Kiyant

Ahiska Turks and their "destiny"

Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average.
Under Soviet Russia there were many Turkic people and in WW2 they were drafted (estimated over 150.000) into the army and fought battles againt Nazi Germany. Ahiska Türks (in English Meskhetian Turks) from teenagers to men as old as 40s also took part in the conflict. They joined the ranks (estimated over 40.000) of the Soviets without any resistance, in fact many of them were thinking they were defending their villages from a possible Nazi invasion. Some of them went as far as into to Germany, survivors recieved medals from Soviet army.

But after the war was over (well actually in 1944 July), sufferings of the Ahiska Türks started. Stalin decided to deport all of the Ahiska Türks to into the middle Asia. The Soviet army marched into villages, gave the people 2 hours to prepare for the journey. It was a suprise for the people. Soldiers kicked out the families who resisted, they couldnt understand why, war veterans tried to reason with the soldiers, showed their medals of honour given by the same army who now trying to get rid of them.

People (estimated over 110.000, not included people who managed to escape into Türkiye) were stuffed on freight trains until there were no space left in the wagons. They travelled without food or water, save what they could have gathered/carried with them. Army only stopped the trains once a day to throw away the death ones (estimated over 30.000). And when they arrived (took one and half month) the destination (Kazakistan, Özbekistan and Kirgizistan), they were left to fend for themself. The locals treated them with prejudice, Ahiska Türks had to prove their Turkicness.

Kara Aliyev who was 103 years old in 2003 says "...later we arrived to Kazakhstan, we were left alone there; no house, no food. For 3-4 years we couldnt recovered..." He was a war veteran who fought in the Ukraine front.

Ensar Osmanov who was 84 years old in 2003 says "...they gave me medals but then they took my family..." refering the deaths of his family. He was a war veteran who fought in the Berlin front.

Yirgat Yusubov who was 82 years old in 2003 says "...when I returned home from war, I found my village is habited by Armenians and Georgian so I went to Kazakhstan to find my family..." He was a war veteran who fought in the Berlin front.

Why the communist regime did that? What was the official reason?
But anyway today some say Stalin feared a possible influence from Türkiye. Some say this was a plan to spread the minorities along the country. Some say it is part of a greater plan to put minorities against each other, to let them eat each other up. Some say regime didnt want muslim communities on its borders.

Can this be labeled as death march? An ethnic cleanness? A genocide? Should or did Russia paid compensation to current survivors? Nevertheless it is a tragedy. What did Ahiska Turks do wrong?

Submit "Ahiska Turks and their "destiny"" to Digg Submit "Ahiska Turks and their "destiny"" to del.icio.us Submit "Ahiska Turks and their "destiny"" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ahiska Turks and their "destiny"" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

:no no
    :thumb001:
    They were probably among the same ones who committed the mass rapes in Berlin. It's been documented that it was the Central Asian soldiers who did the most raping.
    Updated 02-03-2014 at 04:43 PM by McCauley
    Quote Originally Posted by McCauley
    They were probably among the same ones who committed the mass rapes in Berlin. It's been documented that it was the Central Asian soldiers who did the most raping.
    Ahiska Turks arent central asians just saying.....
    Imo, Stalin was a traitor and more of a fascist than anything. His propaganda posters prove this, where he promotes racial purity and the "White race".

He hated all non-whites.
    Quote Originally Posted by ☭Communist_Karker☭
    Imo, Stalin was a traitor and more of a fascist than anything. His propaganda posters prove this, where he promotes racial purity and the "White race".

He hated all non-whites.