PDA

View Full Version : controversial jewish rule

Mortimer
10-28-2013, 01:53 PM
one jew said it is only way to be genetically jewish if your mother is jewish on JTF
here is my opinion
it is not only way to be genetically jewish if your mother is jewish thats nonsense, males are not jewish what are they? it doesnt matter nowadays because we have genetic tests but in the past when there werent it was the only way to know for sure

and i could be maternally jewish directly without knowing it and that my mum is not jew by identity or culture or religion. and someone could have a jewish mum who is a convert, thats a religious rule which doesnt make much sense nowadays. a genetic test will Show if you are jewish.

Sblast
10-28-2013, 06:42 PM
'Ancient Judaism' was patrilineal (someone's a Jew when he's born to Jewish father). It's sociology, there's nothing magical about it, don't take too seriously.
I don't think genetic tests will show you are a "Jew", what it will is show you have certain genes in common with certain populations. No one is born a "Jew" or a "Christian" or "Druze" in any substantive sense, but rather born to a parents of a certain tradition.
I think you should weigh your possibilities according to what's rational for you to do in the most concrete terms you can, maybe regardless of what your grandmother thought at the time was a good idea or not.

Smaug
10-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Not genetically, but culturally if you mother is Jewish so are you.

Afrojew
10-28-2013, 06:51 PM
one jew said it is only way to be genetically jewish if your mother is jewish on JTF
here is my opinion
it is not only way to be genetically jewish if your mother is jewish thats nonsense, males are not jewish what are they? it doesnt matter nowadays because we have genetic tests but in the past when there werent it was the only way to know for sure

and i could be maternally jewish directly without knowing it and that my mum is not jew by identity or culture or religion. and someone could have a jewish mum who is a convert, thats a religious rule which doesnt make much sense nowadays. a genetic test will Show if you are jewish.

If you ainīt jewish there wonīt be any Reason to stay in Israel, Goyim.

Sblast
10-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Not genetically, but culturally if you mother is Jewish so are you.

Grown up to be if she chooses to introduce you into that culture.

YeshAtid
10-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Judaism is not genetic, matrilineal descent is only used to ascertain whether or not the child has been born of a Jew, so that traditions can be passed on.