All Blog Entries

1. The Arrogance of America

A few years ago I was/am a member of a Pakistan-centric site. I was there mostly for the intellectual workout, like going to the gym. What got annoying was not the anti-American bias, so much as the unreasoning aspect of it, and the hypocrisy of those pointing fingers.

I'm getting really tired of teaching U.S. history to those who cannot see past their own preconcieved ideas and cherished prejudices. That America came to be at all is a miracle. Political compromise was required to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Road Song

There's a unique feeling when you're alone on the road. You look in your rearview mirror; Nothing. You strain your eyes forward; no movement breaks the shimmering mirage thar warps the horizon.
    Something inside you changes. Deep in your gut the faintest tickle of unease stirs. The hairs on the back of your neck are primed to rise up at any stimulus at all. you're alone, more alone, somehow, behind the wheel, than if you were afoot.
    You switch off the radio. Something about the music ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Reaping the Whirlwind

How many people prepare for the hard times?
    I do. I always have. I think I understand why:

I was raised that way. I absorbed the idea that part of being a man was being ready. If a blizzard moved in for a few days, if the power went down for several days, if you lost your income for months, you were supposed to be able to eat and feed and protect youself and your own, as well as being ready to reach out to those who were in over their heads.
    I remember clearly (I was a teenager) ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Evergreen

Today I asked for some snow and received some. It has been snowing steadily since mid-afternoon after a mere teasing of scattered flurries since this morning. It's beautiful outside this evening. The snow resembles the silky softness of a dusting of powdered sugar on an as yet untouched cake. I feel safe and warm in my cocoon and am enjoying the pleasure of my own solitude and being. It's during quiet and deeply reflective moments such as these that I feel most alive. Ironic: snow covers, muffles, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. A Rant about Fools- The Bad Day Blues

(I love debating things with people who have the background and interest to hold my attention. That's one reason I decided to hang our here for a while.
    Sad to say, some people don't know what they don't know. Be thankful if you aren't related to anybody like that.)

I find myself surrounded by morons. Everything they say is infantile and foolish, but my mind is so mired in the bog that I can't elucidate why they are all so stupid, or what it is that they are wrong about. I ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized