Darwin--Spencer--Marx
    Religion
    Against all Gods
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 10

4 Not allowed!

Default What is your Ethical Ideal?

My ethical ideal stems from an objective structural context of genetic self-interest. Whatever increases the biological fitness of my group is good, and whatever decreases it is bad. Man's purpose, viewed in the framework of my version of evolutionary ethics, may be defined as the effective replication of "selfish genes". By group, I understand breeding population. By purpose, I mean anything that serves a purpose, for example the human eyes are tremendously purposive, but I do not mean to imply that they have a literal designer.

The "self" is a vehicle created by genes with the purpose of replicating more genes. The individual does not exist in meaningful terms; a person can only be defined in relation to external objects, not in isolation. The human body requires air & nutrients and so on to survive and therefore the definition of the individual must include its environment and external relationships. In further examples, what defines a chair is its relationship to external objects in that we use it to sit on, a cup is defined by its purpose as a vessel we use to drink from. Therefore, in isolation, a chair, cup, or person does not have a reality.

I am not committing the naturalistic fallacy from deriving value from fact because I solve the is-ought problem by clarifying that "ought" means an action which is necessitated by reasons stemming from a structured context. For example, "it is lightning, therefore it ought to thunder". Now, some "oughts" are hypothetical since they follow from other "oughts" that no-one is compelled to accept. However, there are some structured contexts that nobody can avoid such as evolutionary theory. Man cannot escape evolution, therefore is logically compelled to act in a manner that is conducive to group survival because of evolutionary strategies such as kin selection which favours the reproductive success of the group. Even if people don't or refuse to act for the good of the group, they cannot escape this reality.

Last Online
    09-17-2023 @ 02:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Lithuanian
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 911
    Given: 1,954

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal Meth View Post
    However, there are some structured contexts that nobody can avoid such as evolutionary theory. Man cannot escape evolution, therefore is logically compelled to act in a manner that is conducive to group survival because of evolutionary strategies such as kin selection which favours the reproductive success of the group. Even if people don't or refuse to act for the good of the group, they cannot escape this reality.
    1. According to you, any action is conducive to survival of a group. That means ethically individual can do anything and therefore there is no ethics which would determine if an action is ethical.
    2. You don't specify for what groups survival individual is acting. It could be specie, race, ethnicity, religious group. Different actions for interests of different groups, would still be ethical, according to you.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Lithuanian
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

I don't have an ethical ideal. I have spectrum of morality from most moral to most immoral:
    - Negation of the world
    - Compassion
    - Courtesy
    - Rudeness
    - Cruelty

Last Online
    11-26-2013 @ 04:54 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Russian; also Breton and Dutch
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    Green, libertarian, social democrat
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

2 Not allowed!

My ethical opinions are that "Life-Fulfillment" or "flourishing" are the greatest goods. Exactly what the value of life-fulfillment is varies between people, but the everyone's personal flourishing will have some things in common. Like being moral rather than immoral leads to a greater life-fulfillment. The value of the thing itself is a little hard to explain. I think the state of having not regretted one's life, having meaning connected with it, would be important. Life-fulfillment takes into account animals as well, as we can see that animals enjoy their lives in a way similar to but different to us. Their's is a fulfillment of pleasure, while humans have an existential (meaning/purpose-oriented) component. As for what moral laws are preeminent, I think that the categorical imperative is most basic and important.

Todo aquél que ama es un guerrero. Feral's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-13-2023 @ 01:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feral warrior caste.
    Ethnicity
    Latinoamericano Argentino.
    Ancestry
    HAR1F
    Country
    Argentina
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med + Amerindio + CM?.
    Politics
    Corpus Callosum.
    Religion
    Non-dogmatic virtue ethicist.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,105
    Given: 2,036

0 Not allowed!

A combination of chaotic good and lawful good.

http://easydamus.com/chaoticgood.html
    http://easydamus.com/lawfulgood.html

</nerd>
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Last Online
    05-01-2015 @ 10:41 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance, Hellenic, Semitic, Turkic
    Ethnicity
    Ubermensch
    Ancestry
    Judea, Kavkaz, Utopia, Londonium, Manchuria, Sumeria
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    City of London
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Politics
    Neo-classical liberalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,733
    Given: 1,269

0 Not allowed!

I'm somewhat veered towards Kant's notion that all people are inherently rational, and that when certain circumstances require it most will exercise their cognitive reasoning in order to find a solution. Therefore, I don't feel that imposing any kind of moral imperative upon the masses will be beneficial in creating a more "ethical" society, in fact one could even go so far as to argue that by doing so man's rebellious nature is engendered, leading to an increase in "immoral" behavior. This is often coupled with Jeremy Bentham's brainchild(pardon the cliche) of Utilitarianism, wherein man as a collective should seek to maximise the pleasure felt by people whilst minimising any form of pain.This is indeed based on the presumption that humans are rational enough to deem this to be a desired societal outcome, and so will take great pains and compromises to fully attain this aim. If these two rather abstract ideas were conjoined, then society would be a far more conducive and happy society, but alas this seems to be quite a "tall order", hence I'll remain thoroughly misanthropic
    Last edited by YeshAtid; 12-07-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Female members had better get scared and run for their heads because Gigolo's micropenis grew by another micrometre and is going to penetrate your uterus and is gonna tear off your falopian tubes, go Gigolo!

Banned
    Last Online
    12-09-2013 @ 04:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Kiwi
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 14

0 Not allowed!

utilitarian consequentialist policies within a consistent deontological framework (e.g. a constitution)

character/virtue issues should be practical and would be dealt with at the local level ofc
    Last edited by maxpayne3; 12-09-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Last Online
    09-21-2014 @ 12:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    CommonSense
    Religion
    Direct Reality
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,197
    Given: 3,880

3 Not allowed!

These precepts which are universal

Not causing harm to any being
    Not taking of what is not given
    Not distorting reality/lying
    No sexual misconduct ( sexy romantic, caring is ok, no weird shit though
    No clouding of the mind (drugs, alcohol, fanatical thinking etc

There is no way anyone can go wrong following these 5 precepts, they are the base of ethics. The more you get away frrom following these 5 precepts the less ethical you will be, no matter how much you disagree.

The short version is: Do no harm, Do good, Train your mind.
    A Fanatical Buddhist

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Lithuanian
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arcticwolf View Post
    Not causing harm to any being
    Those who harm, suffer more than the harmed. I believe in karma.
    Not taking of what is not given
    Greed and vanity cloud the riches of the spirit.
    Not distorting reality/lying
    Liars have the most time to tell lies to themselves and therefore they are the most deceived.
    No sexual misconduct ( sexy romantic, caring is ok, no weird shit though
    Sex clouds the mind. It is the opposite of intelligence.
    No clouding of the mind (drugs, alcohol, fanatical thinking etc
    Those who seek the most pleasure with drugs and alcohol, will experience the most suffering. As pleasure is not the nature of this world.
    Tortured souls seeking redemption in material find physical torture instead.
    There is no way anyone can go wrong following these 5 precepts
    I agree.

Ascended into a higher realm
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,194
    Given: 58,968

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Breedingvariety View Post
    1. According to you, any action is conducive to survival of a group. That means ethically individual can do anything and therefore there is no ethics which would determine if an action is ethical.
    2. You don't specify for what groups survival individual is acting. It could be specie, race, ethnicity, religious group. Different actions for interests of different groups, would still be ethical, according to you.
    yeah just wanted to say the same, he could view humans as a group or whites or french etc. i know he means whites though most people do when they talk about breeding populations and genes

i think im a anthropocentrist and humanist, i follow also the golden rule, and im also enviromentalist and animal lover
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]

Hm he has mastered chakra...can he do romjutsu... - Balkanforum user Floki
    then you must be some kind of wizzard who has lightning in his eyes - Balkanforum user Cobra about Mortimer
    Only a Sinti and Roma who has gained the power of the wheel can do it. - In conversation with the Balkanforum user Axer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information