All Blog Entries

1. I was walking down the hall one day

I was walking down the hall one day last year. I was walking fast, as I always do. At work when I have to go somewhere I am always in a hurry. I work in a hospital.

There was an old woman in the hall, a patient. She was moving slowly, using her walker for support. It was plain to see that every step was an effort of will over weariness. She was tiny; the top of her white-haired head didn't stand as far from the ground as my chest.

I passed her on the right, slowing a ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Interest prefers personal loan over credit card debt

If you need charge card debt relief, pay no attention to the ads on the Internet or late-night TV. Sometimes to get things right you've to do it yourself. You may want to think about a personal unsecured loan. Personal responsibility is the most direct route to a better credit rating and substantial savings on reduced interest rates within the future. Source for this article - Using a personal loan for credit card debt could be interesting by Money Blog Newz

The expenses ...
  3. More Important than Money

One of my patients several years ago was a man in his late 80's. His health was failing rapidly, and he knew he didn't have many days left. It was said that he was a millionaire.
    Near the end he was asked if there was anyone we could call, and he said no. I know that he had grown children and even grandchildren, but there was nobody there for him. He told one of the nurses about two days before he died that he had spent his whole life making himself rich and letting his wife raise the kids. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Leaving the Desert

I wrote this when I had come to a fork in the road. I decided to give up a secure job that was killing me for an uncertain future.

Three years later, things are working out very well...

The definition of a desert is quite specific. To qualify as a desert an area must recieve less than 250 mm of precipitation annually. Something like one third of the surface of the earth is desert.

There are others sorts of deserts, though. There
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Hate Speech Laws and the dilemma of being a Canadian

What is my view on Hate Speech Laws? I ask myself this question given that I actively participate in a free-speech forum touching on all kinds of issues from a life well lived and yet I do live in a country with such laws. I feel a need to at least work through some of this antitheticalness in my being.

I readily admit to wavering lately on the issue of the appropriateness of Hate Speech Laws inasmuch as I do recognise the slippery slope of censorship: Today I cannot say something ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized