PDA

View Full Version : Immigrants risk public's goodwill over bad habits, admits Latvian minister

Oisín
12-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Immigrants risk public's goodwill over bad habits, admits Latvian minister

The "bad habits" of some immigrants to Ireland could turn the public against them, Latvia's Foreign Minister admitted last night.

The frank comments from Latvia's Artis Pabriks came after a discussion with Foreign Minister Dermot Ahern about the impact of recent traffic accidents on relations between the two countries.

Afterwards, Mr Pabriks agreed to visit Ireland to discuss the issue directly and warned of the potential impact on Irish public opinion.

"We are importing our bad habits, crimes and alcoholism to countries like Ireland, and in the long term it endangers even such things as our ability to protect our interests in EU law," Mr Pabriks said.

"As a foreign minister, I find it very difficult to defend Latvia's position when it comes to free movement of workers or businesses; if their arrival endangers the lifestyle, the stability and the security of that country; if it makes their streets or their lives insecure.

"At one point, it can turn against the immigrants. I don't know what to do yet. We have to think, but it must be stopped."
[Continue reading] (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/immigrants-risk-publics-goodwill-over-bad-habits-admits-latvian-minister-115388.html)

Oisín
12-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Mr Ahern pointed out Ireland's compliance with drink-driving rules was being undermined by the behaviour of some immigrants from Latvia and other East European countries.

"I did signify he should be very concerned over difficult issues in relation to some of his countrymen and women in relation to driving habits," he said.

"We have a compliant nation as regards drink-driving and it is socially unacceptable. The habits of some of the new immigrants, therefore, are causing some very serious concerns."
When a government minister points out the bleeding obvious it's all fine and dandy but when a Nationalist raises concerns about immigrant crime it's racism.
:eusa_doh: