PDA

View Full Version : How do you plan to ring in the New Year?

Vulpix
12-30-2008, 03:20 PM
A simple poll ;).

Also, is it your usual choice or have you decided to do something different this year?

Me: home. I'm not in the mood for partying.

Arrow Cross
12-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I never "party" to begin with.

Lady L
12-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Ah, I never party anymore either...or so it seems. It could be possible though again in about 15 years. :thumb001:

We will probably be spending it at home just like any normal evening. It is sort of an antiversary for me and the Lyfing because when we were 13 he asked me to " go with him " which means .." be his girlfriend " on New Years Eve at exactly midnight, then he says " I love you " and hangs up on me. :D

We spent hours on the phone that evening and at midnight it was topped off by me becoming his girlfriend. :p Ahh memory lane.

This will be our 2nd New Years together since adult hood kicked in, so we might have to bring out some special celebrating but it must be PG since the kids will be wondering around. ;)

Absinthe
12-30-2008, 04:13 PM
I'll be on Mt. Olympus with my boyfriend and another friendly couple, and I'll most likely be drinking the booze my Latvian friends brought me, as well as absinthe :D

Oisín
12-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Head out nice and early, do a tour of the pubs I like then 3 of my mates are DJing so I'll head along to that, stay for the night, good music, plenty of drink, good looking birds - happy days.
House party afterwards, but not at my place :D

Loyalist
12-30-2008, 05:59 PM
At home as usual; I never drink and can't stand "party" atmospheres (alcohol, loud music, unruly behaviour, etc.). I also don't understand this fascination with celebrating the new year, but rather see it as just another excuse to drink and take time off work.

Oisín
12-30-2008, 06:19 PM
At home as usual; I never drink and can't stand "party" atmospheres (alcohol, loud music, unruly behaviour, etc.).
It's called having fun, you should try it:D

I also don't understand this fascination with celebrating the new year, but rather see it as just another excuse to drink and take time off work.

Out with the old in with the new, making a new start etc. It's tradition and it's fun and working every God given second doesn't appeal to me.

Absinthe
12-30-2008, 06:42 PM
...but rather see it as just another excuse to drink and take time off work.

PxymwN7nYQQ

:rolleyes:

Oresai
12-30-2008, 06:59 PM
At home, quietly, but still seeing in the new year and raising a dram of fine whisky to toast in my wishes. :)
Usually here there will be a first foot or three, visitors tend to take three days to work their way round the island. ;)
Got a few small traditions I keep...Black Bun and a dram...keeping the fire alight....(bad bad luck for it to go out) and opening the door at midnight to welcome the year in. :)

TheGreatest
12-30-2008, 08:06 PM
At home as usual; I never drink and can't stand "party" atmospheres (alcohol, loud music, unruly behaviour, etc.). I also don't understand this fascination with celebrating the new year, but rather see it as just another excuse to drink and take time off work.

Yeah I can understand this. I've been to a bunch of Clubs and it wasn't for me.
I imagine the opinion might change if a young woman persuades me to do it. But I generally have more fun being a social drinking. Cracking opening a few beers, watching a movie, talking about stuff and so on. Though don't get the impression that I'm drinking beer in the closet. I've gone to a lot of Taverns and Bars, and met and got to know people.

The whole beating drums and dancing like a savage doesn't appeal to me. It feels primitive in every aspect. You can't even talk to the person your dancing with!
Yeah yeah I know... I'm a Nerd :p

Arrow Cross
12-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Who would have thought it's going to be the Greek and the Irish going out with the alcohol bottle and a few human creatures as an added bonus?

Fortis in Arduis
12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
It is going to be random this year.

In previous years I had a really really good party time.

I messed this one up.. I was supposed to be in Scotland tomorrow evening, but said that I had the flu. Actually it was NOT the flu because it only lasted a short time.

Anyway. Now it turns out that the Aberdonians have the flu and I cannot go up there.

The Irish bunch in London are working, apart from my one friend who I am distributing some prints for, but he is a boring fart... If you want to party that is...

So I do party, I am afraid... I suppose I could just go somewhere rough in town, but who wants to do that? :(

Aemma
12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
How we spend NewYear's Eve varies from year to year for us. I'd say half the time we go to some friends' house to have a nice quiet dinner and hang out and let our kids play while the adults gab over drinks and munchies; the other half of the time, we stay home and spend it like any other evening.

This year we're going to our son's baseball coach's house--she's throwing a bash at her place for kids and adults alike. It'll probably be loud with video games such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band droning on in the background but it should be fun. Besides she doesn't live far so when we've had enough, we just leave and come home. One of our son's best friends is also coming over to stay the night, so that is always fun too! :thumb001:

It'll also be our last blot day for this Yule season too. :)

Cheers!...Aemma

HawkR
12-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Quiet. I no longer see any reasons for celebrating another year of terror, deaths and so on.

Aemma
12-31-2008, 01:44 AM
Quiet. I no longer see any reasons for celebrating another year of terror, deaths and so on.

Pretty hefty words from one so young, Maidz, but well said. I can fully appreciate your sentiment my young friend. :)

Cheers!...Aemma

Oresai
12-31-2008, 06:00 AM
I no longer see any reasons for celebrating another year of terror, deaths and so on.

There`s another way of looking at it...celebrate in spite of the terrorists. Celebrate in defiance of them. Don`t let them win, and keep your spirit unbowed. ;)

Loki
12-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Quiet one at home I guess. I'm not a binge drinker. May get a bottle of something nice to accompany me. I have better hopes for 2009, so it will be a joyous moment for me to wait for the new year.

One of my pet hates is neighbourhood fireworks. :mad:

Stegura
12-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Sadly, I don't have any plans for New Years Eve this year.

I'll be spending it at home with my parents. I haven't done that since I was 17.

Psychonaut
12-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Since it's illegal to set off fireworks on a military installation, we'll take the kids up to the beach that evening. We'll probably do a small, kid-friendly symbel based around New Year's resolutions. After that, it'll probably just be the wife and I sharing a bottle of something.

Skandi
12-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't get a choice??? I'm working from 7pm to 5.30am in one of your dispiced nightclubs! Well at least it's double time. I've worked every new year since I turned 18 and that includes the millenium.

Ulf
01-02-2009, 03:41 AM
I sipped whiskey and played chess and dominoes with the wife.

Arrow Cross
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
I'll be on Mt. Olympus with my boyfriend and another friendly couple, and I'll most likely be drinking the booze my Latvian friends brought me, as well as absinthe :D
So it took you almost five days to recover, huh? :p

Absinthe
01-05-2009, 06:49 PM
So it took you almost five days to recover, huh? :p
LOL, no...

I just took my time away from everything. I had a mobile phone internet connection which was slower than death, good enough only for mail checking and viewing the weather forecasts.
And even if I had a reliable one, I would still take my time away from the internet.

And by the way, I didn't drink as much as expected. It must be the effect of the mountain, that prompts you to a healthier lifestyle.

Pictures coming soon :)

Arrow Cross
01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Good, good. I've threatened my friends that I would tear their tongues out of their mouths and hand them over if they get drunk.

Yes, we are a barbaric people. :vampire

Absinthe
01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
I've threatened my friends that I would tear their tongues out of their mouths and hand them over if they get drunk.

If they drink or if they get drunk? :D

Arrow Cross
01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
If they drink or if they get drunk? :D
The latter, because I cannot check the alcohol level of every single beverage they might smuggle some into. Everything was okay though. They were stronger than the drinks. They wouldn't dare to be weaker...

The only picture I made was about one of them surrendering to the clock at dawntime. Five seconds later, he was like: "I'm awake! I'm awake!"

Absinthe
01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Oh, you see, I am asking, because I can drink a gallon without being (at least obviously) drunk :D And I do know where to stop.

And, yeah, I also find the image of drunken people (especially females) to be aesthetically appalling :(

Arrow Cross
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Getting drunk is for the weak. :p I somehow suspected you have an iron throat when it comes to drinking... if not from your username, avatar, or ancestry, then from your over-confidence.

http://www.warofthering.net/ahobbitstale/movies/rotk_extended43.jpg

SwordoftheVistula
01-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Didn't do anything. My family doesn't celebrate it, and my friends had to work.

Oisín
01-06-2009, 02:01 PM
I didn't get home until Sunday evening, best New Years celebrations ever.

Lady L
01-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Didn't do anything. My family doesn't celebrate it, and my friends had to work.

Why don't they celebrate it..?

SwordoftheVistula
01-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Why don't they celebrate it..?

Because they are religious.

Lady L
01-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Because they are religious.

What does being religious have to do with a New Year..?

safinator
11-27-2011, 06:34 PM
I'll stay with my family as long as midnight but then i'll and go out party with my friends.