PDA

View Full Version : Finland the World's Most Prosperous nation?

Eldritch
10-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Finland tops global prosperity index

Finland is the world’s most prosperous nation, not only in monetary matters, but in the quality of its democracy and governance, according to the latest Prosperity Index, to be launched by Legatum, the London-based think-tank, this week.

Finland took first prize – up from third last year – and is followed by Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries of Sweden, Denmark and Norway. Zimbabwe ranks last [big surprise there -- Ex.], just ahead of Sudan and Yemen.

Legatum says it is trying to encourage the consideration of factors such as health, freedom, security and political governance as keys to prosperity, rather than material wealth alone.

Its report follows a proclamation in September by a commission created by Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president, which said a country’s gross domestic product is an insufficient measure of well-being.

“The Sarkozy commission has helped advance the debate,” said Dr William Inboden, senior vice-president at Legatum. “We need broader measurements of what is working and what isn’t.”

The Prosperity Index found a separation between growing prosperity in India and Brazil compared with the progress measured in fellow “Brics” China and Russia – both of which lag on issues of governance and political freedom.

“We think there may be some warning signs for Russia and China versus some more positive indicators for Brazil and India,” said Dr Inboden.

“We see a real divide. The rule of law, transparency and accountability are important for sustainable growth.”

The results lend legitimacy to the adage that “money can’t buy happiness”. In the world’s poorest countries, money has a far greater effect on satisfaction than in the wealthier countries.

Link. (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/54fd57dc-c18c-11de-b86b-00144feab49a.html?nclick_check=1)

Then why is that I don't feel particularly prosperous? :coffee:

Finns get paid (relatively) low salaries, yet taxes and prices here are sky-high. People considered "rich" here would be upper middle-class in, say Germany or the US. A liter of gasoline costs as much here as a gallon in the US.

When the €uro was introduced, many people feared it would cause food prices to go through the roof (although politicians of course dismiissed such feas). Well, as Jukka Hankamäki (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243&highlight=hankam%E4ki&page=27) aptly pointed out, a quick visit to a supermarket will prove that those fears were indeed groundless: the prices are still the same, only the currency is different. :rolleyes:

[1€ = six former Finnish Marks]

As for money noy buying happiness, that's certainly true. However what it does buy is the absence of a lot of unhappiness.

As for all the other factors such as safety, security, democracy, blah blah blah, that'll soon be history since the current government's top priority (it almost seems like their only priority) is drowning the country in as many African and Middle Eastern immigrants as possible. :coffee:

Ankoù
10-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Well, as Jukka Hankamäki (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243&highlight=hankam%E4ki&page=27) aptly pointed out, a quick visit to a supermarket will prove that those fears were indeed groiundless: the prices are still the same, only the currency is different. :rolleyes:

[1€ = six former Finnish Marks]

Same here, I suppose it is the case everywhere in the Eurozone.

Matritensis
10-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Finns get paid (relatively) low salaries, yet taxes and prices here are sky-high. People considered "rich" here would be upper middle-class in, say Germany or the US. A liter of gaseline costs as much here as a gallon in the US.

I agree,taxes in Finland are really high,but that's how the people(well,some people)wanted it,otherwise you cannot pay for the welfare state model imported from Sweden.And you get a lot less for your money too,since everything is so damn expensive,very specially things considered as "luxuries"(like eating out,taxis,and even espresso coffee!).You cannot have everything,I'm afraid...

Lahtari
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh no, not again.. :speechless-smiley-0

So, again some group of ignorant foreigners relying on manipulated government statistics decided to rank us first in something. The result: more pompous people telling everyone how good we are, more people thinking that we're doing great and forgetting the problems.

Let's do an index that compares at least the following things:

- The power of cartels, monopolies and unelected officials.
- Political, economic and societal freedom of choice.
- Centralization of media and information.
- Efficiency and cost of administration.

And I'm sure we'd be left behind even by many ex-east-bloc countries. :coffee:

Motörhead Remember Me
10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I agree,taxes in Finland are really high,but that's how the people(well,some people)wanted it,otherwise you cannot pay for the welfare state model imported from Sweden.And you get a lot less for your money too,since everything is so damn expensive,very specially things considered as "luxuries"(like eating out,taxis,and even espresso coffee!).You cannot have everything,I'm afraid...

A note; the Finnish wellfare model was not imported from Sweden, it is a Finnish welfare version on same grounds and visions.

Motörhead Remember Me
10-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Let's do an index that compares at least the following things:

- The power of cartels, monopolies and unelected officials.
- Political, economic and societal freedom of choice.
- Centralization of media and information.
- Efficiency and cost of administration.

And I'm sure we'd be left behind even by many ex-east-bloc countries. :coffee:

Well, I'm not. Although I'm a bit surprised that Finland is rated before Norway, I'm sure that we are much better off than 95% of all other nations. But one things is right,Lahtari. A few big retail chains are undoubtly engaged in cartelling an pumping up the prices shamelessly.

Lysander
10-27-2009, 01:16 PM
The Swedish/Finnish/Nordic whatever well fare system is an idiotic system, it can only work if
a) the economical growth is substantial
b) people have more children than the previous generation did (at least x2)

Then why was Sweden able to do this? Well one could say that Sweden was the only heavily industrialized nation left in Europe after WW2 raped the continent. Sweden's infrastructure as well as industries had been left untouched after the war, and they were able to export shit loads of stuff out to Europe.
Now that other nations have caught up, especially Germany, the industrial hearth of Europe, the system doesn't work any more.
Another reason why the system doesn't work is because whites don't like children for some reason, one or two is enough. That's why the government claims they need immigration. And the point hadn't been so idiotic if there were jobs for them (from an exclusively economical point of view). Problem is that the jobs are moving to India and China.

This system will never hold, it can only lead to over population and when it comes down it will bring all hell with it.

Brännvin
10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
A note; the Finnish wellfare model was not imported from Sweden, it is a Finnish welfare version on same grounds and visions.

Indeed, each Nordic country has its own welfare model, but it's funny to see who is outside always talking shit out of ass :speechless-smiley-0 :banghead:

Hweinlant
10-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Nah, Finns RULE, you better learn facts of life. All this bitching will only make you look like sore losers. Get over with it. This is purely genetic/racial thing, we are better than tho'. Too bad. Long live Finland. Next Step: Great Finland, half of Norway and all the way to Urals, Finnish land.