. As a kid I hated to read, until The Dunwich Horror came into my hands. I haven't stopped reading since.

A man after my own heart. A Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Rats in the Walls are pure gold.