PDA

View Full Version : How much should you plant in your garden to provide a year’s worth of food?

Kazimiera
10-27-2013, 02:12 AM
How much should you plant in your garden to provide a year’s worth of food?

http://www.wellfedhomestead.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/gardenfortheyear1.jpg

Do you know how much your family eats in a year’s time? As a farmer’s wife, I am keenly aware of how much meat, poultry, eggs, honey and dairy we consume. Raising enough food to meet our own needs, as well as an abundance to sell is an integral part of our life. To be honest, it hasn’t been the same with vegetables. I’ve at least attempted a garden most of the years that we have been married. Some years, I was more successful than others. If I didn’t grow it, I bought some produce from local farmers and preserved some foods for the winter: salsa, canned tomatoes, strawberry jam, pickles, and lots of frozen veggies and fruit. Still, I’ve always depended on going grocery shopping. I’ve never preserved everything that we needed for the winter, nor have I ever grown enough to meet all of our family’s needs.

Not long ago, people had to think about how much to grow for the year. They had to plan ahead, save seeds, plant enough for their family, preserve enough, etc. It wasn’t just a hobby. It didn’t take up a 4 foot by 4 foot square in their backyard, next to the beautifully fertilized lawn. It was their yard. It didn’t take a back burner in their spring and summer plans, after camping trips, barbecues and swimming parties. These are all good things, but people had to think about survival first and foremost. Partying came after the harvest. Now days, most of us party first, fertilize our lawns second, go to the grocery store and depend on other people to grow our food (and expect it to be cheap), and then we think about gardening, maybe, if ever, as a hobby.

“Everybody is a part of agriculture whether you want to be or not.”

We’re all a part of agriculture. Even if our part is just being a consumer, getting spinach and rice at the grocery store, we would not survive without agriculture. I, personally, want to be more involved than that. I want to know how much my family eats and how much we need to grow to supply that need. I want to work towards the goal of a completely self-sustaining homestead.

With that in mind, recently, I have been curious about exactly how much my family eats in a year. I started looking through a gardening book that used to belong to my Great Grandmother. I LOVE old books. I love the look of them, the feel of them, and the wisdom in them. I love that my Great Grandmother once thumbed through this very book and gleaned from it. I also have a newer book that I’ve made use of to determine how much to grow. These are the two main resources I used to compile this list:

Want to know how much to plant per person? This is what I found:

Artichokes
1-4 plants per person

Asparagus
10-12 plants per person

Beans, Bush
10-20 plants per person

Beans, Lima
10-20 plants per person

Beans, Pole
10-20 plants per person

Beets
10-20 plants per person

Broccoli
5-10 plants per person

Brussels Sprouts
2-8 plants per person

Cabbage
3-10 plants per person

Carrots
10-40 plants per person

Cauliflower
3-5 plants per person

Celeriac
1-5 plants per person

Celery
3-8 plants per person

Corn
12-40 plants per person

Cucumbers
3-5 plants per person

Eggplant
1 plant per person, plus 2-3 extra per family

Kale
1 5’ row per person

Lettuce
10-12 plants per person

Melons
2-6 plants per person

Onions
40-80 plants per person

Peas
25-60 plants per person

Peppers
5-6 plants per person

Potatoes
10-30 plants per person

Pumpkins
1 plant per person

Rhubarb
2-3 crowns per person

Spinach
10-20 plants per person

Summer Squash
2-4 plants per person

Winter Squash
2 plants per person

Sweet Potatoes
5 plants per person

Tomatoes
2-5 plants per person

Obviously, all of this will vary based on your family’s size, tastes, allergies and climate. If you’re on the GAPS Diet, you’ll obviously plant more squash and leafy greens, and no corn, potatoes or sweet potatoes. If you can grow some of these vegetables year-round, you will be able to grow smaller rows. If you’re doing Square Foot Gardening, you may be able to plant things closer together & thus take up less space in your garden. Never the less, I believe that we all ought to be considering how much we use in a year and how much needs to be grown to supply our family’s needs (whether we are the ones doing the growing or not).

Source: http://www.wellfedhomestead.com/how-much-should-you-plant-in-your-garden-to-provide-a-years-worth-of-food

Jehan
10-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Which size of garden is necessary to plant everything?

Foxy
10-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Wow, that's very much. :eek: Calling it "garden" is reductive.

Rainraven
10-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Bet it could fit if people didn't have such a fixation on growing pointless grass lawns! :thumb001:

♥ Lily ♥
04-13-2015, 06:45 PM
I'd love to have a garden, but I don't have one, I just have a balcony for plants and flowers.

My grandparents had a nice garden and my grandfather grew potatoes, rhubarb, blackberries, green runner beans, baby tomatoes, and a few other things in his garden, and my grandmother would make lovely salads and cakes from the fruits and vegetables that he grew in their garden. They had a nice bird bath and bird table to feed the birds too, and lots of flowers from the seeds they planted each year, so it was very colourful during the Springtime. The fruits and vegetables from their garden tasted much nicer than the ones in the market and more organic, especially the berries and the tomatoes and baby potatoes they grew. My father was raised on a farm and they grew nice vegetables and fruits too. We had a nice apple tree in our garden as a child which I liked and we grew strawberries too.

It seems like a lot of different things need to be planted to provide a years supply of food. *o*