PDA

View Full Version : Rangers run by the bank

Graham
10-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Smith reveals Gers bank control

Rangers manager Walter Smith has revealed he is unable to enter the transfer market because the club is being run by the bank.
Smith told BBC Scotland that Rangers were facing difficult times after Sir David Murray stepped down as chairman.

"Now the bank have taken over the running of the club. They'll have their own ideas and obviously investment isn't one of them," Smith said.

"I just think there's a stagnation about our club at the present moment."

With debts in the region of £25m, Smith, 61, has been forced to reduce his squad to about 20 players.

His contract, and that of assistant boss Ally McCoist expire in January, midway through the current season.

However, with the current financial uncertainty at the club it is unclear whether new chairman Alastair Johnston will offer them new deals before the turn of the year.

Rangers drew 1-1 with Hibs at Ibrox on Saturday and lost heavily to Unirea Urziceni in the Champions League in midweek.

And Smith admitted that, with Lloyds Banking Group supervising the club's spending, he was unable to bolster his squad.

"Rangers' situation is quite simple and we've been fairly honest about it for about a year now," he said.

"All the players have been up for transfer. If anybody is telling me that's a motivational factor for any player then they're living in another world from me.

"Our boys have handled the situation well and did extremely well last season to win the league and the cup.

"There are things that are outwith everyone's control. David Murray has been fantastic for Rangers over his 20 years. He's had to step away and now the bank have taken over the running of the club."

Smith added: "So, therefore, we sit and wait for an owner. The club's been up for sale for a period of time and I don't think all those things going on have helped.

"But, from my own point of view, I'm the manager and have to handle that situation. I've no complaints about doing so, despite what I read people saying in the newspapers. I've never once complained.

"I just think there's a stagnation about our club at the present moment. If you don't buy a player for 18 months you get that.

"If that's affecting everybody, well, that's the reason. But the manager takes the responsibility. I'm not ducking that responsibility and will be trying to make sure that our results are the proper ones while I'm still here."

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7426/rfcchangingroom.jpg

whey heeey!!! diddy team :rolleyes:

Murphy
10-25-2009, 01:34 PM
An' Celtic is back on track tae the tap of the league :D!

Regards,
Eóin.

Trog
10-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm changing my bank account.

Murphy
10-25-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm changing my bank account.

Nationwide FTW :D!

Regards,
Eóin.

Beorn