PDA

View Full Version : Atheist ads to adorn New York subway stations

Beorn
10-24-2009, 09:05 PM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Some New Yorkers may want to reconsider exclaiming "Thank God" when arriving at their destination subway station beginning Monday.

Or at least that's what a coalition of eight atheist organizations are hoping, having purchased a month-long campaign that will place their posters in a dozen busy subway stations throughout Manhattan.
The advertisements ask the question, written simply over an image of a blue sky with wispy white clouds: "A million New Yorkers are good without God. Are you?"

On October 26, a dozen bustling New York City subway stations will be adorned with the ads as "part of a coordinated multi-organizational advertising campaign designed to raise awareness about people who don't believe in a god", according to a statement from the group, the Big Apple Coalition of Reason.

New York City's subway system (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/new_york_city_subway) is one of the busiest in the world with more than 5 million riders per day and more than 1.6 billion total passengers in 2008, according to the Metro Transit Authority.
Recognizing this, the Big Apple Coalition of Reason decided the "best bang for the buck" was to place posters in popular subway stations to capitalize on the amount of potential viewers, says Michael De Dora Jr., executive director of the New York Center for Inquiry, one of the associated atheist groups.

De Dora says the ambitions behind the advertisements are threefold.
First, the coalition hopes the promotion will enhance awareness of New York City's secular community. He explained that the coalition also hopes to encourage "talking and thinking about religion and morality," as well as support involvement in groups that encourage a sense of a social community for non-believing New Yorkers.
John Rafferty, president of the Secular Humanist Society of New York, another member group of the coalition, said the ads are in no way an anti-religious campaign. They are looking to reach out to more people who have similar feelings, but might not be aware of an outlet to express their beliefs, he said.

Rafferty and De Dora cite the American Religious Identification Survey, released earlier this year, as evidence of a shift away from organized religion. Those checking "none" for religion rose from 8 percent of the population in 1990 to 15 percent in 2008, effectively making "no religion" the fastest growing religious identification in the United States.
De Dora said that the "million" New York nonbelievers mentioned in the advertisements is the result of an extrapolation based on the survey's findings. With more than 8 million residents living in New York's five boroughs, the organization projects more than a million potential atheist New Yorkers.

De Dora said individuals "don't need religion to be good people and productive members of society" and ultimately he feels that groups of nonbelievers are "adding to cultural life of NYC."
The United Coalition of Reason, which is a national organization that helps local groups advocate atheist ideas, approached the New York nonbeliever associations in August with an offer of a donation from an anonymous source to help pay for the subway station ad campaign. The donation amount was for exactly $25,000 and specifically allocated for the subway advertising promotion.

Rafferty says the groups involved expect no substantial backlash over their ads. Since news of the campaign was made public early this week "reaction has been mixed," De Dora said. He emphasizes that the Big Apple Coalition of Reason ads are not "forcing issues, they're just getting ideas out there," with the hope of fostering discussion in New York.
The ads are "not poking fun at religion and not being outright nasty," he said.

A year ago some unease was caused by advertisements that ran inside subway cars promoting Islam. While the ads themselves weren't controversial, they were partially funded by an imam of a Brooklyn mosque who served a character witness for convicted 1993 World Trade Center (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/world_trade_center) bombing mastermind Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman.

In a statement to CNN, Metro Transit Authority spokesman Aaron Donovan said, "The MTA maintains basic advertising guidelines with prohibitions on nudity, four-letter words, and the like. Beyond that, to accord with the First Amendment, our advertising guidelines are written so as to not prohibit the free exercise of religion or abridge the freedom of speech."
According to the Big Apple Coalition of Reason in their statement, the New York City campaign is just one component of a "nationwide effort" by the United Coalition of Reason that will see billboards and postings in transit systems across the United States.

Source (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/21/new.york.subway.ads/)

Another article here (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/religion_theseeker/2009/10/atheist-billboard.html), details how the boards are going up in Chicago, too.

Loki
10-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Wow, impressive ... I'd like to see the same in London. :)

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/.a/6a00d8341c60fd53ef0120a6669ab9970c-320wi

Anthropos
10-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Fanatical humanist proselytism is what it is.

Lars
10-24-2009, 09:34 PM
#Loki
Weren't there some ads on the buses in London a while back?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/PsychoPsonic/Repugs/OppressedChristiansAnim.gif

Edit: I found the bus campaign.
http://www.atheistbus.org.uk/bus-photos/
Not the best campaign. But it's there.

2nd edit: See the post below.

Beorn
10-24-2009, 09:37 PM

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5650

Óttar
10-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Either everyone should be able to air their views or nobody should. I hate these church adverts on TV and on the bus here. Funny how Christians talk shit about proselytizing, when they are the proselytizers par excellence.

Anthropos
10-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Either everyone should be able to air their views or nobody should. I hate these church adverts on TV and on the bus here. Funny how Christians talk shit about proselytizing, when they are the proselytizers par excellence.

Real churches don't put up giant banner advertisements anywhere.

Doer
10-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Real churches don't put up giant banner advertisements anywhere.I drive by one, two or three every single day on the way to school.

The one I always see makes me laugh because it says "God doesn't exclude," but because of the way it was designed, it's easily mistaken as "God doesn't exist."

At Christmas time, they have really awesome ones with giant baby Jesuses sticking out and claiming the world as their own via billboard.

My part of the US is one of the least religious, as far as I know.

I like the discussion that the atheist adverts have been creating.

Anthropos
10-25-2009, 08:25 PM
I like the discussion that the atheist adverts have been creating.

Can you elaborate?

Murphy
10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Why do atheists insist on shoving religion down our throats :rolleyes2:?

Regards,
Eóin.

Óttar
10-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Why do atheists insist on shoving religion down our throats :rolleyes2:?

Regards,
Eóin.
This coming from a Catholic? :rolleyes2:

Murphy
10-25-2009, 08:38 PM
This coming from a Catholic? :rolleyes2:

I am highlighting the atheistic hypocrisy.

Regards,
Eóin.

Óttar
10-25-2009, 08:52 PM
I am highlighting the atheistic hypocrisy.

Regards,
Eóin.
Yeah, and I'm highlighting Catholic hypocrisy. Catholics (and the Protestants after them) have been shoving their religion down people's throats for 1,600+ years. Atheists haven't been able to speak up until now.

Beorn
10-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Atheists haven't been able to speak up until now.

And may God have mercy upon us all.

Doer
10-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Can you elaborate?It's mainly been about the idea of religion and the media. Religion, to most people, seems like the kind of quiet thing you aren't supposed to see advertisements for on TV or big billboards, but those who have been evangelizing via big media really haven't been thought about much prior to the atheist ads.

Is a belief or a way of life really in the same category as products and services?

In this country, it is. BigMac. Jesus. Lawnmowers. :thumb001:

Anthropos
10-25-2009, 09:14 PM
It's mainly been about the idea of religion and the media. Religion, to most people, seems like the kind of quiet thing you aren't supposed to see advertisements for on TV or big billboards, but those who have been evangelizing via big media really haven't been thought about much prior to the atheist ads.

Is a belief or a way of life really in the same category as products and services?

In this country, it is. BigMac. Jesus. Lawnmowers. :thumb001:

It is not like that here in Sweden. People are medialised, modern-minded etc, but it still just isn't like that. Our 'Church of Sweden' - which I don't see as a real Christian church anymore, but that's a topic for other threads - used bus advertisements some years ago. Evenso, Christians of all denominations and atheists alike often thought that those advertisements were misplaced.

I still don't get why you like it.

Doer
10-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I still don't get why you like it.Because it's more intelligent than talking about the Yankees' game.

RoyBatty
10-25-2009, 10:33 PM
#Loki

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/PsychoPsonic/Repugs/OppressedChristiansAnim.gif

Edit: I found the bus campaign.
http://www.atheistbus.org.uk/bus-photos/
Not the best campaign. But it's there.

Indeed, something's up. I see no reason why these "humanist" twats need to spam us with their atheist bs. They're as bad as the Jehovah witnesses who come knocking on your door.

Cato
10-26-2009, 04:14 AM
Rabble-rousers of this sort, any sort, atheist or Christian, need a boot in the backside. Perhaps my views are a bit too tyrannical, but I wouldn't care at all if all of the atheist blowards in the world and their esteemed Christian counterparts were buried and their books burned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_books_and_burying_of_scholars

To paraphrase someone that I read once (I seem to recall that it was a dime novel):

"Those who torment the people do not deserve to live."

Stop tormenting the people with atheist and Christian bilge and let them live their lives however they see fit. Let them be atheists or Christians, but stop shoving your beliefs down their throats!

(Not directed at anyone on the forum, just in general. I don't like any group that pimps its beliefs to the public.)

Cato
10-26-2009, 04:27 AM
A latent grumble.

Why don't people, Christian or atheist/secular humanist, allow people to choose for themselves in regards to what to believe? Don't both cults burble on about the precious value of freedom of choice and intellect? I own atheist books and Christian books and no one can accuse me of favoring one over the other. I create my own values in the world; I beed no Bibles or scientific dogmas to guide me. Perhaps it's my latent heathen tendencies, but I highly scorn people who need to rely on the dogmas of others to live their own lives. All they are are the slaves of Jesus or Dawkins when they can't articulate for themselves what to believe. To use another paraphrases:

"I live for myself and only for myself."

Yeah. That's what matters, an egocentric view of the world. Engage in solipsism for once, don't feel bad about being arrogant, and laugh at the people who need a readymade belief system in order to live. You know what's right and what's wrong don't you? Tell these dogmatic pretenders to stick it. Make your own rules up and live according to your own terms. God or no-God can take a back seat for once. :)

Murphy
10-26-2009, 07:33 AM
Yeah, and I'm highlighting Catholic hypocrisy. Catholics (and the Protestants after them) have been shoving their religion down people's throats for 1,600+ years. Atheists haven't been able to speak up until now.

Hey, I have no problem with evangelism, my problem is for people who say they don't want religion shoved down their throats and then go out and shove it down other's throats is simply hypocritical.

They should just come out that they are a religious cult intent on spreading their own gospel. It would make things easier.

Regards,
Eóin.

RoyBatty
10-26-2009, 08:06 AM
I think what people meant is that we're getting tired of religious and dogmatic types (and I INCLUDE "atheists amongst them) who insist on shoving their warez down our throats. In other words, they can do what they like amongst themselves in their spare time but don't harass the rest of us with it.

These "atheists" are up to something. I haven't quite worked out exactly what it is but they're clearly well connected. One avenue to pursue would be to follow the money..... that is always a dead giveaway as to who they are serving and working for.

RoyBatty
10-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Wow, impressive ... I'd like to see the same in London. :)

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/.a/6a00d8341c60fd53ef0120a6669ab9970c-320wi

As has been mentioned before they're already active in London and no, I don't want to or need to see them anymore than I need to see the Pope, the Imam or the skullcap mafia wallbangers.

Cato
10-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Having an appreciation for a particular belief system doesn't mean someone has to become a missionary to the public for it. I admire Jesus, for example, but I don't worship the guy and I don't take it as my life's overreaching goal to spread his message around to the world. Jesus was just one man, a guy who stood a cut above the rest because he had an opinion that went against the status quo and for which the establishment didn't want to hear. As the story goes, he paid the supreme price because he tried to change the world by bringing out in others what he was himself (a divine being, a new sort of human being or whatever). Food for thought: the world doesn't really like radical individualists like Jesus but the world loves lackeys who follow some form of groupthink.